EarthBM

Used cat market

It seems likely that Covid 19 will be with us for awhile.

It also seems it may be worse than thought, as some of its more pernicious effects are/were not obvious when treating a respiratory problem e.g. thrombosis and Kawasaki like effects.

So absent dramatic success with vaccines or therapeutics people may well spend a prolonged / indefinite number of years focused on minimizing the chance of catching C-19.

Vacations in sailing paradises can probably be structured to minimize risks. The problem is getting to and from the vacation spot. Making air travel safe will probably dramatically lower payload / increase fares. (The CEO of Ford yesterday – paraphrasing – said C19 might move demand from public transit towards cars as people seek an safe isolated bubble for transit)

The harder part of getting these tourist dependant economies up and running may be the to and froing. Perhaps that means fewer longer vacations as transit share of the cost goes up...Maybe some subsidy of the travel portion...

The world will probably be different in many ways. Move away from large office towers and concentrated company sites...de densification (the opposite of the most recent thinking in “urban theory”)...move away from mass transit...and back to cars...much more remote working...

Maybe the solution for tourist dependant economies is to facilitate extended stays including remote working...get that high speed internet reliable...

Whatever it is it will take creativity and help and compassion from the small share of the world that has most of the resources. Most of the people on this site are worse off than they were six months ago but still dramatically better of than most of the world (e.g. Covid 19 is now in the worlds largest refugee camp – the Rohingya in Bangladesh). Stay safe and find a way to help.

Let’s hope it’s a quiet hurricane season!

• Like 2

Seems like I keep posting the same thing over and over again.  I know it is not a cat but I have been looking for some flavor of an fboat (it is a multihull) for some time and have not noticed any real drop in prices.  I found what looked like a good deal in Germany (I was looking for a boat for the canals and staying in Paris for the end of the Tour de France and then to the Med where I would sail in the summer and then head back to Florida/Keys/Bahamas for the winter.

Thing is even the new listings have the same price point for fboats as listings from when I started looking.  In several threads on the topic of boat prices here and at other sites there seem to be a lot of speculation about prices dropping but no real examples of good deals.

7 hours ago, soma said:

Let’s hope it’s a quiet hurricane season!

Millions will die from murder hornet stings under their COVID masks, in a global warming heat wave. Hurricanes are the least of our problems LOL. Well unless one is trapped in a COVID lockdown with an insured boat that needs to go north due to the coming hurricane season.  Head to the Antarctic. No COVID, hurricanes or murder hornets. Yet. . 

Another update from Wiley: 

Not a lot of cats sold, so won’t bother updating the scatter plot charts. Besides the post-COVID-19 depreciation curves have likely shifted lower, so history is a more hazy guide here.

What caught my eye was Catana 522 Kona Cat. I was on it when it was for sale and didn’t like it, but others referred to it as the best deal for a well-equipped Catana on the market and I guess that might’ve been true for the listed prices at the time. It sold in March at $325k, 45% below $599k list. 

At $325k I’d dislike it less I guess, but still probably  would not buy it. But it puts other list prices in perspective.

The 2010 62’ Lagoon sold for $395k (36% below list) is a lot of real estate for the money, not that I’d buy it either.

Was that the same Catana 522, Kona cat that was hit by lightning? 

6 hours ago, Keith said:

Was that the same Catana 522, Kona cat that was hit by lightning? 

Yes, with the mast and electronics replaced (by an alu mast)