2 hours ago, Recidivist said:

Oh, and what sort of a club runs racing starting at 1000, when it's an hour to the start line, but only opens the club for breakfast at 0830?  Clearly a club that gives not a shit about competitors - breakfast is for beautiful people only, no riff raff sailors.

From what I have seen the club puts on very well organised off the beach regattas, manned by hard working volunteers for all comers with stuff like on site camping etc.

That instance you mention is a clear indicator of Club now run by brain dead cunts and AS even fucking dumber sanctioning the regatta date clash.  

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

From what I have seen the club puts on very well organised off the beach regattas, manned by hard working volunteers for all comers with stuff like on site camping etc.

That instance you mention is a clear indicator of Club now run by brain dead cunts and AS even fucking dumber sanctioning the regatta date clash.  

What makes you think AS has anything to do with dates of events.

11 minutes ago, trt131 said:

What makes you think AS has anything to do with dates of events.

AS representative rang QCYC to try and get them to change the date of the Bribie Cup , even though QCYC had done the right thing and co-ordinated calendars with the other local clubs at the start of the year. 

You mean RQ rang the there puppet at As too call QCYC to change the QCYC date.

What his more funny it that is looks like AS could not even organise an Irc ct for a flag officers late entry.

No doubt that will come along later the the results re-calculated.

6 hours ago, Recidivist said:

Oh, and what sort of a club runs racing starting at 1000, when it's an hour to the start line, but only opens the club for breakfast at 0830?  Clearly a club that gives not a shit about competitors - breakfast is for beautiful people only, no riff raff sailors.

Sad!

Isn't there any food in your house?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Livia said:

What his more funny it that is looks like AS could not even organise an Irc ct for a flag officers late entry.

Sounds like neither AS nor RQYS could organise a root in a brothel.

Bloody expensive this sailing.

All that effort for a 4 race regatta that lasted 234 minutes for the big boats.

Less than 4 hours sailing for a Fast 40 and an MC 38.

Even 4 race Opti regatta goes longer.

41 minutes ago, Livia said:

Bloody expensive this sailing.

All that effort for a 4 race regatta that lasted 234 minutes for the big boats.

Less than 4 hours sailing for a Fast 40 and an MC 38.

Even 4 race Opti regatta goes longer.

Got to have something to waste money on. This thread has provided a lot of cheap (for the onlookers) entertainment so far. Do carry on.

2 days to go and I'm out of the isolation period. Some shopping and then start getting the boat ready. Of course the weather is about to go to shit but this *is* Tasmania after all...

FKT

Since the states only TP52 went up on eBay.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Livia said:

18 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

Sounds like neither AS nor RQYS could organise a root in a brothel.

They even have a fist full of $$$$$ and the madam saying give it to me and they can’t make things happen. 

The problem that both AS and RQ have is there is to many living in their own fantasy land and they think that bullying is a part of life. The broom needs to go through both and get rid of the rotten apples. The problem is that under modern laws you can’t just sack employees for doing a crap job and we the real sailors have very little say any more about our sport. 

Pulpit

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, pulpit said:

They even have a fist full of $$$$$ and the madam saying give it to me and they can’t make things happen. 

The problem that both AS and RQ have is there is to many living in their own fantasy land and they think that bullying is a part of life. The broom needs to go through both and get rid of the rotten apples. The problem is that under modern laws you can’t just sack employees for doing a crap job and we the real sailors have very little say any more about our sport. 

Pulpit

Agreed. 1 sailor, 1 vote.

20 hours ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

Isn't there any food in your house?

Jeesus Gorn, this was a state championship - surely it was foreseeable that some people may be out-of-towners!

13 hours ago, TUBBY said:

Since when has an MC 38 or even a Fast 40 been a big boat?

You should see what's classified as a big boat in the "Melbourne Big Boat" thread.

52 minutes ago, pulpit said:

Yeah, you do have a lot of say. You just don't want to actually take that step. Until you do, you get what you get.

FKT

1 hour ago, Recidivist said:

Jeesus Gorn, this was a state championship - surely it was foreseeable that some people may be out-of-towners!

Mind you this regatta doesn't have a great history of having boats from other clubs attend. They wouldn't accept my entry. Most of their own club members went to the Bribie Cup anyway.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, TUBBY said:

Since when has an MC 38 or even a Fast 40 been a big boat?

Since when you couldn't get them out of the berth except at high tide

1 hour ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Yeah, you do have a lot of say. You just don't want to actually take that step. Until you do, you get what you get.

FKT

FKT

Thats were you are wrong, I’ve stepped up for our sport for years and have felt like I’m just banging my head against a brick wall. There are some members of AS that are just corrupt and have No understanding of fair play as it’s all about federal funding and gold medals and if your not in the chosen few they don’t care. 

Mate, the problem that we have is even if we sack most of AS and the main trouble makers and start up a new national body, we will end up with the main trouble makers now in any new national body unless we can make it that all sailors can have a say. 

I don’t care what or were you or anyone else sails, I just want to see more people sailing. AS need to change its thinking for our sport to grow and in order to do that we need to change some of the management of AS. Some of then have been their way to long and are the first to put up road blocks to stop the changes or save their job.  

Pulpit

• Like 3

2 hours ago, pulpit said:

FKT

Thats were you are wrong, I’ve stepped up for our sport for years and have felt like I’m just banging my head against a brick wall. There are some members of AS that are just corrupt and have No understanding of fair play as it’s all about federal funding and gold medals and if your not in the chosen few they don’t care. 

Mate, the problem that we have is even if we sack most of AS and the main trouble makers and start up a new national body, we will end up with the main trouble makers now in any new national body unless we can make it that all sailors can have a say. 

I don’t care what or were you or anyone else sails, I just want to see more people sailing. AS need to change its thinking for our sport to grow and in order to do that we need to change some of the management of AS. Some of then have been their way to long and are the first to put up road blocks to stop the changes or save their job.  

Pulpit

Yeah, old news.

You've 3 alternatives as I see it.

1. Keep on doing the same old thing - whine on the internet, complain to officials with a track record of ignoring you and keep taking the crap.

2. Take your boats and go play in a different pond with new rules. Of course this has downsides but hey, no gain without pain. If you quit your club, is your marina berth forfeit as well? No idea.

3. Start the classic long march through the institutions. Study your club's constitutions, stack the membership by recruiting your friends, pay their dues if necessary, if proxy votes are allowed, collect them and vote them, start replacing the officers who won't listen. Works for the political parties after all.

That last requires a lot of effort over a long period and most people aren't up for it, hence the popularity and enduring entertainment of option 1.

And finally, I *do* wish you guys would STOP conflating 'sailing' with 'sailboat racing'. Sailing is doing just fine, it's you racers who have the problems. AS has no say in what I do and they get no money from me either (except maybe via tax grants that is).

FKT

2 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Yeah, old news.

You've 3 alternatives as I see it.

1. Keep on doing the same old thing - whine on the internet, complain to officials with a track record of ignoring you and keep taking the crap.

2. Take your boats and go play in a different pond with new rules. Of course this has downsides but hey, no gain without pain. If you quit your club, is your marina berth forfeit as well? No idea.

3. Start the classic long march through the institutions. Study your club's constitutions, stack the membership by recruiting your friends, pay their dues if necessary, if proxy votes are allowed, collect them and vote them, start replacing the officers who won't listen. Works for the political parties after all.

That last requires a lot of effort over a long period and most people aren't up for it, hence the popularity and enduring entertainment of option 1.

And finally, I *do* wish you guys would STOP conflating 'sailing' with 'sailboat racing'. Sailing is doing just fine, it's you racers who have the problems. AS has no say in what I do and they get no money from me either (except maybe via tax grants that is).

FKT

You forgot number 4 FKT, and the first option:

Try and work in with the club, national and world authorities to firstly identify and isolate then come up with solutions to rectify whatever breaches or abuse has occurred of the rules and policies. You do so systematically and methodically, without malice or aggro or emotion as it should never need to be personal, it's just another issue that needs throwing on the table and correcting.

This has worked for me for decades, all the way back to the Bathurst bike riots and in the automotive sporting club scene. And both of those sports had more than your fair share of ideological and emotive types, no way sailing should be any worse. The chestnut is it needs at level some modicum of integrity or decency on both sides, or failing that at least some acknowledgment that the sport is under threat if no action is taken and it's in everyone's best interest to work together to reverse the direction.

My very first exposure to this whole sordid mess was when I was asked to do something against the rules. I asked that we instead attempt to resolve the dispute in conjunction with the rules, and that prompted a litany of failures by the club and Australian Sailing in doing everything they could to not only ignore the breaches but bury them. It didn't stop there, and proceed to get uglier and uglier, all the whilst I naively kept following the proper processes. 

Suffice to say it was an abject failure , resulting in me having to move the boat out of the marina on advice from the police and insurance. It didn't stop me from trying to do the right thing and sort it internally. And when I say internally, I mean to local, national, international and even to the IOC. I can't speak for Pulpit but I have spoken to several other perfectly sane and rational humans around the country that have had even worse treatment than me. So that leaves me with the other option, belatedly realise maybe the sport is governed by self interest and a complete lack of moral integrity and common decency and take my hundreds of thousands of dollars in investment and fuck off to go find a more deserving home to sink it into.

Btw, I didn't breathe a word of this anywhere until I had AS slam the last rational door in my face and I was left with the tens of thousands of dollars in trying to repair the boat and a wife in hospital. All because I did everything that was expected of me, professionally and properly and without a shred of angst the whole way through.

So you will excuse me if I don' t give a fuck if you don't like the whining my good sir.

Cheers,

SB

• Like 8

1 hour ago, shaggybaxter said:

You forgot number 4 FKT, and the first option:

Try and work in with the club, national and world authorities to firstly identify and isolate then come up with solutions to rectify whatever breaches or abuse has occurred of the rules and policies. You do so systematically and methodically, without malice or aggro or emotion as it should never need to be personal, it's just another issue that needs throwing on the table and correcting.

This has worked for me for decades, all the way back to the Bathurst bike riots and in the automotive sporting club scene. And both of those sports had more than your fair share of ideological and emotive types, no way sailing should be any worse. The chestnut is it needs at level some modicum of integrity or decency on both sides, or failing that at least some acknowledgment that the sport is under threat if no action is taken and it's in everyone's best interest to work together to reverse the direction.

My very first exposure to this whole sordid mess was when I was asked to do something against the rules. I asked that we instead attempt to resolve the dispute in conjunction with the rules, and that prompted a litany of failures by the club and Australian Sailing in doing everything they could to not only ignore the breaches but bury them. It didn't stop there, and proceed to get uglier and uglier, all the whilst I naively kept following the proper processes. 

Suffice to say it was an abject failure , resulting in me having to move the boat out of the marina on advice from the police and insurance. It didn't stop me from trying to do the right thing and sort it internally. And when I say internally, I mean to local, national, international and even to the IOC. I can't speak for Pulpit but I have spoken to several other perfectly sane and rational humans around the country that have had even worse treatment than me. So that leaves me with the other option, belatedly realise maybe the sport is governed by self interest and a complete lack of moral integrity and common decency and take my hundreds of thousands of dollars in investment and fuck off to go find a more deserving home to sink it into.

Btw, I didn't breathe a word of this anywhere until I had AS slam the last rational door in my face and I was left with the tens of thousands of dollars in trying to repair the boat and a wife in hospital. All because I did everything that was expected of me, professionally and properly and without a shred of angst the whole way through.

So you will excuse me if I don' t give a fuck if you don't like the whining my good sir.

Cheers,

SB

So basically you went through the defined process and got nowhere at all.

Isn't that what I said (or at least implied) when I gave those options? I'd ASSUMED that you all had already tried within the rules. And got nowhere.

And frankly I don't give a fuck if you don't give a fuck about my comments. This is sailing anarchy after all, it provides entertainment at most. Though I must admit that the definition of insanity keeps coming to mind when I keep reading the same old same old with the same old end result from you guys. If you were dealing with something like this as part of your business, would you keep putting money into failure or would you change strategy?

I meant the first option to be provocative, frankly, because it's obvious that the established clubs aren't interested in changing and AS is even less interested in doing so. Your attempt to work within the rules has been an outright FAILURE.

It's time for you guys to change the rules. I gave you 2 different ways to go about it. I'd be interested in hearing different approaches, but that means something DIFFERENT, not same-old same-old.

Or you can keep posting more examples of how the clubs and AS ignore the boat owners and take them for granted, secure in the knowledge that you all won't take your boats away.

FKT

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

So basically you went through the defined process and got nowhere at all.

Isn't that what I said (or at least implied) when I gave those options? I'd ASSUMED that you all had already tried within the rules. And got nowhere.

And frankly I don't give a fuck if you don't give a fuck about my comments. This is sailing anarchy after all, it provides entertainment at most. Though I must admit that the definition of insanity keeps coming to mind when I keep reading the same old same old with the same old end result from you guys. If you were dealing with something like this as part of your business, would you keep putting money into failure or would you change strategy?

I meant the first option to be provocative, frankly, because it's obvious that the established clubs aren't interested in changing and AS is even less interested in doing so. Your attempt to work within the rules has been an outright FAILURE.

It's time for you guys to change the rules. I gave you 2 different ways to go about it. I'd be interested in hearing different approaches, but that means something DIFFERENT, not same-old same-old.

Or you can keep posting more examples of how the clubs and AS ignore the boat owners and take them for granted, secure in the knowledge that you all won't take your boats away.

FKT

No issues FKT with you being provocative at all, it's good to have differing opinions.  You missed two points;  

would you keep putting money into failure or would you change strategy? 

Already done the latter.

secure in the knowledge that you all won't take your boats away.

? Isn't that what I just wrote?

This story isn't finished yet,  if the reality TV episodes aren't to your expectations blame the scriptwriters not the unwilling actors. You should be on the water in the next couple of days, I'm sincerely glad for you this is just entertainment, I didn't ask nor want to get written into the script.

It's a shit show trust me, don't wait for it to get any better.  

2 hours ago, shaggybaxter said:

and Australian Sailing in doing everything they could to not only ignore the breaches but bury them

I have seen this happen before, in another sport.

The National body will do anything not to become involved because when it comes down to it, everything happens at club level.  Clubs have the power.

29 minutes ago, shaggybaxter said:

No issues FKT with you being provocative at all, it's good to have differing opinions.  You missed two points;  

would you keep putting money into failure or would you change strategy? 

Already done the latter.

secure in the knowledge that you all won't take your boats away.

? Isn't that what I just wrote?

This story isn't finished yet,  if the reality TV episodes aren't to your expectations blame the scriptwriters not the unwilling actors. You should be on the water in the next couple of days, I'm sincerely glad for you this is just entertainment, I didn't ask nor want to get written into the script.

It's a shit show trust me, don't wait for it to get any better.  

Yeah. And lets remember this is a hobby/lifestyle choice, not a business (for most anyway) - you should not have to apply the same disciplines.  How fucking hard does it need to be to run a boat race?

On 9/20/2020 at 1:21 PM, Livia said:

Do you have a highly paid Executive Assistant to correct your appalling spelling, usage, punctuation and grammar?

If not, then I'm happy to step in and will only charge half your hourly rate.

Sorry, just noted the time that you posted. Lunch time. Forgot to factor in the inevitable pinot effect. All good. Situation normal.

3 hours ago, shaggybaxter said:

The chestnut is it needs at level some modicum of integrity or decency on both sides, or failing that at least some acknowledgment that the sport is under threat if no action is taken and it's in everyone's best interest to work together to reverse the direction.

But the sport is not under threat.  We have a funded Olympic Team.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TUBBY said:

But the sport is not under threat.  We have a funded Olympic Team.

The Australian Institute of Sport just dropped off my nutrient rich high protein meals for the week ;) 

• Like 1

On 9/15/2020 at 8:55 PM, Jason AUS said:

Rubbish. I’ve seen you knocking down a “blood of Christ” or two in the club bar...

Oh please, it was never stuff of that quality.

• Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, grs said:

Oh please, it was never stuff of that quality.

And right on cue, here come grs to remind us he’s just a normal chap and one of the good old  boys. It must be my obvious lack of intellect and good grace that your presence makes me feel dirty and unwholesome. 

I need to go and shower. Maybe a few times. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, shaggybaxter said:

And right on cue, here come grs to remind us he’s just a normal chap and one of the good old  boys. It must be my obvious lack of intellect and good grace that your presence makes me feel dirty and unwholesome. 

I need to go and shower. Maybe a few times. 

Scrub hard Snow White  to get that purity back.

Are we still talking in riddles or are you going to explain your beef?

Meanwhile maybe just answer a couple of purity questions.

1/ Did you ignore a clubs request, and take a banned ex member in a club event?

2/ Aren't you the one that likes to select your own protest committee.

It takes 2 to Tango.

Your Whining is wearing thin.

We would love to sympathize with you but its difficult when you won't put your situation in context with FACTS and BACKGROUND.

Embarrassed maybe?

PS

Facts known.

You like slagging off GRS.

• Downvote 1

The War is over. 

Australian Sailing lost.

Stupid decisions made them irrelevant,

Get over it!

17 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

And finally, I *do* wish you guys would STOP conflating 'sailing' with 'sailboat racing'. Sailing is doing just fine, it's you racers who have the problems.

14 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Though I must admit that the definition of insanity keeps coming to mind when I keep reading the same old same old with the same old end result from you guys.

^^^^^^

I will leave that there.

3 hours ago, MRS OCTOPUS said:

...Meanwhile maybe just answer a couple of purity questions.

1/ Did you ignore a clubs request, and take a banned ex member in a club event?..

"1/ Did you ignore a clubs request, and take a banned ex member in a club event?.."

First Uber off the rank is you get all those cocks out of your gob and first cite the RULE(S) under which that Club race request/direction should be made, how and when it should be made and then the relevant protest procedures?

You can't? 

Funny about that.

76 EXCLUSION OF BOATS OR COMPETITORS
76.1 The organizing authority or the race committee may reject or cancel the entry of a boat or exclude a competitor, subject to rule 76.3,
provided it does so before the start of the first race and states the reason for doing so. On request the boat shall promptly be given the reason in
writing. The boat may request redress if she considers that the rejection or exclusion is improper.

^^^^^^^^^ Exactly so just the "how, what and when" and thats it.

BTW 76.3 doesn't apply and Definitions

Boat - A sailboat and the crew on board.

Competitor -  A person who races or intends to race in the event.

3 hours ago, MRS OCTOPUS said:

Scrub hard Snow White  to get that purity back.

Are we still talking in riddles or are you going to explain your beef?

Meanwhile maybe just answer a couple of purity questions.

1/ Did you ignore a clubs request, and take a banned ex member in a club event?

2/ Aren't you the one that likes to select your own protest committee.

It takes 2 to Tango.

Your Whining is wearing thin.

We would love to sympathize with you but its difficult when you won't put your situation in context with FACTS and BACKGROUND.

Embarrassed maybe?

PS

Facts known.

You like slagging off GRS.

We know very well that you know exactly what has happened so you do not get the benefit of the doubt about the horseshit you have posted above. You, like your mates, are just lying cunts.

Firstly the member you are referring to has not been 'banned'. They can't ban him because he has never been found guilty of anything. They simply use a point in there constitution that allows flag officers to stop a person from entering the club without having to give a reason. They in fact go out of their way to avoid using the term 'Banned' because they are smart enough to know that if they did, that members lawyers would be all over them like a rash, as would the Courier Mail.

Secondly it wasn't Shaggy that took the member out on a Wednesday race you lying stupid cunt, it was two other members that did that, and both received letters from the club for their trouble. All members agree that this is a fine use of the staff time and resources. Threatening members for taking a person out on a beer can race that has volunteered more time to the club than all three flag officers put together.

Thirdly you above all should know that the protest process has a 'conflict of interest' test that the jury themselves get to decide. So if a juror has a commercial interest with an OA, (say for example that a juror is a commercial tenant of the OA) , and the OA are one party in the protest, then the boat seeking redress has every right to raise it. It would disqualify that juror under any principal of procedural fairness in any other court (or club for that matter)

So there are the true FACTS and BACKGROUND dickwad. Have you ever considered telling the truth?

Anyway that member and Shaggy are the least of their worries as the latest member they have expelled (for asking questions) has briefed Queensland's number one attack dog solicitor and one of the states most senior QC's to represent him and the members are staring down the barrel of a 1/2 million dollar legal bill and much more if they lose. All because of a few little ego's don't like to be told. 

But it may never come to that as many influential and senior members have had enough and the winds of change are about to blow. The widly held view is that if the powers that be want to pick shit fight over having their little feeling hurt they can reach into their own pockets to fund it. Particularly in view of the record lose they have just reported. But it is to late to salvage the clubs reputation. It is the laughing stock of sailing nationally and internationally. Such a shame to see 135 years of hard work by so many go down the shitter in a few short years. But you keep cheering for them. Must make them feel great to have a twice bankrupt loser on their team.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, trt131 said:

76 EXCLUSION OF BOATS OR COMPETITORS
76.1 The organizing authority or the race committee may reject or cancel the entry of a boat or exclude a competitor, subject to rule 76.3,
provided it does so before the start of the first race and states the reason for doing so. On request the boat shall promptly be given the reason in
writing. The boat may request redress if she considers that the rejection or exclusion is improper.

Even better when the OA claims the reason that the person was excluded because they were in breach of rule 69 without that person ever having had a rule 69 complaint against them or having been found in breach of rule 69. And the reason they claim he was in breach of rule 69 was because he sailed in a Wednesday afternoon beer can race after being told he couldn't and no reason needed to be given because of the club constitution, thus excluding that club from having to comply with rule 76.1. And the AS appointed national committee ratified this. Yep that club is exempt from the RRS by its constitution. Mind boggling how broken the sport is in QLD.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

They simply use a point in there constitution that allows flag officers to stop a person from entering the club without having to give a reason

Unfortunately the RRS say the OA can exclude a competitor so long as they state the reason.  The reason does not have to be anything to do with RRS but it can be for virtually any reason.  A Protest Panel or subsequent Appeals Panel are not courts of law and can only adjudicate on the RRS.

Not saying the Protest or Appeal was incorrect just that there was no RRS broken.  However as far as the Club rules are concerned, that is another matter

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

"1/ Did you ignore a clubs request, and take a banned ex member in a club event?.."

First Uber off the rank is you get all those cocks out of your gob and first cite the RULE(S) under which that Club race request/direction should be made, how and when it should be made and then the relevant protest procedures?

You can't? 

Funny about that.

RRS (Southeast Qld edition) allows this...

'7.4 Any Flag Officer or member of the General Committee shall have power to refuse or revoke the admission of any visitor without assigning any reason therefor.'

So no reasons are required for exclusion and the RRS need not apply.

6 minutes ago, trt131 said:

Unfortunately the RRS say the OA can exclude a competitor so long as they state the reason.  The reason does not have to be anything to do with RRS but it can be for virtually any reason.  A Protest Panel or subsequent Appeals Panel are not courts of law and can only adjudicate on the RRS.

Not saying the Protest or Appeal was incorrect just that there was no RRS broken.  However as far as the Club rules are concerned, that is another matter

Yes you are right in that respect but look at the explanation by the Jury (or 'panel' as they go back and forth describing themselves as.)

'Rule 76.1 does not state or imply any qualitative test for the acceptability of the reason. However the panel considers any such reason for rejection or cancellation must not be arbitrary or capricious.'

Problem lies in that what is 'arbitrary or capricious' are in the eyes of the beholder.

'US Sailing Appeals Case 53 states: “ A Race Committee has broad authority to make such judgements as it considers necessary to ensure a race or regatta is conducted so as to follow the intentions of the organising authority, as well as the rules governing the event.”

So if the 'intentions of the OA' is to abuse their position to continue a personal vendetta, then they have every right to act this way apparently.

'World Sailing Judges Manual K.29.9 Improper Action or Omission, gives some guidance on what constitutes improper. “An improper action is doing something that is not permitted by the rules of the event (racing rules, notice of race or sailing instructions and any others). An omission is not doing something that the rules specify will be done. If a race committee or protest committee or the technical committee does or does not do something over which it has discretion or is not mandatory, it is neither an improper action, nor an omission for which redress can be given. Race management policies, jury policies, and “Advice to Competitors” are not rules. If the race committee or protest committee did not act on those policies or advice, it would not be grounds for redress.'

Interesting how all this sits alongside some fundamentals of the RRS mainly-

'BASIC PRINCIPLES SPORTSMANSHIP AND THE RULES Competitors in the sport of sailing are governed by a body of rules that they are expected to follow and enforce. A fundamental principle of sportsmanship is that when competitors break a rule they will promptly take a penalty, which may be to retire.'

In light of some incidents on boxing day that principle clearly does not apply to all members.

'FAIR SAILING A boat and her owner shall compete in compliance with recognized principles of sportsmanship and fair play.'

Note that the RRS do not require that an Organizing authority to comply 'with recognized principles of sportsmanship and fair play.' Only competitors have to.

As is clearly demonstrated by all of this.

This sport is fucked.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trt131 said:

Unfortunately the RRS say the OA can exclude a competitor so long as they state the reason. 

No they can't. This where you stop and ask one question.

Q. Why does the rule make it mandatory for a "reason" to be given and given promptly?

A. So the "reason" can be "tested" via redress which under the rule it has to be a "proper" reason.

At this point it went to shit.

1 minute ago, jack_sparrow said:

Q. Why do they make it mandatory for a "reason" to be given and given promptly?

A. So the "reason" can be "tested" via redress which under the rule it has to be a "proper" reason.

then mrs. octopus started to wonder about the festering coming from her under carriage.

11 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Q. Why does the rule make it mandatory for a "reason" to be given and given promptly?

Nope it didn't and the Appeals panel confirmed the Protest Panel's decision.  As stated earlier it can only judge on the RRS not the club's constitutional rules however draconian they may be.

12 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

The QC acting for the Club argued that the Jury did not have the jurisdiction to rule on the accusations made by the club against the ex member and that would require '4 days in a court room with cross examining of witnesses' and the jury took his 'advice' and made a non ruling. They did not allow the ex member to call witnesses nor would they adjourn the hearing so that the ex member could have legal representation after the Club showed up with a solicitor and a QC to represent them. The bundle of evidence that the Solicitor had tended to the jury before the hearing contained a completely false document (a item of correspondence that was unsigned and never sent to the ex member) and when the ex member pointed this out the head juror said that it didn't matter.

It should also be noted that the club had prohibited the same ex-member from coming onto club grounds to give evidence at another redress hearing against the club only days earlier and the club refused to guarantee his physical safety if he attended the Australian sailing building (on the club grounds) to give his evidence remotely. The day is fast approaching when the club will be dragged into a court of law on another matter and all this behavior will come out for all to see. Luckily the ex member has all copies of everything. He has be very attentive to keeping and filling of documents, records of conversations and diary keeping of events. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Luckily the ex member has all copies of everything. He has be very attentive to keeping and filling of documents, records of conversations and diary keeping of events. 

Unlike the Victorian govt.

Wait. Wrong thread

• Like 2

Octofuckwit has gone very quiet. Must be on the phone. :) 

35 minutes ago, trt131 said:

Nope it didn't and the Appeals panel confirmed the Protest Panel's decision.  As stated earlier it can only judge on the RRS not the club's constitutional rules however draconian they may be.

You believe a "reason" and or "determination" can only be directly attached to the rules governing a race for that "reason" to be considered "proper," therefore you also believe this.

Any "reason" or "determination" given OTHER than which can be directly attached to those rules is automatically null and void. 

It should have been over before it began. That didn't happen did it. 

It appears the protestor expected the Protest Panel to rule on the Club's reasons for their decisions for not allowing the ex-member to compete in the race.  They could not rule on this as it was not part of the RRS.  The protest panel can only make a determination of whether there was a valid reason for the exclusion of the ex-member from the race.  I believe the fight is with the Club constitution and not the RRS.  I also think the Club having a QC represent them at a Protest Hearing was way over the top, just because you are a QC does not mean you know the Blue Book and RRS.  The Club would have been better served if one of the Flag Officers represented the Club at the first hearing. 

Thanks LB for filling in some more of the blanks.

I still have no idea W(hy)TF  you think i am privy to any of this informatiom.

I have never set foot in RQYS and until recently had no idea of RQYS location other than in QLD. 

Google flyby sorted that one out.

Now you have stated down the speak easy route , do tell what the said member in question allegedly did to attract all this attention.

How does the Catherine Mary incident fit in.

This all started somewhere.

Where exactly.

Popcorn ready...... check.

36 minutes ago, MRS OCTOPUS said:

I have never set foot in RQYS and until recently had no idea of RQYS location other than in QLD. 

Now you have stated down the speak easy route , do tell what the said member in question allegedly did to attract all this attention.

Where exactly.

The said ex member said and I quote :) 'Anyone who has a collision on a Wednesday afternoon, non spinnaker fun race is a Muppet, regardless of who was in the right' on the club facebook page. One of the owners good mates (the one that was later expelled from the club for assaulting a women while armed) complained on behalf of the rest of the crew (but interestingly did not mention the owner in his complaint) by writing a long and rambling complaint letter, most of which was his own sailing CV.

So the ex member was charged with breaching the 'Squadron social media policy' while the flag officers mates waged a facebook war against the ex member with impunity.  

The ex member of course had previously been very vocal in his criticism of the handling of the Rumble in Rocky (again involving the same crew.), the flag officers starting a race in competition with the clubs own signature offshore race, the lack of promotion and support for the clubs signature race, the abortive attempt to acquire land on North Stradbroke island (that cost the club well over $100K and resulted in a huge conflict with both the residents and the indigenous population on the island) and the financial reporting to the members. Those that brought the complaint against the ex member were well aware that he is highly respected and popular (from his years of service to the club) and was being encouraged by many to stand against the in coming commodore in the election.

Rather than be expelled from the club he had been a member of for 30 years, he choose to resign and that is when the games began. That Muppet comment must have really stung. So much so that they have spent 10's of thousands of dollars to stop him sailing or servicing his clients at the club and have sent threatening  solicitors letters to many of the ex members friends for inviting him to sail on their boats.

When one member simply asked for some questions to be answered, the person in question called the police and claimed he was being assaulted. 

I can tell you for nothing that a group of passed Commodores and senior long term members are VERY pissed with the endless bad publicity, the terrible financial result and the division in the club. More members sailed in another clubs regatta last weekend than did at the clubs own state titles that only attracted two boats from another club. The latest cock-up (releasing the private information about 100's of senior members , including their private phone numbers, email and their home addresses) was the last straw, particularly when the club tried to at first claim it wasn't that serious. The press have had a field day with it and it is being investigated by the privacy commission. 

They have recently expelled a member for talking to the press about the club not passing on to the berth holders the covid rent relief that the state government gave them and have given him a concerns notice.

This is the way they roll.

As one member posted on the club facebook page-

Thomas had never seen such a mess Blank Template - Imgflip

And contry to your claims the ex member has never abused a juror. He did correct one when he posted an incorrect statement on the facebook page and the gutless little wanker threw a hissy fit and had him blocked from the page and made an anonymous complaint that he never had the stones to put his cowardly name too. So the ex member was supposed to answer an anonymous complaint that they would not even show him (in breach of their own member protection policy)

They denied the ex member the right to representation at his hearing by the lawyer of his choice (in breach of their own constitution)

They do what ever they want behind the walls of that club, and who could be fucked wasting time and money dragging them out behind those walls they hide behind and into a court of law? Well I can ashore you that the member who they just expelled can be fucked and it is all going to come out in the wash. And the Jorno from the Courier Mail will be sitting in the front row and writing everything down. The highlight will be the video of the Rumble. That should be great entertainment for those that enjoy the evening news.

This, is going to be great.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

The said ex member said and I quote :) 'Anyone who has a collision on a Wednesday afternoon, non spinnaker fun race is a Muppet, regardless of who was in the right' on the club facebook page. One of the owners good mates (the one that was later expelled from the club for assaulting a women while armed) complained on behalf of the rest of the crew (but interestingly did not mention the owner in his complaint) by writing a long and rambling complaint letter, most of which was his own sailing CV.

So the ex member was charged with breaching the 'Squadron social media policy' while the flag officers mates waged a facebook war against the ex member with impunity.  

The ex member of course had previously been very vocal in his criticism of the handling of the Rumble in Rocky (again involving the same crew.), the flag officers starting a race in competition with the clubs own signature offshore race, the lack of promotion and support for the clubs signature race, the abortive attempt to acquire land on North Stradbroke island (that cost the club well over $100K and resulted in a huge conflict with both the residents and the indigenous population on the island) and the financial reporting to the members. Those that brought the complaint against the ex member were well aware that he is highly respected and popular (from his years of service to the club) and was being encouraged by many to stand against the in coming commodore in the election.

Rather than be expelled from the club he had been a member of for 30 years, he choose to resign and that is when the games began. That Muppet comment must have really stung. So much so that they have spent 10's of thousands of dollars to stop him sailing or servicing his clients at the club and have sent threatening  solicitors letters to many of the ex members friends for inviting him to sail on their boats.

When one member simply asked for some questions to be answered, the person in question called the police and claimed he was being assaulted. 

I can tell you for nothing that a group of passed Commodores and senior long term members are VERY pissed with the endless bad publicity, the terrible financial result and the division in the club. More members sailed in another clubs regatta last weekend than did at the clubs own state titles that only attracted two boats from another club. The latest cock-up (releasing the private information about 100's of senior members , including their private phone numbers, email and their home addresses) was the last straw, particularly when the club tried to at first claim it wasn't that serious. The press have had a field day with it and it is being investigated by the privacy commission. 

They have recently expelled a member for talking to the press about the club not passing on to the berth holders the covid rent relief that the state government gave them and have given him a concerns notice.

And contry to your claims the ex member has never abused a juror. He did correct one when he posted an incorrect statement on the facebook page and the gutless little wanker threw a hissy fit and had him blocked from the page and made an anonymous complaint that he never had the stones to put his cowardly name too. So the ex member was supposed to answer an anonymous complaint that they would not even show him (in breach of their own member protection policy)

They denied the ex member the right to representation at his hearing by the lawyer of his choice (in breach of their own constitution)

They do what ever they want behind the walls of that club, and who could be fucked wasting time and money dragging them out behind those walls they hide behind and into a court of law? Well I can ashore you that the member who they just expelled can be fucked and it is all going to come out in the wash. And the Jorno from the Courier Mail will be sitting in the front row and writing everything down. The highlight will be the video of the Rumble. That should be great entertainment for those that enjoy the evening news.

Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, trt131 said:

It appears the protestor expected the Protest Panel to rule on the Club's reasons for their decisions for not allowing the ex-member to compete in the race.  They could not rule on this as it was not part of the RRS.  The protest panel can only make a determination of whether there was a valid reason for the exclusion of the ex-member from the race.  I believe the fight is with the Club constitution and not the RRS.  I also think the Club having a QC represent them at a Protest Hearing was way over the top, just because you are a QC does not mean you know the Blue Book and RRS.  The Club would have been better served if one of the Flag Officers represented the Club at the first hearing. 

The reason that club gave for rejecting his entry was that he was in breach of rule 69. So they tried to turn a redress hearing into a rule 69. They have never had the stones to try to actually bring a 69 against him for two reasons - He isn't in breach and two, as a professional sailor, he would throw the house at them to defend it and all this shit will come out.

21 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

I hope you don't mind me for plagiarising but

Fuck, I love this place

• Like 4

3 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

You believe a "reason" and or "determination" can only be directly attached to the rules governing a race for that "reason" to be considered "proper," therefore you also believe this.

3 hours ago, trt131 said:

It appears the protestor expected the Protest Panel to rule on the Club's reasons for their decisions for not allowing the ex-member to compete in the race.  They could not rule on this as it was not part of the RRS.  The protest panel can only make a determination of whether there was a valid reason for the exclusion of the ex-member from the race

This is like pulling fucking teeth. 

1. "They could not rule on this as it was not part of the RRS."

Yes we have already dealt with scope of any determination on what constitutes "proper" being limited to the rules of the race or foundation material.

2. "The protest panel can only make a determination of whether there was a valid reason.."

Now you say the Protest Panel CAN make a determination on what constitutes to be a "proper" RC Direction under the rule. 

Which one is it???

3. "It appears the protestor expected the Protest Panel to rule on the Club's reasons."

No the protester expected and wanted the protest withdrawn by the RC OR declared invalid by the Protest Panel, albeit retrospectively as the race has been run.

As to the Protest Panel outlining why it wasn't valid or a "proper" direction for the RC to give, that is a by-product of any ruling, of which the protester has no interest in except in an appeal.

3 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

.....therefore you also believe this.

Any "reason" or "determination" given OTHER than which can be directly attached to those rules is automatically null and void. 

3 hours ago, trt131 said:

I also think the Club having a QC represent them at a Protest Hearing was way over the top, just because you are a QC does not mean you know the Blue Book and RRS.  The Club would have been better served if one of the Flag Officers represented the Club at the first hearing. 

4. This is a continuation of 1. 

Any ruling/determination by the Protest Panel even making no ruling leaves it as a VALID PROTEST albeit left open.

Councel representing the RC said as good as that being the Protest Panel couldn't rule or make any determination on what constitutes "proper". Naturally representing the RC he forgot to mention that a ruling of invalid WAS entirely within the RC's scope.

By your own words the RC's Direction was dead in the water and should have been declared invalid, which is a decision entirely within the scope of the Protest Panel. 

So you either can't make your mind up or are having a bob each way. 

Putting aside the RO, RC and Protest Panel being all effectively the one entity, that then takes us to a RC Direction and Protest Panel determination getting more fluid by the day and that should have been withdrawn or declared invalid, making its way to appeal. 

The next box of fucking monkeys.

18 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

should have been withdrawn or declared invalid, making its way to appeal.

You can only appeal the decision of the protest not an invalid protest or one that is withdrawn.

1 hour ago, TheUltimateSockPuppet said:

Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

That widely misattributed saying does have nautical/navigation roots and not just one of the moral compass needing adjusting. 

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

Attributed to Edmund Burke a 18th century Irish statesman saying "for good men to associate to oppose the cabals of bad men" Also included by John F Kennedy in a speech in 1961 when he was banging Marilyn. Reality is Burke didn’t say it first, in its closest form as that was by John Stuart Mill, who said in 1867: “Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” 

"To compass their ends" I take it he means; 'bad cunts need a compass shoved up their arse.'

In this particular case this model comes to mind and includes a complementary set of balls.

IMG_20200922_175219.jpg

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

..that should have been withdrawn or declared invalid, making its way to appeal. 

9 minutes ago, trt131 said:

You can only appeal the decision of the protest not an invalid protest or one that is withdrawn.

That is why the words "that should" are there. Your getting there. 

4 hours ago, MRS OCTOPUS said:

Where exactly.

You can’t claim that LB is wrong without any of your own evidence & then turn around say you aren’t from SE QLD & have no knowledge. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MRS OCTOPUS said:

Where exactly.

For someone who has never set foot in RQ, you do have a lot to say - all of which sums you up pretty well. Irrelevant.

Thanks for the distraction. I’m on the  8th day of moving from storage, and repacking and sorting boxes prior to a transcontinental truck ride. Even had a day to un-rig Lioness and stow her support supplies below. 

makes my adventure in finding a sailboat friendly Carolina  boat yard pale into ennui 

9 hours ago, trt131 said:

In this case the OA asked AS for a national jury - for exactly that reason- so that there was no right of appeal. So 3 jurists were flown up from interstate for one night to hear the appeal. The not inconsiderable cost of this (flights accomodation meals ect) was shared between the club and AS. Yep folks that is your membership and capitation dollars at work. 

As we often say YCMTSU.

11 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

That widely misattributed saying does have nautical/navigation roots and not just one of the moral compass needing adjusting. 

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

Attributed to Edmund Burke a 18th century Irish statesman saying "for good men to associate to oppose the cabals of bad men" Also included by John F Kennedy in a speech in 1961 when he was banging Marilyn. Reality is Burke didn’t say it first, in its closest form as that was by John Stuart Mill, who said in 1867: “Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” 

"To compass their ends" I take it he means; 'bad cunts need a compass shoved up their arse.'

In this particular case this model comes to mind and includes a complementary set of balls.

IMG_20200922_175219.jpg

Thank’s Jack - I thought if I used the original quote that certain underperforming 8 legged creatures wouldn’t understand it so went with the popularised version!

As an ex member who misspent his youth sailing sharpies at RQ, I find this endlessly entertaining. I can't wait for the movie

27 minutes ago, Livia said:

Mini series, too long for a movie.

Oh at least three seasons worth of material for a decent scriptwriter - who will play the leading roles?

I'll start:

Ricky Gervais as the Club Manager

Charlie Sheen as the Sailing Manager

Justin Bieber as the AS representative

Woody Allen as a formerly well respected member who has a chair fetish

Carl Weathers as the defending Rumble in Rocky champion

Sly Stallone as the Rumble in Rocky challenger

26 minutes ago, TheUltimateSockPuppet said:

Oh at least three seasons worth of material for a decent scriptwriter - who will play the leading roles?

I'll start:

Ricky Gervais as the Club Manager

Charlie Sheen as the Sailing Manager

Justin Bieber as the AS representative

Woody Allen as a formerly well respected member who has a chair fetish

Carl Weathers as the defending Rumble in Rocky champion

Sly Stallone as the Rumble in Rocky challenger

You'll need someone who doesn't know his left from his right to play the role of tactician.

1 minute ago, Abbo said:

You'll need someone who doesn't know his left from his right to play the role of tactician.

That's easy - Tom Cruise I've always thought we was a total Wally

I've just managed to sign up a couple more stars for the line-up

Jack Nicholson as barrister for LB15

and Tom Hanks as LB15

with a guest appearance by Mrs Octopus as Chairman of the Jury

20 hours ago, LB 15 said:

The said ex member said and I quote :)

Thank you LB for your candor.

So why was the original Catherine Mary/ Beachball thread scrubbed?

7 minutes ago, Xtasea said:

What's  the inspiration/back story for some of the roles ?

image.png.a96e3dc3071e3fc425a61852d784314d.png

Just trying to match perceived personalities and characters as best as possible; after all this is SA.

18 hours ago, SCANAS said:

You can’t claim that LB is wrong without any of your own evidence & then turn around say you aren’t from SE QLD & have no knowledge. 

You  really have comprehension problems, don't you  cupcake.

SA is for entertainment, LB ( Anarchy biggest troll/bully) is my plaything. If it wasn't for your" loose" fingers early on  my attention would have wavered long ago.  

Wackosparrowtwitts' clanger certainly piqued my interest and Shaggy being evasive didn't help.

Fun times for all.

PS 

this thread pretty well sums up, why clubs are dying,, and the people that frequent them.

Can't believe AS and RQYS is worth 27 pages and some of the players are lawyering up.

FFS

Life is too short

22 hours ago, MRS OCTOPUS said:

Where exactly.

20 hours ago, LB 15 said:

So LB, 

The question has to be asked. The said member who was just expelled and “can be fuck” doing something about that shit fight. 

Are they just going to be dealing with the shit fight at the club or will they also be dealing with the Shit fight with AS that they been involved in at the club ?

Pulpit

31 minutes ago, MRS OCTOPUS said:

SA is for entertainment, LB ( Anarchy biggest troll/bully) is my plaything. If it wasn't for your" loose" fingers early on  my attention would have wavered long ago.  

Wackosparrowtwitts' clanger certainly piqued my interest and Shaggy being evasive didn't help.

Fun times for all.

PS 

this thread pretty well sums up, why clubs are dying,, and the people that frequent them.

Can't believe AS and RQYS is worth 27 pages and some of the players are lawyering up.

FFS

Life is too short

That’s exactly what I thought you would say, nothing. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, pulpit said:

So LB, 

The question has to be asked. The said member who was just expelled and “can be fuck” doing something about that shit fight. 

Are they just going to be dealing with the shit fight at the club or will they also be dealing with the Shit fight with AS that they been involved in at the club ?

Pulpit

Fix the first problem and the 2nd will go away. AS will still be a fuck up, but at least they will no longer be contributing to RQYS's fuck ups.

1 hour ago, MRS OCTOPUS said:

Thank you LB for your candor.

So why was the original Catherine Mary/ Beachball thread scrubbed?

Dunno - I didn't start it. No doubt there were threats involved.

1 hour ago, MRS OCTOPUS said:

Fun times for all.

PS 

FFS

Life is too short

I am your plaything? Is that why you follow me around humping my leg in every thread? That explains it.

I just thought you were a cunt.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rawhide said:

As an ex member who misspent his youth sailing sharpies at RQ, I find this endlessly entertaining. I can't wait for the movie

WTF? Sailing Sharpies was like the 1960's. If you can remember it you weren't there. :) 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, pulpit said:

So LB, 

Pulpit

In a defo anything and everything can wind up on the table. It is a game for very rich people (or those spending other peoples money) and everything in ones past is fair game. Defo's come down to fact, malicious intent,  the audience that it was published to (and by) and the actual harm done to a persons or organisations reputation, and any financial loss as a result of damage done to a reputation. Most defo's arise from feelings getting hurt in things like corporate body meetings , and damages run into the hundreds of dollars. :) Not so much the legal costs however and if a defo gets to court (they rarely do as after a few years and a couple of hundred k in legal bills most people get sick of it and settle) but if they do each side is looking at between 200K and 1/2 a million$. 

The courts see them as a complete waste of the courts time and resources. Very few are on the scale of Alan Jones calling the Wagners murderers.

For example if I was to, say, make a statement that like 'Mrs Octopuss is a cunt', and if everyone already thought he was a cunt then there is no damage to his reputation and so no compensation is necessary. All I would have to do is get 10 people who saw the statement to give evidence that, yes, they already thought he was a cunt and LB's statement made no difference to their opinion. Then it comes down to the persons 'character' and of demonstrating that he is in fact a cunt and that is where people should think long and hard about every little dirty secret from their past before embarking on that path. Remember if Mrs Octocunt wanted to sue me for defo, it falls to him to prove that he has been harmed. All I would have to do is demonstrate that he is a cunt. Bear in mind that it is the applicant, not the defendants character that winds up being on trial.

Of course in the case of a defo on SA, Mrs Octopuss would have to get Scooter to hand over my IP address. Good luck with that.

I don't think the court will accept the case of Mrs Octopuss v LB15.

The other thing to bear in mind about defos is while the courts hate them, the press love them and every little sordid detail from someones past tendered in court becomes fodder for the evening news. This would be particularly risky if, for instance, Mrs Octopuss had been the subject of several recent newspaper stories and a well respected Jorno had a boner for them already and could sniff a much bigger feature story showing that Mrs Octopuss was part of a toxic and bullying culture. 

But of course this is all hypothetical.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Xtasea said:

What's  the inspiration/back story for some of the roles ?

image.png.a96e3dc3071e3fc425a61852d784314d.png

Jim Henson

Jim Henson, the man behind the Muppets, began working as a puppeteer in college, creating characters like Kermit the Frog. He worked as a producer on Sesame Street, a popular kids' show that launched in 1969, and created The Muppet Show in 1976.