14 hours ago, TheUltimateSockPuppet said:

Any handicap system that uses an algorithm to find a time correction factor is prone to someone working out how to get around it and get a better rating.

And influence from stakeholders 

2 hours ago, SCANAS said:

And influence from stakeholders 

Not from AMS. Previous posters have assured us that no-one builds a boat to an AMS rating. But give it time. Once AMS completes it's world domination of yacht rating and then figures out a new acronym for AMS, things could change.

That doesn't mean one does not optimise a boat for same rating....or any rating

<edit> sorry Abbo  - off topic continuation </edit>

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

Is this what Shaggy wore to his PC?

fdfffmnkdhfgmcghdkPgkgihjgonmfjjgeyEva.j

Hey TDK, do tell us all exactly what it was you were looking for, and why, when you found this?

• Like 1

World Sailings Racing Rules committee in agreement in Bermuda that in future all protests should be heard by a panel of twelve expert lawyers flown in from South East Queensland.

36D6D553-6226-4BD6-805E-AA76D7895F70.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheUltimateSockPuppet said:

World Sailings Racing Rules committee in agreement in Bermuda that in future all protests should be heard by a panel of twelve expert lawyers flown in from South East Queensland.

Gold just gold

2 hours ago, TheUltimateSockPuppet said:

Great photo shopping skills there, covering all those "Red" pants!!!!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TheUltimateSockPuppet said:

Did they formally remove that troublesome port/starboard bull shit? 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Hey TDK, do tell us all exactly what it was you were looking for, and why, when you found this?

I googled "Lonely Boy 15 in red shorts" and got this

• Like 1

I google ‘offshore races hoppy has done’ and got this...

No results found

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheUltimateSockPuppet said:

Mate you got it wrong.

World Sailing Racing Rules Committee voting to bestow lifetime achievement awards on the members of  Queensland Yachting Championships Jury and Keppel Race Appeal Panel

for

a. deciding that an organizing authority (read our tax collector) can throw someone out of participation in the sport without a hearing (because no one like dissent and we at World Sailing do not want to be held accountable for anything)

b. upholding a decision of our tax collector that a race officer walking around a bar at 0200hrs is an open race office (because that will cut down the number of protests in offshore races to almost nil and we can still have juries that get to go to offshore race finishes in nice places and have nothing to do)

therefore upholding the finest traditions of World Sailing.

• Like 3

Apparently they limited presentations to ‘6 words or less’. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

No results found

so both search results are 100% accurate..

1 minute ago, The Dark Knight said:

so both search results are 100% accurate..

Really? Would you like me to PM you a photo of me wearing only my Reg Grundys so you can compare? Hopster, you searched for and found that photo and now you have to wear it.

bwahahahahahahahaha. 

1 minute ago, LB 15 said:

Really? Would you like me to PM you a photo of me wearing only my Reg Grundys so you can compare? Hopster, you searched for and found that photo and now you have to wear it.

bwahahahahahahahaha. 

actually your search was wrong

https://www.orcv.org.au/~orcv/king-island-blog?start=30

The runners up offered some great stuff too. The harrowing tail of Hoppy the Rabbit's journey to King Island is full of drama and intrigue: 

It seems that I crewed on Yoko 

More importantly Peter 'Hoppy' Hopkins has done 26 Sydney to Hobart.

And the last Mr Hopkins is a very wise and respected man who runs Marine and Safety Tasmania.

Thank goodness.

So not you then

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

No, just that port tack monohulls have rights over starboard tack multihulls

At least in the southern hemisphere.

And that new change is retrospective to 1 January 2019

33 minutes ago, lydia said:

Mate you got it wrong.

World Sailing Racing Rules Committee voting to bestow lifetime achievement awards on the members of  Queensland Yachting Championships Jury and Keppel Race Appeal Panel

for

a. deciding that an organizing authority (read our tax collector) can throw someone out of participation in the sport without a hearing (because no one like dissent and we at World Sailing do not want to be held accountable for anything)

b. upholding a decision of our tax collector that a race officer walking around a bar at 0200hrs is an open race office (because that will cut down the number of protests in offshore races to almost nil and we can still have juries that get to go to offshore race finishes in nice places and have nothing to do)

My bad :)

Then it's a free for all on the equator?

25 minutes ago, lydia said:

And the last Mr Hopkins is a very wise and respected man who runs Marine and Safety Tasmania.

Thank goodness.

So not you then

not likely.... 

1 hour ago, lydia said:

Mate you got it wrong.

for

Gold....well played mate! You sir have won yourself a fine pair of red shorts! They will be posted shortly from the global red short distribution center located in Manly QLD.

• Like 2

The guy in the foreground has just googled '69'. 

5 hours ago, LB 15 said:

At least in the southern hemisphere.

And that new change is retrospective to 1 January 2019

• Like 1

Take a trip to the front page everyone

Now that is funny

2 hours ago, LB 15 said:

No wrong again

that bloke is thinking “ fuck I am not putting my hand up some arsehole might take a photo and it will get put on the front page that fucking sailing anarchy”

2 hours ago, LB 15 said:

The bloke in the foreground in the only one in room directly elected by sailors.

he can’t vote of course

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Bloke in the foreground thinking wtf , it has taken three hours to have vote on turning the air conditioning down

There are too many chicks in this room - all in favour.....?

• Like 4

9 hours ago, TheUltimateSockPuppet said:

All in favour of having the next meeting in a more expensive and out of the way place

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Bill E Goat said:

All in favour of having the next meeting in a more expensive and out of the way place

Why is it that the bloke with the I pad and the other bloke with the I Mac both have black screens

must be the secret world sailing voting system at work again

2 hours ago, lydia said:

Always been of the opinion that steel boats have rights over everything else in the same tonnage class myself..... of course I'm usually going so slowly that it's not much of an issue and it'd be too embarrassing for the other party to ever make a complaint.

Lotta people out on the Channel last night.

FKT

They say World sailing is a broad church...

Image result for scott morrison church

• Like 1

On 10/29/2019 at 12:14 PM, lydia said:

That might be a some big culture to change

pink shorts.jpg

Image result for red shorts outfit

Related image

Image result for fat guy in red shorts

48 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

They say World sailing is a broad church...

Image result for scott morrison church

As a church, they obviously speak in tongues when it comes to reading the RRS.

35 minutes ago, lydia said:

More likely the Bible according to Alice.

FKT

2 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Always been of the opinion that steel boats have rights over everything else in the same tonnage class myself..... of course I'm usually going so slowly that it's not much of an issue and it'd be too embarrassing for the other party to ever make a complaint.

Lotta people out on the Channel last night.

FKT

I used to have one of the shittiest looking boats in the fleet -- always loved to come into a busy mark yelling 'old boat!'

2 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Image result for red shorts outfit

Related image

Image result for fat guy in red shorts

Top picture:

How Aust Sailing delgates in  Bermuda see themselves.

Bottom picture:

Ah well!

1 hour ago, lydia said:

RRS 76.1

The rule to rule them all.

2 hours ago, lydia said:

Yes unfortunately for cult like Clubs/PC's who use the RRS Book for self-flagellation, whackjob rulings become the norm.

unnamed (2).gif

• Like 2

JS, you can't put video of the club opening day on the internet.

It is breach of the club social media policy.

Off to the GC for you!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

More likely the Bible according to Alice.

FKT

"Alice? Who the fuck is Alice?"

As Sock had pointed out on the 15 minute thread we have completely forgot about the Airlie Beach protests and threats.

Another victory for the standing of the sport in Queensland.

On 10/31/2019 at 3:31 AM, TheUltimateSockPuppet said:

Maybe they are voting on the following.

Gentlemen I put the resolution that RRS 69 be amended by additional of a subparagraph RRS 69.4 namely " where one competitor allegedly calls a second competitor a muppet then that first competitor is banned from the sport for life without a hearing"

All in favour?

Passed.

Thank you everyone, that will fix that pesky problem in Queensland and stop hurt feelings.

I thank the delegate from Sailing Australia for bringing this blight on the sport to our attention.

7 minutes ago, lydia said:

...." where one competitor allegedly calls a second competitor a muppet then that first competitor is banned from the sport for life without a hearing"...

...that will fix that pesky problem in Queensland and stop hurt feelings.

Won't Muppets be up in arms over that slur?

WTF is the Octopussy?

15 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

Ohh Sorry your meant the poster Mrs Octopus 

4214304678_deca749d09_b.jpg

You do clear your search history regularly I hope.

26 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

You do clear your search history regularly I hope.

anyway, do you recognise him from the club, or do they all look like that photo?

On 10/31/2019 at 3:31 AM, TheUltimateSockPuppet said:

Or this:

Gentlemen I put the resolution that the World Sailing Officials Conduct Code (Eligibility to be an juror) be amended to include the requirement that applicants be fit and proper persons to hold such a position.

Those for?   One (in the black suit)

Those against? Twelve

Motion defeated

^^^^ This is actually WS voting for an Optimist sailor to be awarded the 2019 male Rolex World Sailor of the Year......seriously.....Marco Gradoni...look it up!!

How seriously disconnected from the real sailing world do you need to be for a kid to be not only nominated, but win what is supposed to be a prestigious award in our sport....

The desperation of these people is palpable......WS struggles for relevance and so goes to the emotion of "youth & the future" for this award in an attempt to find a common support base. The result? Incomprehensible...bringinging further into question the ability of this organisation to reflect on and respond to the needs of its participation base...fucking sad.

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, Couta said:

^^^^ This is actually WS voting for an Optimist sailor to be awarded the 2019 male Rolex World Sailor of the Year......seriously.....Marco Gradoni...look it up!!

How seriously disconnected from the real sailing world do you need to be for a kid to be not only nominated, but win what is supposed to be a prestigious award in our sport....

The desperation of these people is palpable......WS struggles for relevance and so goes to the emotion of "youth & the future" for this award in an attempt to find a common support base. The result? Incomprehensible...bringinging further into question the ability of this organisation to reflect on and respond to the needs of its participation base...fucking sad.

The World Sailing Awards celebrate outstanding achievement and exceptional contributions to the sport of sailing. It is the social highlight of World Sailing's Annual Conference and recognises success throughout the sport.

Gradoni, at 15 years old, was crowned Rolex World Sailor of the Year for his success in the Optimist class, having won three consecutive World Championship titles, the first sailor to ever achieve this result.

40 minutes ago, Couta said:

The desperation of these people is palpable......WS struggles for relevance and so goes to the emotion of "youth & the future" for this award in an attempt to find a common support base.

Youth must be served, etc. etc. :rolleyes:

We have a 16-year-old high school dropout dictating global economic policy, so why not a 15-year-old Opti kid winning Sailor of the Year? At least he’s actually accomplished something (three-time champion).

Good old Word Sailing. YCMTSU.

6_jesus-wept.jpg

Any chance Marco Gradoni could drop Greta home in his Opti? Her Nobel prize won't take up much room.

I guess they gave it to him because with the extinction due to begin in only 14 months none of us will live long enough to see him win a Gold Medal or an AC. WS are just bowing to the 'I want it all now' generation.

29 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Any chance Marco Gradoni could drop Greta home in his Opti? Her Nobel prize won't take up much room.

Regrettably, Marco can't commit to picking up Greta, his mother requires him to come home and clean up his room. 

More from the WS conference. God I wish I could photo shop. The opportunities for what is up on that screen are endless. 

C749880C-AF13-4D86-B00D-67A479A643D9.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

Ohh Sorry your meant the poster Mrs Octopus 

4214304678_deca749d09_b.jpg

So hoppy, 

How long did this take you to make in therapy ? 

You knitting skills look to have improved, I bet your your support therapy workers  are very pleased with your progress.

Pulpit

20 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

More from the WS conference. God I wish I could photo shop. The opportunities for what is up on that screen are endless. 

If I read the screen right, it is headed "Which is the best Rule? Depends on what is racing."

No wonder half of them are going "not this shit again"

27 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

169804270_LBandWS.jpg.1d58c37ae176546e8088d0e397b2e8ce.jpg

Listen to me you pack of Muppets...

Golf clap.

How can you be so silly to only ask for a Million? You cannot support any freeloaders yachting programs or social needs with such a small amount. 

4 hours ago, Couta said:

Couta,

The problem AS and WS have is they are very happy to favour a few for their own interests and stuff the rest. Even if the other sailors are as good or better sailors than the ones that they are supporting. 

Back a few years ago, I’ve seen AS act on others personal interests and hound a 13 year old after a nationals  until  the father of this child threatened AS with legal action. This child dropped out of the sport 

I’ve seen AS, support parents from the lota fishing club exclude a child from nationals because they thought their child was a far better sailor and they were drinking red wine with a AS employee and I child missed out on Sailing. 

I’ve even been shafted by AS, a parent who would stop at nothing for his child to win and would openly push the rules and cross the line of fair play, didn’t like it when he was told to play by the rules. All AS did was side with the  questionable parent because they had money and I was pushed aside. A interesting side note is the AS employee in all or these cases is a National  judge / jury member. 

So WS giving in to a parent for their own interests, it’s not surprising. It just goes to show how out of touch WS and AS are. 

Pulpit

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Which rule is best - depends on what is racing!

Clearly  this is the South Queensland Rules session.

which rule is best depending on who is racing or wants to race

53 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

I can never work out you need name plaques at conferences like these

it is not like different people ever get invited to a seat at the table

All respect to GRS btw

the pics are getting lifted from his Facebook page and he is still posting and letting take the piss

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, lydia said:

Do they have their Sailing Anarchy log-on names in brackets underneath?

On 10/31/2019 at 8:23 AM, LB 15 said:

No results found

Fuck I love this place!

57 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

3eykgx.jpg

No way, he's way too old to sail an Optimist...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, LB 15 said:

WTF is the Octopussy?

A pussy with 8 flaps?

6 hours ago, Couta said:

What is your issue with Marco winning the award? I think it's an incredible achievement to win 3 world championships in that class when you have to be under 16 to compete. Sailors develop so fast at that age to win a worlds at 14 is incredible.

Also the level of competition in the Optimist is the best you will find at that age group. And majority of the best sailors I have raced against have grown up sailing them.

Who would you rather have won it? 

2 hours ago, lydia said:

All respect to GRS btw

the pics are getting lifted from his Facebook page and he is still posting and letting take the piss

So are you suggesting that an employee of AS is complicit?

2 hours ago, LB 15 said:

3eykgx.jpg

1 hour ago, SPORTSCAR said:

No way, he's way too old to sail an Optimist...

LB was born on the 29 th of February I’m told so technically he’s getting close to ageing out of the class. 

Pulpit

1 hour ago, kawalski said:

What is your issue with Marco winning the award? I think it's an incredible achievement to win 3 world championships in that class when you have to be under 16 to compete. Sailors develop so fast at that age to win a worlds at 14 is incredible.

Also the level of competition in the Optimist is the best you will find at that age group. And majority of the best sailors I have raced against have grown up sailing them.

Who would you rather have won it? 

Thru to the keeper

7 hours ago, lydia said:

Dementia 

5 hours ago, kawalski said:

What is your issue with Marco winning the award?

mmmm..so Kawalski do you like movies about gladiators..ever been in a Turkish prison?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

mmmm..so Kawalski do you like movies about gladiators..ever been in a Turkish prison?

That went WAY over my head.

On 10/9/2019 at 6:07 AM, Recidivist said:

He will  admonish you for not capitalising "i" and not using a full stop!!

No admonishment or remonstration for that matter, just a demonstration of care toward the Queen's English.

• Like 3

So what's wrong with an Opti kid being awarded the Rolex Male athlete of the Year? 

Here's what  Shirley Robertson had to say: "Marco is undoubtedly a great talent, and I'm sure in time we will see him flourish in the senior arena - but it seems a strange decision for a World Governing Body to give a senior award to a young sailor who competes only against other young sailors. You don't see Football, Rugby or maybe any other world sports authority giving their annual 'player of the year' awards to junior players ......odd decision."

Yep! A kid beat some other relatively inexperienced kids, to be crowned "king of the kids". That's the situation that apparently merits the Rolex. So be it...

But on a deeper level it highlights  problems for our sport......

The flat bottomed, slab sided, weirdly rigged Optimist was conceived and is promoted as the entry level sailcraft for juniors. Supposedly it's an inexpensive way to introduce kids to our sport and provide the vehicle for skills development and fun on the water.

That simple concept - sold to thousands of parents around the world - has been perverted. Instead we have an arms race of equipment and coach programs and talent identification and state/national squads. Ambitious parents in personal RIBs follow intently their little darlings, videoing and recruiting elite coaches - themselves intent on creating Youth world champions with the possibility of olympic greatness. In the process the kids are driven and flown across the country and with their "talent" confirmed...flown around the world to represent at the annual World Championships.....

And the result for the sport is.....99% of the optimist sailors who set out to learn skills and have fun drop out of our sport. Kids get the message that they are not one of the "Chosen few" and will only ever "make up the numbers"....they quickly find other sports to play. Parents quickly come to understand that unless they too have the RIB, the video, the coach and the preparedness to traipse across the country....they're wasting their time...and that of the club coach....

The result is that participation in our sport....particularly youth and adult....is in persistent decline.

Because WS is completely addicted to the olympic $$, and is totally committed to the focus on the elite few, it openly encourages this "Olympic Pathways" approach. The awarding of the Rolex to an Opti kid is the result. 

It's pretty insidious - as it is spun as a "focus on the future" and a recognition of a sailing feat...but the awarding of Male athlete of the year to an opti kid looks to me like WS  is desperate to find relevance and reinforce its fundamentally flawed approach to the growth of our sport.

• Like 16