Sign in to follow this  
Alan H

Shields for sale cheap at auction

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=99&acctid=12797

12797_99_4.jpg

Min bid $1K, looks like there might be more than one.   You wanna go old-skool?  I wonder if they'll include the stand.

it's located here:

656 Whipple St
MWR, Naval Station Newport
Newport, Rhode Island

The newest of these are 50 years old. At least. Over 10 years ago the various owners of these (usually schools) calculated that the aging masts would cost more to replace than the value of the boat. So, you know... just pay a grand and sail it until it falls apart.

1 hour ago, Somebody Else said:

The newest of these are 50 years old. At least. Over 10 years ago the various owners of these (usually schools) calculated that the aging masts would cost more to replace than the value of the boat. So, you know... just pay a grand and sail it until it falls apart.

You're right of course. Even a set of sails is worth significantly more than the whole boat.  If there's no mast then honestly, I'd be inclined to make a wood one.   But it's a SHIELDS, you know?

For the right kind of person, this would be a lot of fun without breaking the bank, totally.

Let’s find the hunt Lawrence 110 and 120 and race boats from that era. These are fast boats, not waterdozers.

Shields are a big deal in Monterey. Good realistic OD experience, especially if you want to race all day yet never be far from the start line. Rudder is a brake. So is going too fast which puts the boat on the seafloor. Downwind is like rewinding a cassette tape, just gets you back to the start line...with rolling.

• Like 1

You guys are cruel. Generally correct, but cruel. Waterdozers and roller downwind for sure but super sweet to windward in a light breeze and I have many fond memories of sunset cruises with a lady friend.  That and I spent some time with Corny Shields in his later years and we chatted about the design so have a soft spot for the boats. 

Want a gentleman’s daysailer?  Pretty good budget choice. 

• Like 1

Yeah, perhaps too cruel. I did write "Good realistic OD experience..." Great training for rules and close maneuvering. Bumps easy to fix, and nobody worries much, until someone sinks. Yes, buying the hull is almost free. However that is simply a license to spend as the racing is so competitive that proper maintenance and sail inventory is very noticeable. Look great as a half-model!

Beautiful boats, you could do a lot worse. Since a boom is needed, one could be adapted from another make of boat. These are pretty simple. Lovely, there is one in the harbor here &  it's not slowest thing on the bay.

15 hours ago, Kevlar Edge said:

Shields haha why bother time to let them die.

Uhh well, if you live in Newport, then you can race in the very active and competitive Shields fleet.  

• Like 2

PHRF NE shows Shields as 165, so in there with a J24 while being much prettier. 

I have a shocking piece of news for some people...I know, I know..

Going 8 knots instead of 6 is not the be-all, end-all of every type of sailing.  AND at 165, they're not THAT slow. So what if they don't plane?  There's more to life than a big assy.

My dad was retired Navy, and he joined the local navy sailing association when I was a kid. My first "big boat" experiences were in the Shields that the Naval Postgraduate School sailing group had in Monterey, California.  I"d own a Shields, for sure.  I mean, my little Piper is exactly the same sort of thing, only smaller, crane-launchable and less expensive.  You want a classy daysailer in fiberglass?  You can't do much better than a Shields.  Sure they're not the boat for everyone...but that doesn't mean they're not the boat for ANYone.

I'd love to get a ride on one in the Newport fleet.  I bet a mess of those guys are damn good at tactical racing.

• Like 1

We have a very active fleet, tonight is the last race of the season.

As for the boat in the auction, It will still will need at trailer which costs about $3500..

My only formal keelboat sailing classes were on Shields class boats back when UCSC owned four of them here in Santa Cruz (mid-1970s). I already was sailing Lasers and 505s and crewing on a Santana 22, but the UCSC classes in the Shields (taken through Cabrillo College) were awesome. Fabulous instructors. In Santa Cruz style of the day we had no motors and were taught to back the Shields into their slips under sail. I learned skills that have served me for decades in those classes so I am rather fond of Shields boats. Some (all?) of the former UCSC boats are in the Monterey fleet now. Not exactly my idea of fast is fun (my first keelboat was a Moore 24) but I sure had a lot of fun sailing them.

• Like 1