smackdaddy

SailGP 2020

Just put up the R1 play-by-play on my world-famous blog...other races coming soon...

So, overall assessment:

• 48 knots in medium conditions.
  • Ben Ainslie is a monster.
  • There were 15 PLACE SHUFFLES in 1-3 throughout the race. If that’s not close racing, I don’t know what is.
  • The commentary on this one absolutely sucked. “Alpha Male”, “banana peels”, and “something disco”? Please help us.
  • Several technical issues were evident. But it is the first race of the season.
  • Someone please slap the sound guy. The fake beach soundbed and crowd noise is a complete eyeroll.
  • It is AMAZING how quickly these races go. 
  • It’s a perfect product for “television”. Well done SailGP.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

Zowie mad! You're making me look like an F'n Saint! See?

247908240_ScreenShot2020-02-29at9_20_57PM.png.6b26a62f70ef23188b5d49c8cd115351.png

Heh.

Clew makes valid points here and there, which is why I still go back and forth. The rest of the morons in the Circus thread can't string together a single logical thought through their haze of ignorance, bitterness, and insecurity.

I just enjoy SailGP and am thankful we have it. It's made sailing far more exciting and accessible for millions of people. And it's damn exciting to follow.

Sorry my bad, I’ve got mates that went in a big group and had a ball, I got plenty pictures from playtime at night and they loved the atmosphere at the race, I think the atmosphere bit is lost on TV, the actual event is turning out to be better live than broadcast. I won’t apologise for shutting down the whiners if they are trying to shut down this thread, when there are plenty of threads for people that aren’t into this kind of racing. The commentators do need to be replaced

7 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Money lets a team train together full time. Money lets a team buy additional sim time. 

Ben and his team have had a lot of quality time together in part, lol, because the are a team for "another event" with a multiyear timeframe.

(...) 

This is so obvious, why argue about it? The more the team can sail/work together the better it gets - especially compared to teams that don't have this opportunity. Whether it needs to be the AC or can be any other series probably doesn't matter. 

• Like 1

So the question is how do the teams and SailGP address the issue of teams spending time training on the water, to level up the possible advantage a well resourced team that has focus on another high end event be it AC or TP 52 series.  It appears between events teams don’t have enough access to on the water training.  One solution might to be for SailGP to set up a training camp (aka Figaro training, Olympic training...) at an established training facility, say for example in the UK Portland, with two suitable boats(GC32?) and invite teams along to train together.  This would also have the benefit of linking to aspiring young sailors, it would cost but it is the interest of SailGP and would do justice to the event, the sailors and F50.

• Like 1

On commentary -- the mainstream commentary was very dull for sailors IMO; and just generally very relaxed. If you are on the app, there's a second commentary stream that's on the "map camera" -- led by Jodi Shiels. You have to set the map camera as your primary (top) view.

I loved his commentary on season one. On season two, they had much better commentary than the mainstream track -- for example, they spotted and described USA stuffing their bows in real time, while the mainstream commentary was "oh, USA has stopped, wonder why? yeah they are really stopped". However, the camera editing didn't follow Jodi, so you'd know it happened but the camera edit was following whatever the mainstream commentary was focused on. 

Jodi's races were twice as exciting, as he spotted a lot of little crosses, advantages and decisions. He knows the personalities and the decisions being made, and has a keen eye to spot them live. Without that, the mainstream commentators where describing a golf game, with big pauses to reminisce and comment on something from last season.

The tone in Jodi's stream I found it a bit too blokey-matey. It's ok, he's clearly going for the home crowd, but it's easy to overdo. If he'd dial it back a bit; aiming for the Season 1 tone, and had the camera edit follow him, this would be really compelling.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Barbican Sailor said:

So the question is how do the teams and SailGP address the issue of teams spending time training on the water, to level up the possible advantage a well resourced team that has focus on another high end event be it AC or TP 52 series.  It appears between events teams don’t have enough access to on the water training.  One solution might to be for SailGP to set up a training camp (aka Figaro training, Olympic training...) at an established training facility, say for example in the UK Portland, with two suitable boats(GC32?) and invite teams along to train together.  This would also have the benefit of linking to aspiring young sailors, it would cost but it is the interest of SailGP and would do justice to the event, the sailors and F50.

I honestly don't think any "justice" needs to be done to the event. The complaint has been that it's somehow "not fair" to the teams that are doing poorly not to have more time and money. And that's just rubbish. For S1, all the teams were funded by SailGP...and everything was "fair". But it was also made crystal clear that sponsorship needed to be acquired by all teams within a set time. And, in doing so, those teams would not only survive in SailGP, they would thrive precisely because they would have the time and resources to do the kind of thing you mention above.

If I recall, AUS did something similar to what you describe last season. And already, SailGP gives the developing teams more time on these boats than the more experienced teams. So they are doing it correctly.

Again, SailGP is not a charity event. It's a professional league. Every single team is on equal footing from a business perspective. Those that can secure sponsorship and funding will survive and thrive. And those that can't wont. As Rome Kirby said...

Has the league mandated a point at which all the teams need to be self-supported?

As you stated, there’s the five-year plan, and each year there’s targets. If teams are under-performing from a commercial side, my guess would be SailGP would definitely reevaluate because I know there’s teams waiting in the wings with funding. So if a team is not performing from a commercial standpoint, then they’ll probably make changes– not probably, most definitely. Not only do you have to perform on the water, you got to perform off the water.

So, let's stop the hand-wringing and pee-wee-soccer-parenting.

wjRZ8g.gif

The path to success if very, very clear to these guys. And they support it because of the value SailGP brings them.

• Downvote 1

Sorry for the late report.

Sat on our same rock for Saturday. This time it was just 150 metres from the top mark gate and directly along the start line. So great views of the pre-start as well. You could easily see the full length of the course.

Sorry, photos and uploading is way past my skill set.

The take-away for me as a result of the terrible starts of GBR in the last fleet race and AUS in the  match race was how difficult it is to get these great boats up to speed and foiling in light wind once you are downspeed in light wind.

Lots of people with no sailing knowledge at all lining the shores as spectators.

All in all a great spectacle, easy to view and a success in spreading some of the sailing word and raising interest for  non sailors. For sailors, a reasonable amount of tactics and you could not fail to be impressed by these boats and the crews handling them .

Not sure how the $$ to go out on spectator boats or Shark Island can be justified but maybe that is my Scottish heritage. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, martin 'hoff said:

The tone in Jodi's stream I found it a bit too blokey-matey. It's ok, he's clearly going for the home crowd, but it's easy to overdo. If he'd dial it back a bit; aiming for the Season 1 tone, and had the camera edit follow him, this would be really compelling.

I agree Jodi was good but you are right... It is a little Roy and HG ish... 

I watched Friday from a boat at the bottom mark of the course... It was brilliant with people cheering and clapping....

Aussies were slow compared to the Ainslie show... 
Basic errors by Slingers in the final was not good enough.... but an Aussie won anyway..

USA was good but I was impressed buy the speed of Spain

I love Sail GP

• Like 2

Incredible photo - and great attitude. I really do admire the AUS guys. Somebody better fund them!

Screen-Shot-2020-03-02-at-11.50.55-AM.pn

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

what happened to the youtube vids? I was in the middle of Day 1 races yesterday (1:30hr video) and today neither that nor Day 2 are available,

19 minutes ago, EarthBM said:

what happened to the youtube vids? I was in the middle of Day 1 races yesterday (1:30hr video) and today neither that nor Day 2 are available,

Maybe just in US? Or else it is just part of the business model. Maybe the app is only place to watch replays now.  

1 hour ago, EarthBM said:

Marketing redefined

• Like 1

I watched the YT videos, and the interviews of the skippers in between races had mangled audio. I'd expect the video to be replaced at some point soon. 

3 hours ago, EarthBM said:

I watched Day 1 last night and the first race of Day 2, and decided to save the rest for today. What is the point in removing it?

In OZ,  we can get them all on Kayo (which is a subsidiary of Fox).  Maybe you can get them through Fox in the US.

25 minutes ago, DtM said:

In OZ,  we can get them all on Kayo (which is a subsidiary of Fox).  Maybe you can get them through Fox in the US.

No they signed up with CBSSports in US. It has an app if you have it in your cable bundle.  Or maybe it is OnDemand.

Good article from SW: https://www.sail-world.com/news/227098/Yes-Minister

I especially like this part...

Finally then, this image is real. As our Managing Editor, Mark Jardine says, "It's one of those shots which ties grass roots to the absolute pinnacle." SailGP's Inspire programme is all about creating life-changing opportunities for people aged 9-23 years though sailing, and is made possible through the efforts of SailGP's partners RS Sailing, WASZP, Rooster and MarkSetBot.

yysw282185.jpg

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Japan Team has them up, at least in US. English with subtitles. Sssshhh! :)

27 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

I liked this part too.

https://www.sail-world.com/news/227098/Yes-Minister

"The big cheese

As per last year, when we did exactly the same, we also spoke with the man himself, Russell Coutts. Once again he was very gracious with his time, talking for 15 minutes, and we will have a separate piece this week with all of the information that came from that discussion.

This time, we not only had a look ahead, but also his take on the year that was. My first question was that if he was writing his own report card, what would he give SailGP. "Six out of ten. There is still a lot to improve, but I do think we are getting there quickly. Operationally we can look at many things, and I think we have to look at it this way to get us to where it can be. We have to push ourselves to improve

To repeat myself from "elsewhere,"  if RC really does grade them 6 out of 10 now, good for him.  Realist.  One (including myself) might even cheer them on as opposed to mock the self congratulatory bs his employees churn out.  But he needs to fire those ludicrous hypesters doing the press releases. 

...6/10 is actually about what I would give it.  If one whinges  at anything that says it's not 10/10...well is one  saying RC is a Kiwhinger, lol?

Seriously, if he said 6/10 I apologize to him for blaming him for the stupid hype. He needs to read it and fire them. Larry largesse will come and go. As ever. Others may pay. Keep those and build. Bag the bs.

I think rating this particular event a 6/10 is about right (e.g. - compared to the S1 events like SF, NY, Cowes). There were definitely technical and logistical issues that were evident. And they are clearly working to get the right mix of production techniques (stupid sfx, poor commentary, etc.). But I like the fact that he's intent on improving. That's always what you want to see out of the "The Big Cheese" (and any of the other team leaders as well). As he says, you "have to look at it this way" to set the environment for improvement. Bingo.

Overall, as I've said many time, I think SailGP rates a 10/10 when it comes to the vision and the product. Elements of it will always have room for improvement, but that same article talks about how its widening appeal is already clearly evident....

SailGP's Season Two opener in Sydney went off with a bang as usual, and you get the feeling that there were more people watching via various mediums, including plain old being there. On that very score, the anecdotal account is that there were far more punters, based on what they were taking snaps of, and that can only mean more people interested, and ultimately, more participation. Nice one!

Then you have that image I posted above, which clearly illustrates the right vision for the up-and-coming sailors via the Inspire program. SailGP has a very solid model here.

So, all good I think.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

CBS Sports is currently televising the races.  2 back to back one hour programs.  Have no idea who the announcers/commentators are.  One of them is female.  Aussies most likely.

• Like 1

That explains why they pulled the vids from YT. Full replays and data still available on the app.

As for the commentators:

Saskia Clark

Stevie Morrison (Phil's kid)

Rob Walker

I'd rate them a 2/10. They need to step up their game.

• Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

That explains why they pulled the vids from YT. Full replays and data still available on the app.

As for the commentators:

Saskia Clark

Stevie Morrison (Phil's kid)

Rob Walker

I'd rate them a 2/10. They need to step up their game.

Thanks

Was simply surfing through my cable channel lineup looking for something to watch.  Came across “sailing” on CBS Sports and found the races.

• Like 2

My astute analysis of the second race is up. Lot's of cool details in this one....

++++++++

So, overall assessment? I think I’m going to need to break this into 2 pieces from here on – Presentation and Racing.

PRESENTATION: The commentary was a little better, but due to the continued glitches, especially missing the USA crash…

2 SMACKS

smacks_2.jpg

RACING: This is just flat out incredible racing. I can understand some idiots grumbling about GBR being so dominant, but from what I’ve heard, that kind of describes Ben Ainslie. Even still, USA was giving him a run for his money and things never let up behind them. So…

5 SMACKS
smacks_5.jpg

• 46+ knots in medium conditions.
  • Ben Ainslie is – again – a monster. BUT he’s showing some cracks here and there. Even so he will never be caught until these other boats find a perfect run through much better handling and tactics.
  • There were 22+ PLACE SHUFFLES in 2-5 throughout the race. If that’s not close racing, I don’t know what is.
  • The commentary was a bit better, but still not good by any measure.
  • Way too many technical issues. Sure, only the second race – but when you are starting to question the data you’re seeing, that’s a problem. And the loss of the USA onboard camera really sucks because we don’t know what happened.
  • Yet again, it is AMAZING how quickly these races go. Less than 10 minutes of non-stop action. Rob even mentioned as much.
  • Great race.
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

Way too many technical issues. Sure, only the second race – but when you are starting to question the data you’re seeing, that’s a problem. And the loss of the USA onboard camera really sucks because we don’t know what happened.

USA were leading the race and were getting pushed hard coming into the boundary line ..Rome was trying to keep in a gust and had to much lift then rudder pooped out ....game over he fell straight into a pothole and filled the hulls up with water ,went from 1st to 4th in a flash ...

GBR were not making these mistakes that’s why he won 4 races and the weekend overall ... simple as that 

the other teams need to look at the way the GBR team  are sending there boat through the tacks and  gybes ,they are using a completely different technique then the other teams and it is fast 

• Like 1

Looking for the Youtube feed myself and came across this video of the Inspire races. Fun for the kids and a great experience that I’m sure they’ll never forget!

• Like 2

@dgunt_sailingfanny - are you unhappy with something I said...in every single post? Why would you spend so much time downvoting someone that isn't even in a conversation with you?

2028379511_ScreenShot2020-03-03at12_46_18PM.thumb.png.c19a20ceaaaed39cb858f549f55d38a4.png

• Like 1

Watched it on the app last night. Ainslie is impressive. I guess the F50 isn’t that different from the AC. Parko and Goobs are weapons 

• Like 2

There is a lot of talk - and a bit of whinging - about BA being so dominate in the Sydney races. But here's the cool thing about that - EVERYONE has access to ALL the data.

They can see exactly what GBR did, when they did it, how exactly they did it, why they did it - and learn more than any simulator out there or even racing against GBR for 2-3 seasons - could possibly teach them.

THIS is the absolute game-changer of SailGP and is why it only gets better for every, single team each time that bar is significantly raised.

So, I think these teams now have a very clear path to improvement. Yes, as RK said, having more time on the boats would be helpful. But being able to analyze every single datapoint of the best team in the game is actually more important. THEN you have something to practice when you do get that time.

• Downvote 1

The Sydney event videos are back up on YT.

• Downvote 1

There is no doubt that smooth boat handling is vital and that is what GBR had (and for once AUS did not have).

My impression of USA, watching live so you could focus on a boat rather than the TV coverage, was that they had a lot of good moments (including starts) but that they had some truly bad boat handling moments in each race  that cost them really badly. The cost of a big mistake is many hundreds of metres and you cannot get that back in these short races.

• Like 1

Yep, clean a few things up. Good summary.

It has been a long since I last posted on SA, though this weekends race encouraged me to do so.

I've been aware of SailGP since it started, but haven't followed last years season closely.

Of course, as a dane myself, and with a danish team participating in the race, that makes SailGP even more interesting to me, which is why I started watching it.

What I'm missing though, why is the last race a match race? Why not just keep the fleet race format, and then change the scoring points in the last race, e.g. double the points?

What would be good for the non-sailors watching it, would be a map of the course with the positions of the boats on it - similar to F1 etc, as the course and its direction in relation to the wind isn't obvious to landlubbers.

Some better camera angles on board, closely following camera drones and POV would make it even more watchable.

I'm not aware that any of the above is available in the app?

Minimising the time between the races a bit, would be nice as well.

And by the way, who's that Mr. Clean-guy? And why is he so bitter about an event that actually makes sailing interesting to non-sailors?

• Like 1

A member for more than 2 years and you haven't run into Clean !!!

5 hours ago, Misbehavin' said:

And by the way, who's that Mr. Clean-guy? And why is he so bitter...

Don't worry, he's just one of those trolls who doesn't really matter.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, Misbehavin' said:

It has been a long since I last posted on SA, though this weekends race encouraged me to do so.

I've been aware of SailGP since it started, but haven't followed last years season closely.

Of course, as a dane myself, and with a danish team participating in the race, that makes SailGP even more interesting to me, which is why I started watching it.

What I'm missing though, why is the last race a match race? Why not just keep the fleet race format, and then change the scoring points in the last race, e.g. double the points?

I guess it's preference, but I do like the match race at the end. It takes some of the frenetic pace out of it and let's you focus on what they're doing tactically. You should go watch last year's final to see how close it can be (70 cm). Since the races go by so quickly, I would vote for 2 of 3 though.

What would be good for the non-sailors watching it, would be a map of the course with the positions of the boats on it - similar to F1 etc, as the course and its direction in relation to the wind isn't obvious to landlubbers.

Some better camera angles on board, closely following camera drones and POV would make it even more watchable.

I'm not aware that any of the above is available in the app?

Both of the above (and a lot more) are available in the app. You should get it, you'll be blown away.

Minimising the time between the races a bit, would be nice as well.

IMG_0604.png

You can select from different real-time video feeds in either/both of the video windows. Here you see an onboard feed and the course/umpire feed with the course like you say - but you also have the broadcast feed you can choose from. And you get all he real-time data for any boat you choose, etc. So you have a fully customizable viewing experience. It's very cool. And I think it's far better than even the F1 app.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

I always take Gladwell with a huge grain of salt as he is usually extremely biased in his view. For example, I have to squint quite a bit to give him this one...

For Ainslie and his team, it was their debut regatta on the SailGP. However, the most successful Olympic sailor of all time is certainly no novice when it comes to racing foiling one-design catamarans. His then Land Rover BAR team won the 2015/16 America's Cup World Series and took two points into the 2017 America's Cup Qualifiers. That was against a more talented field than SailGP and was conducted in a mix of fleet and match racing using one design foiling AC45's.

There is a huge difference between talent and experience. SailGP is definitely geared at this point toward younger talent - which automatically mean less experience. But it certainly doesn't mean "less talent".

Rich really needs to check his objectivity meter more often if he wants to be taken seriously as a sailing journalist.

• Downvote 1

PS - Ben himself disagrees with Rich. So that's all you need to know.

• Downvote 1

Some good info about the boat upgrades from NO...

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

And from Slingers...

• Downvote 1

This Crosbie Lorimer dude is so much better than virtually any "sailing media" person I've seen thus far (Gladwell, Ehmans, etc.). Really good questions, etc. Those are his videos above - and he has more on his channel. Check him out...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0VbcPHuDY20S4hvvyMHoUw/videos

Now he actually deserves the press credential.

• Downvote 1

Watch Nathan's video above. He mentions "foil wash". I'd not heard that before. Also talks about the very limited value of the sim. Pretty interesting.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Also a great interview with PhilR...

• Downvote 1

10 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

Watch Nathan's video above. He mentions "foil wash". I'd not heard that before. Also talks about the very limited value of the sim. Pretty interesting.

Nathan's interviews are the best. He's very technical and is always dropping hints.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2020 at 11:47 AM, Kenny Dumas said:

Watched it on the app last night. Ainslie is impressive. I guess the F50 isn’t that different from the AC. Parko and Goobs are weapons 

THEY ARE THE TOTALLY DIFFERENT YOU PROLLY CLOWN!

15 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

I'd not heard that before. 

shocker.  lubber has not heard sailing term.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2020 at 7:48 AM, smackdaddy said:

@dgunt_sailingfanny - are you unhappy with something I said...in every single post? Why would you spend so much time downvoting someone that isn't even in a conversation with you?

2028379511_ScreenShot2020-03-03at12_46_18PM.thumb.png.c19a20ceaaaed39cb858f549f55d38a4.png

WAT ARE YOU ABOUT .I Click THE like!?

Sure look like downvotes to me !!!!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

shocker.  lubber has not heard sailing term.

Go back to putting the extra non slip on your tub clean, to me your the scaredy lubber here

1 hour ago, madboutcats said:

Go back to putting the extra non slip on your tub clean, to me your the scaredy lubber here

Heh.

I've never foiled, so I'm definitely learning a lot here. Not embarrassed about that at all. Maybe Clean has, I don't know. I've never seen it. And even if he has, I certainly question whether it was in a situation where he would actually know how foil wash feels. Clean just talks - always has - so he's much more familiar with uvula wash than anything else. "Lubber"? Really? Who says that anymore?

That said, foiling is definitely in my future. Maybe not a Moth - but I really like the Whispers.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, DtM said:

Sure look like downvotes to me !!!!

Dgunt is the sharpest of knives in the drawer, more like a blunt spoon. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, mad said:

Dgunt is the sharpest of knives in the drawer, more like a blunt spoon. 

That's being gracious...

475585760_ScreenShot2020-03-05at3_59_13PM.thumb.png.467e0366a7f71205400c6a000e74c7da.png

The only thing I can think of is that this person actually thinks I give a damn about the number below my name. This is SA, not CF - NO ONE here should have positive rep. It's embarrassing.

I'd never seen this little game until the AC thread. Weird little people over there.

• Downvote 1

There's a lot to hate over there. Heh.

• Downvote 1

Great song. You should teach it to the Kiwis.

Next race analysis coming up as soon as I finish my scotch. How many Smacks will it deserve? Stay tuned.

• Downvote 1

Imagine there's no hull number litmus test

It isn't hard to do 

No blazers to fuss or fight over

And no "old fashioned" stigma too

Imagine all the people

Enjoying many kinds of sailing in peace.

-----------

But that would not generate page views.  :(

• Like 1

Good interview with RC from a couple of days ago...

https://www.sail-world.com/news/227200/SailGP--QandA-with-Russell-Coutts

Interesting take on USA (good to see)...

JC: And Team USA certainly had some blinding pace in parts on the first day, if not so much today (Saturday).

RC: Yes I think the US team has actually got some promise. They're sailing the boat well. There are a couple of areas where they need to improve on, and they know that, and they're working through it.

They've got some real talent on board. I think Riley Gibbs, their wing trimmer, is really strong. They've got a good vibe now, and they've got Kimo Worthington managing their team, which has made a big difference. I think they're showing some growth now, and they're putting in a better performance. And okay, Rome wasn't built in a day for them, which is a bit of a pun.

I'm pretty optimistic about the US, and they've got a good crop of young sailors underneath. The US is coming back. It went through a bit of a low period with their Olympic and youth sailing, but that's changing rapidly. They've got a strong youth contingent there, and that's going to flow through.

And another, 8th, team coming in next season...

JC: You built the seventh boat, which is fantastic. Are you thinking it's one a year that you'll be able to achieve, without exploding as a result of your own growth?

RC: Yes. We'll be able to announce an eighth team very soon, so that's exciting.

JC: Are they for this year or next?

They'll join next year, but obviously I'll give them as much preparation time as possible to get up to speed. You know, it's one of the challenges. We've got to give these new teams enough time. You saw team with Denmark that they need the time to get their act together. You know these can be really difficult boats to sail.

• Downvote 1

Also, pay close attention to this little tidbit as things roll out over the next few seaons...

Of course, everyone knows that there were one of the main players in transforming the UFC? That's where we've got to go with this. We can't be just switching off after an event finishes, so eventually ten teams, ten events is our first step, but long term - 20 years' time - 20 events.

Great interview - LOTS of good info.

• Downvote 1

Holy shit Granton!  I used to live on a ferrocement sloop in that exact spot. Dried out 2x per day, got used to the smell of rotting mud. 

The council housing estate (government-subsidized housing, here) that sits just west of the pier is where the book Trainspotting was set. Those folks are gonna love the GP50! And the three chippies up the road ain't bad.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

BA's performance has inspired another venue to consider vying for 2022  

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/best-in-edinburgh/whats-on-news/sailgp-high-speed-international-sailing-17893249

Very cool. Edinburgh is one of my favorite cities. A couple of beers on Aurthur's Seat watching the run up would be a fine evening...maybe with binocs.

Race 3 analysis is up. This was a good one...

So, overall assessment?

PRESENTATION: The commentary continues to improve – but there are still a few technical glitches. But overall, getting better…

3 SMACKS

smacks_3.jpg

RACING: Yet again, just flat out incredible racing. There was NEVER a time when this one was “sewn up”…

5 SMACKS

smacks_5.jpg

• 43+ knots in medium conditions.
  • Not as many place shuffles – but that was because it was really tight across the fleet from start to finish.
  • Yet again, it is AMAZING how quickly these races go. Less than 10 minutes of non-stop action.
  • I have to give immense props to Nathan O. That guy has built such a competitive team so quickly. He is undoubtedly…

giphy.gif

Pre-sale discount tickets today and tomorrow for NYC. 

SF tickets on sale now. 

Hotel rates should be good.

This is what I've been trying to explain to the Kiwis for a while now. They don't seem to get it.

1 hour ago, NeedAClew said:

OK, you are allowed to read Newsweek and even allowed to think that their opinion pieces are worth reading....but for heaven's sake, quote a respectable source, not this dreck.  And even more, keep it OUT of sailing anarchy if it doesn't have anything to do with sailing.

Posted (edited)

You don't think it has anything to do with SGP2020 or other sailing?  QED 

PS. Post your own COVID related info that you deem credible. It's Anarchy after all, and as a sailing legend said elsewhere, I'll post where I please.

Stay well.

Edited by NeedAClew
PS

On 3/12/2020 at 6:44 AM, Rasputin22 said:

I'll just throw this out to the snarling crowd here.

New wing looks awesome! Nice work Core! New hydro are getting pretty darn close to what ETNZ had for AC50 :-)

Great to see LE's money continue to flow into NZ's sailing economy too.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, rh3000 said:

New wing looks awesome! Nice work Core! New hydro are getting pretty darn close to what ETNZ had for AC50 :-)

Great to see LE's money continue to flow into NZ's sailing economy too.

Warkworth wasn't built in a day, y'know! 

• Like 1

Bummer. As the saying goes...

giphy.gif

• Like 1

QED. 

Wonder if employees get paid? Disney's are. 

On 3/1/2020 at 4:17 PM, martin 'hoff said:

k -- for example, they spotted and described USA stuffing their bows in real time, while the mainstream commentary was "oh, USA has stopped, wonder why? yeah they are really stopped". However, the camera editing didn't follow Jodi, so you'd know it happened but the camera edit was following whatever the mainstream commentary was focused on. 

It actually happens the other way around. The mainstream commentary can only see what the TV producer shows them. They cannot see the live racing.

That obviously makes it easier for the live commentators on site, as they can talk about something they see out of the corner of their eye. Whereas the TV commentary has to follow only what the viewer sees on their screen.

I thought the Analysis Hub was pretty cool, and no doubt that will improve as well as the season goes on.

On 3/14/2020 at 10:54 AM, NeedAClew said:

QED. 

Wonder if employees get paid? Disney's are. 

A few posts ago you wanted the whole thing shut down and all employees thrown out on their arses due to someone paying for a meal with your president, now your worried wether they’ll be paid for a virus

4 hours ago, madboutcats said:

A few posts ago you wanted the whole thing shut down and all employees thrown out on their arses due to someone paying for a meal with your president, now your worried wether they’ll be paid for a virus

Well if that's how you read whatever I posted no wonder you are aggrieved. 

So to be consistent I should not care about employees because owner/employer supports a person who is gravely mishandling the virus situation in my country? Ok.

1 hour ago, NeedAClew said:

... read whatever I posted ...

Definition of blathermouth, right?

6 hours ago, Potter said:

I thought the Analysis Hub was pretty cool, and no doubt that will improve as well as the season goes on.

Agreed. This is one of the best additions I've seen since LiveLine itself. It really helps the broader audience understand what's happening with the boat. And with all this data coming off the boats, I'm sure they will continue to devise cool, new ways to leverage it. One of the benefits of having a data-driven tech force behind it.

Smack, there is a very good video over on SailWorld that should be copied over to this thread.  Ben v Slingers.  I have no idea how to do it.

Glad you are posting. Hope you did not go to spring break.