smackdaddy

SailGP 2020

17 minutes ago, martin 'hoff said:

That part made no sense at all. Why would Aus be so off pace?

Has training time on new/changed bits been withheld? 

I totally agree. I can only think it was the pressure. And it will be interesting to see if that pressure was generalized by being the S1 winner back in front of the home crowd, or whether is was actually knowing what BA could/would do - or both. But this was stunning.

I still hold out a lot of hope for USA. They can definitely go fast and have pretty good tactics - they just can't hold it for a full race. They'll improve. But so will everyone else. That's what's so cool about this is how closely matched everyone is...except for GBR right now.

• Downvote 1

39 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

US said they have crap Artemis wing.

Where'd you spot that? 

9 hours ago, Mozzy Sails said:

People knock Ben, but, you have to say, when it's one design, he rarely loses.

20 years on from his first Olympic gold. Not a bad return to Sydney harbour. 

Especially first regatta on the the F50's. Thought he executed great tactics and handled the boat consistently well.

17 minutes ago, martin 'hoff said:

Where'd you spot that? 

3-part interview with Rome Kirby. Linked on previous page.

Watched yesterday's racing from the shore. Right opposite the first mark. Very close to the boundary.

Great view, just as good (if not better because we had a bit of height sitting at the top of the rocks) as those on Shark Island and it didn't cost $250 each.

Plenty of people watching.

The racing was good and those things are just awesome.

On the coverage they kept going on about something odd must have happened to the USA when they went from 40 to 10 knots in an instant.  It sure did, the USA did an huge faceplant right in front of us. Must have brought back memories for them,

Will be out there again today. Free and a great spectacle.

• Like 4

Right, so this is the handicap -- some teams are on old quirky gear. Outside of the circle we know little about who's got good gear, who's got crap, so it's hard to understand wtf is going on. So we could guess that Ineos got treated nice due to the new sponsor, and has the new gear. Same with Spain. 

WRT the boundary and the collision, it really looks like Spain was close enough to the boundary to claim room. No? Both the overlay graphics and the spectator fleet are 2 boatlenghts away... 

That's what's so cool about the new Analysis Hub segment with MattC. He broke that down right after it happened here (should be teed up to 35:41)...

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, martin 'hoff said:

Right, so this is the handicap -- some teams are on old quirky gear. Outside of the circle we know little about who's got good gear, who's got crap, so it's hard to understand wtf is going on. So we could guess that Ineos got treated nice due to the new sponsor, and has the new gear. Same with Spain. 

WRT the boundary and the collision, it really looks like Spain was close enough to the boundary to claim room. No? Both the overlay graphics and the spectator fleet are 2 boatlenghts away... 

Ineos have the same gear as GBR had last year. Same foils as all teams, all have a new set this year. Same wing as last year, they will get new wings along with all the teams in SF.

1 hour ago, Potter said:

Ineos have the same gear as GBR had last year. Same foils as all teams, all have a new set this year. Same wing as last year, they will get new wings along with all the teams in SF.

Not forgetting they sailed really well -  staying cool under pressure and doing the basics well,  getting out of tricky situations, keeping on the foils and sound tactics.

• Like 1

Looks like we will have a nor-easter (sea breeze) today instead of the south-easter of yesterday.

Looks like about the same pressure as yesterday.

A bit over two hours to go. Leaving home very soon.

• Like 3

Take a pic or two from your vantage point if possible, please!

I really like the multi-screen video feed of the app - and especially that they are broadcasting the Inspire finals...

IMG_0487.png

This is exactly the way it should be. These youngsters getting to actually share the global spotlight with the best sailors in the world.

• Downvote 1

23 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

If I hear this moron say "Alpha Male" one more time, I'm going today slap Four.

Just turned on day 2 and literally the first words I hear are "alpha male". Seriously, fire this asshole.

• Like 2

Wow, Slingsby talking on the radio about Waterhouse saying he's lost the edge. That's a big deal.

• Downvote 1

GBR, ESP, AUS, USA - really tight for 2-4.

Ben is crushing everyone again. Crazy.

• Downvote 1

Romey doing a hell of a job beating the broken boat and the rookies. 

3 minutes ago, Saro Scimitar Sunshine said:

Sorry to be dumb, but I'm using the App for the first time. I have tracking and commentary, but no images. How does it work ?

Ah, great, now I can see the Waspzz.

Just now, Saro Scimitar Sunshine said:

Yeah the Inspire feed is a bit more spotty than the Global.

PhilR of ESP is really showing his talent keeping these young, new guys in the mix. Very impressive.

13 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

Commentary is a bit better today. They obviously saw my comments.

Careful or your head might explode

AUS, ESP, FRA. GBR all the way back. Dont' know if there's a problem of if they are just laying.

12 minutes ago, Saro Scimitar Sunshine said:

Me too- what is wrong with the app? Surely that isn’t what they’re showing instead of the main racing?

13 minutes ago, Terrorvision said:

Me too- what is wrong with the app? Surely that isn’t what they’re showing instead of the main racing?

Don't blame the app.

USA can't seem to string two good tacks together... Under-tacking the boat with the ride height too low?

2 minutes ago, J24TrickBag said:

USA can't seem to string two good tacks together... Under-tacking the boat with the ride height too low?

Just mistake after mistake. Penalties in the last race against DEN. Just not stringing anything together. But they are always mid-fleet...which means they're fast, just inconsistent.

A little feed back.

First time I've bothered watching this shit show live.

Happened to be staying in a Hotel with Foxtel.

Certainly not parting with money to support a Trumtard.

This is boring.

Can't see the layout of the course relative to the wind.

Hard to tell if  the leg is upwind or down.

I love watching the E22 and STAR races.

Nothing tactical to see here.

My interest has already passed.

Yawn.

For these stupid SFX, they should a least record the actual boats instead of a freakin' beach.

AUS way back on the start. Don't know what happened there. They had a penalty but had cleared in plenty of time.

45 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

Go away Clean. You're not needed.

Your team blows

• Like 1

You really have to wonder exactly what BA has brought in that DylanF didn't have. Yes, I know Ben's rep - but what exactly changed? He's giving the credit to the crew...but this turn-around is truly amazing.

He's made the point again that this is the best sailing he's ever done.

• Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

Don't blame the app.

The app that didn’t show anything until I ran through a VPN? Fuck off. 

Got it working for the final, what a boring load of shit.

Thanks smack for the blow by blow, I now have no need to watch the replay

(tip.. watch on x12 fast forward and there is no commentary)

2:58...3:09 / 1:27:55

Top speed 84.7 knots.

How does that work?

Some part of the boat far away from center of gravity really is that fast during a turn, or just a software glitch?

Yeah, it's really fun to watch all the naysayers breathlessly tuning in for every moment - then giving their play-by-play of why they hate it. Heh.

"The Whinge is strong with this one....and this one....and well, all of them."

• Downvote 1

I'll be doing a full breakdown and analysis elsewhere. Lots to dissect. And it requires a PhD.

• Downvote 1

22K views and great engagement in less than a day for the recap...

Screen-Shot-2020-02-29-at-11.32.02-AM.pn

And already 120K views of the replays on YT in 1 day...as well as about 6K views already of the Inspire racing...

Screen-Shot-2020-02-29-at-11.34.18-AM.pn

And these numbers just continue to grow.

SailGP is having a very hard time "failing". Heh.

• Downvote 1

Watched both days of SailGP on Sky on a weeks pass, looks like I could have watched for free on YouTube, bugger!

Anyway I think the commentary has improved like Stevie Morrison and Mat Cromwell analysis hub.

I Don’t think Ben Ainslie success should come as a complete surprise, he has demonstrates the need for crew to regularly train together as he would have been doing for last year in preparation for the AC at a pretty intense level. This high lights the need for regular practice for the crews in the F50 or similar, perhaps teams between regatta could pair up and conduct regular practice races say a GC32 but of course it time and money, however this is not to take away from BA and his teams obvious skill and expertise.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Barbican Sailor said:

Watched both days of SailGP on Sky on a weeks pass, looks like I could have watched for free on YouTube, bugger!

Anyway I think the commentary has improved like Stevie Morrison and Mat Cromwell analysis hub.

I Don’t think Ben Ainslie success should come as a complete surprise, he has demonstrates the need for crew to regularly train together as he would have been doing for last year in preparation for the AC at a pretty intense level. This high lights the need for regular practice for the crews in the F50 or similar, perhaps teams between regatta could pair up and conduct regular practice races say a GC32 but of course it time and money, however this is not to take away from BA and his teams obvious skill and expertise.

During practice the odds were on his team making the biggest gains out of all of them for those reasons.

31 minutes ago, martin 'hoff said:

Goobs and Parko are superb. Look at Nathan without them, vs Ben with them. 

They are - but at the same time I think you still have to look at Nathan with Leo and Ayden coming in. Excusing GBR and the first poor showing by AUS, it's still very much like it was last season with AUS and JPN being the strongest overall. The you have ESP and USA right behind them - with ESP clearly showing more strength and USA still a question mark.

So essentially, you have the 2 top teams from last season being faced with a huge performance jump brought in by GBR. Will they rise to it? And then you have 3 other teams from last season that are battling it out. And finally, DEN who is already showing promise, but clearly still figuring things out.

This is going to be a fascinating season.

• Downvote 1

The two top teams from last season were soundly whupped by a full time, coincidentally (?) AC team that could buy more sim time, buy F50 team members from a top team, and were cohesive by practice. AC team jobs are not gig jobs.  Also Ben Ainslie is damn good at finding where to go.

So the lesson is money changes everything. 

This may be a sad season for the original teams whose prospects dim.

What happens after Ainslie wins, or not, in AC75s remains to be seen. Jim can do whatever he wants, as long as hecwants.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

The two top teams from last season were soundly whupped by a full time, coincidentally (?) AC team that could buy more sim time, buy F50 team members from a top team, and were cohesive by practice. AC team jobs are not gig jobs.  Also Ben Ainslie is damn good at finding where to go.

So the lesson is money changes everything. 

This may be a sad season for the original teams whose prospects dim.

What happens after Ainslie wins, or not, in AC75s remains to be seen. Jim can do whatever he wants, as long as hecwants.

Who cares about the AC? You have an entire forum for that crap. Take it over there. This thread is about SailGP. So let's stick to the topic, shall we?

As for your conclusive "lesson" about why GBR did so well - no, not money....

Ben Ainslie and his very good, experienced crew.

It's really that simple. Have you not heard he's "the best sailor of all time"? People aren't joking when they say that...especially the SailGP sailors.

And as for a "sad season" for these other teams - are you serious??? You make it sound like these sailors are utter babies who want everything dumbed down and spoonfed to them. Don't you understand that they love competition? BA coming in and doing what he just did now pushes all of them to seriously up their game - which is exactly what they want to do as competitors! Don't they say that enough for you to actually believe them? Or do you really think they need to be protected from Big Bad Larry? Give me a freakin' break.

Your logic on this stuff is so skewed it's ridiculous (are you sure you're not a Kiwi?). I honestly don't understand why you keep following SailGP when you go on and on about hating it so much. Make up your mind.

Here's the truth: Without question, SailGP has across these teams the highest caliber of under-40 sailors on the planet. Just look at all the championships among these guys. In comparison, BA is 43...though, again, the best sailor ever. Who else out there is at the level of these sailors? Spithill? Barker?

SailGP is offering something desperately needed in the world of sailing. That's not me saying it - that's Ben Ainslie.

So try a little objectivity for once. It will do you good. I know full well Clean is a bitter little toddler - but I expect more of you.

• Downvote 1

Posted (edited)

Money lets a team train together full time. Money lets a team buy additional sim time. 

Ben and his team have had a lot of quality time together in part, lol, because the are a team for "another event" with a multiyear timeframe.

Ben is great. I have said so. Read my other posts "elsewhere."

Sad if they do not get sponsors and their boat is sold off to some Russians or Emiratis or whatever. Relish competition, sure. Get canned, not so much.

I do not hate SGP. That is a convenient tag line. If I hated SGP why would I be sad if a team eg Tom et  al can't get sponsors? If I hated SGP why would I care about the teams as people? I just favor labor over management, lol.

And dont pull that "expect more" shaming crap. You have made it clear what you think of me. 

Women are from Venus. Dunno where you hail from.

PS

The video editing for dayv1 TV blew chunks. A man of your sagacity must admit that, no?

Edited by NeedAClew
PS
  • Like 3

I guess I misunderstood...

On 2/13/2020 at 7:54 AM, NeedAClew said:

I actually don't think I can watch SailGP after this. 

Fuck em indeed. Deleted app.

As for the money - I have no idea exactly how much sim time or foiling cat work GBR has done together prior to this race. Maybe you do since you're still insinuating that's the critical factor here...and not the combo of Ben with Parkinson/Jenson. So, what are those numbers?

The problem with your very strange viewpoint is that sponsorship is precisely what fuels success in SailGP - across the board. Every single participant knows this. AND THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT!

You seem to want sailing to be a charity, or want to paint this as some kind of con being run on innocents...when "THESE PEOPLE" participating in SailGP....want to compete and win and make money. That's what professionals do! And they get canned when they can't do it...which is exactly the way it should be.

Though I seriously doubt this is the case, if the other teams are really in the mindset you're ascribing to them - they need to leave. They don't deserve to be there. This is about world-c