smackdaddy

SailGP 2020

So, how many of the original China and Japan teams will be back? Ideas as to who the new on-boat person will be (assuming 60 percent means on boat not just on team, or does it?)

6 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

So, how many of the original China and Japan teams will be back? Ideas as to who the new on-boat person will be (assuming 60 percent means on boat not just on team, or does it?)

A lot of Teams, not just China & Japan, will be reshuffled Clew because of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.

For example, Aussie Jason Waterhouse was the Fight Controller for the Australian SailGP Team BUT he has also apparently qualified together with Lisa Darmanin in the Nacra17 Class for the Olympics.

Well, and the GB team except for the one grinder who got picked up are going to be the Ineos AC team. 

3 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

The Olympics are just woefully behind the times...

It's really embarrassing...

It needs to change.

EMERGENCY! Holy shit! Olympians!  National Governing Bodies!  Someone call up the IOC! Florida Man Who Cruises Once A Year is Embarrassed For You!  

• Like 1

That's just the personality you've been carrying around like a turd for years. Most people have friends to tell them when they stink of shit but don't know it.

Most people.

• Like 2

Why do you come in this thread Clean, we know you are anti cat, you bring some ok stuff but then you clutter it. The sailing federations around the world are like you mostly anti cat, with the help of NZ they actually kicked the fastest boat out of the Olympics being the Tornado cat, despite it being the most popular for the paying people. The Olympic committee made it mandatory that a cat class is included for that reason and that is still the only reason it gets in, really the only boats worth watching for the masses on TV in the Olympics coming up are the Nacra 17 and the 49er the other boats just don’t present well on TV. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, madboutcats said:

Yep but don’t let me distract you

I may be a bit confused how the commentator for the catamaran WMRT, the commentator and marketing guy and production guy for the GC32, the commentator for the EXSS, and the guy who sails on a 60' multihull is 'anti-cat', but don't let me distract you. 

What I am is anti-douchebag and anti-bullshit, and SailGP has quite a lot of that incorporated into it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

You read it here folks.

more valuable content from the king

I would be interested to see some of your GC32 work. Is this your stuff?

If so, you've come a long way.

6 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

I would be interested to see some of your GC32 work.

i'm sure you would.

3 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

I may be a bit confused how the commentator for the catamaran WMRT, the commentator and marketing guy and production guy for the GC32, the commentator for the EXSS, and the guy who sails on a 60' multihull is 'anti-cat', but don't let me distract you. 

What I am is anti-douchebag and anti-bullshit, and SailGP has quite a lot of that incorporated into it.

I reckon it would be flippin hard to keep momentum in a thread like this when there is a long break between competition, having said that your not the only one that has been asking for smack to stop posting so the rest of us can go and spend hours to dig up this stuff ourselves. Maybe if you don’t like what’s in this thread instead of moaning here you could start a rival thread and show us all your cat loving talent

30 minutes ago, madboutcats said:

instead of moaning here you could start a rival thread and show us all your cat loving talent

no thanks, but continue your moaning.

Anyway, red boat 7 splashed in NZ yesterday. This is the presumed Team Denmark boat but who knows till they put the logos on, lol.

@BLAK posted a picture off RC facebook yesterday in the AC Circus forum. More on fb where you see the 4 segment wing. 

78994658_2760514097302598_6892918414063435776_n.jpg

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, madboutcats said:

I reckon it would be flippin hard to keep momentum in a thread like this when there is a long break between competition, having said that your not the only one that has been asking for smack to stop posting so the rest of us can go and spend hours to dig up this stuff ourselves. Maybe if you don’t like what’s in this thread instead of moaning here you could start a rival thread and show us all your cat loving talent

Yeah, mad, I wouldn't exactly call a small media gig covering some boats along the dock in the WMRT series a few years ago as proof that someone is "pro-cat". And since ESS is dead and gone, I took a look at the GC32 website/media/etc. and don't see anything recognizing him as "the commentator and marketing guy and production guy". Maybe that was a few years ago? Who knows?

As I showed in my previous post, there is some pretty good production and commentating going on in the GC32 video above - but it certainly doesn't appear to be coming from Clean.

So, I don't really know what he's trying to prove here - but it all seems a bit silly to me...as usual.

Clew - I posted that boat 7 info/link above a few hours ago. You can click on the image which links you to Russel's FB post with all the other photos, etc.

This is a great example of why I think the SailGP model is exactly what the sickly world of sailing needs. During the off-season these top-tier guys are out doing what they were born to do in events of their choosing - while honing their skills to make SailGP even better during the season.

Screen-Shot-2019-12-05-at-3.01.11-PM.png

And it also highlights what I've been saying about the outdated classes we're still lugging around and how that needs to change...

Rome Kirby
Kirby has arrived in Perth, Australia ahead of next week’s Moth World Championship where he is set to line up against 100+ of the best foiling sailors in the world, including SailGP sailors Tom Slingsby, Kyle Langford and the U.S. SailGP Team Wing Trimmer Coach Tom Johnson, among others. 

Kirby, who considers the cutting-edge Moth Class to be one of the best training tools for SailGP’s supercharged F50, will look to use the intense competition and ideal foiling conditions to further push his skill level as he prepares for SailGP Season 2. The World Championships begin December 9th (Australia) through the 18th. 

Bringing the Waszp into the Inspire program is brilliant.

SailGP is on the leading in virtually every area. A well-deserved well-done for LaRuss.

Also ... the Nacra 17 and 49er Worlds being held right now in Auckland NZ have Dylan, Nathan, Besson/Riou, Jason Waterhouse on the Nacra 17 side, and Peter Burling and Tuke on 49er. 

Quick maneuvering apparent wind boats is where it's at. 

• Like 1

Just a little heads-up to keep your eye open for possible events in both CHN and JPN for S3. Sounding more and more likely...

From JamesW's FB page (CHN) - Boat 7 is out testing new wing and jib in what appears to be the high-wind set-up...

Screen-Shot-2019-12-09-at-10.11.50-AM.pn

It's official...

_63I8672.jpg?fm=webp&w=1920

And a few interesting tidbits:

• Multi-time around-the-world sailor Nicolai Sehested at the helm and Olympic silver medalist Jonas Høgh-Christensen as team manager
  • ROCKWOOL will be the team's main partner (3 year commitment, with 3 additional as option)
  • The seventh supercharged F50 catamaran – World Sailing’s 2019 Boat of the Year – was launched last week in New Zealand with a test team from around the league.
  • Once the new F50 is commissioned, Sehested will take the reins for a two-week training period in January – during which the remainder of the team will be determined.
  • Said Sehested, “It’s the best sailors in the fastest boats, all racing close to shore – it’s incredibly intense racing and a true spectacle to watch."

Good stuff.

I seemed to have caused a lot of hand-wringing and tears when I mentioned that Finns needed to be finally and fully retired to make way for more modern sailing (e.g. - foiling). And it looks like that might finally happen for Paris 2024. Hooray.

I also fondly remember going round and round with Curious in my other thread about how foiling is a very different animal from traditional dinghy sailing (he religiously - and ridiculously said that it's not).

Now, of course, you have the leading Finn sailor of all time (some say say the best sailor of all time) backing me up on both accounts:

Ainslie admits that sailing an F50 with four others is “almost like a different sport” to the Finns he is used to, but the potential of SailGP was simply too good an opportunity to turn down.

...and...

"Ultimately World Sailing and Olympic sailing have got some tough decisions to make", he said at the conclusion of an interview on INEOS Team UK's America's Cup campaign.

"There are probably too many competitors for the profile of the sport, along with the cost of running those competitors," he said.

"In reality, you have to reduce the numbers. That's looking at it from the perspective of an outsider, but with experience of being to the Olympics for Sailing."

"There has to be a reduction in the number of classes and a focus on really top quality classes that offer the most challenge for the sailors."

Taking these things together - I think it's easy to see where this is all headed.

The new wing showing how it can lay off with four movements now

Russell Coutts

SailGP wing 2.0 at full twist! This wing has 4 flaps rather than 3 and much more control at each control point. Manipulating the shape of the wing (camber and twist) throughout a tack or gybe or in gusty conditions should create incredible efficiencies. 
Well done to the designers and builders!

A7D2B410-FE17-472E-8399-B049DA60D728.jpeg

• Like 2

Great video of RomeK explaining why the Moth is the next serious platform for up-and-comers...

Screen-Shot-2019-12-13-at-6.21.17-PM.png

...also a super cool high-speed crossing shot (frame above).

Sailing GP Team

We've got fresh recon of the new 18-meter wing. This smaller configuration will be used in heavy winds above 20 knots, How fast do you think it'll allow us to rip?

A35F2507-AF41-44BD-B35D-EB27C6879648.jpeg

• Like 1

that 18 m wing looks tiny! Would have been awesome at Cowes. 

I'm a bit worried about the larger wings. In theory it should open up more venues, but the truth is below 5 knots typically the breeze also becomes really unstable, and it's that which hampers the racing more than raw power. 

Also, quite a lot of negative camber in the top of the new wing in the shed. Would they ever use that much inversion, or do you reckon the photo is just to show the maximum twist which can only be realised when the top half is inverted? 

8 minutes ago, Mozzy Sails said:

Also, quite a lot of negative camber in the top of the new wing in the shed. Would they ever use that much inversion, or do you reckon the photo is just to show the maximum twist which can only be realised when the top half is inverted? 

I think they were demonstrating in photo. But who knows what they will try to sail in with that wing...

Do you think they will need to add anticavitation tech to foils to get appreciably faster in long run? 

17 minutes ago, Mozzy Sails said:

I'm a bit worried about the larger wings. In theory it should open up more venues, but the truth is below 5 knots typically the breeze also becomes really unstable, and it's that which hampers the racing more than raw power. 

That's very true close to the ground/water. As you reach higher, I think it's there, but less pronounced. Anyway, we'll find out...

4 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

This is brilliant...

The partnership creates the opportunity to increase participation outside of SailGP’s championship calendar – featuring the world’s fastest sail racing – to take the Inspire program to new locations and broaden its reach.

The World Sailing Trust will support SailGP Inspire to raise funds for its outreach program as part of the Trust’s Youth Pathways work, which helps young people gain access to sailing and develop their skills. Together, the World Sailing Trust and SailGP Inspire will work with local partners to identify areas of opportunity, tailoring outreach work to local communities.

With the support of the World Sailing Trust, SailGP’s legacy offering at each host venue will be developed and enhanced, with SailGP Inspire supporting core community programs across the world.

Exactly what is need for the future of the sport.

Permission to send money? Lol

Trade? Big O has been closing its China facilities. 

Venue a requisite and politics and money got in way?

Very odd. Big viewership. 

5 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Permission to send money? Lol

Trade? Big O has been closing its China facilities. 

Venue a requisite and politics and money got in way?

Very odd. Big viewership. 

Visa/leave permit restrictions for Chinese citizens... 

4 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

Visa/leave permit restrictions for Chinese citizens... 

Wow. Bummer. Wonder if that would not be as much a problem for YAC with Chinese company sponsoring it, as opposed to wherever Larry's F50 League LLC for SGP is now registered.

Just now, NeedAClew said:

Wow. Bummer. Wonder if that would not be as much a problem for YAC with Chinese company sponsoring it, as opposed to wherever Larry's F50 League LLC for SGP is now registered.

It's just a guess and as valid as all other possible reasons posters brought up here.

Heh. Yeah, I wouldn't close that door completely yet. There's certainly a lot of political and economic turmoil swirling around that part of the world right now. Additionally, I think of all the teams - CHN needs more development time to get to a truly national team - which will, in turn, improve their chances on all fronts from a business perpsective. So that's likely another big factor. This video is just from a week or so ago...

Screen-Shot-2019-12-17-at-10.28.32-AM.pn

So, they are working on it.

I'll be interested to see who is sponsoring the ESP team - and who makes up that team. Pretty cool developments

Just now, Rennmaus said:

It's just a guess and as valid as all other possible reasons posters brought up here.

Probably all the above plus.

14 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

Heh. Yeah, I wouldn't close that door completely yet. There's certainly a lot of political and economic turmoil swirling around that part of the world right now. Additionally, I think of all the teams - CHN needs more development time to get to a truly national team - which will, in turn, improve their chances on all fronts from a business perpsective. So that's likely another big factor. This video is just from a week or so ago...

I'll be interested to see who is sponsoring the ESP team - and who makes up that team. Pretty cool developments

Well not pretty cool for anyone expecting to be on the China Team or work for that team who does not get repurposed.

The data analysts and such may just be move to another team but still...

So much for RC, PRC, and "The Future of Chinese Sailing" for now.

20191217_114127.jpg

Again, you say that like that future is over. I don't think that's the case. They just need more time to build their business and team to meet the rules. They'll get there eventually, if geopolitics allow.

At least SailGP opened that door. That's a good thing.

39 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

I'll be interested to see who is sponsoring the ESP team 

not as interested as Coutts is

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

Again, you say that like that future is over.  ...

I definitely  do not think the future of Chinese sailing is over!  

But in their relentless hyperbole, SailGP implied they were the future of Chinese sailing. Or at least reasonable readers might infer that, no?

That is on hiatus, no? 

At least SailGP opened that door. That's a good thing.

I think Chinese sailing per se fortunately did not depend on whatever short lived SGP door that was.  It was good exposure and experience for the Chinese SGP sailors while it lasted. Let's see what they do in Ocean Race and YAC! 

I think mixed, rather than 100 percent good. Getting the plug pulled, rug pulled out from under, whatever it looks like to outsiders is not helpful. Getting a door opened then slammed shut just as the team was becoming more national, experience building...uh. 

Hype works until the product is pulled. China got pulled by something. Then hype leads to mistrust.

• Like 1

Again, I think those descriptors are a bit on the hysterical side. I see this more as a business/political/platform move than some indictment on SailGP itself. For example, from that NYT article...

China has been raising its profile in global sailing and last week America's Cup holders Emirates Team New Zealand announced a revamped Youth America's Cup, with the backing of China Sports Industry Group (CSIG), in foiling monohulls.

Then add that on to this announcement we've seen elsewhere...

The Youth America’s Cup is a joint initiative between The Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron (RNZYS), the China Sports Industry Group (CSIG), and Emirates Team New Zealand (ETNZ). The multi-leg event will begin with a fleet racing seeding event in China in November 2020 and then a match racing event in Auckland from February 18th- 23rd 2021 with the finals held between March 8th- 12th 2021 right outside the RNZYS in the shadow of Auckland’s iconic Harbour Bridge.

Notwithstanding the histrionics I'm sure are going on with the KiWhingersTM - what I see here is a decision on the choice of platform that fits into CHN's current path of developing/sponsoring sailors. And, though I think it's a questionable path in terms of long-term viability (will there be another OR after this iteration?, etc.) - it's a decision I can understand based on where they are now as a sailing nation on the world stage. Commit to one thing and get better at it...

“We are very excited to introduce the Youth America’s Cup into China. ” Wang Weidong, Chairman of China Sports Industry Group said. “The America’s Cup has been the holy grail of the sport of sailing for over 160 years, and is a stage that all athletes dream of. China is set to participate in the America’s Cup, but has to recognize the patient process of achievement. From an overall perspective, it is vital we pay more attention to fostering the next generation of top-level racers, developing them from the more basic level. China has a plethora of athletes with the potential along with the required diligence and learning skills, but lacking experience at global professional competitions. We hope that Youth America’s Cup will be the first step for these young Chinese talents

to take as they strive to catch up with their leading peers in the world.

“Cross-sector collaborations are vital to develop the advanced design and manufacturing technology that are behind the monohull foiling yacht used in the Youth America’s Cup. In the meantime, the manoeuvrers and performance of athletes require enormous data support. Its value chain includes not only the management of the race, team or club, but also naval architects and marine engineers, and other behind-the-scenes offices of law, media, meteorology, internet so the vibrant growth of an industry should be all-encompassing, as one department would thrive with another. We hope the Youth America’s Cup becomes a unique opportunity to encourage more Chinese to try and practice in this sport and inspire them to initiate the evolution of the Chinese sailing industry.”

So, their current interest is obviously much more on broader industry benefits than it is in being part of a sailing sports league right now. And I get that.

But in turn, it also greatly benefits ETNZ to have some global support for its vision - even from a country that's not participating in the AC - so ETNZ would bend over backwards to make it worth CHN's while. If it comes to paying to be just another sub-par team (SGP) or being paid and offered immediate global exposure as a premier "partner" (AC) - which do you choose if you're CHN?

But, it's also a huge gamble. ETNZ has to win the cup. AC75 boats have to remain the new AC class. The AC9F itself has to gain wide adoption. And there have to be well-supported intermediate events during off-years. Otherwise, there will be no development.

Again, I can see the longer-term logic here. CHN wins either way. But, as I said, I also don't think it negates CHN's SailGP participation in the next season or two by any means. It's simply an annual, global sailing league that can train foiling sailors. It will still be there after the AC36 spray settles. CHN's not stupid. When they get better at foiling - they'll want to show that off.

It's a business move, sure.  And employees get laid off or relocated by businesses all the time. 

But is there is the faint possibility that fans of China SailGP, persuaded a fast foiling league was the way to go, might be a bit let down?  And the people directly involved as employees or cheerleaders might be a bit let down, too?  It was just a few weeks ago the new season was being heralded by SGP for its China Team. 

But that's emotion.  Not appropriate here, right?  Labeled as "HYSTERIA" to show regret that a development team that came in 3rd in the league won't sail Season 2.  Figures.  #SAD

Are you not going to miss Phil and the guys even a bit?  I thought fan engagement was key to the plan?  But when an engaged person expresses regret, it's hysteria.  OK. fine.  #SAD

Maybe you (and the others) need to take it up with China. It's their decision.

All the SGP teams have the same overall rule-set. So it is what it is.

So if any other team got replaced for business reasons, it is what it is? No worries for you? Just business.  Find something else to watch, someone else to be a fan of?

Won't miss 'em, right.  No weakness. That's the way of Cobra Kai.

Well I am sad about it.  And you're not. Fine. 

• Like 1

There’s a shake up in the commentary area as well with a Complete new line up for season 2 

heading for a more journalistic approach?????

3 minutes ago, tbm said:

There’s a shake up in the commentary area as well with a Complete new line up for season 2 

heading for a more journalistic approach?????

Very interesting. I'd not heard that yet. Any ideas on contenders? Maybe Ken Read?

No idea who they are using or what direction they are going 

all I know is the current lineup has been told they will not be required next year 

• Like 1

all I know is the current lineup has been told they will not be required next year 

9 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

One of the sailors who is already a successful dinghy racer has a father that owns the most successful bank in Spain which happens to be the sponsor which is awesome news

• Like 1

I figured ESP would be coming in at some point. This move by CHN just sped up that timeline.

I think ITA is also mulling it for S3. We'll see.

19 hours ago, tbm said:

Here's my vote: 

Gary Jobson

Tucker Thompson

Ken Read

Shirley Robertson

Russell please put all these useless fucks in the same booth so they can't pollute anything besides SGP

30 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Here's my vote: 

Gary Jobson

Tucker Thompson

Ken Read

Shirley Robertson

Russell please put all these useless fucks in the same booth so they can't pollute anything besides SGP

Still desperately looking for a gig I see. I believe you've already been given that answer...very clearly. Heh.

I would love to see Ken in the play-by-play role. I had no problem with Shirley, Jody,  or Ed - but I think the overall "voice" of the commentary needs to skew younger. Ken does a good job with that even being a bit older. It will be interesting to see who is selected and how that "voice" changes from S1.

I think SGP may have filled a sailing spokesguru influencer slot but I don't think it is any of us. They are family friendly, after all. :)

I hope whoever has the chosen voice actually can call sailing. The Sydney ones were really bad. 

49 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

Still desperately looking for a gig

I made more money Monday than SailGP pays for a full 6 day event but okay cutie

Of course you did, Clean. Of course you did. [eyeroll]

1 hour ago, NeedAClew said:

I hope whoever has the chosen voice actually can call sailing. The Sydney ones were really bad.

That's really the rub Clew. You have very different audiences making their own demands. There are those sailors in the audience that want it to be more technical - but that can hamstring growth into a more non-technical audience. It's a very difficult balance. But, you really need to err on the side of simplifying things - even if it pisses off the old-guard...who matter less and less every day anyway. This is a "television"-oriented racing product. One needs to always remember that.

The LiveLine graphics have been a major, major game-changer; completely changing viewing of the sport for the better and opening it up to non-sailing audiences. So, the question is, how do you do the same with commentary? You don't do it by making it too technical. I'm very interested to see these upcoming changes for S2.

It's funny how critical everyone is about everything SailGP. We are just getting out of the very first season! Lots more intrigue to play out in S2 I'd say - and if it's even close to what we saw with S1, it's gonna be a hell of a ride.

16 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

The LiveLine graphics have been a major, major game-changer; completely changing viewing of the sport for the better and opening it up to non-sailing audiences.

#### 

I would say that LiveLine was THE disruptive innovation in sailing spectating, whether on "TV" however video is delivered, on an app, or on an app when one is actually f2s (face to sail, in person, guess I should TM that). There: f2s[TM] can't superscript on this device. Stan Honey is a genius in more than one field and in more than one area of sports instrumentation. 

LiveLine augments the enjoyment of non sailors, very modestly skilled sailors such as moi, and on up to sailing legends such as...well even you. ;)

###########

So, the question is, how do you do the same with commentary? You don't do it by making it too technical. I'm very interested to see these upcoming changes for S2.

###########

There is "too technical" commentary and there is "not knowing if they are sailing upwind or downwind" which is what we heard in Sydney. Until we turned the sound off.  So accessible but knowledgeably accurate would be my choice. And that is HARD. It is hard to 'splain complicated things simply. That's a fact.

Source: "If you can't explain it simply, you don't  understand it well enough." -- A. EINSTEIN

• Like 1

I’m not going to post a pic of a mono in this thread even if it is on its side but I guess we can put to bed all the mono hype in the AC about not tipping over

1 hour ago, NeedAClew said:

There are plenty of great sailors out there that can commentate, even if they are not so good at the start they will get better each time if they stick with them. A current performance sailor would be my choice, not a big mono guy because they don’t understand proper apparent wind and a current elite sailor already has the audiences respect. Kinda like watching rugby league commentators, when the King is talking we listen or remember his highlights, when a person that’s never played we aren’t allowed to consider his or her looks so they have to be perfect right from the start

The Aussie GP team have all this great stuff coming out a bit earlier, I don’t want to steal your thunder maybe you could follow them on the quiet, it’s an Orange and Black boat looking quite relaxed

Steal away mad! Post whatever you'd like. I'm trying to focus more on USA and SailGP in general. So feed the AUS beast my man!

As for the mono on it's side, just saw it and I'm dying laughing. It hurts. Sometimes life is truly delicious. Heh.

Why, whatever do you mean Martin?

Screen-Shot-2019-12-19-at-11.42.40-AM.pn

A critical thing Ben says, that is contrary to the whinging I've seen around here, is that he thinks the limitation of practice time on the water is a good thing. At least he gets it.

Wow macca - now THAT is a good find! Kenneth Brannagh sailing an F50...

Screen-Shot-2019-12-19-at-11.55.02-AM.pn

Screen-Shot-2019-12-19-at-11.55.17-AM.pn

I'd say SailGP has definitely captured the imagination of the broader public!

41 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

Why, whatever do you mean Martin?

Screen-Shot-2019-12-19-at-11.42.40-AM.pn

A critical thing Ben says, that is contrary to the whinging I've seen around here, is that he thinks the limitation of practice time on the water is a good thing. At least he gets it.

He says it "evens things out."  Easier to be happy participating in an evened out "racing product" (to quote Sir Coutts) when this is prep for the  important actual competition you have to look forward to?

So was it Tenet and not a Bond movie they were reported and seen shooting in Cowes or is it both?  

On 12/20/2019 at 6:07 AM, MR.CLEAN said:

i was told a while ago that the bond thing fell through 

I saw a trailer for the new Bond movie for release in April 2020. James that is, not Alan... ^_^

47 minutes ago, Jethrow said:

I saw a trailer for the new Bond movie for release in April 2020. James that is, not Alan... ^_^

Hey, watch it mister! Remember, he "was told".

On 12/23/2019 at 7:33 PM, Jethrow said:

Did you see a catamaran in the trailer?