Sign in to follow this  
overdraft

any pants that actually keep your @ss dry?

are there any foul weather pants out there that won't soak through if you're sitting on the rail in rain or occasional green water all day?

I’ve tried the cheap stuff, West Marine sort of stuff, then ramped up to non-offshore Gill, no better so a bit wary of spending even more with no better results...

Does anything actually keep your bum dry? And if it’s only the $1,000 offshore stuff is any of it at least still offer some mobility considering i'm really not offshore and mostly in smaller boats?

thanks!

I have had experience of Musto HPX for the last 20 years. And they are dry and (very?) expensive. You can sometimes sence that the @ss is not 100% dry, but my experience is that it is sweat that do not evaporate thought the fabric when you sit down. I do not experience that the feeling increase if it is raining or breaking waves over the deck. My experience of the life of the fabric is less than 10 years, then it will start to leak on all possible and non-possible places. So I am in my third set now. 

if its not offshore and just day sailing and your going to be sitting in green water all day suck it up and get rubber pants from commercial fishing gear or construction. Ugly and yes your balls will sweat but your not likely swimming in it.  I've tried everybodies "not offshore rated" pants, and the offshore, I get 2-3yrs out of them. I'm not the stand at the helm guy , i'm the rail meat

4 hours ago, overdraft said:

are there any foul weather pants out there that won't soak through if you're sitting on the rail in rain or occasional green water all day?

I’ve tried the cheap stuff, West Marine sort of stuff, then ramped up to non-offshore Gill, no better so a bit wary of spending even more with no better results...

Does anything actually keep your bum dry? And if it’s only the $1,000 offshore stuff is any of it at least still offer some mobility considering i'm really not offshore and mostly in smaller boats?

thanks!

Buy expensive. They are expensive for a reason. 

I have Musto HPX and they keep me dry offshore. For w/l sailing I prefer just pants cause I need the mobility, and I have a pair from SailRacing which are light and also keep me dry. The clue with the pants is that they are quite high in the back, so I don't show crack when I hike. But the main reason is that this helps to keep me dry. 

I've been luck enough to keep applying a regiment of Nikwax every year. You have to remember that most clothes are water repellent, not water proof; otherwise they couldn't "breathe". The worst thing that can be done to them is to use detergents on them. After a hard day of sailing, I usually get into the shower with mine to wash the salt water out of them and let them dry. 

Musto HPX or equivalent.  If you want to stay dry when it is cool and wet, don't fuck around.  Replace every 3-4 years, depending on frequency and violence of yachting activity.  I've been warm and dry and cold and wet ..... big difference.

Rubber pants - Line 7 if you still have em - Grundens if you have to buy new.  Rubber does not leak - period.  Cheap too if not highly fashionable..

• Like 1

Musto MPX salopettes with MPX shorts under has worked for me on longer races. Also easy to dress down when the sun comes up if needed.

I don't think you will find a cheap and comfortable solution, the price tag is there for a reason.

• Like 1

ya, I don't mind paying more IF they work... I went from cheap that failed to more expensive that also failed... I just don't want to go with hyper-expensive if I'll still be soaked by noon, and Ideally it would be something that I could still move around in... I mean I could get the full fisherman rubber rig but then I couldn't do my job! That's my fear of the offshore stuff, that mobility will be an issue...

I've been using something relatively new in the marketplace, paddleboarding 2 mm neoprene wetsuit pants.  Some are lined so they don't feel sticky next to your skin.  I sail a trimaran so I'm always sitting in wet and these pants keep me dry and comfortable.  That being said, I don't sail more than 6 hours at a time, so if you are going to be in them longer than that, maybe something else would be better.

Dry suit. Perfect for smaller boat offshore, with some greenwater. Dry as a bone.

Mine is Ocean Rodeo, but I have no reason to think others would not work as well.

For small boats, inshore, warm (sometimes cold, like 40 °F) Musto LPX has worked very well for me.

haven’t heard anything first hand about the new mustang gear but it looks pretty good... maybe it’s time to go see Alex! like i said... don’t mind spending more if the stuff actually keeps me dry. 

the thing I always thought someone should make (to solve my problem, because, you know, it's all about me :D ) is pants that are breathable fabric but with that old skool fishing gear rubber stuff for the butt and upper thigh so that when you're sitting in a puddle for an extended period of time it doesn't soak through and meanwhile they're breathing out the moisture everywhere else... 

2 hours ago, lamorak said:

Don't skimp on your base layers.  If it won't wick the moisture away from the skin AND turn it into vapor, then you'll be wet inside your gear no matter the brand.

This^^^^

cotton undies? don't do it

get some microfiber ones, and don't wear anything else cotton either. Some microfiber tights and you'll be good. 

I like the lined wetsuit shorts idea. Lined wetsuits are a great invention. Drysuit if it's damn cold, but seems overkill for daysailing.

Musto MPX works a dream! I had HL TP2's as well that worked great for 8 years or so, but obvious difference in quality.

2 hours ago, Raz'r said:

I like the lined wetsuit shorts idea. Lined wetsuits are a great invention. Drysuit if it's damn cold, but seems overkill for daysailing.

the paddleboard long pants (2mm neoprene) are lined and really keep you dry and really easy to move around in.  Inexpensive, as well compared to Musto (can buy 3 of them and still come out ahead).  Works for me.  If it gets cold or I expect to get drenched (like sailing a weta), I wear a dry top with the paddleboard pants.   The paddleboard pants are made for folks who jump onto boards from the water...so they keep you dry by design. 

Ask the kids on sunnyvale if they think the mustang gear has stood up to abuse. They sail as much as anyone in Vic, so a good bellwether for longevity. 

7 hours ago, overdraft said:

the thing I always thought someone should make (to solve my problem, because, you know, it's all about me :D ) is pants that are breathable fabric but with that old skool fishing gear rubber stuff for the butt and upper thigh so that when you're sitting in a puddle for an extended period of time it doesn't soak through and meanwhile they're breathing out the moisture everywhere else... 

I had this exact conversation with a friend after the last race - I don't need breathable on my ass, I need 100% total waterproof, same for knees. I was considering some sort of paint-on rubberisation, but searching for paint-on rubber coatings got me into parts of the Internet I didn't want to go to.

• Like 1

Helly Aegir Ocean gear has fully rubberized ass and knees for that reason, I believe.

On 9/23/2019 at 12:40 PM, overdraft said:

I haven't tried it on foulies, but I have been through several sets of cutoff PVC shorts. They keep the my pants dry when taking the dink ashore on foggy mornings and then pack small. I suppose someone could make a pair and pull them over foul weather pants for sitting in puddles in places where fashion isn't an important consideration.

I use fishing waders on the Hobie TI sitting in a puddle for hours. Integrated neoprene booties and go up two sizes on tennis shoes. Fishing, sailing, clamming. Under $200 at any outdoor store 

I use the NRS semi-dry pants for catamaran sailing in California winters. My butt is pretty much always wet on the outside of these on a beach cat. Fleece shorts keep me dry on the inside.

Dunno how many seasons I'll get out of them, but for well under 200 bucks a set, as long as I get a few years, I'm good.

I've had diaper rash on an offshore voyage, and I've lost a mast.  All in all, I'd rather lose a mast.

• Like 1

I picked up a pair of musto MPX's and I love them. Used them for both Macs and the Transuperior and was dry the entire time. While expensive from big brands you can find them cheap on sites like watersports outlet. I picked up last year's for around 280 coming from a 500 dollar price tag on Amazon. 

They seem like they pay for themselves as 10 years past the date on the inside and you send them back and you get a free pair. 

Did transuperior once without proper gear, it snowed and I froze. Been doing musto ever since, mainly mpx and lpx. I love the ultralight weight of lpx for inshore and small sportboats.

Icebreaker do merino undies for guys and gals. Simply brilliant. Never cotton - you’ll get cold once it’s damp. The merino wool stays warm even when damp, wicks moisture away, and doesn’t stink. And don’t do microfibres, it’s prone to stinking (who wants a stinky crotch!?) and bad for the world.