Kack

Sturgis Boat Works unreachable?

Need a part for the Fareast 28R and they never returned calls.  Website appears to be down and phones have robo voice straight to voicemail.

Anyone have the scoop?  They fucked up the install on our spin pole and now I have to unfuck it.   Anyone know where else to get parts, looking for the Delrin insert for the end of the spin pole launch tube.  

Matt Wake, the owner of Sturgis, stole over $600,000 from their customers by selling illegal boats.  He had options, but he decided to fold.

He "sold" part of his business to Rob Simmons, who was complicit in the theft, and who is now doing business as Simmons Boat Works.

• Like 1

And people wonder why sailing is dying :huh:

I've had a similar experience.  I've called and emailed Matt Wake and Sturgis Boat Works a few times recently to inquire about availability of the Fareast 19R but received not answer or reply.  Anyone know who will take over the US distribution/importing of the Fareast boats?

22 hours ago, SCANAS said:

Illegal how? Didn’t measure in?

Anyone?

4 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Anyone?

Construction techniques that might not be allowed by the class rules

There was a thread here recently... Search for "C420" and you should find it

10 minutes ago, Rushman said:

Dubious construction techniques that might not be allowed by the class rules

There was a thread here recently... Search for "C420" and you should find it

On 10/6/2019 at 12:22 PM, jimx said:

Matt Wake, the owner of Sturgis, stole over $600,000 from their customers by selling illegal boats.  He had options, but he decided to fold.

He "sold" part of his business to Rob Simmons, who was complicit in the theft, and who is now doing business as Simmons Boat Works.

Sure the dealer is involved, but seems to me the builder is to blame. You cant blame the corner shop if your can of coke is full of water! 

48 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Sure the dealer is involved, but seems to me the builder is to blame. You cant blame the corner shop if your can of coke is full of water! 

There is such a thing as due diligence, you’re supposed to check the product you’re selling is fit for purpose. 

38 minutes ago, mad said:

There is such a thing as due diligence, you’re supposed to check the product you’re selling is fit for purpose. 

Would you expect a parent to be able to tell which fibreglass technique had been used during construction?

Is there a reseller involved with the purchase of these boats?

Like the coke can, if it looks like a coke can & feels like a coke can & it comes in a box from Coke! What else are you supposed to do, X-ray & taste test every can. Just look at all the experts in the relevant thread getting it wrong! 

Sturgis are the reseller yeah? Are they supposed to give a full refund & cop the lot when they made 2-4% of the sale! 

Overseas builder has hung them out to dry by all reports here. Happens a lot in boat building. 

3 hours ago, Rushman said:

Would you expect a parent to be able to tell which fibreglass technique had been used during construction?

Is there a reseller involved with the purchase of these boats?

If you're selling a product that has to comply to (class) regulations and standards, then you make sure you receive a certificate of conformity from that supplier, and if in doubt make further checks that you are in fact receiving the goods that you have actually ordered.

11 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Like the coke can, if it looks like a coke can & feels like a coke can & it comes in a box from Coke! What else are you supposed to do, X-ray & taste test every can. Just look at all the experts in the relevant thread getting it wrong! 

Sturgis are the reseller yeah? Are they supposed to give a full refund & cop the lot when they made 2-4% of the sale! 

Overseas builder has hung them out to dry by all reports here. Happens a lot in boat building. 

Agreed, however, its much like buying goods and discovering they are fake/counterfeit.  You buy from a reputable supplier to try and negate these issues.

4 hours ago, SCANAS said:

Uh, sir, with all due respect:

Your reply is not only void of anything that could remotely be considered factually accurate. But it's so horribly ignorant and incorrect, anyone on this forum with an an IQ over 30 will assume you are trolling.

If you are, good for you. You win.

If you aren't trolling........ I'd suggest you not post on the internet ever again (particularly about dinghy sailing, manufacturer and resale, and maybe more broadly, just sailing in general). This is just the most factually ignorant comment I've seen in .... years......

6 hours ago, WestCoast said:

Uh, sir, with all due respect:

Your reply is not only void of anything that could remotely be considered factually accurate. But it's so horribly ignorant and incorrect, anyone on this forum with an an IQ over 30 will assume you are trolling.

If you are, good for you. You win.

If you aren't trolling........ I'd suggest you not post on the internet ever again (particularly about dinghy sailing, manufacturer and resale, and maybe more broadly, just sailing in general). This is just the most factually ignorant comment I've seen in .... years......

Looks like we got ourselves a Democrat. 

46 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Looks like we got ourselves a Democrat. 

Ok ok, you're clearly trolling.  Two points for you, you win the internet today!

Just to be clear:

Everything you said in your post was factually incorrect. 
Seriously.  
Not a single thing you said was remotely accurate.

- You got the responsible party wrong.
- You made up some margin number which is wildly wrong.
- You got the remedy wrong.
- You got the comparison wrong.
- You actually even got the rumors mixed up - which I didn't think was even a thing.

I realize you don't live in the US, and you don't own a dinghy business, nor do you understand what went on here...

So, why open your mouth? 
People read these forums, good people, sailors and families impacted by this.
Why just spread lies and misinformation for no good reason?

Do you feel good about it?

• Like 1

On 10/5/2019 at 7:22 PM, jimx said:

This is some serious shit. Was he arrested?  Do you have any links that show this is a real thing?

1 hour ago, WestCoast said:

Ok ok, you're clearly trolling.  Two points for you, you win the internet today!

Just to be clear:

Everything you said in your post was factually incorrect. 
Seriously.  
Not a single thing you said was remotely accurate.

- You got the responsible party wrong.
- You made up some margin number which is wildly wrong.
- You got the remedy wrong.
- You got the comparison wrong.
- You actually even got the rumors mixed up - which I didn't think was even a thing.

I realize you don't live in the US, and you don't own a dinghy business, nor do you understand what went on here...

So, why open your mouth? 
People read these forums, good people, sailors and families impacted by this.
Why just spread lies and misinformation for no good reason?

Do you feel good about it?

I only know what I read on this thread & the illegal c240 thread. From that I understand / assume Sturgis imported & sold these boats. 

Did he deliver all the boats he was paid for? 

When did the builder agree to repay sturgis? 

When did you study sturgis financial records? 

Just keep in mind folks that accusing people of a crime that they did not get convicted of is a very easy way to get sued for defamation, which is expensive even if you are right.

6 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Just keep in mind folks that accusing people of a crime that they did not get convicted of is a very easy way to get sued for defamation, which is expensive even if you are right.

I’m interested to get your view, maybe once the dust settles. 

Just now, SCANAS said:

I’m interested to get your view, maybe once the dust settles. 

I have zero knowledge of any of it.  I know Matt and like him, but haven't spoken to him in more than a year, nor have I stayed up on the vagaries of the dinghy or sportboat world.

I meant the consumer law standpoint. But not to worry. 

2 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

I meant the consumer law standpoint. But not to worry. 

If anything solid enough materializes to base it on, I'll offer up my view.

• Like 1

Matt has generally been fair with us as a customer regarding our 28R, despite some issues with Fareast and some delays.  I never got the impression that he was trying to take advantage of us.  I imagine the operation folding had as much to do with small margins and the current political/tariff environment regarding Trump/China as with the c420 debacle.  I do not have any knowledge of whether Fareast intends to make owners whole in that situation, though I doubt the current political situation helps.  In a situation like this I imagine there will be a lot of litigation and I am not sure any small importer would have $600k on hand or be able to absorb that without folding.  It may simply be that the money went to China to pay for the boats and isn't going to come back... Attacking Matt on a personal level without evidence probably isn't helpful.  Importing stuff like this is a small margin business.  When stuff like this happens those businesses go under.  I am not sure Fareast has any real incentive here to bend over backwards regarding refunds given a hostile and degrading trade environment and little prospect of improvement.  It's hard to imagine a Fareast executive wouldn't interpret a ruling from an all American sailing class like this as anything other than an attack, given the outside environment.  From our own perspective this is all bad news as we have no way of getting parts imported from Fareast for our 28R... though I guess that is small potatoes compared to issues others are having.  The Fareast model in general makes sailing more accessible to normal folks at each level they build boats for.  The 28R was a quantum leap in affordability/performance.  A situation like this is a huge loss for the whole community and it makes me sad.  I remain unconvinced that the C420 class handled this in the wisest way given what sounds like huge variances across all builders. But I am not a member of that class and it really isn't my place to say I guess.  The fallout is real though.  Just my 2c...

You might want to reach out to Martin Robitaille at Fareast Boats Canada (info@fareastboats.ca) for the parts you need for your 28R. I reached out to the manufacturer in China after being unable to reach anyone at Sturgis Boat Works and was advised that I could buy a 19R from Canada since there is currently no US dealer. I would think you could buy parts from Canada as well. Good luck!

• Like 1

On 10/9/2019 at 12:17 PM, Olson_30_Guy said:

I remain unconvinced that the C420 class handled this in the wisest way given what sounds like huge variances across all builders. But I am not a member of that class and it really isn't my place to say I guess.  The fallout is real though.  Just my 2c...

The Class punished the builder here, and 50 owners, Laser covered it up and punished every owner except for the Ausie boats.  I feel it was the only way to do it and hurt the fewest owners.  Let’s remember PS2000 is the one who caused this. 

On 10/8/2019 at 7:58 PM, SCANAS said:

I only know what I read on this thread & the illegal c240 thread. From that I understand / assume Sturgis imported & sold these boats. 

Did he deliver all the boats he was paid for? 

When did the builder agree to repay sturgis? 

When did you study sturgis financial records? 

Sturgis and the builder are both owned by the same guy.  They have taken down their website, disconnected their phone, and never returned an email. How much more proof do you need?

Same guy owns the factory overseas & the local dealer? The FE dealers around here are just local independent dealers.

1 hour ago, SCANAS said:

Same guy owns the factory overseas & the local dealer? The FE dealers around here are just local independent dealers.

No, FE is who PS2000 subs out the C420 builds to. He is also the FE dealer for the states.  FE just built what was ordered. PS/Sturgis/Wake are the responsible parties as well as the same entity.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Sailfasss said:

No, FE is who PS2000 subs out the C420 builds to. He is also the FE dealer for the states.  FE just built what was ordered. PS/Sturgis/Wake are the responsible parties as well as the same entity.  

Everyone needs to listen to this guy.

Sturgis was the builder. They are responsible.
They subbed out to a Chinese company. They asked Chinese company to build infused boats, they did so.
Why would the Chinese company if they were class legal or not in the USA?  That doesn't concern them at all.

This is the end of the story.

SCANAS, mate, you have the story so backwards!!  are you drunk?

On 10/17/2019 at 2:18 AM, BlatantEcho said:

Everyone needs to listen to this guy.

Sturgis was the builder. They are responsible.
They subbed out to a Chinese company. They asked Chinese company to build infused boats, they did so.
Why would the Chinese company if they were class legal or not in the USA?  That doesn't concern them at all.

This is the end of the story.

SCANAS, mate, you have the story so backwards!!  are you drunk?

Not yet! Post 32 set me straight. That’s why I liked his post. 

As I said in post 31. I assumed FE built these in the hundreds for export all over the world in consultation with the class rather than a dealer deciding to order a class boat to a different spec. 

15 hours ago, SCANAS said:

As I said in post 31. I assumed FE built these in the hundreds for export all over the world in consultation with the class rather than a dealer deciding to order a class boat to a different spec. 

Yeah, this is not even remotely how it works.

Again, I'm not picking on you, but it's soooo frustrating to see such bad information parroted as fact - especially when shared publicly by people.

You had every single aspect of the facts of the story entirely wrong.  And I just wish those posts could get deleted or redacted or something.
A lot of people were affected by this, and some of us are still hoping Matt makes good.

So, it's just such a disservice to sailors everywhere to have unfounded, false information being repeated over and over. 

I'll just remind all of you: You can and possibly will be sued for defamation by what you post in these forums.  If you are sued, we will get a subpoena for your IP address and other information that will easily allow you to be found and served, and if you are found to have made false statements and damaged a company or individual's reputation, you will have to pay them money, possibly a  lot of it.

I'm not trying to keep anyone from talking about what is clearly a major issue in dinghy world.  Just remember that allegations like this are precisely the kind that land you in court, and that you are responsible for your words, even here.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

I'll just remind all of you: You can and possibly will be sued for defamation by what you post in these forums.  If you are sued, we will get a subpoena for your IP address and other information that will easily allow you to be found and served, and if you are found to have made false statements and damaged a company or individual's reputation, you will have to pay them money, possibly a  lot of it.

I'm not trying to keep anyone from talking about what is clearly a major issue in dinghy world.  Just remember that allegations like this are precisely the kind that land you in court, and that you are responsible for your words, even here.

What is with the "we" lately?  You back with SA?

Can’t seem to Quote you @WestCoast but that is exactly how it works with our local FE dealer. They don’t get a say in construction of that boats. Sailfass explained that Sturgis IS PS2000 & he asked for the boats to built that way. That’s bizarre to me + you could have set the record straight at post 20. 

Also acording to: http://www.420sailing.org/content/420-licensed-builders FE are licensed 420 builders. Was Matt’s order their first delivery of 420’s? 

You can report posts & the admin will take them down, top right of post, feel free if you think it’ll help your cause. 

• Like 1

To the best of my recollection Sturgis never sold any International 420’s. Sturgis sold the Club 420’s which are only sailed in North America. 

• Like 1

On 10/18/2019 at 12:42 PM, Wess said:

What is with the "we" lately?  You back with SA?

Definitely not! just old habit and I still check in to moderate if I get asked or Scot is outta town.

On 10/18/2019 at 2:13 PM, SCANAS said:

Can’t seem to Quote you @WestCoast but that is exactly how it works with our local FE dealer. They don’t get a say in construction of that boats. Sailfass explained that Sturgis IS PS2000 & he asked for the boats to built that way. That’s bizarre to me + you could have set the record straight at post 20. 

Also acording to: http://www.420sailing.org/content/420-licensed-builders FE are licensed 420 builders. Was Matt’s order their first delivery of 420’s? 

You can report posts & the admin will take them down, top right of post, feel free if you think it’ll help your cause. 

I'm done responding to you, I'm sorry.

Again, you are factually wrong on every level, again.  I can't keep wasting time correcting you over and over and over again.

This is a simple warning to anyone who reads this thread - SCANAS has less than zero idea what he is talking about, who is involved, how the supply chain works, how builders are appointed, or how any of this occurred.  None.  I haven't heard a single opinion be remotely correct.

"Was Matt’s order their first delivery of 420’s? "  I am usually not so public here, especially with criticism, but, this is just unbelievable.  

- goooddddd mate, you are just so far off the mark.... 

--

It's like me asking you if you have a pet kangaroo
"I heard everyone in Australia has one!"
"You say 'no George, we don't'"
And I just spend the rest of a thread saying 'everyone has kangaroos, I saw it on television!!!  I heard a guy say it is true'

You're just so wrong on every level, please please please stop posting in this thread.

@WestCoast I think you missed that point of that post like many things in your life. Why can’t I quote you but I can quote anybody else in the thread knickers in a knot over a 420!?

On 10/25/2019 at 4:46 PM, SCANAS said:

@WestCoast I think you missed that point of that post like many things in your life. Why can’t I quote you but I can quote anybody else in the thread knickers in a knot over a 420!?

Mate, no one has any idea why your computer skills are as bad as your English language skills.
I think most of us assume you are posting while drunk **which is fun sometimes :P**

I think I speak for everyone here when I say, you really come off as know nothing tosser. Please STFU!

On 10/25/2019 at 9:18 AM, Sail4beer said:

Matt and Sturgis left me out to dry back in ‘15 with the first Fareast28R in the States. He never delivered what I paid for and had to get my credit card company after him and Sturgis to get a refund. They were found in the wrong after a 3 month investigation by my bank and Sturgis never responded to the bank in its inquiry. The case was closed on a Friday morning in May and that afternoon got a call( I let it got to voicemail) from Travis or Trey at Sturgis saying that they finally wanted to ship the sails and spars after a year and that he had just started working there And to please call him back. I had met him when I picked up my boat the year before. 

That he did something that hurt so many people does not surprise me AT ALL! I’m glad the business shuttered and personally hope that Matt gets some more karma for the way he operates and the screwing he gave me.

If anyone has any sails or a mast for a Fareast28R, could you please let me know? My boat’s been mothballed since  the day I bought it. 

I tried to sell it as a project boat with trailer here and on Craigslist at a very modest price. Everyone  that saw the ads and called Matt asked his opinion on the boat price compared to a new one.  He lied to them. Told them the boat was worth $12,000 with the trailer. I had to deny several people driving from far away to get mine because Matt undervalued it so much that I couldn’t Cant make this shit up.  

I have a bunch of emails from potential buyers telling me about Matt’s misleadings and my emails to him telling him to quit lying and being such an underhanded businessman. He replied that I, had in fact, not paid for anything and that I stole money from him through my bank. 

If he wants to try to sue anyone for defamation of character, he won’t try me. I have 5 years of communications with him in writing.

He also knows that my boat would have been in Key West Race Week back a few years ago if he had actually sent me the 3 sails and mast needed to make the boat move under sail power. I had offered the boat to our past Commodore and his kids to sail. 

As an aside, I bought the boat used after it was the demo boat that was damaged at the dock in a storm after the Figawi Race. It was the boat in the centerfold Ad when the boat became Boat Of The Year. I joked with friends back then that Matt must have used the money I gave him for the Ad instead of ordering my new sails(he kept the original sails and wouldn’t give them to me). 

The mast is a standard Selden mast you should be able to get from Selden and sails any loft can make. I have had no issues with my FE28R I bought from Matt but I have not needed anything from him. I felt I got a great buy and so far I have no regrets. There isn’t anything on that boat, or for that matter, most boats that can’t be fixed/ fabricated or repaired. My 2003 Beneteau is no longer being made but the engine, electronics, sails, rigging , mast can all be replaced in one way or another. 

Yup. I hear You about the spars and sails. My problem is that the boat was bought through my business, which ran on a thin profit margin. I bought and restored a number of other boats during that time and now that I am ahead of the work a little, I’m going to order the mast and sails come New Year and sell the boat for a good low price to a lucky buyer. I performed all of the repairs necessary it’s like new. All fiberglass boats can technically be repaired..

On 11/23/2019 at 11:30 PM, gjbike said:

The mast is a standard Selden mast you should be able to get from Selden and sails any loft can make. I have had no issues with my FE28R I bought from Matt but I have not needed anything from him. I felt I got a great buy and so far I have no regrets. There isn’t anything on that boat, or for that matter, most boats that can’t be fixed/ fabricated or repaired. My 2003 Beneteau is no longer being made but the engine, electronics, sails, rigging , mast can all be replaced in one way or another. 

I’m guessing the fact that he bought a new boat and Matt didn’t ship the entire boat is more of the problem.  Looks like you will not have to worry about buying parts from Matt since site and phone are down.  

• Like 1

On 10/18/2019 at 9:15 AM, MR.CLEAN said:

Whoever is responsible for the wifi at my local could get into some real trouble if I defame anyone here. 

@Kack @FS5046 @Olson_30_Guy @Sail4beer @gjbike

Hey everyone,

I am Martin Robitaille, the new distributor for Fareast in Canada and temporarily for the USA too. I am there to help with orders, parts and events.  Most people don't know me as I am a new member of Sailing Anarchy but I have been around quite a while in the Finn class with the National Sailing Team (2012-2017), the Soiling Class and now the Fareast 28R. 

I understand quite of you can be frustrated. I can't do anything what the C420 but if you are looking for parts, sails, 28R events or new Fareast boats, I can help. We are getting a few 19R and 28R this Spring and we have two 23R for sale from our community for 50-55k (Canadian dollars).

The 28R fleet is also growing well in Quebec (that is where we are located). Don't hesitate to get in touch with me if you have questions, requests, etc... That being said, I won't comment or say anything about Sturgis Boat Work as I don't know anything except what has been said online. 

Cheers,

Martin Robitaille

Director of Fareast Boats for Canada

www.fareastboats.ca

**Sail4beer, write me if you are looking really looking to sell your boat. We do want a lot of 28R here. If you are looking for sails and a mast, I can also help you in the winter. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fareast28R CAN2 said:

Hey everyone,

I am Martin Robitaille, the new distributor for Fareast in Canada and temporarily for the USA too. I am there to help with orders, parts and events.  Most people don't know me as I am a new member of Sailing Anarchy but I have been around quite a while in the Finn class with the National Sailing Team (2012-2017), the Soiling Class and now the Fareast 28R. 

I understand quite of you can be frustrated. I can't do anything what the C420 but if you are looking for parts, sails, 28R events or new Fareast boats, I can help. We are getting a few 19R and 28R this Spring and we have two 23R for sale from our community for 50-55k (Canadian dollars).

The 28R fleet is also growing well in Quebec (that is where we are located). Don't hesitate to get in touch with me if you have questions, requests, etc... That being said, I won't comment or say anything about Sturgis Boat Work as I don't know anything except what has been said online. 

Cheers,

Martin Robitaille

www.fareastboats.ca

**Sail4beer, write me if you are looking really looking to sell your boat. We do want a lot of 28R here. If you are looking for sails and a mast, I can also help you in the winter. 

Thanks Martin.  

• Like 1

On 12/13/2019 at 10:53 PM, MR.CLEAN said:

Thanks Martin.  

+1.

SA at its best.

A vendor in our sport offering his services in a calm factual manner. Sounds like the kind of person I would do business with.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2019 at 8:11 AM, IPLore said:

+1.

SA at its best.

A vendor in our sport offering his services in a calm factual manner. Sounds like the kind of person I would do business with.

Indeed. Being Canadian helps too.

On 12/13/2019 at 10:53 PM, MR.CLEAN said:

Thanks Martin

On 12/13/2019 at 8:30 PM, Fareast28R CAN2 said:

Hey everyone,

Cheers,

Martin Robitaille

www.fareastboats.ca

Thanks for all your help putting my order together for this season.the new mast, rigging and rudder will make things right for me come summer. It was great talking with you. I know that many things are in disarray with the pandemic, but It’s time for me to get the boat racing and no better time to support the economy by buying a few essentials!