Sign in to follow this  
dacapo

Whoopsies

Ist theire a "H" ?                                                        :)

Another unicorn causes tears. 

Should have been named Alex Trebek I guess

Ist theire a "M" ?                                                        :)

46 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Ist theire a "H" ?                                                        :)

YOU a grammar nazi? :blink:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dacapo said:

Clearly not a sailor.  Pretty nice boat for $700.  Damn shame.

Captain John Kanavy from Sea Tow Montauk managed to pull the Vanna White back out to sea when the tide came in around 4 p.m. — but two hours later Hunt received the tragic news that it had sunk in Montauk Harbor.

“This is my worst nightmare,” Hunt told The Post through tears, calling the vessel “a unicorn” because he got it for such a great price.

“I was going into the wind so I turned on the engine, and all of a sudden, the engine quit and I couldn’t get it to start again,” he recalled of the doomed maiden voyage.

“I kept cranking her and cranking her and trying to get the engine working, and while I was doing that, these waves were coming over the boat, bringing me closer and closer to the shore,” he said.

“There were all these rocks below me and every time I hit a rock, my heart stopped because I thought there would be damage to the boat or it would capsize. I was absolutely mortified.”

sailboat-montauk.thumb.jpg.ee504e0cb21a7e8c613f1642b58f4db0.jpg

sailboat-montauk-3.thumb.jpg.278be57e9e3b0596cf65c8cfcc8d3f7e.jpg

Umm, that big sandy thing the boat is sitting on, is not a rock.

Just tryin' to help, here.

FB- Doug

Wonder what he's into Sea Tow for now?  Bet they ripped the rudder off with a nice high power drag into deep water.  

When it said "new" it was new to him. and now he has sunk $700 into it.  Captain John Kanavy from Sea Tow Montauk managed to pull the Vanna White back out to sea when the tide came in around 4 p.m. — but two hours later Hunt received the tragic news that it had sunk in Montauk Harbor.

That boat would have qualified for the not mocking Craiglist thread.  Could be a free boat listed soon.

• Like 1

Any wagers on how long before a "Go Fund Me" page is set up?

IIRC, the two landlocked clowns and pug with visions of LaVag dancing through their heads who sunk their boat down in FL on the first day got a MUCH nicer boat out of the deal. 

And money as well, although I can't recall if they actually went through the expense or effort to have their boat removed from the bottom of the channel.

One guess who will be paying to raise and scrap it.

6 hours ago, d'ranger said:

When it said "new" it was new to him. and now he has sunk $700 into it.  Captain John Kanavy from Sea Tow Montauk managed to pull the Vanna White back out to sea when the tide came in around 4 p.m. — but two hours later Hunt received the tragic news that it had sunk in Montauk Harbor.

That boat would have qualified for the not mocking Craiglist thread.  Could be a free boat listed soon.

so sea tow comes along and hauls the boat , did they bother to check for any leaks before taking it to Montauk Harbor to let it sink?  

when my kids started sailing i drilled it into their heads "If having a problem, Drop the anchor"

On 10/4/2019 at 2:09 PM, European Bloke said:

I wonder if taking the sail cover off the main would have helped him go upwind? ...

The what off the where ??? :o

Joking aside, seemed to be a pretty clean boat for just 700 bucks

On 10/4/2019 at 3:48 PM, Glenn McCarthy said:

Wait until he gets the bill for having the boat raised and disposed of.  He ain't seen nuthin' yet.

hes homeless,  he lost a few hundred in airfare, 700 on the boat.  what are they gonna do.  put a lien on the boat?  Garnish his wages? 

The cash-strapped seaman said he bought the sailboat after he was laid off from his job working for computer company Intel in Ocotillo, Arizona, and told The Post he has sailed bigger vessels than the 26-foot Catalina.

“I was going into the wind so I turned on the engine, and all of a sudden, the engine quit and I couldn’t get it to start again,” he recalled of the doomed maiden voyage.“I kept cranking her and cranking her and trying to get the engine working, and while I was doing that, these waves were coming over the boat, bringing me closer and closer to the shore,” he said.

I wonder if it had fuel? or maybe the wave action stirred sediment up in the tank and clogged the filter...

Could any blame fall to sea tow?  they removed the boat, it was in their care and  and then it sunk....

actually looked like a nice boat.  from the topsides at least.  Although I think that main traveling over the hatchway has to go.  how many times would you bump your noggin on that...