JimB

Gorilla Tape great for temp fix

2days before launching last spring I noticed some delam on the leading edge of my keel. Epoxied that but was still concerned that I may have some water intusion. I also had a horizontal  gel coat crack across the keel.  I bot some clear Gorilla tape that advertises underwater adhesion. I applied a strip of the tape down the leading edge of the keel and another over the gel coat crack. I just pulled the boat for the season and the tape was still in place. I am impressed. Going to pull the keel off and refinish it over the winter but thinking I will reapply the tape on the leading edge of the keel just in case I have a pin hole that I miss that allows water in. The tape survived some 10 knot downwind runs. I bet the clear tape works well as sail repair tape as well. 

Gorilla tape is the ultimate development of The Handyman's Secret Weapon.

It does a great job as webbing reinforcement patches of the grommets on tarps as well.

Just be careful l to avoid wrinkles - the sign of poor workmanship.

Stuff is spendy but amazing. Wrapped mast boot area when bought boat. Last July. In middle of a storm. Still there and no leaks. Works a trick on minor deflate -able leaks. Pretty sure would patch a good size rip in sail

The one thing I don't like about it is that it has a thick adhesive that gets gooey and creeps. Standard HD duct tape doesn't creep to nearly the same extent.

5 hours ago, Ishmael said:

The one thing I don't like about it is that it has a thick adhesive that gets gooey and creeps. Standard HD duct tape doesn't creep to nearly the same extent.

And the HD stuff lasts almost a week, too! 

No. Just no. 

2 hours ago, PaulK said:

And the HD stuff lasts almost a week, too! 

I'm not talking Home Despot. Genuine Heavy Duty quality duct tape. 

This is real HD duct tape.

3mtm-performance-plus-masking-tape-8979.

3M has a reddish/orange tape that might be fairly new to the market IDK.  A salesman in our store swears by it.  He claims Gorilla Tape is 5x better than duct tape, and this stuff is 5x better than Gorilla Tape.

I will see if I can dig up the product name tomorrow.

I'll always put my money on 3M versus any competitor. They demand it but it's worth it. An evergreen example of you get what you pay for. If only all American companies were as reliable.

• Like 3

^ This - 3M is a remarkable company - if they make it, that's the one to use.

• Like 1

The 3M red tape the salesman was raving about is called Outdoor Masking and Stucco tape.  Their item number for it is 5959.  I haven't tried it - just going by what I was told.  

• Like 1

Has anyone ever tried Flex Tape Waterproof Tape on an actual underwater puncture on a boat.  My local store has it on a bucket, but I'd love to know if it can be stuck on underwater, and hold.  It now comes in a 12" x 10' roll.  https://www.flexsealproducts.com/product/flex-tape/

FlexTape.jpg

13 hours ago, 12 metre said:

3M has a reddish/orange tape that might be fairly new to the market IDK.  A salesman in our store swears by it.  He claims Gorilla Tape is 5x better than duct tape, and this stuff is 5x better than Gorilla Tape.

I will see if I can dig up the product name tomorrow.

Probably the 8979 in red. https://www.uline.ca/Product/Detail/S-17542R/3M-Duct-Tape/3M-8979N-Nuclear-Grade-Duct-Tape-2-x-60-yds-Red?pricode=YC957&gadtype=pla&id=S-17542R&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsNb0gMuS5QIVi8VkCh1DwA8uEAQYBCABEgLGu_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Otherwise known as Nuclear Grade Duct Tape.

2 hours ago, Foolish said:

Has anyone ever tried Flex Tape Waterproof Tape on an actual underwater puncture on a boat.  My local store has it on a bucket, but I'd love to know if it can be stuck on underwater, and hold.  It now comes in a 12" x 10' roll.  https://www.flexsealproducts.com/product/flex-tape/

FlexTape.jpg

Donno about that stuff (I have used the spray for a gap between the bilge and tank around the keel bolts and it worked soso this season).  I was gonna try it nxt yr, but the Fiber fix stuff is 100% total crap.  Total waste of $$.  I returned 3 packages of that shit, and all I was trying to put it on was the handle of a smoker.  

Gorilla tape is great for semi permanent repairs too.  The stuff does not degrade and fall apart when exposed to the elements outside of maybe decades... I used it as a bushing for my outboard davit where it clamps to the radar mast about 8 years ago and it is still just fine.  Works better than plastic cable camps for securing hose and wire looms.  Just make a neat wrap, stick it in place and follow up with a screw and washer and that is seriously done.   Easy to modify for future expansion, cheap, holds whatever in place where straps don't.   Only worries is some future surveyor or buyer might question why someone would buck the herd mentality by choosing a superior yet not widely accepted alternative method of fastening. Meh, their loss.

1 hour ago, sailak said:

Gorilla tape is great for semi permanent repairs too.  The stuff does not degrade and fall apart when exposed to the elements outside of maybe decades... I used it as a bushing for my outboard davit where it clamps to the radar mast about 8 years ago and it is still just fine.  Works better than plastic cable camps for securing hose and wire looms.  Just make a neat wrap, stick it in place and follow up with a screw and washer and that is seriously done.   Easy to modify for future expansion, cheap, holds whatever in place where straps don't.   Only worries is some future surveyor or buyer might question why someone would buck the herd mentality by choosing a superior yet not widely accepted alternative method of fastening. Meh, their loss.

I used some to fix a spot on our old metal shed where the original plastic roof cap had weathered and broken. That may have been as long as 5 years ago, and it is shot.

My Dad used to have have a roll of EB(Electric Boat) green tape. It was very high strength military grade stuff. He would tell a story about repairing a ruptured 5000psi hydraulic line with a roll when out on sea trials. You had to cut this tape, it would not tear. 

We’ve got this really common stuff in Au they call duct or gaffer tape. It’s like 2” wide electrical tape. No fibres, almost no residue. Good to have on the boats.

6 hours ago, Ishmael said:

I used some to fix a spot on our old metal shed where the original plastic roof cap had weathered and broken. That may have been as long as 5 years ago, and it is shot.

Put another layer on and it’ll be good for another 5 years!

There is a silver foil backed  fiber tape used for sticking sound proofing insulation together when I did my engine bay, I had a bit stuck on a hole in the mast for 5 years, still good.

On 10/10/2019 at 3:09 PM, Foolish said:

FlexTape.jpg

I’ve used the Gorilla version of this almost underwater (the Gorilla Waterproof Patch And Seal is probably nearly the same stuff as Flex Tape, but somehow  the “As seen on TV!” thing plastered on the Flex Tape puts me off using it, like I’m almost guaranteed to get ripped off).  New to us boat had seal leaks in the forward facing pilot house windows.  This was discovered during a thunderstorm downpour as water poured in.  Cut a strip of tape, peel the backing off, run out on deck and slap it on the seam, and presto!  No leaks.  It’s still there.  Still doesn’t leak, so why fix it? (Ok, maybe someday we will...)

Side note on the Gorilla duct tape (a different animal than above). It’s good, but it seems to not stick much at all when applied below a certain temperature (say 50ish F) and absolutely not at all if the surface is even slightly damp.  Life lessons