b393capt

Man Overboard Button (simple physical button, well labeled)

Has anyone come across a good man overboard button to connect to an H5000 (e.g. 2-wire, momentary contact switch)

Good as in

- Weatherproof, 2-wire momentary contact switch

- Labeled "MOB" or "Man overboard" without taking too much space on the surface it is mounted too.

Look at emergency stop buttons for industrial tools.  They are high quality momentary and often waterproof switches.  The color is designed to be easy to find.  You could re-label or I think most people could easily be trained to this about it as MOB.

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&sxsrf=ACYBGNQlMcKgu8LezQFbRwU2kMFjgdL_lA%3A1570651023949&source=hp&biw=2480&bih=1320&ei=jzueXYyzN9Lv9AOb5ae4Dg&q=emergency+stop+button&oq=emergency+stop+button&gs_l=img.3..0l10.954.3168..3376...0.0..0.49.923.21......0....1..gws-wiz-img.9uJQVS1EEOs&ved=0ahUKEwjMtuKC-4_lAhXSN30KHZvyCecQ4dUDCAY&uact=5

25 minutes ago, Starboard!! said:

This is exactly what you need and only just recently available: YDAB-01 from Yacht Devices, an NMEA compatible MOB button (for B&G plotters, will drop a marker at the MOB) and an alarm.

https://www.yachtd.com/news/sound_alarm_module.html

Reconsider the bright red color -- it's harder to see at night using redlight headlamps.

This looks good for most people.

It appears a better solution for an H5000 owner is a simple physical button, momentary contact switch, connected to the H5000 Connector #6 to provide an advanced MOB function that provides a "dead reckoning MOB position adjusted for tide", as described on page 8 of the H5000 installation manual.

• Like 1

You can buy ip69 momentary push buttons from mouser or digikey. You can get an engraved facia from front panel express.

14 hours ago, Moonduster said:

You can buy ip69 momentary push buttons from mouser or digikey. You can get an engraved facia from front panel express.

The advantage of  YDAB-01 NMEA 2000 button is that you can just connect into the existing NMEA2000 network, without having to snake a wire all the way to wherever your H5000 processor is.

A small advantage at a big price premium that becomes a disadvantage as soon as one realizes that one might want a 2nd MOB button.

My MOB button is at the helm. Whoever falls over, someone is going to need to be at the helm to respond to it, so it's natural location for the MOB button. I think it's actually safer to only have one button in on location.  Redundancy could be dangerous, because the last thing you want is for your crew to believe that someone "else" already pressed the "other button".

You've never been on a boat with two helms? That's almost all cruising power boats, all pilot house sailboats lots of mid size cruising boats and all maxis. 

11 hours ago, Starboard!! said:

the last thing you want is for your crew to believe that someone "else" already pressed the "other button".

Visual and audible alarms?

There's no harm in pursuing it ten times. Each press drops a mark and you might have to reset navigation back to the first one.

• Like 1

I have one port and stbd side of the helm outboard the wheel on my J/109 for easy access.  They are the old Nexus TAC push buttons re-purposed for MOB and wired to the H5000 processor. Easy to reach on either tack where the helmsman is normally sitting upwind and very visible for someone else to push if it is the helmsman who went overboard.

On 10/9/2019 at 2:58 PM, Alex W said:

Look at emergency stop buttons for industrial tools.  They are high quality momentary and often waterproof switches.  The color is designed to be easy to find.  You could re-label or I think most people could easily be trained to this about it as MOB.

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&sxsrf=ACYBGNQlMcKgu8LezQFbRwU2kMFjgdL_lA%3A1570651023949&source=hp&biw=2480&bih=1320&ei=jzueXYyzN9Lv9AOb5ae4Dg&q=emergency+stop+button&oq=emergency+stop+button&gs_l=img.3..0l10.954.3168..3376...0.0..0.49.923.21......0....1..gws-wiz-img.9uJQVS1EEOs&ved=0ahUKEwjMtuKC-4_lAhXSN30KHZvyCecQ4dUDCAY&uact=5

Industrial E-Stop buttons are a continuous circuit that is broken when the button is pressed. IE, they are a normally closed circuit. This is safer than a normally closed circuit because it is always being monitored that the connections are good. Someone mentioned that each time you push the button, the H5000 will record a new GPS location. An E-stop would need to actively be reset after a press. 

I use EAO 14 series switch with stainless steel bezel and silicone cover. Red led backlighting at night. It’s rated IP67.

https://eao.com/14/

Pictures from my cockpit tomorrow.

EAO is a large Swiss industrial buttons company, it’s probably available in most metric countries. I have the smaller 84 series buttons for other cockpit buttons (windlass, swim platform, compass light, etc).

Here you go. Overall width (bezel) is 35mm, the press button itself is 22.5mm wide.

2019-10-15 16.39.58-2.jpg

2019-10-15 16.40.09-2.jpg

A worthwhile topic, but you also have to think through what pressing the button will actually do in your setup, and what interactions there might be with AIS beacons and VHF radio, the so-what queston.

I have trialled a push of the recently-installed button, and then had someone run to the adjacent park with an AIS beacon, perfectly reasonable in windy conditions and a big seastate.  For us that meant you get two different MOB positions, one on AIS and one in your nav software from pushing the button ...... and they aren't quite the same at button push (lags and all that), and will thereafter will diverge (seastate and currents).  Incidentally, we also get - hopefully - a heap of people from neighboring yachts coming down the marina to look for the one in the water, so someone should be on the radio real quick to give guidance.

So you also have to do a trial and work out your operational doctrine, before the thing gets pushed in anger, and I hope it never will be.