arneelof

Sun and wind powered cars

I read this https://group.vattenfall.com/who-we-are/sponsorship/vattenfall-solar-team and it got me thinking. If we can do 50 knots on the water with wind, it should not be too hard to go faster than that on land, i.e. given that we can sail in the right direction we should be able to keep up with traffic flow easily with a wind powered  car.   I guess the main problem is the limits in true wind directions.

2 hours ago, fastyacht said:

Always thought it was daft that movies had people walking beside the wagons. Now I know they actually did that because it was more comfortable to walk. 

I have a theory that West Virginia was populated by people too lazy to go any farther. 

On 10/10/2019 at 8:03 PM, arneelof said:

I read this https://group.vattenfall.com/who-we-are/sponsorship/vattenfall-solar-team and it got me thinking. If we can do 50 knots on the water with wind, it should not be too hard to go faster than that on land, i.e. given that we can sail in the right direction we should be able to keep up with traffic flow easily with a wind powered  car.   I guess the main problem is the limits in true wind directions.

Maybe a friend can lend you their car to try driving around in a parking lot. That might clear things up a bit.

2 hours ago, apophenia said:

Maybe a friend can lend you their car to try driving around in a parking lot. That might clear things up a bit.

That is why you need a combination with solar power.

On 10/10/2019 at 2:03 PM, arneelof said:

I guess the main problem is the limits in true wind directions.

Bridges , tree branches, power lines.  You think being stuck behind a schmuck hyper miling his Prius was bad...

• Like 1

On 10/10/2019 at 4:41 PM, Dex Sawash said:

Always thought it was daft that movies had people walking beside the wagons. Now I know they actually did that because it was more comfortable to walk. 

I have a theory that West Virginia was populated by people too lazy to go any farther. 

You talking shit about the Scotch/Irish again?!

On 10/10/2019 at 2:38 PM, VWAP said:

Makes perfect sense. After we remove all the overhead power lines and cut down all the trees, we’re “ready to roll.” (That’s a little bit of Swedish humor, heh heh.).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Saint Greta said:

Makes perfect sense. After we remove all the overhead power lines and cut down all the trees, we’re “ready to roll.” (That’s a little bit of Latin/Swedish humor, heh heh.).

ftfy