MaxHeadroom

Craigslist special. Bubba is selling his project

Doesn’t look like a Bubba project. Hell of a deal for the right person, actually.  $8K is nothing for someone who actually knows what they’re doing. Problems: location; and few people want such projects.

That’s just sad

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MaxHeadroom said:

Bubba lost his lease on the dirt he was building this, 

Step right up, this baby won’t last long <_<

https://eastnc.craigslist.org/boa/d/atlantic-beach-44-ft-steel-sailboat/6983146058.html

I leave it to you to cross post to "Mocking Ads on Craigslist" in the Cruising Anarchy forum.

- Stumbling

I cannot imagine what horror is hiding behind all that internal spray foam. Actually I can it is rust and a never ending nightmare. 

Actually I think that one may have been on the Mocking Craigslist thread already.

I've driven past this boat many a time. Work stopped on it ~10 years ago, maybe more. If you're local and doing  big boatbuilding project, there's probably more than $8K worth of material in the deal but obviously any buyer should carefully inventory everything and figure it out for themselves.

Kinda sad, really

FB- Doug

What I find is a rather old issue.  All to often home builders dreams far exceed the reality of thier capabilities or desires.  They build HUGE.  The projects are never ending because of the magnitude of it all.  For what was reportedly spent, a 25 footer or even better a 20 footer could have been built, sailed, experience gained and then if the interest was there, go for the bigger boat and the bigger dream.  

They start out building a cruise liner and then when the interest (and or funds) runs out, the rust sets in.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bdu98252 said:

I cannot imagine what horror is hiding behind all that internal spray foam. Actually I can it is rust and a never ending nightmare. 

Ok, that sounds bad, and sad.  I’ll never get why people build boats when there are so many for sale.  (That being said, a friend of mine hasbuilt three boats, including a Roberts 44 in fibreglass and does incredible work with everything he does, from machining to upholstery.)

5 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Ok, that sounds bad, and sad.  I’ll never get why people build boats when there are so many for sale.  (That being said, a friend of mine hasbuilt three boats, including a Roberts 44 in fibreglass and does incredible work with everything he does, from machining to upholstery.)

I think this boat may have been started in a different era...thirty years ago the used boat market was not as well supplied with "classic plastic".

I personally dodged a bullet much like this boat. In the 80s I was looking and there was not the current supply of affordabel used and usable boats. I nearly bought a "mostly finished" fiberglass Roberts not quite as big as this one. I thank providence that work moved me to different city before I backed up my fantasy with a cheque.

Having got close to that trap, I feel for people who got sucked into that black hole.

1 hour ago, KC375 said:
1 hour ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

I think this boat may have been started in a different era...thirty years ago the used boat market was not as well supplied with "classic plastic".

I personally dodged a bullet much like this boat. In the 80s I was looking and there was not the current supply of affordabel used and usable boats. I nearly bought a "mostly finished" fiberglass Roberts not quite as big as this one. I thank providence that work moved me to different city before I backed up my fantasy with a cheque.

Having got close to that trap, I feel for people who got sucked into that black hole.

Well, even with inexpensive used boats plentiful, there is an attraction to building your own. How else are you going to make certain that all the hidden details are done right? And this is why other peoples' projects have no market worth... it's probably an economical way to jump-start a home build project, but you're also buying somebody elses' skill (or lack thereof).

EVERY boat is a project!

FB- Doug

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Well, even with inexpensive used boats plentiful, there is an attraction to building your own. How else are you going to make certain that all the hidden details are done right? And this is why other peoples' projects have no market worth... it's probably an economical way to jump-start a home build project, but you're also buying somebody elses' skill (or lack thereof).

EVERY boat is a project!

FB- Doug

Well said.  Of course, I knew that.  And hidden details there are many, many indeed. I helped deliver a Santa Cruz 50 back from Hawaii - it had been completely rebuilt/upgraded 4 times by same owner since the ‘80s (including deck recore).

I’m just astounded when people have the time to build —and finish— boats like that.  There’s a 50’ steel Bruce Roberts up here a guy started yrs ago.  Twelve yrs to finish; he’s just now returning from a multi year circumnavigation.  https://oceanmetal.ca/project/dream-catcher-project/

Ya gotta really, really have patience and commitment.

I like the minimalistic interior. Should be a good upwind performer and benefit from a fair rating. Maybe she needs a rig first. Buy it for $8K. Spend $160K finishing it and you will have one solid $70,000. cruising boat.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Well said.  Of course, I knew that.  And hidden details there are many, many indeed. I helped deliver a Santa Cruz 50 back from Hawaii - it had been completely rebuilt/upgraded 4 times by same owner since the ‘80s (including deck recore).

I’m just astounded when people have the time to build —and finish— boats like that.  There’s a 50’ steel Bruce Roberts up here a guy started yrs ago.  Twelve yrs to finish; he’s just now returning from a multi year circumnavigation.  https://oceanmetal.ca/project/dream-catcher-project/

Ya gotta really, really have patience and commitment.

That guy is in my Rotary club.

Started the hull build in Sudbury, On., dragged the hull to Vancouver Island and it sat for years as he picked away on it.

Supportive wife was key to the eventual success of his retirement plan.

26 minutes ago, Gong Show said:

That guy is in my Rotary club.

Started the hull build in Sudbury, On., dragged the hull to Vancouver Island and it sat for years as he picked away on it.

Supportive wife was key to the eventual success of his retirement plan.

I believe he’s an engineer, so has a good conceptual background.  (Not like a lawyer or something :-) ) Kudos to him- it’s a great boat and went around the world.  I do think someone who knows what they’re doing and could get the other one for peanuts (offer a few thou max.) could make it a great boat.  Comes with two engines, rig, sails. Etc.  But you better go into it eyes very wide open! :-)

You better want to build a boat as opposed to "getting a boat cheap".

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

You better want to build a boat as opposed to "getting a boat cheap".

Yes - the right skilled person could do it.  Otherwise it becomes a psychological, emotional and financial burden :-). Like finding a good long-term mate, has to be the right person, or you’ll have a huge problem, like the seller here...

How about a 1981 one tonner rebuild in Berkeley, CA that was mid rebuild. At least it's floating already...

$15k for a project

onetonner.jpg

That actually looks decent.  New engine?!  $15K.  What’s the catch.  Oh yeah, gotta finish it.  Still, looks decent.

Suspicious note.  One part of listing says it’s in Berkeley.  Another says Portland.  

Bait and switch? :-)

The Catalina doesn't appear to have hurricane damage.  Sunk in slip? hatches left open and filled with rain water?

9 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Well, even with inexpensive used boats plentiful, there is an attraction to building your own. How else are you going to make certain that all the hidden details are done right?

This. I *know* how my boat was built, every weld, the paint system, the insulation, all the wiring & plumbing, the rig & sails. There were no corners cut; anything I missed was out of ignorance rather than deliberate corner cutting.

Were I a much younger man I'd build again without a second thought. I *like* building things and I have the skill to do so.

Would I buy someone else's unfinished project? Almost certainly not. I'd have to live with their bad (IMO) decisions or cut them out & re-do it.

Got back yesterday on the tide from a couple days down Channel. Light/no wind so a lot of motoring, 5.5 knots @ 2 litres/hour burn rate. Plenty of seals and other marine life. Dead calm anchorages and almost no other boats out there. Probably going again next week. Life is good.

FKT

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Actually I think that one may have been on the Mocking Craigslist thread already.

I've driven past this boat many a time. Work stopped on it ~10 years ago, maybe more. If you're local and doing  big boatbuilding project, there's probably more than $8K worth of material in the deal but obviously any buyer should carefully inventory everything and figure it out for themselves.

Kinda sad, really

FB- Doug

This is the boat on Bridges St behind some closed up car dealership or shop of some sort? It looked essentially the same in early 90s when I kept my boat in Beaufort. Will be sad to see it leave some day, mostly because it will be the end of it being a boat. Would be ok for some economic engine to be running in that place again though (as long as it aint an applebees)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shu said:

The Catalina doesn't appear to have hurricane damage.  Sunk in slip? hatches left open and filled with rain water?

Needs a rudder.  Needs a mast. Good time to go the a standard mast, not a furling. Keel should be dropped and hull/floors carefully inspected.  Other than that, some upholstery and a lot of elbow grease, assuming theelectrical system is trashed by a salt water bath and the engine is actually OK. 

Looks like an insurance write off that will cost a bunch to get back to sailing condition. 

8 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

That actually looks decent.  New engine?!  $15K.  What’s the catch.  Oh yeah, gotta finish it.  Still, looks decent.

Suspicious note.  One part of listing says it’s in Berkeley.  Another says Portland.  

Bait and switch? :-)

Oh right, I think it is in Portland, but I forgot as I was searching for a used mast in the Richmond area.

Here's one that I honestly would want if I had the dough and a good yard to work on it (if I still lived on the coast). J41 in Texas for $2,900 and you can borrow the trailer.

J41 in Texas

I sent this boat link to a friend in jest, kind of, then I sent him a link to a Farr 30, he bought the Farr 30.

J41.jpg

8 hours ago, WCB said:

Here's one that I honestly would want if I had the dough and a good yard to work on it (if I still lived on the coast). J41 in Texas for $2,900 and you can borrow the trailer.

J41 in Texas

I sent this boat link to a friend in jest, kind of, then I sent him a link to a Farr 30, he bought the Farr 30.

J41.jpg

If you're really really a fan of the classic IOR look and feel, the J41 is a great boat. Otherwise, not so much.

Can you say "broach coach"? Of course you can!

FB- Doug

2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

If you're really really a fan of the classic IOR look and feel, the J41 is a great boat. Otherwise, not so much.

FB- Doug

Looking at the trailer set up it must be an Etchells sailor.

What most people--pros as well as amateurs, do not realize is that the steel is the EASY part!  It is everything else that takes the time. Sometimes the money too. Exception: simple working craft. There, there is only structure.

Yes, the classic overshoot. Very sad.

All that foam has to come out so that the welds can be inspected. By the time you gut and strip this thing you've spent half the time in building a new hull. Well maybe not that bad but you get the idea. Artificial reef anyone?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

What most people--pros as well as amateurs, do not realize is that the steel is the EASY part!  It is everything else that takes the time. Sometimes the money too. Exception: simple working craft. There, there is only structure.

All that foam has to come out so that the welds can be inspected. By the time you gut and strip this thing you've spent half the time in building a new hull. Well maybe not that bad but you get the idea. Artificial reef anyone?

Agree, and the hull is such a small part of the overall finished project. I feel for these guys and watch YouTube channels like "Acorn to Arabella" or "Salt and Tar", their work ethic is impressive to watch, really inspiring, I want to see them succeed, they are making great progress, but I can't help to think how long they have to go. If you took the same effort, and did a full refit they'd already be sitting at anchor in the Caribbean. But to their credit they will have the "built it from the ground up" pride. Having the the hull is such a small part of the final boat, it even trickles down to RC sailing - how many cool, but bare RC hulls have you seen sitting in a sailor's garage!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hank Bollard said:

Agree, and the hull is kinda the easy part as well. I feel for these guys and watch YouTube channels like "Acorn to Arabella" or "Salt and Tar", their work ethic is impressive to watch, really inspiring, I want to see them succeed, they are making great progress, but I can't help to think how long they have to go. If you took the same effort, less money and did a full refit they'd already be sitting at anchor in the Caribbean. But to their credit they will have the "built it from the ground up" pride. Having the the hull is such a small part of the final boat. It even trickles down to RC sailing - how many cool, but bare RC hulls have you seen sitting in a sailor's garage!

Don't let yourself see the SV Rusty Junk

• Like 2

Kind of the way governement budgeting / procurement works - it started out looking like the lowest cost...

"Construction began in November of 2016. It will be a steel hulled, junk rigged sailboat. No plans, just a vision of how it will look in my head and making it up as I go. The goal is to build a strong, safe sailboat for the lowest cost possible."

Up to episode 31 now.

22 hours ago, KC375 said:

Kind of the way governement budgeting / procurement works - it started out looking like the lowest cost...

"Construction began in November of 2016. It will be a steel hulled, junk rigged sailboat. No plans, just a vision of how it will look in my head and making it up as I go. The goal is to build a strong, safe sailboat for the lowest cost possible."

Up to episode 31 now.

Hmmmm, there's a reason I tune into Salt & Tar that this series is desperatly lacking.

1 minute ago, Hank Bollard said:

Hmmmm, there's a reason I tune into Salt & Tar that this series is desperatly lacking.

1. Any SA post (like mine) that draws an analogy to government budgeting and procurement can reasonably be interpreted as sarcastic or mocking. The SV Rusty Junk / Steel Sailboat series could easily be cross posted in a number of SA threads about the "beauty of home built steel" and the "wisdom of B Swain".

2. Salt & Tar has way more going for it on almost any level including the visual appeal of the talent. But still way too much selfie time - the protagonists taking up the frame talking. I much prefer Keep Turning Left or Sampson Boat Co/Tally Ho or Sailing the Farm were more of the content is content and the selfie shots are more frequently actually doing the thing of interest. YMMV

I feel like I need a tetanus shot just from reading the ad.

• Like 2

On 10/2/2019 at 8:56 PM, WCB said:

J41 in Texas

J41.jpg

WOW - a little elbow grease and I'd have a J-41 worth $100 grand. :rolleyes:

On 10/2/2019 at 5:20 AM, bdu98252 said:

kinda beat me too it..  pics or it never happened :)

00505_1c2nQVD7wkP_1200x900.jpg

8 hours ago, Hank Bollard said:

There's only ONE reason to tune into Salt and Tar and her name is Ruth.......

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Santana20AE said:

Or..for $24,500 you could have this one, ready to sail

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1985/j-boats-41-3187579/?refSource=standard listing

Lotta boat for $25k. That is until it's time to replace a sail...

Or until you're presented with the bar tab for the dozen animals that it must take to race this beauty.

On 10/4/2019 at 12:26 AM, fastyacht said:

First para, agree.

Last para, no - you can use an ultrasonic gauge to check hull thickness etc. Should show up weld flaws.

But the hull is maybe 15% of the work anyway and the fast/easy bit.

I got offered cheap/free steel hulls when I started looking. Even got offered a free complete boat that the owner had hauled home then realised was beyond him. But you have to like the designer, hull shape etc or what's the point?

Doing the fitout is complex, time-consuming and requires a lot of skill & thinking time. I'd built 3 houses including the plumbing & wiring. The boat was far more difficult.

FKT

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

First para, agree.

Last para, no - you can use an ultrasonic gauge to check hull thickness etc. Should show up weld flaws.

But the hull is maybe 15% of the work anyway and the fast/easy bit.

I got offered cheap/free steel hulls when I started looking. Even got offered a free complete boat that the owner had hauled home then realised was beyond him. But you have to like the designer, hull shape etc or what's the point?

Doing the fitout is complex, time-consuming and requires a lot of skill & thinking time. I'd built 3 houses including the plumbing & wiring. The boat was far more difficult.

FKT

Good point on UDT.

5 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

WOW - a little elbow grease and I'd have a J-41 worth $100 grand. :rolleyes:

J41 as I remember it won the Newport Bermuda--at least in class--in whay? 88 or somethng?  I reember a writeup in the North Sails nwsletter at the time.

38 minutes ago, Pokey uh da LBC said:

Lotta boat for $25k. That is until it's time to replace a sail...

Or until you're presented with the bar tab for the dozen animals that it must take to race this beauty.

Suppose that the fellow was referring to the bar tab when he said, with a bit of elbow grease a fellow could wind up with a $100,000 J41. (100K bar tab it takes to sail her:D). 

1 hour ago, fastyacht said:

J41 as I remember it won the Newport Bermuda--at least in class--in whay? 88 or somethng?  I reember a writeup in the North Sails nwsletter at the time.

One of the best looking of the 30.5 One Tonners.

At $25K that's a hell of a lot of boat for small money.

On 10/3/2019 at 8:13 AM, KC375 said:

Up to episode 31 now.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a worse train wreck. I'm watching episodes just so I can see how horrible it turns out. This idiot's design process makes Hotrod James look brilliant in comparison.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

I'm not sure I've ever seen a worse train wreck. I'm watching episodes just so I can see how horrible it turns out. This idiot's design process makes Hotrod James look brilliant in comparison.

I only watched a bit of it, but yeah. Makes the Shed of Doom look good. Not sure why somebody who has never seen an actual boat, nor actual plans, nor (apparently) built anything, wants to build a boat. I wonder if Brent Swain is paying him to do it so it will make Brent's boats look good

FB- Doug

2 hours ago, Dex Sawash said:

Price drop! $20,500

That does seem like a much smarter purchase.

Agreed but even that one sounds like it needs $20 or $30K of sails just to start.

Still, for a boat that would cost high six figures for a contemporary equivalent it's a hell of a deal.

On 10/3/2019 at 7:58 AM, Steam Flyer said:

FB- Doug

She used to be in Miami Florida as main bear at first then gunabara