DryArmour

How is this not over early?

Live SAILGP RACING. :01 left on the start clock two boats WAYYYY over. How is there no recall?

Weather over early SAIL GP.jpg

• Like 1

Is the time on the screen electronically tied into the RC's watch or are they manually sync'd, that is, did a human hit a watch for the screen when they saw a flag go up?  At 36kts, they are going about 60'/s so a watch off by a second would account for what appears to be over early (note, the :01 time might have gone to zero a nanosecond after the screenshot).  

• Like 5

Cal20 I think has it.

If the screen time is actual RC time then clearly over early.

If the screen time is based on a human reacting to start sequence then that delay could explain it.

The average reaction time for humans is 0.25 seconds to a visual stimulus, 0.17 for an audio stimulus, and 0.15 seconds for a touch stimulus.

If the screen time was based on sound signal there would be a delay of reaction time plus any time required for the sound to propagate. So if the observer was a thousand feet away reaction time and sound propagation would give you a whole second delay (or a boat length).

Assuming it was visual signal then manual start of screen time that delay of .15 seconds would still be about 10 feet of travel 20% of a boat length.

If you look at other sports where competitors move at these speeds the timing is often given in tenths or hundreds of a second. Alpine downhill events are often won by hundredths of a second.

If the screen time is not showing at least another decimal point there is no way to know.

• Like 2

You’re also assuming that the starting line is where the screen says it is.  The line on the screen looks like it’s ten feet wide. Is the actual line in the middle of it, at the near side, or the far side? Maybe the starting line is actually the bottom of the letters that say “START”?  Where is the Committee Boat?  

• Like 2

1- I think a lot of sports have been ruined by "instant replay", and mirco managing the ref's

2- having done committee boat, many times , your on a rocking boat that moving with wind , waves currents, so to get a start line perfect ( within 0.01 ) I would say is impossible at best, 

A blink of an eye is:The average human's eye blinks at a speed of 300 to 400 milliseconds or 3/10ths or 4/10ths of a second. or 3/4 times your 0.01, 

will with in any margine of error.

DON"T MAKE SAILING A VIDEO GAME!

• Like 2

There is no race committee, just the guy that turns it on in the morning. It's all run by software and GPS.

• Like 1

Which race was this? I read in another thread that Race 3 had a late change to the course due to a wind shift. The whole fleet appeared to sail well across the boundary on the first reach but no one was penalised. Graphic overlay hadn't been updated.

• Like 1

Stick to the script.

This isn't sanctioned by WS is it?  Who are they going to complaint to, Larry?

Has anyone bothered to read the article on the FP? Pretty sophisticated stuff - An excerpt

When it comes to race umpiring, given boatspeeds that get well into 40 kts+ at times, remote umpiring is the only realistic option. As a result, all tracks, speeds, headings and orientations of the race yachts are transmitted live to an “umpire booth” located on land, where three umpires can review the data in a similar way to football’s VAR system. From there they can issue and monitor penalties.

Now back to the whateverthefuckya'llaredoing

If you listen to the audio you can hear the crew counting down to the start and there was at least a second difference between their call and the displayed time.

55 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

Has anyone bothered to read the article on the FP?...

Not if I can avoid it

Over or not, that's definitely a $10,000000 penalty for bringing the sport in disrepute. And a 5 year ban for Sirr Wussell Cuntt, for cheating (on Ernesto and in AC34).

FWIW, my 2 peanuts.

10 hours ago, random said:

Stick to the script.

This isn't sanctioned by WS is it?  Who are they going to complaint to, Larry?

Actually yes it is. 

39 minutes ago, random said:

OK, got a link?

It's sanctioned by CNN's Shirley Robertson, that's good enough to me.

777730724_skinny-no-tits-but-fucking-hot-blonde-naked-and-masturbating-on-my-boat-in-missouri-15(meaAaaEPbaaaa).jpg.3314f9775dc6dee8446547cd0a7ea2c4.jpg

• Downvote 1

Money is no object for 3-5 years

Seriously I do await online gambling. Have to handicap the sailing teams and shore teams for the venue. Breakage of boats now rampant, maybe because these are the rebuilt AC boats getting more and harder use than originally designed for, especially effects on systems and podiums, etc.

Would be like betting on horse/trainer/track/veterinarian combo.

Errr... you guys are actually thinking that Sail GP has something to do with sailboat racing?  

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

If this is WS recognised then where the fuck is my entry form for next year?

I have a Silver Card!

teamrandom2.thumb.jpg.3aae94a48f8f2877a29677acf0061ae4.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/20/2019 at 9:45 PM, DryArmour said:

Live SAILGP RACING. :01 left on the start clock two boats WAYYYY over. How is there no recall?

Weather over early SAIL GP.jpg

Most RC would call a clean start if a majority of the boats are early, as I understand it?  So their division got off cleanly. The other division are watching their start!!!