Sean

Whistleblower

In case anyone is interested in what is said by, not about, libertarians, there's always this:

On 1/31/2020 at 7:22 AM, Plenipotentiary Tom said:

Libertarians want the old Rand Paul back

"Glad Rand Paul could find a purpose in Washington once it became clear that the right doesn't care about the size of government," quipped HotAir blogger and anti-Trump conservative Allahpundit yesterday. "Nothing says 'libertarian' like [checks notes] intimidating people who allege abuses of government power."

"I am seriously struggling to find consistency between the purported libertarian philosophy of Rand Paul and his desire to place a lawful whistleblower in harm's way," tweeted national security lawyer and legal pundit Bradley Moss.

Even Rep. Justin Amash (I–Mich.)—one-third of the once libertarian-leaning Republican trio that included Rand Paul and Kentucky Rep. Thomas Massie—had what seemed to be a criticism of Paul's Trump rally comments. On Monday night, Amash tweeted:

Libertarians, constitutional conservatives, and classical liberals believe in protecting whistleblowers to expose government corruption. Trump Republicans believe in exposing whistleblowers to protect government corruption.

Paul himself was once a more robust defender of whistleblowers and advocated expanding protections for them. Back in 2014, Paul told a Campaign for Liberty conference audience that he was considering ways to "expand the whistleblower statute to government contractors," not just employees. "We've got so many millions of government contractors that when they see something wrong, they should be able to report it without repercussions," he said.

On Monday night, Republican 2020 presidential candidate Joe Walsh called on Paul "to have the courage to immediately find the other Rand Paul," the one Walsh "used to admire." He also accused Paul of being "emasculated by Donald Trump."

Perhaps we should summon Snowden before Congress to talk about how whistleblowers are treated once outed? I think he'd join me in agreeing with Justin Amash above.

Rand doesn't agree? Well, if he wants the whistleblower outed, he should have at it.

"Under that statute, protected status is given to an official who reports on intelligence activities within the jurisdiction of the director of national intelligence," writes McCarthy. "The statute does not apply to the president's conducting of foreign policy, including his communications with foreign heads of state."

And yet… The question of whether people can legally name the whistleblower is separate from whether they should.

Paul could legally name the person right now. What's stopping him? ("Naturally, he wants someone else to take the heat while he carps from the well-appointed cheap seats," McCarthy suggests.)

7 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

When some moron kills the guy, charge everyone who outed him as accessories to murder. 

Folks will think twice about putting people at risk. 

Then, watch President Trump pardon each one and trot them out on the campaign trail as patriots. 

19 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Karma's a mofo.  Sooner or later some other asshole will dox him. Only a matter of time. 

he needs another beat down from his neighbor...

10 hours ago, dacapo said:

he needs another beat down from his neighbor everybody within a fifty mile radius...

Expanded the range slightly.

Donald Trump fires intelligence watchdog who sparked impeachment process

The US president chose a Friday night, with America consumed by the coronavirus pandemic, to tell the House of Representatives and Senate intelligence committees of his decision to dismiss Michael Atkinson.

In a letter, Trump claimed it was “vital” that he had confidence in the appointees serving as inspectors general, and “that is no longer the case with regard to this inspector general”.

The president would nominate an individual who has his full confidence at a later date, he added.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/apr/04/donald-trump-fires-intelligence-watchdog-michael-atkinson-impeachment

Dead of night on a Friday . . . 

yup, that is news dump time. 

I'm sure the Reich will cheer wildly 

EUu0goAWsAIAhMa?format=jpg&name=medium

1 minute ago, Mid said:

EUu0goAWsAIAhMa?format=jpg&name=medium

I guess that's up to Mitch McConnell to decide.

You're fucked.

• Like 1

EUu-4JHXQAI-56r?format=jpg&name=medium

14 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

Look for more late night, quiet firings.  And, away we go!

Trump Proceeds With Post-Impeachment Purge Amid Pandemic

Thanks Mr.'s Bus and Mid - 

Good catches. And jeez where are our little friends on the Reich who normally jump in ? (WaPo) 

The outgoing inspector general for the U.S. intelligence community fired Friday by Donald Trump was legally required to alert Congress to a whistleblower complaint about the president’s troubling Ukraine phone call last year, he said in a statement Sunday.

Michael Atkinson said he was “legally obligated to ensure that whistleblowers had an effective and authorized means to disclose urgent matters.”

Trump has told aides he believed Atkinson was disloyal to him when he informed Congress of the complaint that led to the president’s impeachment. 

On 4/4/2020 at 3:30 PM, Ishmael said:

Moscow Mitch will decide....... No he won’t, he will completely ignore it.

You're totally fucked.

FIFY

1 hour ago, AJ Oliver said:

Trump has told aides he believed Atkinson was disloyal to him when he informed Congress of the complaint that led to the president’s impeachment. 

Shitstain must think he is Louie XIV, l’etat c’est moi.

2 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

Unfortunately, the rest of that concept is bearing down on us. Après moi, le déluge .

13 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

If the Reich is not checked fairly soon, they will purge the gimmint of professionals who put country above party or Fuhrer. 

All this retaliation . . Crozier, Vindman, Atkinson, . . is purposeful.  

That is what authoritarians do - check out Turkey, Hungary, Poland not to mention the original Reich 

The old style professionals are not being taken out and shot yet, but all of them have had their lives threatened by the minions of the Reich. 

9 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:
9 hours ago, jerseyguy said:

If the Reich is not checked fairly soon, they will purge the gimmint of professionals who put country above party or Fuhrer. 

All this retaliation . . Crozier, Vindman, Atkinson, . . is purposeful.  

That is what authoritarians do - check out Turkey, Hungary, Poland not to mention the original Reich 

The old style professionals are not being taken out and shot yet, but all of them have had their lives threatened by the minions of the Reich. 

The threats against Dr. Fauci are particularly troubling.

Right now, I think those threats are fairly hollow, issued by whack jobs. And it's very much in the Trump Admin's interest to keep a lid on them FOR NOW.

OTOH it is handy, in the event of a real power struggle, to be able to have your opponents taken out and shot. Or simply disappeared.

- DSK

9 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Unfortunately, the rest of that concept is bearing down on us. Après moi, le déluge .

If le deluge is a flood then maybe it will wash away Trump, his band of cretins and all vestages of their ever having existed.

if le deluge is the Revolution, I’m certainly not looking forward to living through one, but there is this from Jefferson to Madison:

“I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical.”

If only the Senate had done its job

2 hours ago, jerseyguy said:

If le deluge is a flood then maybe it will wash away Trump, his band of cretins and all vestages of their ever having existed.

if le deluge is the Revolution, I’m certainly not looking forward to living through one, but there is this from Jefferson to Madison:

“I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical.”

If only the Senate had done its job

They did, they funnelled a lot of money to their backers.

Oh, that serve the people thing? Fuck that, there's no money there.

"While I understand that the President can remove Inspectors General for cause, I am disappointed and saddened that President Trump has decided to remove me as the Inspector General of the Intelligence Community because I did not have his 'fullest confidence,'" IC Inspector General Michael Atkinson said in a statement late Sunday. "It is hard not to think that the President's loss of confidence in me derives from my having faithfully discharged by legal obligations as an independent and impartial Inspector General, and from my commitment to continue to do so."

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/inspector-general-fired-trump-urges-whistleblowers-speaking/story?id=69996999