36 minutes ago, MelbourneA31 said:

That’s where you go back to the NOR (which is a contract between the Organising Authority & the competitors) & review the eligibility. If the Club won’t allow a non member to score first place in an event, that must be clearly stated in the NOR.

It was stated clearly which is why I noticed it! Not being able to win wasn’t an issue as I was racing two-handed against fully crewed. I had just never seen it before.

On 8/28/2020 at 5:38 PM, mccroc said:

I have been sailing out of SASC for 50 plus years, and every year people that are NOT members of SASC win trophies, including perpetual ones. The only club I have raced with that told me I was ineligible to win a trophy as a non-member was RPAYC in the early 2000s.

Also I loathe this new Rule 46 - I had an argument the other day with a former (or current) director of YA/AS and he tried to convince me that why shouldn't every crew member pay, when you have to pay to play golf etc etc. Bullshit. I want and demand to invite who I want to race with me. I am responsible for them, the boat and the race entry. Otherwise fuck off.

The insurance argument is crap too.

Now I will tell you how I really feel.

This of course is the fundamental flaw in the AS business model at present.

AS puts the clubs in opposition with owners so as to build club revenue for the benefit of AS.

As AS directors are too gutless to face direct election from individual sailors we end up with AS just running a protection racket for clubs.

And of course AS is not the body providing the facilities but they want to dictate charging for them.

Did a race yesterday at a club that does not enforce RRS 46 and does not have club membership requirements for crews.

51 keelboat entries and three divisions for a 25 mile passage race and a great day out.

We travelled 3 hours each way to race and very glad we did.

The market will decide it is just the shit to put up with the interim.

And btw, wait till you see the new AS appeal panel decision that is likely to go up later today.

The administration of the sport is truly broken.

• Like 2

Your boat can score first place but you are considered to be a casual entry and as such you can't pick up the trophy.

interesting that the ad came to me via an ex UNSW naval architecture lecturer who sends out job ads to his database of graduates on request.  So they obviously think they want someone quite technical.

41 minutes ago, SCARECROW said:

interesting that the ad came to me via an ex UNSW naval architecture lecturer who sends out job ads to his database of graduates on request.  So they obviously think they want someone quite technical.

Like I said.

If we had only followed the advice of Mr Lyons years ago!

Knowledge of ORCi and IRC is well down the list

Will not happen in AS, as it has already got rid of the states.

Olympians speak out over delays to equestrian reform

Australia's Edwina Tops Alexander on Lintea Tequila competes during the equestrian show jumping first qualifier event of the 2016 Rio Olympic Games. Picture: AFP Australia's Edwina Tops Alexander on Lintea Tequila competes during the equestrian show jumping first qualifier event of the 2016 Rio Olympic Games. Picture: AFP

Olympians including Barry Roycroft, George Sanna, Edwina Topps-Alexander and former Equestrian Australia chair Ricky MacMillan have written a letter thrashing the sport’s state branches for obstructing the ­national body’s reformation after it entered voluntary administration.

The embattled body, which had its funding removed by Sport Australia two months ago over entrenched governance issues, is in danger of liquidation after a disagreement erupted between the organisation’s administrators and five state branches over the sport’s reformation.

“As Australians … involved in equestrian sports from grassroots to elite level, we strongly support the need for reform,” the letter says. “The veto state branches have imposed is a good example of why the current structure has been in place for so long … it must be removed to make our sport the best it can be.”

It comes ahead of a special general meeting on September 15 where the six states vote to adopt administrator KordaMentha’s changes or be wound up.

In a Facebook page “Taking back the reins” launched on Sunday night, the group argues that while fairness for small states and disciplines must be protected, the state branches’ veto power goes too far and the constitution needs to be amended further.

“We have a once in a generation opportunity to reform for the benefit of all equestrian sportspeople now and into the ­future,” the group writes. “We request the state branches remove the veto power from the constitution to allow this to occur.”

The receivership of the sport, which has delivered 12 Olympic medals, including six golds, descended into open warfare last month, with five of the seven state branches issuing public memos threatening to block the administrators’ proposal, which is endorsed by Sport Australia and the Australian Olympic Committee.

At a second creditors meeting, members voted for a one vote, one member policy. However, KordaMentha in their proposed constitution have given the states the power to override the members’ wishes — a position rejected by the sport’s former Olympians. 

The saga has prompted the sport’s elite riders to speak up, as well as former Equestrian Australia director James Mathers, who wrote his own letter to the NSW state branch on Monday to call for the directors’ removal.

The letter, seen by The Australian, flags his intention to convene a general meeting of Equestrian NSW members to remove the state branch’s ­directors.

Mr Mathers said KordaMentha’s proposed constitution was a vast improvement on the old one, but didn’t go far enough. “We have a golden opportunity to get this right once and for all,” he said.

“The states are not listening to members and (are) being unreasonable. They don’t want to give up power after having unfettered control for 20 years. It’s not being run properly and members and grassroots aren’t getting value for money when we haven’t won a gold medal in 20 years.”

In order to send a team to the Tokyo Olympics, Equestrian Australia, which has received $13m in taxpayer funds over four years, will have to show it is conducting its activities in compliance with the AOC constitution, the Olympic Charter and the rules of the Federation Equestre Internationale.

So will this year's IRC certificates also be a freebie?

"Dear AMS and SMS Yacht Rating Certificate Holders,

Due to the lack of opportunity to take part in yacht racing, resulting from the current pandemic shutdown, Yacht Racing Services has decided to waive the revalidation fees for the coming sailing season (from 1 October 2020 to 30 September 2021) for all AMS and SMS certificates.

Please go to https://www.raceyachts.org/application-form/re-validate-ratings to confirm your contact details and advise of any changes to the boat. 

Your certificate will be sent to you by email shortly thereafter.

We appreciate your support of the rating systems and we wish you well in these difficult times."

"

• Like 1

So I was a bit bored this morning and decided to do some research on various countries regulations with respect to crew being members of a club and this is what I found:

RYA (Great Britain) - no prescription
YNZ (New Zealand) - designated person onboard must be a member of a club
US Sailing - no prescription
CYA (Canada) - designated person if Canadian resident must be a member of a club

So the question of AS is why are they so out of line with other countries?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TheUltimateSockPuppet said:

So I was a bit bored this morning and decided to do some research on various countries regulations with respect to crew being members of a club and this is what I found:

RYA (Great Britain) - no prescription
YNZ (New Zealand) - designated person onboard must be a member of a club
US Sailing - no prescription
CYA (Canada) - designated person if Canadian resident must be a member of a club

So the question of AS is why are they so out of line with other countries?

Difference governance between individual sailors and the peak body.

AS now just runs a protection racket for the clubs.

• Like 1

I see that the AMS rating system has flagged the 2020/2021 re validation fees. I could not imagine AS offering IRC or ORCi free re validation fees! 

They'll have a surcharge on top because of the "Extra cost" of preparing the certificate while working at home! :P

@lydia generally ladies that I have met in the past do not use such profanity. Clearly there is less demand and still the same overhead to support. 

@TheUltimateSockPuppet most likely, given our proud history of killing competitors in this country.. Perhaps we should put more controls about who, how and why participates in all levels of this sport and that AS is doing a bang up job of starting with the who. 

I see Lydia's twin sister Livia has joined in ...that will really fuck with the poor cunts head whose responsibility it is to monitor social media having regard to their social media policy that has lawyers on speed dial with rocket propelled but secret billing. :lol:

52 minutes ago, stamplicker said:

Clearly there is less demand and still the same overhead to support.

There is less demand due to their actions. Simply attempting to maintain an overhead and a loss of demand (caused by your failings) is kinda page 1 of how not to run an org.

A far more intelligent use of resources would be to correct the actions that is causing the loss of demand. 

Or maybe I'm just a simpleton. 

15 hours ago, Livia said:

AS now just runs a protection racket for the clubs.

I'm not sure if that is really true.

Whilst the clubs do benefit from the day card fees and the membership increases from people who want to crew, how many people give up being a race crew because of the "join" pressure and how many owners give up racing because they struggle to get crew.

I think it is more of a pimp and hooker arrangement.  

Hoppy

Sailing is a boom sport these days, but that growth is outside traditional clubs and any AS framework.

The dozens of mum and dad supernatant cruisers that have been passing my house ever day for the last 2 months heading north evidence that

and clubs have no relevance to these people.

Of course AS has been slow to grasp this reality unlike say the RYA which did years ago.

And to harvest this new cohort AS would need to offer direct sailor or owner membership and offer something in return which they will not.

Instead AS has chosen to try prop up failing clubs and failing club systems and not taken you the challenge of dealing with individuals

All clubs are dying save for two exceptions, very large gaming clubs which provide a social experience and very small special interest clubs where members are motivated by that narrow special interest.

8 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

I see Lydia's twin sister Livia has joined in ...that will really fuck with the poor cunts head whose responsibility it is to monitor social media having regard to their social media policy that has lawyers on speed dial with rocket propelled but secret billing. :lol:

My great grandson will be along shortly!

5 hours ago, Livia said:

All clubs are dying save for two exceptions, very large gaming clubs which provide a social experience and very small special interest clubs where members are motivated by that narrow special interest.

Or small to medium size traditional clubs where one or a few people have the passion and inspiration to make thing happen

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Rambler said:

Or small to medium size traditional clubs where one or a few people have the passion and inspiration to make thing happen

Exactly, the second category.

3 hours ago, Livia said:

Exactly, the second category.

"Narrow special interest" is perhaps too narrow.

Sometimes its just a desire to inspire people into sailing and finding a way to do that.

20 minutes ago, Rambler said:

"Narrow special interest" is perhaps too narrow.

Sometimes its just a desire to inspire people into sailing and finding a way to do that.

R

my comment was as to all clubs not just sailing clubs and as usual we are in furious agreement.

the desire to inspire people into sailing is not universal I am afraid so you do have a special interest there.

One club of which I am unfortunately a member now dictates that a members boats can only be crewed by other financial members.

1 minute ago, Livia said:

R

my comment was as to all clubs not just sailing clubs and as usual we are in furious agreement.

the desire to inspire people into sailing is not universal I am afraid so you do have a special interest there.

One club of which I am unfortunately a member now dictates that a members boats can only be crewed by other financial members.

Sounds like they do NOT have the clubs best interests at heart. A large broom needs to go thru that place, and soon

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MRS OCTOPUS said:

Having not been a member of an AS affiliated club for over 2 years,..

Out of the action for 2 years... really..that is probably where you should have stopped 8Cunts.

13 hours ago, Livia said:

Fucking huge generalisation there Lydia/Livia. 

I can pick four clubs within a bees dick of one of your own clubs that blows that fucktard theory right up. 

But you are right, them lot.. they're cunts.

..in fact fucking huge sport killing factor type cunts.

21 minutes ago, Bill E Goat said:

What a clusterfuck

2020-06 RQYS Active Again v RQYS

"If you don't like it, you can leave!". Direct quote from the Commodore at the AGM. Repeated multiple times. 

Yes, that was reported in the paper. 

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.couriermail.com.au/coronavirus/elite-yacht-club-takes-aim-at-longterm-member-over-debt-claims/news-story/2e04c5a42faeee9fa59a51e785ce38c6

AN OUTSPOKEN member who claimed Queensland’s most prestigious yacht club has misused COVID-19 rental relief has been told he can leave if he isn’t happy in an explosive annual general meeting on Tuesday night.

2 hours ago, Bill E Goat said:

What a clusterfuck

2020-06 RQYS Active Again v RQYS

Would it be too much to ask that these contentious decisions be proofread and edited for correct grammar and punctuation before being released?  The standard of the public documentation does nothing to enhance trust in the processes involved and merely makes the institution appear (more?) amateurish.

Oh, and if there are repeated objections to a particular person being appointed to protest or appeal committees, would it not be preferable to avoid appointing that person in such cases, rather than continuing to appoint him (or her) and ramming down everyone's throats a justification that is tantamount to telling the objectors to "fuck off, we'll do as we want"?

Anyone wishing to obtain my address for service of documents may PM me.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Recidivist said:

Would it be too much to ask that these contentious decisions be proofread and edited for correct grammar and punctuation before being released?  The standard of the public documentation does nothing to enhance trust in the processes involved and merely makes the institution appear (more?) amateurish.

It’s a special skill!

4 minutes ago, TheUltimateSockPuppet said:

It’s a special skill!

Yeah, a skill that only ppl who charge $400 an hour acquire. 

R

It is 12 days from the start of The Australian Sailing Qld Yachting Champions at everyones favourite yacht club.

Looks like every one has "fucked off" as they were told to do.

7 entries and one is a trailable so 6 and you need 5 to have a division for IRC.

Hope everyone turns up on the day, might be a problem

And of course the only reason for the regatta being on that weekend in competition with the Bribie Cup run by QCYC for last 69 years no longer exists.

Then again Bribie cup is approaching 40 boats I hear and over 50 are expected.

Of course no one will move the regatta.

You can't tell us what to do!

4 hours ago, SCANAS said:

Yes, that was reported in the paper. 

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.couriermail.com.au/coronavirus/elite-yacht-club-takes-aim-at-longterm-member-over-debt-claims/news-story/2e04c5a42faeee9fa59a51e785ce38c6

AN OUTSPOKEN member who claimed Queensland’s most prestigious yacht club has misused COVID-19 rental relief has been told he can leave if he isn’t happy in an explosive annual general meeting on Tuesday night.

Behind the paywall. Can you cut and paste here please?

24 minutes ago, (p)Irate said:

Behind the paywall. Can you cut and paste here please?

No sorry that’s just the first paragraph you can see. 

Elite yacht club takes aim at long-term member over debt claims

Queensland’s most prestigious sailing club has shot down what it calls “spurious” allegations made by a long-term member who criticised the use of COVID relief funds, with the Commodore telling him he could leave if he wasn’t happy at Tuesday’s AGM.

Mike Freebairn, who has accused the elite Royal Queensland Yacht Squadron of withholding taxpayer dollars to pay off massive debt, was mentioned by club boss Commodore Barry Cuneo in his final address of the evening.

“It just beggars belief how people wish to stay in a place they are not happy, especially when membership is not compulsory,” Mr Cuneo said.

“This is not the place to come and have an argument; open the door and let them leave”.

Barry Cuneo, RQYS Commodore, at Southport Yacht Club in 2019. Barry Cuneo, RQYS Commodore, at Southport Yacht Club in 2019.

Mr Cuneo earlier singled out Mr Freebairn by name, saying his contacting The Courier-Mail amounted to “a terrible situation” of “trying to rip us to pieces”.

“If we really want to go there … 99.99 per cent of members realise it’s not what the club gives to me, it’s what I give to the club.”

The stoush between Mr Freebairn, who joined the club in 1983, and management revolves around the “seabed lease” waiver granted by the State Government to marina tenants for six months from April, due to the fallout from COVID-19.

Only 20 of the 594 boats in the RQYS Manly marina are commercial – and therefore technically qualify for the government rental reprieve – but Mr Freebairn, a boat broker, wants the subsidy to be split among all berth holders to “share the load”.

He says boat owners, who support tradies including electricians, mechanics and shipwrights, are doing it tough and should not have to pay full lease fees, of at least $2400 every six months, to “prop up” the club’s 4000-plus members.

Mike Freebairn, a passionate member of the Royal Queensland Yacht Squadron for more than 35 years, is questioning the handling of government COVID relief funds. Photo: Mark Cranitch Mike Freebairn, a passionate member of the Royal Queensland Yacht Squadron for more than 35 years, is questioning the handling of government COVID relief funds. Photo: Mark Cranitch

The RQYS, which recorded an annual loss of $248,000 for the year ending April 30, has denied it is using government funds to pay down debt.

On Monday, RQYS general manager Shawn Ket told The Courier-Mail, which broke the story, the government relief was “a saving to the club” but “if we were to pass on relief in its entirety it would cost us money to administer and that would not have a positive impact on our club”.

In a strongly worded email to members ahead of the general meeting, Mr Cuneo described Mr Freebairn’s claims as “spurious” and “harmful to the squadron”.

In the letter, Mr Cuneo said individual hardship due to COVID-19 was “considered on a case-by-case basis”.

“RQYS has offered various forms of hardship support to significant numbers of members, businesses, and tenants during this crisis, including Mr Freebairn, who has to date, refused to provide the pertinent documentation to support his claim,” Mr Cuneo said.index&td_clientDebug=false&td_device=desktop&td_loadTlcCss=true

Mr Freebairn, a boat broker, shot back telling The Courier-Mail he had offered to send the squadron a letter from his accountant confirming financial hardship (including being on JobKeeper) but considered it “an invasion of privacy” to disclose specific income details.

“My interests lie with the yacht squadron, I am a passionate member of more than 35 years and I am entitled to raise my concerns about how the club is run,” Mr Freebairn said.

READ THE LETTER

Subject: Commodore’s Message to Members re: recent media coverage

You may have seen or heard allegations made in the media by current Club member Mr. Michael Freebairn, alleging that RQYS has been “secretly withholding government COVID-19 rental relief … to pay off its hefty financial debt”. This allegation is completely misleading and entirely false.

The allegation goes on to make disparaging mention that our volunteers have assisted the Club during the COVID-19 Crisis. On the contrary, a dedicated band of Volunteers immediately came to the fore without prompting, to assist our Club at a time when they were needed most. We are proud and grateful for the tremendous effort our volunteers have always made, and even more so during this the COVID crisis, in support of your Club and our Sport.

The facts are:

1. The COVID-19 crisis led to a government imposed shut down of our Sport and Hospitality functions and has already, and is predicted to further negatively impact RQYS revenue.

2. The RQYS Board has taken the decision that any relief received from Government such as JobKeeper, payroll tax or rent relief should, wherever possible, be applied to the sustainability of the Club and to our NFP purpose, that being to ensure that our Sport can emerge quickly and strongly.

3. Various forms of relief have been and will be used for this NFP purpose and have not been used to pay down debt.

4. RQYS Ltd, the Not for Profit entity, holds no debt. Other RQYS controlled Entities hold only one area of material debt, that being for our Motel. Since construction, the RQYS Motel debt has progressively been reduced from some $3m to its current level of $1.5m. TMR rent relief has not been used for debt reduction purposes and as such, the allegations made by Mr. Freebairn in the media are not only false, mischievous and misleading, but spurious and harmful to the Squadron.

5. Member, business, and tenant hardship is considered on a case-by-case basis. RQYS of course requires substantiation of hardship claims. RQYS has offered various forms of hardship support to significant numbers of members, businesses, and tenants during this crisis, including Mr. Freebairn, who has to date, refused to provide the pertinent documentation to support his claim.

6. The vast majority of loyal members has strongly supported our Club by paying subscriptions early or on time, and by volunteering. The General Committee has observed that members in all but a few isolated cases such as this one relating to Mr. Freebairn, are genuinely interested in what they can do for their Club, not what these isolated individuals might expect to take from our Club.

7. Many of the permanent and casual staff who, of necessity, were so unfortunately stood down at the commencement of the COVID crisis are returning to work, some in different roles.

8. The General Committee takes the view that financial decisions will be prioritised on the Club remaining in a strong position to enable us to continue to progress our Not for Profit purpose, that being, the delivery and support of our Sport for members. We have a responsibility to do so based on 135 years of delivering on this very purpose and we’ve already started strongly with Queensland’s first large Regatta since shut down, “Youth Week”, successfully run with over 100 sailors and their families and also of course by running Queensland’s first offshore event, the Club Marine Brisbane to Keppel Tropical Yacht Race on 31 July.

Your Commodore

Captain Barry Cuneo

Elite sailing club accused of misusing rent relief to pay debt

An exclusive Queensland yacht club is accused of secretly withholding government COVID-19 rental relief from angry marina tenants to pay off its hefty financial debt. But the club has shot down the claims as “mischievous and wrong”.

next-article&td_contentlistTitle=MORE%2520IN%2520news&td_eventKey=event10&td_group_id=related-articles-premiumQUEENSLAND’S most exclusive sailing club is accused of secretly withholding state government COVID relief from members to pay off massive debt.

The Courier-Mail understands the elite Royal Queensland Yacht Squadron is continuing to charge berth rental fees despite receiving six months’ rent relief from April for marina tenants under a $4bn government stimulus package.

Yacht racing aplenty off Surfers Coastline

Native title stoush on Straddie

Angry berth holders are calling on the 135-year-old club, whose members include the state’s biggest movers and shakers, to “be transparent” as it battles losses of $248,000 for the year ending April 30.

Mike Freebairn at the Royal Queensland Yacht Squadron marina in Manly. Picture: Mark Cranitch Mike Freebairn at the Royal Queensland Yacht Squadron marina in Manly. Picture: Mark Cranitch

Long-term member Mike Freebairn said the government’s “seabed lease” waiver should be passed to all tenants, as other clubs had done.

“It is not the squadron’s money as the landlord to keep, yet they are telling us nothing. It’s pretty distressing,” Mr Freebairn, 46, said.

Only 20 of the Manly marina’s 594 boats are commercial, but he said all boat owners supported associated trades including electricians, mechanics and shipwrights so the stimulus package should be equally distributed.

Boats at the Royal Queensland Yacht Squadron. Boats at the Royal Queensland Yacht Squadron.

“People might say, ‘You’re a boat owner, you can afford it’, but we have not been able to use our boats for months, due to restrictions. Club facilities closed, staff were laid off and volunteers have been mowing the lawns and upkeeping facilities, yet we are still paying full fees.

“We are all hurting, including the tradies we boat owners support, yet it appears the squadron is using the subsidy to offset its debt,” Mr Freebairn said.

Berth leases cost from $34,000 to $490,000 and run to 2041, with a half-yearly fees of at least $2,400 per berth.

Annual membership costs up to $1100, with life members including jewellery magnate Wallace Bishop and property developer Kevin Miller.

Property tycoon Kevin Miller is among the life members at the prestigious Royal Queensland Yacht Squadron. Property tycoon Kevin Miller is among the life members at the prestigious Royal Queensland Yacht Squadron.

A 30-year member who declined to be named said he was concerned the club was trying to profiteer from money that should go to marina tenants, and it needed to “be transparent”.

Another member said the situation was “unjust”.

Squadron general manager Shawn Ket said that allegations of misuse of government relief were “mischievous and wrong”.

“We were given a quantum of rent relief for the whole marina for six months but the department stipulated we must look after our commercial tenants, those with charter boats, game fishing boats and the like, to keep people in jobs,” Mr Ket said.

“We knew most of those 20 people, and we scoured our records to find out the others, then knocked on their hulls and gave them the good news.

“The Department of Transport and Main Roads gave all marinas rent relief, and some clubs have chosen to pass this on to members but those clubs do not have large sailing fraternities and our marina is only part of our not-for-profit organisation.

“If we were to pass on relief in its entirety it would cost us money to administer and that would not have a positive impact on our club.”

Mr Ket admitted the relief was “a saving to the club” and said it was benefiting “all 4000-plus members”, which included social, crew, school and families.

“We usually make a net profit of about $100,000 and we were heading for that until COVID, and that’s after investing literally millions in our sport and developing young sailors.”

The RQYS annual general meeting will be held on Tuesday night.

17 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Did they end up giving him some relief? 

Expelled. 

2 hours ago, Bill E Goat said:

Your Commodore

Captain Barry Cuneo

Oh Captain, my captain.

Could be worse.

One could stoop to really grubby antics like vandalism as a mechanism to force out unwanted members........:ph34r: 

• Like 3

How did the ‘20 commercial vessels’ operating out of the marina get rent relief, when commercial vessels are specifically prohibited by both the club constitution and the head lease? 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

How did the ‘20 commercial vessels’ operating out of the marina get rent relief, when commercial vessels are specifically prohibited by both the club constitution and the head lease? 

Lying fuckers.

• Like 1

Someone want to shift this to the Kabuki thread so the sectarians and follow it.

10 hours ago, Abbo said:

Expelled. 

Really?  Or just kidding?

I noticed the reference to "current Club member" and thought that was pretty ominous.

Pretty toxic atmosphere at RQ these days, glad I'm not a member!

8 hours ago, shaggybaxter said:

Could be worse.

One could stoop to really grubby antics like vandalism as a mechanism to force out unwanted members........:ph34r: 

Surely they wouldn’t stoop so low. You must have simply forgotten to tie her up.

6 hours ago, Recidivist said:

Really?  Or just kidding?

I noticed the reference to "current Club member" and thought that was pretty ominous.

Pretty toxic atmosphere at RQ these days, glad I'm not a member!

Me too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

Can you get a blow job there now? How much?

Depends on which sex or species you want doing the deed.

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

I'm assuming they already take their teeth out and that's not an extra.

Do you pay more for professionals if they can take their teeth out compared with those with a full set?

8 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

Do you pay more for professionals if they can take their teeth out compared with those with a full set?

Yep.

Nothing better than a hot 'bowperson' with false teeth.

On 8/28/2020 at 5:38 PM, mccroc said:

I have been sailing out of SASC for 50 plus years, and every year people that are NOT members of SASC win trophies, including perpetual ones. The only club I have raced with that told me I was ineligible to win a trophy as a non-member was RPAYC in the early 2000s.

Also I loathe this new Rule 46 - I had an argument the other day with a former (or current) director of YA/AS and he tried to convince me that why shouldn't every crew member pay, when you have to pay to play golf etc etc. Bullshit. I want and demand to invite who I want to race with me. I am responsible for them, the boat and the race entry. Otherwise fuck off.

The insurance argument is crap too.

Now I will tell you how I really feel.

Completely agree. Club races are funded by entry fees, sponsorship as well as bar and food sales after the race, the costs for a race day is fixed including fuel, staff, volunteer catering, insurance and what ever else there may be. There are no variable costs that i can see. 

My club is charging more for the series but putting on less races. Clubs now have got to the point where the owners/sailors are there for the clubs benefit instead of providing a service to owners.     

• Like 1

On 9/9/2020 at 10:44 AM, snoopy said:

Completely agree. Club races are funded by entry fees, sponsorship as well as bar and food sales after the race, the costs for a race day is fixed including fuel, staff, volunteer catering, insurance and what ever else there may be. There are no variable costs that i can see. 

My club is charging more for the series but putting on less races. Clubs now have got to the point where the owners/sailors are there for the clubs benefit instead of providing a service to owners.     

I never raced in the division keelboat fleet when I lived in Hobart, is a boat on the register of BYC or DSS able to win the RYCT Pennant? If not, what is the point of them paying the entry fee to participate in the RYCT races?

Edited by MelbourneA31
typo

5 hours ago, MelbourneA31 said:

I never raced in the division keelboat fleet when I lived in Hobart, is a boat on the register of BYC or DSS able to win the RYCT Pennant? If not, what is the point of them paying the entry fee to participate in the RYCT races?

We have a Combined Clubs Series (RYCT, DSS, & BYC) for the Summer. Each club has it's own pennant within the Combined races. If you elect to pay more you can be eligible for a club's pennant no matter what club you are from. The Combined Clubs Pennant has greater status than the individual ones.

In Winter clubs normally run separate pennant series. Anyone is eligible to enter and win. Last year our boat from PESC won the DSS Winter Pennant.

This year there was a Combined Clubs Winter Series. A boat from Kettering YC won Div 1 and another came second in Div 2. Our PESC boat came 3rd in Div 2.

Seems like Hobart is a bit more open-minded than some other places.

12 hours ago, (p)Irate said:

We have a Combined Clubs Series (RYCT, DSS, & BYC) for the Summer. Each club has it's own pennant within the Combined races. If you elect to pay more you can be eligible for a club's pennant no matter what club you are from. The Combined Clubs Pennant has greater status than the individual ones.

In Winter clubs normally run separate pennant series. Anyone is eligible to enter and win. Last year our boat from PESC won the DSS Winter Pennant.

This year there was a Combined Clubs Winter Series. A boat from Kettering YC won Div 1 and another came second in Div 2. Our PESC boat came 3rd in Div 2.

That makes sense. If you pay the entry fee, you should be eligible to win the race/series (and the trophy). If the host Club wants to award a trophy to the first placed boat from its own register of yachts, that is a completely seperate criteria.

13 hours ago, (p)Irate said:

(p)irate, just to clarify, I don't think there is a "Combined Club's Pennant" as such. There are individual club pennants, which you can pay an additional fee for cross entries if you like to collect triangular flags, but 1st place overall in the Combined Club's series only entitles you to a pickle dish.

I note that this season BYC has one drop in their scoring, whereas the other clubs don't.

Interestingly the under 15.2.1 of the NOR it also states that a club may also apply their own handicap for a race that can be different to the Combined Club's handicap - interesting to see how that would work.

You also have to be amazed that the RYCT asks for additional fees ($80 for AMS/IRC) to be eligible for their club pennants, whereas it does not appear that neither the DSS nor the BYC do. They still seem to have a superiority complex they need to get over if they wish to fully participate as one of the combined clubs on the Derwent!

3 hours ago, 42 South said:

(p)irate, just to clarify, I don't think there is a "Combined Club's Pennant" as such. There are individual club pennants, which you can pay an additional fee for cross entries if you like to collect triangular flags, but 1st place overall in the Combined Club's series only entitles you to a pickle dish.

I note that this season BYC has one drop in their scoring, whereas the other clubs don't.

Interestingly the under 15.2.1 of the NOR it also states that a club may also apply their own handicap for a race that can be different to the Combined Club's handicap - interesting to see how that would work.

You also have to be amazed that the RYCT asks for additional fees ($80 for AMS/IRC) to be eligible for their club pennants, whereas it does not appear that neither the DSS nor the BYC do. They still seem to have a superiority complex they need to get over if they wish to fully participate as one of the combined clubs on the Derwent!

Hi I entered through the RYCT and it was $150 for AMS IRC and PHS for their pennant? I will query it. 

My total entry fee is $600  for 12 comps!

5 hours ago, 42 South said:

just been informed that to enter the  DSS and BYC pennants you need to be a member of the respective club this year. The Royal you dont need to be a member but non ryct members have to pay an extra fee. 

Seems like a confused mess to me.

On 9/10/2020 at 7:08 PM, (p)Irate said:

Hey Hobart stalkers. As I explained to the recently retired sailing manager of the RYCT who phoned me this afternoon,  the above comment was a CELEBRATION of the system that operates in Hobart where the three big clubs cooperate by running a Combined series which attracts and welcomes a huge fleet of competitive boats and crews sailing together, not a CRITICISM.

So those weasels behind the scenes lurking and sending emails to the clubs about "complaints" made here by me should perhaps read the posts more carefully.

People responding to my comment made the criticism, not me. The lurkers should realise that while my identity is obvious, so too should be that of 42 South. I mean, his boat is named that. As for Snoopy, he's still off fighting the Red Baron.

Big thanks to Nick for phoning me. We were able to sort a lot of things out. I guess that if it was RQYS rather than RYCT (of which I'm not even  member) they might have engaged the legal team, again showing that Hobart clubs can do things as they should be done.

• Like 4

Interesting photo from the RQYS open day....

119008897_10157781208981680_7420807030878977740_o.jpg

• Like 3

12 hours ago, (p)Irate said:

Hey Hobart stalkers. As I explained to the recently retired sailing manager of the RYCT who phoned me this afternoon,  the above comment was a CELEBRATION of the system that operates in Hobart where the three big clubs cooperate by running a Combined series which attracts and welcomes a huge fleet of competitive boats and crews sailing together, not a CRITICISM.

So those weasels behind the scenes lurking and sending emails to the clubs about "complaints" made here by me should perhaps read the posts more carefully.

People responding to my comment made the criticism, not me. The lurkers should realise that while my identity is obvious, so too should be that of 42 South. I mean, his boat is named that. As for Snoopy, he's still off fighting the Red Baron.

Big thanks to Nick for phoning me. We were able to sort a lot of things out. I guess that if it was RQYS rather than RYCT (of which I'm not even  member) they might have engaged the legal team, again showing that Hobart clubs can do things as they should be done.

Do those exalted Hobart club members even know where Port Esperance *is*?

FKT

14 hours ago, Abbo said:

Interesting photo from the RQYS open day....

119008897_10157781208981680_7420807030878977740_o.jpg

They did warn you:

“This year, photographers will not just be there to provide happy memories for the future, but to take evidence of non compliance.” 

16 hours ago, (p)Irate said:

WHY?SO?SERIOUS? Don’t they know T.I.A 

23 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

They did warn you:

“This year, photographers will not just be there to provide happy memories for the future, but to take evidence of non compliance.” 

Huh?

Scan - non-compliance with what? And where is "there"?

And for us non-RQ types, who is the dude with the white sash and what does the sash signify?  Is this some sort of religous ritual?  

37 minutes ago, Recidivist said:

Huh?

And for us non-RQ types, who is the dude with the white sash and what does the sash signify?  Is this some sort of religous ritual?  

That’s the chaplain doing the blessing of the fleet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Recidivist said:

Huh?

Non compliance of social distancing etc I assume. At their open day & I assume there was a sail past & a few more sail pass(es) so reminded to keep the distance for prying eyes as Dr Young only allows exemptions for rich ppl & Tom Hanks and after his ordeals with that raft on that island & then being hijacked by pirates off Somalia he declined the invite. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, TheUltimateSockPuppet said:

Reminds me of this one...

09F09DBC-A3F2-469B-9994-4CB70A18B512.jpeg

The child is Australian Sailing

The kid has been promised salvation protection and $85k a year to keep quiet.

On 9/12/2020 at 1:08 PM, TheUltimateSockPuppet said:

Reminds me of this one...

09F09DBC-A3F2-469B-9994-4CB70A18B512.jpeg

6 hours ago, Livia said:

The child is Australian Sailing

No no, The child is a youth pathway sailor who’s parents are paying big $$$ for their dream of their children making a Olympic or oz team  after sucking up to AS and winning and dinning the AS officials and working out how to remove the competition to make their dreams come true.

All done behind closed doors of course and a secret handshake and a nod and a wink. 

Pulpit

• Like 2