smackdaddy

SailGP 2020

On 11/9/2019 at 8:17 PM, NeedAClew said:

Well, they are good people. I hope they get some sponsors. Actually, I hope they get to become an Australian YC's challenger team before they age out. 

For whatever reason Aussie sponsors for actual cash are rarer than thylacines

• Like 2

Enjoy.

PS - Sounds like Ben Ainsle and Ineos have "sponsored" (taken over) the GBR SailGP team. And it sounds like Ben will be driving. So things are shaping up to be very interesting for Season 2!

PSS - Is the NYYC group next? (In addition to S+S who is already in)?

PSSS - So much for AC sailors "looking down" on SailGP as an "inferior" event. Actually, sounds like they are looking up.

PSSSS - I'm sure GD has some serious heartburn right now. Heh.

Well, Russell TOLD them all they HAD to get sponsors by the end of the upcoming season, didn't he?  Maybe this is faster than they thought, lol. Well, if they got (another) strongwilled, sporting billionaire, lol lol. Should be fun. 

AC50s would be better than the GC32s they had been playing with.  Wonder if they can pay RC extra to keep hold of "their" boat between SGP events? The new wingsails don't  need the hulls to be fabricated and aren't supposed to be used till SF anyway. The new foils are just being tested in 2020, so no need really for SGP to have the UK boat in hand. Modular construction for shipping in containers has advantages. 

PS That Rolex/SGP promo is clearly for the demo derby smash and crash thrill ride crowd.  Well, that is REDEFINING why people watch sailing, all right.  Smashes F50 good, smashes WOXI not good.

7 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

For whatever reason Aussie sponsors for actual cash are rarer than thylacines

If Sir Fracker has indeed sponsored the UK SGP team, maybe Rio Tinto can sponsor Slingsby.

56 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Well, Russell TOLD them all they HAD to get sponsors by the end of the upcoming season, didn't he?

Sure - but you have to ask yourself why INEOS and, especially Ben, would jump in here in the middle of everything else going on for them right now? The answer to that might be a lot more interesting than you think.

2 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

You have little idea what I think.

That's true. I do have an idea of how little you think.

Heh. See what I did there?

13 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

If Sir Fracker has indeed sponsored the UK SGP team, maybe Rio Tinto can sponsor Slingsby.

Aussies are so tight that one of 'em invented copper wire when arguing with a Scotsman over a penny

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

Classy...as always. [eyeroll]

Well AUS has an extra million to throw around at the mo.

here's a quiz:

Name three cash sponsors of Aussie yacht racing.  I'll wait.

23 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

Stay tuned, Clean.

well that always portends something momentous.  <breath held>

4 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

Classy...as always. [eyeroll]

Well AUS has an extra million to throw around at the mo.

Seems a little sad to "win" a prize and essentially have to give it back as self-sponsorship.  BTW that Digital Content Manager job is open again.

So, experts, is Ineos signing up as a multiyear sponsor for the GB team ( the way it was described in earlier posts somewhere about the "new, self-funding teams") or is this a one year thing?

Ahm, yeah, I posted about INEOS 2 days ago above (and the Dutch a few weeks ago if you recall). Details of the INEOS deal have yet to be released. Stay tuned to the authoritative thread.

On 11/13/2019 at 4:24 PM, NeedAClew said:

BTW that Digital Content Manager job is open again.

lol

they have a couple bucks to pay someone now...for a few months anyway

In another thread we talked about good story-telling in sailing media. I think SailGP is doing a great job of that letting us get to know these sailors...

Screen-Shot-2019-11-15-at-1.14.30-PM.png

It's local news stories like this that give you the real feel for what's going on...

"The turnout last year was unbelievable and something we hadn’t experienced in the sport before, so we can’t wait to unleash the F50s on our home waters and showcase speeds and technology not often associated with the sport."

More than 24,000 spectators turned out to watch the action on the Solent last year, which reached a global audience of 231 million people.

SailGP is working with the Isle of Wight Council, Cowes Week Limited and ABP Southampton to stage the event.

https://www.countypress.co.uk/news/18040502.exhilarating-speeds-thrilling-action----sailgp-global-championship-return-isle-wight/

USA does a really good job with their content. Every one of the teams should have series like this...

Screen-Shot-2019-11-21-at-3.02.54-PM-1.p

I'll be tuning in.

On 11/14/2019 at 2:40 AM, MR.CLEAN said:

Aussies are so tight that one of 'em invented copper wire when arguing with a Scotsman over a penny

I resemble that comment.

Got an awakening to the difference in attitudes to sponsorship between USA and AUS at the NYYC Invitational Cup a few years ago. We fully self funded our low budget team with no support from club members. Meanwhile one of the US club teams with a budget about 3 times ours were bitching that if they couldn't get another club member to cough up, they might have to actually put their hands in their pockets for a few hundred $ each.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

USA does a really good job with their content. Ethisvery one of the teams should have series like 

Maybe their prospects don't spend time on YouTube and/or showing their "investment  opportunity" getting damaged or losing is not thought to be a draw. 

12 hours ago, Rawhide said:

I resemble that comment.

Got an awakening to the difference in attitudes to sponsorship between USA and AUS at the NYYC Invitational Cup a few years ago. We fully self funded our low budget team with no support from club members. Meanwhile one of the US club teams with a budget about 3 times ours were bitching that if they couldn't get another club member to cough up, they might have to actually put their hands in their pockets for a few hundred $ each.  

Clubs got cash, but consider that the US sponsorship market for sailing (like the aussie one) is the third world compared to the European sponsorship market.  Completely immature and tiny.

2 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Clubs got cash, but consider that the US sponsorship market for sailing (like the aussie one) is the third world compared to the European sponsorship market.  Completely immature and tiny.

Any thoughts on why that is? 

See link in #6344 on the AC thread for info on Boat 7 testing in NZ starting Dec 3rd thru Jan. 20th. Go spy to see if you can figure out who gets the boat.

Oh here in case any genuine readers can't find it 

https://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/CU1911/S00295/sailgp-set-to-return-to-new-zealand.htm

New boat. New lighter modular wing also being tested. Testing by Tech Team but will be handed over to Team 7. So go see who is hanging about and might be on Team 7. 

I will say this - if you've even remotely followed what's been going with AC36 and the #clownshow it has become - you'll really gain a new appreciation for SailGP. As AC36 continues to fall apart with fewer teams, fewer events, the S+SBS, and now litigious threats from ENTZ, etc. - SailGP just keeps gaining very positive momentum and growth as we near Season 2 in Sydney.

One thing is clear - Larry and Russ absolutely made the right decision to blow off the AC and take global sailing in a new direction. To be overshadowing and outshining a 170-year old race in your 1st year of existence is damn impressive. And it's just getting started.

If it hasn't already, the America's Cup is in danger of becoming the Kentucky Derby of racing - where's it's all about how stupid you can dress and how drunk you can get on mint juleps while a horse race you couldn't care less about happens somewhere nearby.

549149746_360x203.jpg

Lord have mercy.

1 hour ago, smackdaddy said:

One thing is clear - Larry and Russ absolutely made the right decision to blow off the AC and take global sailing in a new direction. 

Brilliant. It was sheer GENIUS to decide to "lose" the Cup in Bermuda to be freed of the rusty shackles of tradition. Gawd, having to defend a third time?  Bo-ring. Shows their bold genius to pretend that 17 wasn't fast enough. #losetowin #winningbylosing

1 hour ago, smackdaddy said:

If it hasn't already, the America's Cup is in danger of becoming the Kentucky Derby of racing - where's it's all about how stupid you can dress and how drunk you can get on mint juleps while a horse race you couldn't care less about happens somewhere nearby.

549149746_360x203.jpg

Lord have mercy.

Yeah, that stupid horse race is going to be OFF prime time network TV any year now. Just have to kill a few more horses and SGP will be on instead. #noanimalsharmed

I would say losing AC35 was actually a good thing - since SailGP was borne out of it. You AC fanatics seem to think that's all there is - that's all that matters. That's simply no longer the case. You guys also seem to think that Larry Ellison is nothing but ego - as Clean has repeated and bitterly blathered here through his running mascara. If that were the case, he unquestionably would have done another round with AC.

As has already been covered extensively in many stories over the past couple of years, he and Russell had dreamed up something far better and decided to take a chance and build it from scratch. If you're going on to something bigger and better after a loss - then it's really not much of a loss, is it?

Well, ask Oracle Team USA members and principals if it was much of a loss. Ask RC if it was a loss, even if SGP turns out to be a raging success. Ask LE if he minded losing, even if it meant he could do something else with his money.  Next time you see them tell them losing was a good thing I am sure they will like that. Nobody cares about history records anyway.

I don't  know, maybe you do, if being a challenger again going through a challenger selection series with its attendant risks, would have suited them. Or if breaking new ground seemed more appealing. 

You know the history. It was many things wrapped up in considering what was next. But yes, breaking new ground with a vision that had been built through lots of hard work was MUCH more appealing than doing AC36.

Finally, as is clear, SailGP is already making "history records" of its own. You need to understand that AC is no longer the top of the heap. So all-in-all, far more sweet than bitter.

So just to be clear, are you saying thay you think Oracle losing was a good thing more sweet than bitter because it speeded up change, or that the Oracle team as a whole think that, or that RC and LE think that? 

Whether or not an event is "top of the heap" does not mean there is no pain in losing. People who competed must have thought it mattered just a bit, I'd think. Might even rue losing even as they move forward.

But glad you have found a passion in SGP.  So leave we who also like the AC to our polyamory. No need to besmirch the Cup. Let SGP stand on its own.

Clearly no one goes in wanting to lose and they nearly won but they did lose and he was canny enough to know that left a lot of disenfranchised people out of the next AC cycle. This SGP cat racing has everything I want to be entertained and that is why I am a fan. Moving forward I prefer the multi boat racing of SGP to the old fashion match racing of the AC anyway, the AC mono skippers have a long history of after the race trying to prove in the protest room how they were scared into tacking away while on starboard, I can already envisage how far away they will be scared into tacking with these new AC boats. I will watch the first AC and hopefully  enjoy it but if they start getting scared a long way away in historical mono fashion with the resultant protests it will further degrade the AC brand and won’t be worth watching

Looks like Ben is officially at the wheel for GBR for S2...

TELEMMGLPICT000211973602_trans_NvBQzQNjv

“I think our arrival helps show there is a commercially sustainable model out there for SailGP,” Ainslie said. “I believe there is another new entry due to be announced any minute. It’s exciting.”

58 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

Looks like Ben is officially at the wheel for GBR for S2...

TELEMMGLPICT000211973602_trans_NvBQzQNjv

Sounds like a good plan, for AC teams that have the budget to spare. Nothing beats real racing in a competitive fleet, with a somewhat comparable boat. Essentially racing/training against Tom and Nate. 

SailGP the pathway to AC? :-) 

I stand in favor of having both a strong SailGP and AC. More fun sailing for us to savor. 

• Like 2

I agree Martin. I think the most salient point of the article is the attraction to continual racing at the very top-end via SailGP. I think it will continue to draw the best talent in the world. I've not yet seen any of the top talent leaving these teams (apart from injury). If this crop of sailors continues - and we continue to see talent of Ben's caliber coming in too - I really think the sky is the limit here.

Sam Bird from FormulaE takes a spin with GBR. And that's exciting and everything - but I just want to know what kind of sandwich that is...

Screen-Shot-2019-11-25-at-9.18.14-PM.png

They have a presser video on YouTube 

Draper won't sail Season 2.

More data analysis and explanation in studio to encourage viewers and enrich experience.

Ainslie is very personable; never really saw him talk at length before.

And props to RC for keeping a pleasant expression when the presenter described Ainslie as "the greatest sailor of all time." Not saying he is or isn't but RC was pretty good, too!

• Like 1

^Seeing Ainslie talk at length, he does have more "star power." TS comes across as very likeable but Ainslie is more magnetic. 

Another story from my news feed. 

`https://www.seattletimes.com/business/sailing-star-ainslie-adds-sailgp-to-his-americas-cup-chase/?utm_source=RSS&amp;utm_medium=Referral&amp;utm_campaign=RSS_all

Apparently RC was surprised to get a call from Ainslie. Ainslie very complimentary about the complementary SGP. Option to extend 3 more years.  

Yeah - this is really the ultimate test for SailGP. If it can continue to attract top-tier talent like this (which it really had already done with most of these existing teams) - as well as the sponsorship of entities like INEOS, that's really all that needs to be said.

Crowds/viewers will invariably continue to grow as the talent continues to come in...and bigger and bigger sponsors like INEOS will continue to see it as the "premier" sailing event/league it is.

All good.

Yeah - this is really the ultimate test for SailGP.

What is?

Crowds/viewers will invariably continue to grow as the talent continues to come in

I think you mean 'inevitably' and i think you are correct if that is what you mean.  

As long as Larry keeps paying for high-end production and keeps spending what he is spending on the distribution effort, the series will continue to attract more eyeballs and possibly even some paying sponsors.

#1: Talent. As I said.

#2: I meant exactly what I wrote. I don't think there is any doubt about it.

#3: smh

20 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

As long as Larry keeps paying for high-end production and keeps spending what he is spending on the distribution effort, the series will continue to attract more eyeballs and possibly even some paying sponsors.

Fortunately, Larry plans never to die. Death makes him angry.  But the real funding risk for the future of SGzp is his losing interest and funding a Cybertruck racing league on on Mars. Elon has promised he can drive the Oracle truck. (Semiparody font)

I think Draper's comments in the video above about what it's like to race these boats is really all you need to know.

22:12: In SF "we were crossing the finish line and literally turning to each other and saying 'That is the best sailing I've ever been a part of in my life...just absolutely incredible racing" - "even me as just a wing trimmer..it's mentally exhausting, but just insane fun to be a part of..." -

"That's why the likes of Ben want to come do this racing - because it really is the best sailboat racing out there by so far..."

This is why SailGP will continue to grow very, very quickly as I said above. Take it from the sailors.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

The likelyhood likelihood that most if not the entire Fleet fleet will have Commercial Sponsors commercial sponsors by the end of 2020 is very high about 11%

Fixed it for you; see my edits, and perhaps maybe try to learn some of what I am trying to teach you about writing in english.  Even if you are german or dutch or something, you still don't want to look like an illiterate fool or a 10 year old.  Actually my ten year old niece would be mortified if someone saw her miscapitalize a word the way you do with every post.

11 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

I think Draper's comments in the video above about what it's like to race these boats is really all you need to know.

it's definitely all you need to know, but then again you are the spamdaddy.

This is why SailGP will continue to grow very, very quickly as I said above. Take it from the sailors.

Pro sailors are definitely the place I go first when I'm looking for market research and future impact forecasts.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

it's definitely all you need to know, but then again you are the spamdaddy.

Pro sailors are definitely the place I go first when I'm looking for market research and future impact forecasts.  

Okay - since you can't seem to get the message and keep trolling me like a schoolgirl, I'll straight up tell you what I think your fundamental problem is Clean...

You think you know what's best for the world of sailing. You're convinced of it. It's a real savior complex with you. But your track record over the years proves otherwise. You never have really had any true insight. You've never really been a thoughtleader for the sport. You have/have had all kinds of "connections" in the upper tiers, yes - but even that obviously hasn't done you much good. I'll grant you've done a couple of very good interviews over the years - but that's mostly due to the questions of the sailors on this forum, not your own thinking or work.

So, I don't really care where you go for your market research and future impact forecasts. When you reach the wrong conclusions most of the time - it doesn't really matter does it? All you were, and still are, is a critic. And a poor one at that. At least a good critic is independent. You never have been. You're a coat-tailer who always wanted "in"...a seventh-degree black belt in name-dropping. Yet you have this hypocritical and small-minded hatred for some of the more successful leaders in the sport, leveraging some "Anarchist" bent to try to justify this malice as leading us all (even the leaders of the sport) toward some righteous view of "what the sport really needs". According to whom? You? Please.

All this has conflicted you to the point that you could never really see the bigger picture. For example, always incessantly crying about inadequate media budgets - when that was never really your problem - nor even the problem with the growth of whatever events you were covering. So when you now start CleanSplainingTM what SailGP needs to do to continue to be successful (back to media budgets - really?) - you simply show how disconnected you are from what matters in this sport. And you appear to start coat-tailing again...which is hilarious.

So, my advice? Take it back to PA and quit trolling. Stick with contracts. And make sure to be looking in the mirror when you lay out all the reasons you hate Larry Ellison.

I won't be responding to anymore of your posts, Clean. So run along.

3 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

I don't care a crap what you say about my English. Just stop the continuous ranting about Larry please. What has Larry done to you? Did he take your wife or your girlfriend? Safe your Ellison crappola for somewhere else!

what continuous ranting about Larry?  Do you know what 'continuous' means?  or what 'ranting' means?

1 hour ago, NeedAClew said:

^Do you work for or contract to Oracle? You seem very loyal. 

sounds like that chick that wrote the book about him but for the random capitalization

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

A true Slingsby welcome for Sir Ben...

Has Ben ever beaten Tom at anything?

And a BtS doc about the final match race. The USA and AUS teams have done a particularly good job with their social media work...

Screen-Shot-2019-11-27-at-11.38.56-AM.pn

33 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

And a BtS doc about the final match race. The USA and AUS teams have done a particularly good job with their social media work...

Do you think Slingers is worried about Ainslie?

Deep fried in a toaster. Strong words 

There are reasons to have grave reservations about LE and Oracle's actions  that have nothing to do with sailing. Just Google; "lawsuit" and "litigation" and "protest" and "SEC" and "pay" and "discrimination" are useful search terms to start. 

58 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Deep fried in a toaster. Strong words 

There are reasons to have grave reservations about LE and Oracle's actions  that have nothing to do with sailing. Just Google; "lawsuit" and "litigation" and "protest" and "SEC" and "pay" and "discrimination" are useful search terms to start. 

Here's the deal - what we're talking about here is sailing. There are very few billionaires who became such through business that are Mother Theresa. So if that's your standard for whether you're going to crap all over something good for the sport that they are involved in, I just don't buy it. Hell, Clean can pop up in Google via several of the terms you just listed if you dig down deep enough.

So, like you say, these actions have nothing to do with sailing - but with business..where everyone is out for the buck (even the Firemen). You don't have to like the guy by any means - but you certainly better be even-handed with your hatred if you're going to be all self-righteous about it in public.

Here's the truth...every single top-tier "Pro Sailor CEO" will have to turn their eyes away from something they don't like in their benefactors to get the money they want to carry out their sailing desires. Again, it's business.

9 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

Here's the deal - what we're talking about here is sailing.

I thought what we were talking about is marketing

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

but with business..where everyone is out for the buck

maybe try to get one of those newfangled passport things and go see the world.

• Like 1

Character affects the sport, too. 

But oh, this is sailing. Sailing doesn't give a fuck who pays for it. It's all good, right?  Money for sport has no character.  And benefactors' business practices never leach into sailing, right? 

Good to know.  To be evenhanded, who do you want me to criticize?

8 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Character affects the sport product, too. 

But oh, this is sailing marketing. Sailing The product doesn't give a fuck who pays for it. It's all good, right?  Money for sport an event has no character.  And benefactors' business practices never leach into sailing the product, right? 

FIFY - only minor modifications.

• Like 1

And just wanted to point out that having reservations about someone/thing or criticizing actions isn't "hate."

It may be a convenient device to construe anything negative as "hate" but a universe where everything is either totally uncritical "love" (?) or "hate," wow. 

There is a spectrum of regard.

Happy Thanksgiving.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Character affects the sport, too. 

But oh, this is sailing. Sailing doesn't give a fuck who pays for it. It's all good, right?  Money for sport has no character.  And benefactors' business practices never leach into sailing, right? 

Shut up and play. 

No one paid for your opinion.  

We're talking sailing, not sports. 

Make me a sammich.

12 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Shut up and play. 

No one paid for your opinion.  

We're talking sailing, not sports. 

Make me a sammich.

Take a pill.

You will pay, believe me.

Right, honey.

Buy me something.

27 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Take a pill.

You will pay, believe me.

Right, honey.

Buy me something.

baby it's cold outside

1 hour ago, MR.CLEAN said:

baby it's cold outside

Well maybe just half a drink more...

6 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

A true Slingsby welcome for Sir Ben...

77344087_1009281152762593_54720573160208

Just how exactly could Ben make sure of that?

I thought it's wingtrimmers and foilpilots job to make sure that doesn't happen. Ben is only helming the boat, and can't capsize the boat no matter how hard he tries to if the ones I previously mentioned just keep doing their job. SailGP is not the same boat as AC50 was.

33 minutes ago, NotSoFast said:

I thought it's wingtrimmers and foilpilots job to make sure that doesn't happen. Ben is only helming the boat, and can't capsize the boat no matter how hard he tries to if the ones I previously mentioned just keep doing their job. SailGP is not the same boat as AC50 was.

You've got a point. And, as you say, the F50 is definitely a more refined, aggressive animal that the AC50. So it should be interesting.

They are also sailing in more extreme conditions. 

Do you think the SGP GB wing trimmer should have handled the 30+ gust in NYC? Could he have? I dunno. Do you?

SGP USA says wave conditions made them pop a rudder in Cowes. Could flight controller have prevented that? I dunno. Do you?

https://sailgp.com/news/usa-anatomy-of-the-cowes-capsize/

Jeez lighten up there cupcake.

I took him to mean it's the team that keeps the boat upright - not just the skipper. And he's correct.

1 hour ago, NotSoFast said:

I thought it's wingtrimmers and foilpilots job to make sure that doesn't happen. Ben is only helming the boat, and can't capsize the boat no matter how hard he tries to if the ones I previously mentioned just keep doing their job. SailGP is not the same boat as AC50 was

I took the sentences at face value.

It also may be the case that some shit is an unrecoverable bad surprise.  AC iirc races are set to minimize smashy bad wind and wave surprises.  SGP events go in more extreme conditions imho.

Cupcake? That's the nicest thing you've called me.  Happy Thansgiving, SnackDaddy :)

11 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

I took the sentences at face value.

It also may be the case that some shit is an unrecoverable bad surprise.  AC iirc races are set to minimize smashy bad wind and wave surprises.  SGP events go in more extreme conditions imho.

Cupcake? That's the nicest thing you've called me.  Happy Thansgiving, SnackDaddy :)

Have I called you worse?

Actually after thinking about it - the driver CAN put the boat over on her own if she does something stupid like an unforeseen, radical bear away move in big wind...catching everyone by surprise. So, yeah, Ben could get eaten by sharks after all.

Anyway, you too Clew. Seriously. Have a restful holiday. Being Thanksgiving, I'm going to contemplate on how thankful I am that I'm not a KiWhingerTM. Poor bastards.

It's always fun going toe-to-toe with you around here. Cheers.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

They are also sailing in more extreme conditions. 

Do you think the SGP GB wing trimmer should have handled the 30+ gust in NYC? Could he have? I dunno. Do you?

SGP USA says wave conditions made them pop a rudder in Cowes. Could flight controller have prevented that? I dunno. Do you?

https://sailgp.com/news/usa-anatomy-of-the-cowes-capsize/

In the coming season they have a 3 wing options, which the racing committee chooses from for each race. If they do their job, they'll all have a smaller wing then 30+ knot gust hits. In that case all wing trimmers should be able to handle it, but that has nothing to do with helmsman.

If wave conditions mandate flying so high, in order to avoid slamming the hull, that the rudder pop out due to that, there is nothing any helmsman can do about that. Either the flight controller can prevent that or they can't. It has nothing to do with a helmsman, and I have no idea why you interpret that as if I had said I would do their job better than they have done.

If the people in charge of the development plan decide that is an important issue to be solved, they can have a deeper heavier rudder in addition of a smaller wing size for all the boats. There is nothing I or any team member can do about that, and neither should I.

10 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

... the driver CAN put the boat over on her own if she does something stupid like an unforeseen, radical bear away move in big wind...catching everyone by surprise. ...

If everyone else is caught by surprise, it is not the fault of the helmsman. It's the fault of those crew members who were caught by surprise due to not paying attention. It's the target here (in fully separating the tasks of crew members) that the helmsman should be able to only concentrate of driving the boat tactically as required in the situation (depending what other boats are doing, as well as any differences in weather in the course area), and not to worry if others can handle there job.

The helmsman should be able to do all the manoeuvring he/she wants without causing handling mishaps.

3 hours ago, NotSoFast said:

If everyone else is caught by surprise, it is not the fault of the helmsman. It's the fault of those crew members who were caught by surprise due to not paying attention. It's the target here (in fully separating the tasks of crew members) that the helmsman should be able to only concentrate of driving the boat tactically as required in the situation (depending what other boats are doing, as well as any differences in weather in the course area), and not to worry if others can handle there job.

The helmsman should be able to do all the manoeuvring he/she wants without causing handling mishaps.

Principally you're right, of course. But when you watch these races you understand how critical tight communication is. So my hypothetical is if you have a helmsman that makes a big move without communicating that it's coming, things could definitely go south - and it would be the helmsman's fault.

I offered Kirby $20 to sing out "helms-a-lee!" in a race last season - just once. I still have my $20.