BobBill

Neat Man-Shed or Not?

Recommended Posts

I over this (Fix It) forum on occasion, but always end up asking (myself) 

How do these serious swabs keep things so neat? Some dens (shops) are super clean? I am sloppy, sorta. And, I understand space is a factor...but...!

So, are some neat for pics, out of habit, what?

I work on something, things are a mess...I mean, I have tools and pieces everywhere...I know where they all sit, but do not "clean up" until the deed is done. The only exception is tools are always placed in their storage place...mostly.

I guess I figure time is important and why waste it? And, I also know some of us are anal and some of us are less anal. Project vs neat-nic-ness, is it nature vs nurture, what?

Example pics from a recent boat project...  

Boat1.jpg

Boat2.jpg

Boat3.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Professionals, and efficient amateurs, don’t want to spend time looking for things (now WHERE did I put that ____?)

So have a place for everything, and everything in its place. We ain’t talking rocket surgery here. 

‘Clean’ means you not stepping in that spilled epoxy, or tracking ‘whatever’ into the work or on yourself. Or knocking something over into the work, or tripping over the tools left wherever...

Its just easier to work that way

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I now feel somewhat better about the state of my wood shop.

Thanks, Mr. Bill!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks a mess, but all tools in their proper place and handy, cept my very small hand sledge...in yard someplace.

And Someguy, I do wood and sawdust everywhere...but I do wear thingy...funny/good comment...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boat shed (double garage)... not too bad, but a lot of tools stored in there at the moment.. Wood working lathe has yet to move to the garage workshop,  the boat shed will become  Clean (as in no dust producing equipment ) workshop for painting, varnishing and sail storage ( in cupboards) etc.. Once it's cleared, the boat might be able to get back in..

New Gardening Shed.. not too bad although SWMBO has moved some of her weaving and spinning stuff in.. and I have some of my wood working / car stuff in there at the moment.

Model railway shed... Awfull.. SWMBO has one end around which the track runs,  which is her art studio.. Unfortunately much of her stuff is spreading down to the Model railway end and I haven't even started building the baseboard supports that end yet...

 Double Garage / workshop, being re laid out at the moment , a lot of gardening stuff has yet to be evicted. Each of the heavy fixed machines will have it's own 2ft 6 in X 2 ft 6 inch topped trolley, which locks into the U of the  U shaped workbench, bench Disk Saw, bench drill, grinder, bandsaw,  plus a heavy vice trolley and a plain trolley. All will have cupboards built in underneath for their own tools. The lathe will have it's own spot, by the other window. The project for the winter, 6 trolleys to build..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i hate stepping over / on things..   and when using power tools,  ( i like corded ones)  you don't want those cords getting tangled up in everything.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, The Q said:

Boat shed (double garage)... not too bad, but a lot of tools stored in there at the moment.. Wood working lathe has yet to move to the garage workshop,  the boat shed will become  Clean (as in no dust producing equipment ) workshop for painting, varnishing and sail storage ( in cupboards) etc.. Once it's cleared, the boat might be able to get back in..

New Gardening Shed.. not too bad although SWMBO has moved some of her weaving and spinning stuff in.. and I have some of my wood working / car stuff in there at the moment.

Model railway shed... Awfull.. SWMBO has one end around which the track runs,  which is her art studio.. Unfortunately much of her stuff is spreading down to the Model railway end and I haven't even started building the baseboard supports that end yet...

 Double Garage / workshop, being re laid out at the moment , a lot of gardening stuff has yet to be evicted. Each of the heavy fixed machines will have it's own 2ft 6 in X 2 ft 6 inch topped trolley, which locks into the U of the  U shaped workbench, bench Disk Saw, bench drill, grinder, bandsaw,  plus a heavy vice trolley and a plain trolley. All will have cupboards built in underneath for their own tools. The lathe will have it's own spot, by the other window. The project for the winter, 6 trolleys to build..

RR...what gauge? 

You must have lots of space: Remember poop level is direct proportionate to space made available...I can imagine looking for my missing sledge in 4-5 spots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BobBill said:

RR...what gauge? 

You must have lots of space: Remember poop level is direct proportionate to space made available...I can imagine looking for my missing sledge in 4-5 spots.

1.5 acres of garden, the Shed Railway is EM gauge  that is 18.2mm between the rails 4mm to the foot scale. https://www.emgs.org/ that shed is 63ft long  and 12 to 16ft wide (wedge shaped piece of land).

 I also have inherited an N gauge railway, which I am rebuilding as a exhibition railway, https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38780.msg581341#msg581341

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, The Q said:

1.5 acres of garden, the Shed Railway is EM gauge  that is 18.2mm between the rails 4mm to the foot scale. https://www.emgs.org/ that shed is 63ft long  and 12 to 16ft wide (wedge shaped piece of land).

 I also have inherited an N gauge railway, which I am rebuilding as a exhibition railway, https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38780.msg581341#msg581341

Jeepers, Lots of space and rule is funny but true, you will accumulate...

Big train too, curious, steam-powered or petrol motor...

Must be busy, who mows lawn, if any not under shed? (Rhetorical jibe...I do S and HO only, when cold hits.) Boat (s)? 

Got to have hobbies. Idlers end up writers...too bad POTUS has none...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

EM 4mm to the foot, is only just above HO 3.5mm to the foot, in scale,  while there are some steam around this is DCC.

Historically the UK started using 4mm to the foot, because our smaller loading gauge than the USA or Europe, meant the electric motors of the time wouldn't fit inside a 3.5mm to the foot HO body shell. So they came up with British 00 gauge.  4mm scale locos running on HO 3.5mm track.  HO track is 16.5mm between the rails,  so it makes the trains a little narrow gauge. 

Just after ww2, dissatisfied modellers came up with Eighteen Millimetre gauge later widened to 18.2 mm this gives a much more accurate look.  But it runs as easily as 00 or H0.

There is now of course P4/S4 invented in the late 1970s, basically take the full size and shrink it to exact scale,  at 4mm to the foot 4ft 8.5inches scales to 18.83mm. That's real rivet counters stuff...

Yes the main idea for the model railway  was a winter hobby,  although I do try to sail all year round inland at the moment in the Yeoman class.  http://www.yeomankinsman.org.uk/yeoman/yeoman.shtm I'm in 103..

The sheds are all on concrete blocks,  sealed from the outside world,  this is to keep the rats out,  I had rats chewing through the floor of the first part of the railway shed before I got the roof on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That shop is pretty good but this one is a bit closer to my ideal.

 

boat shop.jpg

Primary rule of thumb is that a careless smoker should easily be able to set it alight. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like my kinda place, where is the fridge? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love my shop when its clean,  andbeore i start a new roject,  I alwasy take the time to spif it up, put everything way.  and if while working on a project,  I have to spend more than a minute looking for a tool, part, beer, ect..  I'll stop work,  grab a beer, and spend about an hour putting everything back in its place, clean up and resume work.

Its hard for me to get into the habit of putting a tool back on the peg board.   Not sure why,  but it is...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Moi aussi!

"Proper place" (for a tool) might be delayed, while working, but each night I do put back...I am still looking for a rather formidable small sledge...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

i liked my friends shop in leornard, tx,   it was bigger and nicer than his house...     pool table over in one corner..     

"pool table in one corner..." there is more, I kin feel it...sorta.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My shop is typically an organized mess: I know where everything is & can lay hands on, for example, the alternate biscuit joiner cutter with matching allen wrench in a couple of seconds. But pity the poor outsider who needs to find something. There's dust everywhere and I let offcuts accumulate near the table saw until they start getting underfoot, then they go away. I can be cutting wood or I can be tidying shop. One of these things pays the bills, and the time to do the second is when it interferes with the first.

library2.JPG.b3cc8624905807840ede725a7bcf3098.JPG

(Note sailboat winches in background. Usually some low level of boat stuff going on the side.)

I often clean up and sweep floors first thing in the morning, tho. It is a good way to get your head into work mode & to plan the day's activities. Worst thing to do is walk into the shop and punch the table saw ON switch. That's a recipe for me ruining a workpiece or losing a hand. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks way neat.

Wish I would change. I just walk in and go for it, tools set there etc, from previous. Used to work after coming home for hours til late, and just stop; now am more circumspect about it.

Am generaic mess, I guess. Desk piled with books and papers...do the neatness thing once in a while.

BTW, going back a few, never dripped or spilled epoxy on floor, and use newspapers and drops, in case...

Woe is me!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

i liked my friends shop in leornard, tx,   it was bigger and nicer than his house...     pool table over in one corner..     

Sounds like the Tim Allen theory - a dream house for a car guy is a 10,000 Sq. Ft. garage with a one bedroom apartment over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Sounds like the Tim Allen theory - a dream house for a car guy is a 10,000 Sq. Ft. garage with a one bedroom apartment over.

Dig, but why go outside...commode works just as well next to fridge...down "in it!" Seems to me. A cave is a cave... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My poor workshop is destroyed at the moment. Something about buying a big boat comes with a garage full of stuff, that gets in the way of the workshop. I'll need to break down and get a storage trailer I think

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

My poor workshop is destroyed at the moment. Something about buying a big boat comes with a garage full of stuff, that gets in the way of the workshop. I'll need to break down and get a storage trailer I think

Life's a bitch ain't it? ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now