shaggybaxter

PIL66-XL2 health check

Reach out to one of Anarchys true gentlemen and a damn good sailor,  PIl66, are you guys ok? 

Saw a news excerpt of a SAR operation off the NSW coast last night, and my heart dropped, it looked like XL2 on her roof.

Report said all 6 crew were taken off safely. 

Paging Pil66, sanity check, we're worried about you you big palookoa.

It's bad enough when you hear these reports and don't know the poor souls, but it has a deeper resonance when it's a fellow anarchist and a nice guy to boot. 

Hope I'm completely wrong and you guys are ok,

SB

• Like 3

Let’s hope it’s not that way and they just got a bit wet.  :(

10 minutes ago, shaggybaxter said:

Good news, thanks for the update. 

• Like 1

Yes, thanks Shaggy, glad to hear they're all OK and I hope it's manageable to right the boat without too much damage.  I want to know how it happened - I thought XL2 was unflippable, Nuddy pushed her hard for years and never got the roof wet.

• Like 1

Hopefully someone got laid as a result of the story. If not, why not? We need pictures.

@Gorn FRANTIC!!  You are basically outing a poster, but never mind, most of you Ozzie's knew already, and the rest of us don't care who he is, we just liked his posts.

We are just relieved that they are unharmed, and hope he gets his boat back in 1 piece. Take care Pil !

23 minutes ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

Want me to delete it so everyone can go back to just rubber necking & speculating instead?

Just wanted to remind people of a good principle rule here. And as I said, we or at least I don't know him anyway.

But if you still can edit and delete his name, or delete the post and repost without his name, so much the better.

PS. Just noticed that is a bit of a problem, never mind, up to you then.

Edited by Fiji Bitter
PS

Thanks for the love gang

all ok 

will post when I know more on the boat 

I’m upset at myself and the press and the fact that it damages the multihull fraternity’s image let alone the insurance implications ... 

• Like 16

1 hour ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Just wanted to remind people of a good principle rule here. And as I said, we or at least I don't know him anyway.

But if you still can edit and delete his name, or delete the post and repost without his name, so much the better.

PS. Just noticed that is a bit of a problem, never mind, up to you then.

To be fair, when you’re using the boat name as part of your login name, it’s not too difficult for people to work it out if they want to. And Pil hasn’t exactly been shy and retiring over the years. ;)

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Thanks for the love gang

all ok 

I’m upset at myself and the press and the fact that it damages the multihull fraternity’s image let alone the insurance implications ... 

Glad everyone got off safely, a little report back on what happened would be appreciated by many here when you get time. 

2 hours ago, mad said:

To be fair, when you’re using the boat name as part of your login name, it’s not too difficult for people to work it out if they want to. And Pil hasn’t exactly been shy and retiring over the years. ;)

and not everyone feel the need to hide.. 

10 hours ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Thanks for the love gang

all ok 

Glad to here you are all safe mate. You have more lives than a cat!

7 hours ago, hoppy said:

and not everyone feel the need to hide.. 

Eggzacary. Look at that poster ‘Spartacus’. He outs himself all the time.

And thanks to the boat in the CYCA Flinders Island race that stood by for a couple of hours until they were safe.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, trt131 said:

And thanks to the boat in the CYCA Flinders Island race that stood by for a couple of hours until they were safe.

The boat was Enigma... they did a great job... Big thanks to them and Sea Hawk from Cronulla

Sorry to DTM who came for a leisurely sail and ended with a leisurely swim.... 

2 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Glad to here you are all safe mate. You have more lives than a cat!

I'm worried my run of luck will someday run out..... Ironically the boat standing by was in the Flinders Island race. The same race I was rescued in exactly 10 years ago on the same stretch of sea... That is somewhat freaking me out

• Like 3

1 minute ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

He got a ride in a helicopter as well didn't he? Not everyone gets surprised with one of those every day.

But being serious glad that you're all OK, and sorry for outing you as well, didn't even realise your name was still showing at the bottom of the post when I screen capped it.

Glad to hear you and DTM still have all your appendages PIl. 

Knowing you two , you'd probably worked out a better air/fuel ratio, recommended some pitch settings, and done a bit of stacking to improve leeway for the chopper by the time you'd landed.

Props to Enigma and Sea Hawk, have to raise a glass to them and the SARS boys tonight.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

I'm worried my run of luck will someday run out..... Ironically the boat standing by was in the Flinders Island race. The same race I was rescued in exactly 10 years ago on the same stretch of sea... That is somewhat freaking me out

I thought the same thing when I heard the news. Might be time for a set of golf clubs mate. (: 

3 hours ago, LB 15 said:

I thought the same thing when I heard the news. Might be time for a set of golf clubs mate. (: 

Funny thing LB... about 10 years ago I joined Cronulla (Private) Golf Club. That cost me a large joining fee but I thought i would play after the Shockwave incident. I didn't so my playing membership has been deferred every year since so i don't incur the $2000 yearly fees.

Maybe now is the time to chase that little white fucker around..... Do many golfers get hit by lightning...?

1 hour ago, trt131 said:

Yes I know about it but was entered in the Lock Crowther regatta at Pittwater that weekend so now I am free to attend ... With another Shockwave story unfortunately 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Maybe now is the time to chase that little white fucker around..... Do many golfers get hit by lightning...?

Not so often, but maybe you will be, twice...

So...word is there's a gathering for the 10 year memorial at CY on the 5th....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Funny thing LB... about 10 years ago I joined Cronulla (Private) Golf Club. That cost me a large joining fee but I thought i would play after the Shockwave incident. I didn't so my playing membership has been deferred every year since so i don't incur the $2000 yearly fees.

Yes I know about it but was entered in the Lock Crowther regatta at Pittwater that weekend so now I am free to attend ... With another Shockwave story unfortunately 

Tried golf and gave it up...............clay/skeet shooting is way more entertaining and doesn't cost $2k a year in fees, and no silly clothes required either.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mad said:

and no silly clothes required either.

Looks pretty stupid to me.

The fashion is perhaps ok if you are part of the inbred upper classes in England.

101117_FS_304.jpg

I think those guys are going to shoot actual birds, not clays. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, hoppy said:

The fashion is perhaps ok if you are part of the inbred upper classes in England.

101117_FS_304.jpg

That’s rough and driven game shooting, totally different. 

18 minutes ago, spankoka said:

I think those guys are going to shoot actual birds, not clays. 

You’d of thought he’d have figured that out as he was desperately googling for a picture. 

Shorts and t-shirts 10 days ago. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mad said:

You’d of thought he’d have figured that out as he was desperately googling for a picture. 

Shorts and t-shirts 10 days ago. 

The mental picture of your avatar Mad in shorts and t-shirts playing golf is stuck in my head now.

Itsa bugger, for sure,  but so good that there were no people probs. (As it should be! What the hell happened off Newc the other week, I’ll never understand!!) But even the French tip ‘em over, willy nilly, so you’re in good company. 

But can someone, please, hurry up and go out there, tip the thing back up, bail it out, drag it back in, wash it out and give it back to the owner.

It’s always been a freak of a boat (just very very beautiful and the way it sailed- wow- definitely one of Crowther’s best) and I really wanted to see it since it’s big birthday douche up of recent. 

S’pose if you play with your toys sometimes they get broke. C’est la vie. 

7 hours ago, hoppy said:

101117_FS_304.jpg

Clearly you must be wearing a tie in order to properly discharge a firearm. That must explain my relatively poor accuracy.

On 9/22/2019 at 4:40 PM, PIL66 - XL2 said:

The boat was Enigma... they did a great job... Big thanks to them and Sea Hawk from Cronulla

glad you're ok brother ! hopefully it buffs right out.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Salvage have failed to find the boat today and have called it quits

I'm gutted

It’ll turn up mate. Just hopefully not on the beach. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KC375 said:

Clearly you must be wearing a tie in order to properly discharge a firearm. That must explain my relatively poor accuracy.

No, it's not the tie, KC,... I bet none of those gentlemen has split an infinitive since they left prep school. Throws the aim, don't you know? :-)

Cheers,

W. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KC375 said:

Surprised they can hit much wearing all that lot!

1 hour ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

I'm gutted

Sorry to hear about the boat..........goes without saying, its still a good result that everybody got off safely.

• Like 1

Glad everyone is ok and the boat will turn up soon. 

Sailing is a dangerous pastime activity. 

And expensive. Human life is much more valuable, however!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WGWarburton said:

No, it's not the tie, KC,... I bet none of those gentlemen has split an infinitive since they left prep school. Throws the aim, don't you know? :-)

Cheers,

W. 

Yes, they would all be category threes:

''The English-speaking world may be divided into (1) those who neither know nor care what a split infinitive is; (2) those who do not know, but care very much; (3) those who know and condemn; (4) those who know and approve; and (5) those who know and distinguish.''

15 hours ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

I'm gutted

Jeeze, that's a blow - you wouldn't expect it to travel very far.  Did they use a light plane or just search from sea level?  Might be worth a joyflight.

Do you still have 66?

29 minutes ago, Recidivist said:

Jeeze, that's a blow - you wouldn't expect it to travel very far.  Did they use a light plane or just search from sea level?  Might be worth a joyflight.

Do you still have 66?

They used a light plain and boat

66 was sold

Bugger!  It must be heartbreaking to know that your much loved boat is drifting out there somewhere.  But as others have said, at least all crew are safe. 

Any lessons for the rest of us, or was it just a shit happens sort of thing?

16 hours ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

I'm gutted

Damn, sorry to hear it.

Just heard the news Pil, so sorry to hear. Have they found her yet? That’s really freaky about your two shockwave incidents???. 

Edited by he b gb
I thought Pil had 3 incidents dealing with Shockwaves then realised that it was only two

34 minutes ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

The boat has been located off Montague Island.... 
We will see how it all looks maybe today... fingers crossed

How far is that from the capsize site?

East Cast Current strikes again

Lucky she hit there, another 50nm or so south and she would have been on her way to Auckland.

1 hour ago, Rushman said:

How far is that from the capsize site?

East Cast Current strikes again

180-200mile

1 hour ago, SCARECROW said:

Lucky she hit there, another 50nm or so south and she would have been on her way to Auckland.

agree... it was the last station... express train east

5 hours ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Good luck 

24 minutes ago, Bill E Goat said:

Slipped below the big trun left, Montague is 36,15 s - where the red dot is.

160 nm in 10 days - 0.6 knots

image.png.0fa43c636511db5d56a5623fe78af97d.png

long way north right now

14 hours ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Sorry to hear about the events and good luck with salvage.

Hope you get her back PIL.  

22 hours ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Very surprised they didn't find it the first day or so after the flip - but great news all the same.  Bit 'o slime to buff off and she'll be right.

impressive bit of calculations by the salvage guy

@PIL66 - XL2 looking forward to seeing it back in front of CSC again soon

Great news indeed.  PIL, when you get a chance, we'd love to hear the in-depth stuff - how/why she flipped, lessons learnt in the rescue, how they towed her (upside down? - Rig still in?), how they righted her, why the mast is down now, and what work needs to be done to get her out racing again - thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keith said:

When was that pic taken? before or after finding her.

After. The caption said this was at the dock after being towed in by the fishing boat.

She looks pretty good considering what she may have been through.....

Such a classic L.Crowther multihull.... :)

You asked what happened to XL2... Well here is my basic report

Just to clarify the incident .... We ventured out with a forecast of no more than 20... We turned south and hoisted the masthead kite with full main (16 knots wind ) Boat speed was comfortable at 17- 20.. We sailed 8-10 miles with not a hint of nosedive. We jibed and heated a couple of degrees and maybe the breeze was now 20 ish. We surfed down a very short wave (NE wind swell) and it grabbed the front beam and stopped us dead sending the sterns up in the air.. Mike Peberdy Paul Nudd and others will have experienced this many times.
One of the issues is as you get launched forward into the cabin top, you have nothing to hang on to except the sheets in your hand and reaction is to use them to hang on where they need to be dumped so there was a delay for sure.
lessons for me.... I did not feel overpowered at all but yet I sent it over so my safety margin was clearly not enough. If I'd have had a reef and either a Frac kite or zero up instead, It would likely not have happened and boat speed would have been down but only by a little. i was way in front racing monos so there really wasn't a need for the extra speed.
It's something I need to balance. I've owned boats like this because speed is my thing. (and many others here) ...I'm just a hopeless adrenalin junkie but I've learned my lesson as i could have killed my mates in my quest for the rush

I need to also apologise to the multi community for adding weight to the idea that multi's are unsafe.  Insurance on multis is hard enough to get without more mishaps like mine.

I have bought the boat back and we are rebuilding

Thanks 

Pil

IMG_5652.JPG

• Like 7

An observation..

Some days it seems the world has become much more selfish, and in recent years that seems to be permeating into our sport. Kinda logical I suppose if one stopped to think about it.

If I think back over the last few years of similar circumstances of skippers explaining whatever controversial circumstance they found themselves in, more often than I am left with a feeling of distaste, discomfort in the guilt by association in being a sailor. The cause of this was due to the blame game, the complete absolution of any responsibility of self, or this penchant to throw anyone under the bus to protect what...pride.

I admit that without a minor qualification that's a cunt of a way to think, as in some cases it is absolutely true they had no fault in proceedings.

It's the readiness and eagerness to blame anybody else that is the tell. And what makes it even worse is the loss of an opportunity for a community to learn and benefit and get better at what we do,.

And then Pil comes along. 

Kicks my cynical outlook into the gutter, and then casually pisses on it by showing a sense of character that I admire, and for no other reason than to give back to a community. .  

I hope I show similar grace if I ever am faced with the same situation.

PS: I'm more and more intrigued about the dump system on the big french tris as emergency solution to dumping everything. Even a monohull could benefit from more of that sort of  thinking. 

• Like 8

Playing the blame game helps no one, shit happens to everyone and it should only be recalled as a learning opportunity for all to avoid bad things happening in the future.

Didn't the gunboats also have a dump system? And I think some big mono's that have hydraulic vang's have a dump system for similar reasons

1 hour ago, JonRowe said:

Playing the blame game helps no one, shit happens to everyone and it should only be recalled as a learning opportunity for all to avoid bad things happening in the future

You do enough miles, you sink a few a boats! At least that is what I tell my non sailing friends about the two boats I have sunk :) 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

You do enough miles, you sink a few a boats! At least that is what I tell my non sailing friends about the two boats I have sunk :) 

Now he tells me...:o

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, shaggybaxter said:

Now he tells me...:o

Fear not, have only managed to sink two runabouts, combined value about $4000, so far :) 

and that is why we love you Pil!

all are/were safe because you had done the proper prep.

But a question Mr @PIL66 - XL2 ... how is the lil puppy now? has it returned northand a new stick up?

• Like 1

Thanks all
I find you get more respect for admitting a fuck up, not less.  As a kid or young adult, i deflected a lot. I have around 15-30 workers so this has taught me how to just put my hand up and learn from it because many of them don't and it shits me big time... 

Yes if you do enough miles you open yourself up to risk...The alternative is to sit on the lounge pulling cones or sinking piss but i'm too hyperactive for that.....

My first major fuck up was a bullet ski boat in the waves at Cronulla. My second was 21 ft Connelly ski boat at Foster. I've rolled and flipped my Thundercat inflatable surf race boats so many times I can't remember. next was the Shockwave at Flinders Island but i won't take blame for that. Now lastly my cat...so i have good form...

I've raced in many sports over many years for the rush and I won't get into the three times i nearly died other than to say it's all a life experience and I regret very little.

So now It is time to take stock, slow down and enjoy the tail end of it. I've just pulled out of this years Hobart on Maserati and now will start to rebuild XL2 into what i want. This should take 3-6 months. The plan then is to club race and do some social overnights with my girl and mates but that's only if I can get insurance. .I hope they aren't reading this....If not i'll have to sell it to someone who is less of a risk.

BTW as @Chidz said, It was no fluke we got out without injury or death. We were well prepared. Like with my motorbikes .... I ride with ATGATT (All the gear all the time) We also had a very thorough safety briefing before the start... I can't stress that enough....  

There are a few auto dump systems around but I can't afford them. There are also manual panic button dumps on hydraulic systems like big monos have had for a long time for the vang... I'm going to keep it simple and reduce sail earlier...

You are all welcome to come out for a run next year when it's done...

@shaggybaxter... what happened to your boat...?  

• Like 8

On 11/21/2019 at 9:47 AM, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Thanks all
I find you get more respect for admitting a fuck up, not less.  As a kid or young adult, i deflected a lot. I have around 15-30 workers so this has taught me how to just put my hand up and learn from it because many of them don't and it shits me big time... 

Yes if you do enough miles you open yourself up to risk...The alternative is to sit on the lounge pulling cones or sinking piss but i'm too hyperactive for that.....

My first major fuck up was a bullet ski boat in the waves at Cronulla. My second was 21 ft Connelly ski boat at Foster. I've rolled and flipped my Thundercat inflatable surf race boats so many times I can't remember. next was the Shockwave at Flinders Island but i won't take blame for that. Now lastly my cat...so i have good form...

I've raced in many sports over many years for the rush and I won't get into the three times i nearly died other than to say it's all a life experience and I regret very little.

So now It is time to take stock, slow down and enjoy the tail end of it. I've just pulled out of this years Hobart on Maserati and now will start to rebuild XL2 into what i want. This should take 3-6 months. The plan then is to club race and do some social overnights with my girl and mates but that's only if I can get insurance. .I hope they aren't reading this....If not i'll have to sell it to someone who is less of a risk.

BTW as @Chidz said, It was no fluke we got out without injury or death. We were well prepared. Like with my motorbikes .... I ride with ATGATT (All the gear all the time) We also had a very thorough safety briefing before the start... I can't stress that enough....  

There are a few auto dump systems around but I can't afford them. There are also manual panic button dumps on hydraulic systems like big monos have had for a long time for the vang... I'm going to keep it simple and reduce sail earlier...

You are all welcome to come out for a run next year when it's done...

You seriously need to discover Blokarts Pil!

• Like 1

On 11/21/2019 at 9:47 AM, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Hi mate,

Had a few issues with it being tampered with, the batteries are toast from them cutting the shore power cable and leaving it in water, docklines were untied so some hull repair from bouncing off the dock cleat. I moved the boat to another marina at Manly and thankfully it has all stopped.   Still chasing a few electrical gremlins but am on top of most of it now.

Cheers,

SB

• Like 2