Blue Crab

Yanmar v. Universal

Looking at a couple choices, one with a familiar 2GM and the other with a M4-30. Thoughts on the comparison? 

I think condition of the boat and condition of the engine much more important than a question of Universal vs. Yanmar...

My experience (opinion?) with both is no comparison. The M4-30 I had was garbage. The core Kubota block was a beautiful thing. However, firstly, the conversion and accessories added by Universal were complete trash, and poorly executed. The least of the crimes, but telling, was an indiscriminate mixing of 5/16" and 8mm hardware (Those who know about this issue will knowingly chuckle here). It gets worse from there. Second, the 'factory' support is absolutely the worst. Everything backordered. And then one waits for Universal to painstakingly repackage each Kubota part under their own label.

Run away or cost in an immediate re-power.

As someone who owns a 2GM and a Universal engine (on carts, for teaching purposes), I can tell you I love the Yanmar so much more. Less electrical issues (Fuel pump in mechanical, which is a huge plus). The Universal has an electric fuel pump, which tends to break. If I had a choice, I would always buy the simpler Yanmar. (I also have a yanmar 2GM on my J/30 - love it)