The Dark Knight

12m Australia KA-5 for sale

It was on a mooring in Pittwater a few months back.

Does it have an electric toilet? (:

• Like 1

Still on a mooring in Pittwater. Dunno about the toilet but it's got a mast now.

1 hour ago, Jethrow said:

I think the comma in the price is one spot too far right...

a lot of money when the ad includes this comment 

There is no sail inventory at present. The new owner can select their preferred sailmaker and the type of sails to suit their style of sailing

4 hours ago, Fleetwood said:

Still on a mooring in Pittwater. Dunno about the toilet but it's got a mast now.

The bendy one?

1 hour ago, The Dark Knight said:

There is no sail inventory at present. The new owner can select their preferred sailmaker and the type of sails to suit their style of sailing

Ouch...

Well, I guess if you have to ask, you can't afford it...

$400k is a lot of money for a 42 year old boat with no sails, no interior and a "cruising speed of 7 kts".  

It's a fine looking boat in a nostalgic sense of what used to be cutting edge. 

"A truly evocative yacht...."

That there is fine illustration of the Meaningless Phrase. It evokes! Invokes! Maybe even provokes! Gitchyer volkes thoroughly voked by this floating bridesmaid.

1 hour ago, RobbieB said:

Bet it ends up in Newport

Why? None of the 12Ms in Newport are RACING in Newport any more. Huge dropoff in every class after the Worlds. 

29 minutes ago, jackolantern said:

Why? None of the 12Ms in Newport are RACING in Newport any more. Huge dropoff in every class after the Worlds. 

Not racing up there, but that's where they seem to "hang out" generally.

1 minute ago, RobbieB said:

Not racing up there, but that's where they seem to "hang out" generally.

Sure, "hanging out" with huge yard bills and sad/rapid dropoffs in quality of hardware once exposed to the elements.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

2_4.jpg

I sailed an Optimist in 1977. I think its rudder was bigger than that one.

4 hours ago, bugger said:

$400k is a lot of money for a 42 year old boat with no sails, no interior and a "cruising speed of 7 kts".  

Tell 'im 'e's dreamin'

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 10thTonner said:

I sailed an Optimist in 1977. I think its rudder was bigger than that one.

Well there are two rudders of course.

Love the bit  in the ad where you can become a caretaker of australia's maritime history (for 400k) 

9 hours ago, RobbieB said:

Bet it ends up in Newport

Newport, RI would be a fitting home, and fine company.  Hope it happens.

The best part of the advert is the link in the last line to this article by Jonathan Russo: https://observer.com/2017/10/why-a-12-meter-yacht-is-your-perfect-starter-boat/

At least he can spell Lexcen.

I can confirm that KA5 is on a mooring on Pittwater - just south of Scotland Island. I can see her from my front deck now. Glistening, beckoning.....

As lovely as they are a 12 metre would have to be a long way down the list of things one needs in life. 

You can't have everything - where would you put it all?

Assuming this is the 12 they used to film that mini series about the cup in 83? Has that series made it to television yet or still in post production?

Do you mean ‘wind’? So does that mean you can buy a whomper from the sailmaker of your choice?

• Like 1

Negative, there was an Australian production company doing a mini series or telemovie about Bondy's campaign for the 83 cup. Pretty sure there was a thread here years ago looking for people to crew as extras. From memory the on water filming was to take place in Pittwater/Broken Bay.

• Like 1

I dont think notorious Manhattan Yacht club in Jersey City commodore with his elite club member syndicates will be able to buy or pay for shipping and sails for Australia.

Is he still playing with fat man DC name as his own brand?  DC Marina, fleet? What else DC Power bars for hungry hood kids?

• Downvote 1

The one bad mark, "eventual fate." These old horses, still evoke the sound-memory of creaking rigging...

I still love "Scepter" and, later, "Cubed."  

Too bad we do not still compete with cutters or whatever, which had a life besides the one set of runs...

Imagine what will happen with the current rigs! More plastic in the landfills???

20 hours ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

Negative, there was an Australian production company doing a mini series or telemovie about Bondy's campaign for the 83 cup. Pretty sure there was a thread here years ago looking for people to crew as extras. From memory the on water filming was to take place in Pittwater/Broken Bay.

I had forgotten about that film/tv show - I was looking after Gretel II at the time and the "boat wrangler" rang me in a panic hoping they could use GII, as Australia's owners had not got back to them. The guy rang me again to say all was okay, but did we have an overlapping genoa we could lend/hire as Australia only has a cutdown jib. I put him in touch with Ian Short who had some of GII's sails at the time. Not sure what happened after that. Have never heard anything more about it.

On 10/11/2019 at 4:24 PM, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

Assuming this is the 12 they used to film that mini series about the cup in 83? Has that series made it to television yet or still in post production?

Yes and yes

On 10/11/2019 at 5:15 PM, LB 15 said:

Do you mean ‘wind’? So does that mean you can buy a whomper from the sailmaker of your choice?

Yeah...from Dorro himself!! ;-)

• Like 1

On 10/12/2019 at 1:09 AM, BobBill said:

Imagine what will happen with the current rigs! More plastic in the landfills???

You are dealing off a full deck aren't you?

In that case, I'll let you figure out what material 12M masts are made from.....

Hint: Not Plastic

In fact the one thing going for Modern ("ahem") 12M's are the high proportion of recyclability that they are constructed from (Not the Kiwi ones tho....).

Some hulls were AL, some were not...as to rigs and some hulls, resin, as I recently learned, is not biodegradable, sadly.

Big boats...ease thy hawsers mate...

Seems some years back I recall Westerly looking a might forelorn...could have been another, stripped and looking so negleected. Of course, the Kiwis are not into scrapping plastic.

On 10/10/2019 at 9:43 PM, MakePHRFGreatAgain said:

Would be.  But I’ve heard  there are more 12M sellers than buyers in NPT now. 

Yknow, with comments like this you’re not doing me any favors as I’m trying to dispel the rumors that I’m you. 

More sellers than buyers ?  Only two 12 metres are currently for sale in Newport and they are Weatherly and American Eagle.  The 12 metre charter business around there is still pretty strong.  

Nice to know "Weatherly" was put back in business (above I typed "Westerly." thinking Weatherly and never looked back...duh on me), still, I swear I saw Weatherly all stripped and forelorn, but been wrong before...was a good 15 yars back, besides...

Aye, come to think, coulda been Columbia...not Weatherly...

All I recall is a forelorn 12 moored in large wharf-slip.

Was sometime ago, and could have been under refit, never followed-up. A distant memory.

Have always followed12s, never missing a TV'd race, even played hookey to watch. Stopped when Conner and the cat showed to race the other rule-bender. 

Was, to me, like watching (old) power-wood-schooners in a breeze...creaking, heeling, driving, the preplanned and exciting start rhubs.

Mostly throw-away today, like NASCAR and current (Yankee) politics.

Columbia would have to be the best looking 12 in Newport.   I don't know its history since giving up 12 racing during the 1960s.  All I can say is that some time more than two years ago it was given a total makeover and now looks a real picture.  Are you sure you have the right boat ?  Columbia is a wooden hulled 12 launched in 1958.

"S," no not sure!

And well, for me, sometimes wood is not noticed through good paint job. I only recall that hull sitting in slip, looking like a lost pup...in 70s, maybe not even a 12 and maybe a slip out of Baltimore...sort of fuzzy, but... Do recall a later invite to sail on one refitted 12 in maybe 1978 in call from her work in WH, but could not use vaca time them. Twas a shame too.

Don't recall the boat, but do recall it was to be 11 gals and me on a cruise...The things we do for love and miss!

While we are on the subject of 12 racing there was a very complimentary article about Enterprise in the November Yachting World.  Apparently it was given a major makeover in readiness for the worlds where it finished second.  It would be interesting to learn how the owner and charterer divided up the cost of all that work which must have been considerable.  Things were super intense for a few months and then pfffft - nothing. There was a team of guys crawling all over it through April and May this year.  Some day in August the boat was hauled out, mast removed and no one has been near it since.

That's a mountain of money and effort for a mighty short summer of racing.

9 hours ago, savoir said:

"... That's a mountain of money and effort for a mighty short summer of racing."

Seems that is what we do (sailing is)...really?