She crossed the Atlantic as mostly a passenger on a Open 60. She appeared in front of recalcitrant U.S. Congressional lawmakers and spoke her mind.

What have we done lately?

This girl...this young girl...even with whatever support of adults she may have, sailed across the Atlantic on a fucking sexy ocean racer and laid out what we all know needs to be said...she can say the things we can't....because she has nothing, and everything to lose...

I want to sail across the Atlantic on an Open 60. I want people to listen to me about climate change but I know that is not going to happen, so I celebrate her. When I was her age I was sailing small boats on an inland lake but I also got to spend time on the helm of a 72 foot wood ketch in the Apostle islands on Lake Superior. It seems like ages ago. It was a different time but looking back I can see how different the world was. There was no giant garbage patch. Coral reefs were not dying. Micro plastics were not showing up in the bloodstreams of fish in the Great  Lakes. There was still commercial fishing n the Great Lakes for native species. there wasn't rafts of plastic garbage in the marinas. 

I know this the world is not the same as it was 40 some years ago, but can anyone say it has gotten better?

No one is asking you to embrace Greta as a spokesperson for whatever group who is aiding her...just listen to her and your own children and grandchildren, and remember the world we once had, accept what know to be true and do something to help.

13CLI-GRETA3-superJumbo.jpg

merlin_161009043_bcf8e2dd-50f8-48f4-875f-639487414ebc-superJumbo.jpg

• Like 10

With the greatest possible respect: this thread has zero to do with sailing and should be moved to Political Anarchy where it belongs

• Like 14
  • Downvote 2

17 minutes ago, EvaOdland said:

She crossed the Atlantic as mostly a passenger on a Open 60.

Fixed.

• Like 3

I find it sad that so many sailors could give a shit about the environment, if anyone should be aware of the changes that have already occurred it is us, in my many decades on the water I have seen some of these. If you think the coming changes will be good for you and your area you are either extremely fortunate or just kidding yourself. Of course since the average age of most posters is such we will be dead before the shit really hits the fan so not my problem.

• Like 13

Well said d'ranger, but for one small thing.  What about our children's, children?  If we do sweet fuck all then who is going to do it?

• Like 1

This "Climate Change" nonsense is concealing the real problem.

We are poisoning the planet with our plastic and waste and governments are unwilling to address the problems. Why?

Because every economic system we have only works with perpetual growth. Growth of population and growth of consumption. No one can fix this without crashing the system, and no government would propose restrictions on the number of children you are allowed as it would be political suicide.

Instead we are told that the planet is warming -because of us -and the best way forward is to tax us.

• Like 6

Yeah, but is everyone here forgetting that the entirety of US congress is bought and paid for through lobbying? Oh and is old as fuck.

Who the fuck is going to listen to a 16 year old who says "you shouldn't let companies pollute the Earth with plastics or CO2" when they are 70 years old and have someone offering them ten million dollars to not stop companies from doing something which won't effect them because they're going to die before it matters.

Every sane person cares.

But there's only one solution which I see... and it is just like something which happens in a couple days...

"Storm Area 51, They Can't Stop All of Us"

area51.jpg

• Like 1

We do all have to do our bit. But sailing across the pond to avoid one flight, but resulting in 3 people flying across to take the boat back, and the crew that took her over flying back to Europe, thus causing four people to fly instead of one is hypocritical in my view.

• Like 5
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Chimp too said:

We do all have to do our bit. But sailing across the pond to avoid one flight, but resulting in 3 people flying across to take the boat back, and the crew that took her over flying back to Europe, thus causing four people to fly instead of one is hypocritical in my view.

It is really disappointing that they couldn't organise themselves to do their "stunt" properly (why on earth did they have to change crew!). Nevertheless crossing the Atlantic on a boat was a really good idea, I am sure that most people assume you can't sail across oceans unless you are called Christopher Columbus. Global warming and mass pollution is a reality unless you happen to be living in a cave watching commercial TV and reading tabloids. At some point we will be overtaken by the physical reality and if there are alternatives ready it will be less painful to react.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Chimp too said:

She stopped flying in 2015. Would it have been better her to start flying again just for this trip?

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Chimp too said:

yeah, sitting and typing about hypocrites is sooooo cool....

6 hours ago, Svanen said:

With the greatest possible respect: this thread has zero to do with sailing and should be moved to Political Anarchy where it belongs

Anyone who thinks that the survival of the human race is 'political' is a fuckwit.

That's you clearly.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 3

9 minutes ago, random said:

Anyone who thinks that the survival of the human race is 'political' is a fuckwit.

That's you clearly.

It's clearly not about sailing, either. That's why it doesn't belong here. And Greta tries to talk to politicians, so that's CLEARLY where any topic like this belongs. 

It doesn't belong in "Sailing" just because that incidentally was her method for travelling. It doesn't belong to "Train lovers" when she decides to take a train. 

It belongs to "Politics". 

• Like 7
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, NORBowGirl said:

It's clearly not about sailing, either. That's why it doesn't belong here. And Greta tries to talk to politicians, so that's CLEARLY where any topic like this belongs. 

It doesn't belong in "Sailing" just because that incidentally was her method for travelling. It doesn't belong to "Train lovers" when she decides to take a train. 

It belongs to "Politics". 

Sailors expect to foil without catching a garbage bag, they expect the boat they bought for six or seven figures to be capable of surviving the conditions thrown at it.

The climate is sailing, things that affect sailing are not political, they are here and now.  If you think differently then you are wrong.

But in the end, if we have difficulty surviving, no one will be sailing for fun.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, random said:

Sailors expect to foil without catching a garbage bag, they expect the boat they bought for six or seven figures to be capable of surviving the conditions thrown at it.

The climate is sailing, things that affect sailing are not political, they are here and now.  If you think differently then you are wrong.

But in the end, if we have difficulty surviving, no one will be sailing for fun.

Again, these are political questions and not something that this forum is about. 

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

When calling people right wingers and then saying put partisan bullshit aside sounds like this should be in PA where it belongs. 

I took the screen shot from the link above. It’s the news on the FP.  I can’t stand the hate involving political conversation and avoid it. 

CF19471C-74AF-471C-B79D-2DE8738F2834.jpeg

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, NORBowGirl said:

Again, these are political questions and not something that this forum is about. 

Garbage bags in the ocean are not political.

Those who think that discussing climate is political are the problem.

• Like 3

Funny how no one mentions the charter fee.  What would the round trip cost be for a boat like that ?  $100,000 at least.

1 minute ago, savoir said:

Funny how no one mentions the charter fee.  What would the round trip cost be for a boat like that ?  $100,000 at least.

So?  Is that $100000 worth of sunshine or oil?

To some fuckwits, everything is about $s.

2 hours ago, yikes said:

yeah, sitting and typing about hypocrites is sooooo cool....

The purpose of the trip was to get to the USA in the most environmentally friendly manner. Flying there would have been far more effective than the chosen solution. That is all I am saying.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NORBowGirl said:

why bother, Random just takes a position that suits trolling. 

43 minutes ago, Chimp too said:

The purpose of the trip was to get to the USA in the most environmentally friendly manner. Flying there would have been far more effective than the chosen solution. That is all I am saying.

She probably could achieved more by doing conference calls from home rather than any sort of travel.  Business travel makes up 30-40% of miles flown and these days much of what is done on trips can be done remotely with video calls, shared desktops etc.. She should be setting an example to business leaders.... 

• Like 3

" I know this the world is not the same as it was 40 some years ago, but can anyone say it has gotten better? "

Sure, there's actually lots of data to support that broadly speaking, the world is in fact becoming a better place. to help frame the thought, I'll quote Steven Pinker below,

Partly, it’s a discrepancy that comes from a worldview that we get from data and a worldview we get from journalism. Journalism has a built-in bias towards the negative, in that it covers events and it is easier for something to go wrong very quickly rather than right very quickly.

An explosion, a terrorist attack, a shooting, an epidemic can all break out quickly. Whereas improvements in well-being such as fewer wars, lower rates of crime, increasing longevity, literacy, prosperity, creep up a few percentage points of time.  There is never a Thursday in October in which they happen all at once and therefore could be worthy of a news report.

Data in a sense aggregates all of these events and non-events. When you’re counting up the number of crimes, the number of wars, people killed in war, the number of people who live below the line of extreme poverty as well as the happy non-events the view of the world that you get is not only different but as it happens, quite a bit more positive.

There’s a second reason and that is there is a bias among journalists and intellectuals generally toward accentuating the negative as a way of appearing wise and not naive.

It is a moral stance that journalists and intellectuals tend to adopt where they feel like gulls if they point to positive events and appear like prophets. If they remind people of all the ways in which they may be doomed, that is a dynamic that goes back to the Old Testament.

It is an increasing theme within journalism, and many journalists are quite upfront about it.  They believe that any positive development is not serious journalism but is corporate public relations or government propaganda.

Of course, my argument is that I think people have to be aware of the threats and the dangers, the injustices and sufferings. No one would argue that those should be minimised.  But if the improvements, success and developments are not reported I believe that is as bad as complacency, namely fatalism. "

https://www.52-insights.com/interview-politics-enlightenment-steven-pinker-why-our-world-is-getting-better/

You'll catch more flies with honey. Cut the doom-saying, cut the "you're with us or you're against us" false binary and I'm confidant you'll get better outcomes.

• Like 2

and 100%, this thread should be in PA where it belongs.

• Like 1

Step one.....get her and all the other folks who want a better world to PICK UP THE FUCKING TRASH BEFORE IT REACHES THE SEA....

When you are done, call me, i'll get you going on step 2.

Seriously, I see people walk right by stuff floating in the harbors, laying on the ground, I see the kids that live in the house a few blocks away come home late, and dump the fast food trash right out of the car into the street, then step over it on the way back in the morning.

Makes me want to kick them in the ….

PICK IT UP YOU LAZY FUCKERS!!

Ok whew...

She is doing good work, keep it up kid,

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hoppy said:

She probably could achieved more by doing conference calls from home rather than any sort of travel.  Business travel makes up 30-40% of miles flown and these days much of what is done on trips can be done remotely with video calls, shared desktops etc.. She should be setting an example to business leaders.... 

To follow on from my point...

If there was a big cut in business travellers, there will be a flow on affect to leisure travellers. With less business travellers buying higher value ticket, airlines will suffer heavily on the popular business routes reducing flights and increasing leisure fares on those routes. Airlines may then reduce the size of their fleets which will in turn reduce the availability of aircraft to run to the holiday destinations over summer. and so on.  

I did not catch any of her lecture; did she mention population control as the #1 factor that needs to be addressed? Did she opine that w/o population control all other efforts are rendered worthless?

• Like 1

BTW, if anyone hates a certain editor or sees SA as a negative influence on sailing generally, keep posting political crap in the forums. Like the NFL kneelers, it's the surest way to kill something off - just politicize it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

I can’t stand the hate involving political conversation and avoid it. 

So why did you comment?

3 hours ago, Chimp too said:

The purpose of the trip was to send a message and for HER travel to be true to the message.  I'm quite sure you would have called her a hypocrite for flying as well.

• Like 3

We should all do better in caring for the environment and as sailors be passionate about the seas.  What's too often missed in the conversation (shit storm?) is that on an individual basis, we have made dramatic improvements since the 60's.  Cars are putting out less than 1% of the pollution than cars made in the 60's with the exception of NOX and a few other components that are "only" down by 75% from then.  Despite the significant increase in the number of automobiles, urban air quality is significantly better than it was 60 years ago. Water quality is equally better with harbors and rivers generally much healthier.  

Not good enough, though.  The climate is changing and by all measurements much quicker than historical cycles.  We are now more aware of other pollutants(?) that appear to be driving climate change, not just polluting our environment.  The press of 7.7 Billion people (as compared to 3B in 1960) means that individual reductions can only do so much.  On the positive side,  annual population growth was 2.5% in 1960 and around 1% today. 

The rapid shift to a "throwaway society" is overwhelming the capacity to cope.  Recycling is failing because there is just too damn much.  Intensive development in the watershed means more runoff, more turbidity in inland and coastal waters and more pollutants.  We have done the "easy stuff" and addressed many point sources.  Now it's the hard stuff and that's a tougher issue becasue it means society needs to change, not just individuals.  We aren't going to replace all internal combustion engines tomorrow and a consumer society is demanding more - faster and cheaper.  That drives source increases when we need source reductions. 

If Greta's actions do as little as focus a bit more attention on what we are doing to the environment, then great.  It's more about her message than her specific actions.  Yes, we all know that making a carbon Open class boat and outfitting it with synthetic sails, cordage and the rest isn't very "green" but the message to 99% of the population (the non sailors) stands.  

Unfortunately, the nature of SA is for any reasonable conversation to be quickly reduced to partisan bickering and some will immediately jump in and identify all who disagree with them  in any manner to be cunts and fuckwits, eliminating any chance of civil discourse.   

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Innocent Bystander said:

We should all do better in caring for the environment ...

The rapid shift to a "throwaway society" is overwhelming the capacity to cope.  Recycling is failing because there is just too damn much.  Intensive development in the watershed means more runoff, more turbidity in inland and coastal waters and more pollutants.  We have done the "easy stuff" and addressed many point sources.  Now it's the hard stuff and that's a tougher issue becasue it means society needs to change, not just individuals.  We aren't going to replace all internal combustion engines tomorrow and a consumer society is demanding more - faster and cheaper.  That drives source increases when we need source reductions.  

Unfortunately, the nature of SA is for any reasonable conversation to be quickly reduced to partisan bickering and some will immediately jump in and identify all who disagree with them  in any manner to be cunts and fuckwits, eliminating any chance of civil discourse.   

Generally agreed.

The general public may not know it but within the AEC Design / Construction industry, within Westernized countries, in the last 20 years has seen a massive shift in both technology and approach to the problems at hand. Given that buildings account for about a third of GHG emissions its encouraging. However general public ignorance and constant doom-saying by media and activists wildly skews people's perception of the scope and scale of the problems and the progress being made. It's not without tradeoffs, things have become quite a bit more expensive to accomplish due to both red tape and increased base costs of purchase and install / implementation.

We now have less energy consumption from both the creation and operation of buildings in general and the possibility of end of life recycling is greatly improved. Less toxic chemicals are much more broadly used and a well integrated approach to green design is emerging. But again, you wouldn't know it to read the paper, you'd be more likely to come away feeling guilty and throwing your hands in the air and saying to yourself, "fuck it, there's not much I can do". Which would not be an unreasonable response.

little changes with big multiples can add up substantially over time. But it cannot be done with radical action, e.g. blowing up the existing systems and starting anew. Changes take a very long time so many factors can be reconciled. Human behavior does not change quickly and for good reason. Proposing radical change is self defeating. It can feel good in the moment but if it alienates a huge swath of the population its not even remotely useful.

Also look at where you have the greatest leverage for action. You want plastic out of the Pacific? Stretch a net across ten specific rivers abutting the Pacific in Asia and filter the crap before it  gets to the ocean. For probably $10BN-$20BN per year, which is small change relative to the scope of the problem, you could deal with 80% of the problem. Paying $2BN per year per river would be vastly easier than getting the 2 Billion people who live upstream on those rivers to change their behavior. Does it have moral hazard? For sure, but it would be effective as anything being proposed so far.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Swimsailor said:

The purpose of the trip was to send a message and for HER travel to be true to the message.  I'm quite sure you would have called her a hypocrite for flying as well.

So the message I got was that publicity and pretending to do the right thing was more important. Lead by example and be true to the cause. That isn’t what I see here. Why not refuse to go and insist on doing a video call  instead?

that would have been far more eco friendly and set the right example rather than bullshitting everyone like s politician.

7 hours ago, hoppy said:

She probably could achieved more by doing conference calls from home rather than any sort of travel.

Wrong, if she did that we would not be talking about her, or this subject.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, random said:

yeah because talking about her sailing trip is soooooo effective at reducing the human population.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Parma said:

yeah because talking about her sailing trip is soooooo effective at reducing the human population.

Well, when Random is typing he's not making babies so we got that.  

I hope that every single one of you who has said "move this to PA" has also made the same post on Brexit WTF.

If you haven't,  why not?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Parma said:

well, your childless (I assume) self is certainly aware of her, her concerns, her efforts and the issue of our changing climate...so I guess she is being successful.  

That you have picked one aspect of the many causes of climate change to espouse is fine.  It would be a great achievement for you to get out and get millions of people out on the street to support population control.  

But don't at the same time denigrate the efforts of others not so finely focused as you.  

• Like 1

I personally applaud young people who are willing to get involved, make statements through their actions, draw attention to issues and make people think.

If more of the fat old fuckers occupying this place had done anything like as much when it was their turn, maybe some of the world's problems would have been solved already.

The world belongs to our children.  Get ready to hand it over, or die and get and out of the way.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Israel Hands said:

I hope that every single one of you who has said "move this to PA" has also made the same post on Brexit WTF.

I agree, the Brexit thread also has nothing to do with sailing and should absolutely be moved to PA.

If you haven't,  why not?

I didn’t make a relevant post on that thread because it began when I was away sailing: and by the time I returned and started checking this forum, it was already well out of control.

The more divisive political threads like this one and the Brexit one clutter up Sailing Anarchy, the less attractive it becomes to normal people who are interested in sailing rather than juvenile ad hominem argument (posts 5, 13 et al.).

18 minutes ago, Recidivist said:

I personally applaud young people who are willing to get involved, make statements through their actions, draw attention to issues and make people think.

If more of the fat old fuckers occupying this place had done anything like as much when it was their turn, maybe some of the world's problems would have been solved already.

The world belongs to our children.  Get ready to hand it over, or die and get and out of the way.

I guess that is because Jack puts so much work into Brexit WTF that it has quality content regardless of if one agrees with him or not. 

^^^^^^^^ THIS......The future of the environment we sail in is far more relevant to sailors than BREXIT.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Upp3 said:

She stopped flying in 2015. Would it have been better her to start flying again just for this trip?

So you are saying that getting several others to fly so she can travel is a good thing? If she was so anti flying it should have made her skin crawl to think she was creating so many air miles. But it didn’t. She could have been open about it and even justified it because if the attention it has created. But she didn’t do that either. So she has gone from being a crusader to a pile of hypocrisy. Sad, but her minders should have seen this coming and dealt with it. 

Oh wait, only sailors would pick up on this and we are a very small subset of the target audience. So they just brush us aside and call us names if we have the temerity to point it out. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, spankoka said:

I guess that is because Jack puts so much work into Brexit WTF that it has quality content regardless of if one agrees with him or not. 

Quality? He has to resort to answering his own posts to keep it ticking over. 

3 minutes ago, Gissie said:

So you are saying that getting several others to fly so she can travel is a good thing? If she was so anti flying it should have made her skin crawl to think she was creating so many air miles. But it didn’t. She could have been open about it and even justified it because if the attention it has created. But she didn’t do that either. So she has gone from being a crusader to a pile of hypocrisy. Sad, but her minders should have seen this coming and dealt with it. 

Oh wait, only sailors would pick up on this and we are a very small subset of the target audience. So they just brush us aside and call us names if we have the temerity to point it out. 

Before you continue in this vein, please read up on the actual travel itineraries of the people involved.  Thank you.

• Like 2

Rightly or wrongly, Jack is one of the few people on this site that has been accused of being an actual journalist. 

2 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

I did not because Brexit is a very complicated subject and it was suggested that Brexit has important implications about and for the sailing communities, boat builders etc in both Britain (& Europe?). Quite honestly I'm not certain how strong that nexus actually & really is, and being uncertain did not want to state that nexus does not exist and that the whole thread belongs in PA. I just don't know enough about it either way.

This thread on the other hand has only a very loose association with sailing and absent the involvement of one boat for only one time has no further involvement with sailing but has devolved into political name calling.

So it belongs in PA.

• Downvote 1

4 hours ago, random said:

how does a thread or two dedicated to her on SA help her cause? 

The school kids  she is mobilising on social media and the politicians who don't give a toss about what a jumped up Swedish teen has to say, don't care about stunts. 

Refusing to travel and speaking by video would show even more dedication to the cause. This trip opens her up to mocking.

Take this to PA

• Like 1
  • Downvote 3

45 minutes ago, hoppy said:

how does a thread or two dedicated to her on SA help her cause? 

The school kids  she is mobilising on social media and the politicians who don't give a toss about what a jumped up Swedish teen has to say, don't care about stunts. 

Refusing to travel and speaking by video would show even more dedication to the cause. This trip opens her up to mocking.

Take this to PA

The kids that are “mobilizing” are mobilizing out of school for a day off. I would’ve “supported” any cause for a free day off too. 

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Parma said:

I did not because Brexit is a very complicated subject and it was suggested that Brexit has important implications about and for the sailing communities, boat builders etc in both Britain (& Europe?). Quite honestly I'm not certain how strong that nexus actually & really is, and being uncertain did not want to state that nexus does not exist and that the whole thread belongs in PA. I just don't know enough about it either way.

This thread on the other hand has only a very loose association with sailing and absent the involvement of one boat for only one time has no further involvement with sailing but has devolved into political name calling.

So it belongs in PA.

I think that most of you did not tell them to take Brexit WTF to PA because the posters have status on this site. Someone with 260 posts started this thread, and the main posters in Brexit are at 20,000+.   At least this thread has a real association with sailing.

Don't get me wrong. Even though I did ask why the Brexit thread wasn't in PA (to a collective "huh?"), I check in on it every few days. As screwed up as our government is, it's hard to keep up with the UK crazy train and Brexit WTF provides a very good summary update.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bodega87 said:

The kids that are “mobilizing” are mobilizing out of school for a day off. I would’ve “supported” any cause for a free day off too. 

dito...

3 minutes ago, hoppy said:

dito...

Is the day off you took the day they taught the correct spelling of "ditto"?

3 hours ago, Parma said:

So it belongs in PA.

So the potential for increased intensity of storms, the loss of coral reefs, the changing ecology of the ocean, the rise of sea level in shoreline communities including marinas ... those have nothing to do with sailing.  Got it.  Thanks for the perspective.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

I think that most of you did not tell them to take Brexit WTF to PA because the posters have status on this site. Someone with 260 posts started this thread, and the main posters in Brexit are at 20,000+.   At least this thread has a real association with sailing.

Don't get me wrong. Even though I did ask why the Brexit thread wasn't in PA (to a collective "huh?"), I check in on it every few days. As screwed up as our government is, it's hard to keep up with the UK crazy train and Brexit WTF provides a very good summary update.

I beg to offer a qualified disagreement.

Greta may have sailed on a sail boat and has had an experience than not many of us that will get a chance to do... but she did is as a political message not as a sailing experience. It's all about the message not about the sailing.

Brexit has a huge impact on sailing and sailors. It affects British flagged vessels sailing within EU waters, their vat status at home and abroad, and many other matters. Even the delaying of the Brexit has an impact. So it has a lot of interest for sailor, but of course not much has been mentioned about sailing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Is the day off you took the day they taught the correct spelling of "ditto"?

it seems so...

42 minutes ago, hoppy said:

I beg to offer a qualified disagreement.

Greta may have sailed on a sail boat and has had an experience than not many of us that will get a chance to do... but she did is as a political message not as a sailing experience. It's all about the message not about the sailing.

Brexit has a huge impact on sailing and sailors. It affects British flagged vessels sailing within EU waters, their vat status at home and abroad, and many other matters. Even the delaying of the Brexit has an impact. So it has a lot of interest for sailor, but of course not much has been mentioned about sailing.

So...to repeat myself...

So the potential for increased intensity of storms, the loss of coral reefs, the changing ecology of the ocean, the rise of sea level in shoreline communities including marinas ... those concerns may just be a wee bit more relevant to the sailors on this site than the VAT status of UK flagged vessels.  What do you think.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

So...to repeat myself...

So the potential for increased intensity of storms, the loss of coral reefs, the changing ecology of the ocean, the rise of sea level in shoreline communities including marinas ... those concerns may just be a wee bit more relevant to the sailors on this site than the VAT status of UK flagged vessels.  What do you think.

No, not sailing related. Climate change does not affect how we will sail today or this time next year. El Nino has more impact on our decisions in the short term. Climate change is a long term issue that is a great concern and it requires our politicians to act with law and policy changes.

Brexit is politics that has a direct effect on many boat owners and it may take affect in as little as 6 weeks time or whenever the UK gets their act together.  

Well, she is very marketable....

Nothing will change, until we eliminate our pollution...

We are the only animal on the earth that doesn't live within the circle of life.

29 minutes ago, hoppy said:

No, not sailing related. Climate change does not affect how we will sail today or this time next year. El Nino has more impact on our decisions in the short term. Climate change is a long term issue that is a great concern and it requires our politicians to act with law and policy changes.

Brexit is politics that has a direct effect on many boat owners and it may take affect in as little as 6 weeks time or whenever the UK gets their act together.  

Boris Johnson's been running the same act on the UK public since he was in diapers.  6 weeks is not going to make a difference in that.  

17 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Boris Johnson's been running the same act on the UK public since he was in diapers.  6 weeks is not going to make a difference in that.  

everything changes for British sailors the day Brexit occurs. 

12 minutes ago, hoppy said:

everything changes for British sailors the day Brexit occurs. 

Now that Ben Ainslie has decamped to Bermuda, that is the least of the Queen's worries.

Or should I say:  "Be careful what you ask for."

11 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

The time for nicey nice is over, the Koch Brothers won.  More C02 than ever before is being pumped into the atmosphere.   Civil discourse should not be attempted with shills and greedy bastards who profess any point of view that favours their retirement fund.  This is about survival.  We are beginning to fight over the scraps while watching what's left go up in flames.

There is no time for reasonable conversation or partisans, only the Greta's of this world make recognise the gravity of the situation.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, hoppy said:

And opens doors to talk to people who matter with interest in media that makes it even more worthwhile for both. She did mention that she ins't concerned with our reactions. 

19 hours ago, Swimsailor said:

So why did you comment?

Obviously because someone brought PA here to the SA forum and it blows.

On 9/18/2019 at 8:58 PM, Svanen said:

With only a little respect but the greatest amount of understanding - When you own your blog you can pick, choose, move, or fart as you like on your own blog.  One of the big issues in our world - people trying to tell others how to live and run their lives.  Make the world a better place and start by just doing you..  Happy Friday :-)

• Like 2

I got a phone-call from my eldest daughter school.

"we think that your daughters is at the climate march"

"I am not too surprised, I will make sure that she catches up what she missed"

:rolleyes:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

Obviously because someone brought PA here to the SA forum and it blows.

That's the magic of the interwebs....you don't have to look.

I pulled this off my Guardian feed this morning.....excerpts from what she said to a congressional subcommittee...

=========

“Please save your praise. We don’t want it,” she said. “Don’t invite us here to just tell us how inspiring we are without actually doing anything about it because it doesn’t lead to anything.

“If you want advice for what you should do, invite scientists, ask scientists for their expertise. We don’t want to be heard. We want the science to be heard.”

In remarks meant for Congress as a whole, she said: “I know you are trying but just not hard enough. Sorry.”

=====

I love it.  Fuck you, you fat old fuckers. Get your lardasses in gear.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, DHFiend said:

Did I get down voted since I asked a question supported with data?

Your data shows that although China has 4 times as many people as the US, their carbon dioxide emissions are only double that of the US, and that although the US is only 5% of the world's population, it is responsible for 14% of carbon dioxide emissions.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, DHFiend said:

I down-voted you because you don't understand the chart you used to support the claim you're trying to infer..

• Downvote 1

Honestly, her disability....is she somewhere on the Aspbergers continuum....it's probably doing her good.  She says what she means,  right in peoples face and doesn't really "get" that  they might not like it.  She's somewhat unable to waffle....she doesn't have have the empathy for it.   So...too f'ing bad.

All the Trump supporters who just LOVE HIM  supposedly because he "tells it like it is"...should ADORE Greta, because that's exactly what she does. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Alan H said:

Honestly, her disability....is she somewhere on the Aspbergers continuum....it's probably doing her good.  She says what she means,  right in peoples face and doesn't really "get" that  they might not like it.  She's somewhat unable to waffle....she doesn't have have the empathy for it.   So...too f'ing bad.

All the Trump supporters who just LOVE HIM  supposedly because he "tells it like it is"...should ADORE Greta, because that's exactly what she does. 

Isn't life so depressingly ironic?

Edit: I should say "human life".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, efrank said:

Your data shows that although China has 4 times as many people as the US, their carbon dioxide emissions are only double that of the US, and that although the US is only 5% of the world's population, it is responsible for 14% of carbon dioxide emissions.

That should not give China a pass though. And their pollution is due in large part to the portal that Walmart built from China via ocean freight.  Anyone who has spent a little time in China quickly realizes that it has not spent the "20% investment that cleans up 80% of its air pollution."  We should expect it to.  But Greta (who I think is great) is not going to go to China because it is a totalitarian state. She would not be permitted to raise protests there. Which is unfortunate. Those fat old Chinese politicians need a hot enema on this subject every bit as much as our politicians do.

4 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

That should not give China a pass though. And their pollution is due in large part to the portal that Walmart built from China via ocean freight.  Anyone who has spent a little time in China quickly realizes that it has not spent the "20% investment that cleans up 80% of its air pollution."  We should expect it to.  But Greta (who I think is great) is not going to go to China because it is a totalitarian state. She would not be permitted to raise protests there. Which is unfortunate. Those fat old Chinese politicians need a hot enema on this subject every bit as much as our politicians do.

efrank isn't giving "China" a pass.

8 minutes ago, perioecus said:

Isn't life so depressingly ironic?

You know, I almost wish I hadn't made that post because I don't want to drag any discussion of  our current president into the thread, and thereby in fact make it "political".  However, to answer your question....yes! LOL

Right now it's about climate action, and that is so intimately tied into sailing as a sport that this really IS a "sailing" post.  I mean.... if the tradewinds change, and ease up, then what happens to the TransPac, huh?  Gosh, no more 20 knots spinnaker runs all day?     If the planet warms a few degrees and the north and south wind/current  Atlantic and Pacific gyres change, d'ya think that might have an effect on the "Round the World races?  Ya think?  If the Caribbean water temperature climbs to the point where it's Hurricane Alley 10 months out of the year, d'ya think that might affect the charter trade?  If a motherfucking huge hurricane hits Galveston and destroys the harbords there, and ruins thousands of sailboats, well golly.....

Imagine the horror...

No more YouTube videos of busty babes sailing huge catamarans half-naked in blue waters, while you pay for the privilege of watching them.  Climate change might affect that! Oh. My. God!!!!!

3 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

That should not give China a pass though.

Agreed.

2 minutes ago, Alan H said:

You know, I almost wish I hadn't made that post because I don't want to drag any discussion of  our current president into the thread, and thereby in fact make it "political".  However, to answer your question....yes! LOL

Right now it's about climate action, and that is so intimately tied into sailing as a sport that this really IS a "sailing" post.  I mean.... if the tradewinds change, and ease up, then what happens to the TransPac, huh?  Gosh, no more 20 knots spinnaker runs all day?     If the planet warms a few degrees and the north and south wind/current  Atlantic and Pacific gyres change, d'ya think that might have an effect on the "Round the World races?  Ya think?  If the Caribbean water temperature climbs to the point where it's Hurricane Alley 10 months out of the year, d'ya think that might affect the charter trade?  If a motherfucking huge hurricane hits Galveston and destroys the harbords there, and ruins thousands of sailboats, well golly.....

No regrets for telling the truth, brother.

1 hour ago, DHFiend said:

No, you got down voted for using data as an argument to do nothing in countries like the US.

China is following the Paris Agreement, there is a plan, unlike America who withdrew so they could continue with "Greed is Good".

• Like 2
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, DHFiend said:

Think of it as a reverse up vote.

There are a bunch of leftists here who don't like reality intruding on their circle jerk.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 3

Just now, random said:

No, you got down voted for using data as an argument to do nothing in countries like the US.

China is following the Paris Agreement, there is a plan, unlike America who withdrew so they could continue with "Greed is Good".

The paris agreement is a plan to do nothing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shubrook said:

Think of it as a reverse up vote.

There are a bunch of leftists here who don't like reality intruding on their circle jerk.

Shouldn't you be on a ledge somewhere?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shubrook said:

The paris agreement is a plan to do nothing.

As opposed to a plan to pollute more.

• Like 2