winchfodder

World Sailing in the Red. Where has all the money gone?

Heard a report that World Sailing has used up all the IOC income, over $15 million and are now having to borrow money against the next Olympic bonanza. 

Where has all the money gone? 

Andy Hunt's Pockets?

They moved from Southampton to a downtown London building that they cannot afford.

They apparently got GOBS of cash from Gazprom, the Russian state LNG company, much of which has disappeared.

They're having their conference in BERMUDA, which is nice and centrally located for all possible countries <_<

They have a larger-than-necessary staff and lots of trappings for the officers.

https://isafcorruption.wordpress.com/

^This hasn't been updated in a while and I can't vouch 100% for the accuracy, but certainly eye opening.

Let it burn. When they royally fuck up (YET AGAIN) and there's nobody who wants to bail them out and the IOC starts breathing down their neck for the absolutely shit job they've been doing for the past 15 years, certainly then things will change.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, onepointfivethumbs said:

Andy Hunt's Pockets?

They moved from Southampton to a downtown London building that they cannot afford.

They apparently got GOBS of cash from Gazprom, the Russian state LNG company, much of which has disappeared.

They're having their conference in BERMUDA, which is nice and centrally located for all possible countries <_<

They have a larger-than-necessary staff and lots of trappings for the officers.

https://isafcorruption.wordpress.com/

^This hasn't been updated in a while and I can't vouch 100% for the accuracy, but certainly eye opening.

Let it burn. When they royally fuck up (YET AGAIN) and there's nobody who wants to bail them out and the IOC starts breathing down their neck for the absolutely shit job they've been doing for the past 15 years, certainly then things will change.

What about the cost of the World Sailihg TV Show. Would like to see how they account for that in their books. Coverage rarely seems to follow Olympic sailing. Must be costing millions to produce and transmit. Viewing figures? 

You mean the WSTV show didn't change the world, and bring untold millions of new eyeballs into the sport?  Shocked, I am!

• Like 3

Sometimes the mission of an organization is lost and the focus becomes the organization, how it is run, and by whom. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, duncan (the other one) said:

Where did the Gazprom money go?

Are the accounts open to members?

4 hours ago, winchfodder said:

Are the accounts open to members?

To MNAs? I expect so. Individual sailors aren't members. Last time I looked for a recent annual report on the WS website I could not find one.

Usually very good deals on nice office equipment and furniture at the auction.

1 hour ago, Rum Runner said:

Bribes to Olympic officials who want to replace sailing with break dancing. 

I understand that "breaking" is the politically correct name for this sport.

Let's be honest this is way more interesting than watching sailing.

Breaking...

Sailing... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Iz1de7Lwyw

4 hours ago, tillerman said:

There was a risk that sailing was going to be fun to watch when they introduced kiteboarding.

But don't worry, the Finn is coming back.

As regards WS, "breaking" is the present tense of the verb and its a stretch to apply it to something which is clearly already "broken"....such as World sailing!

000.thumb.jpg.f2e74ab4470f2c9f8b4fcf21ea545c10.jpg

Usual bribes a-la-FIFA imo along with 'promoting the sport' in places like fucking china. Like seriously, every major foray into sailing in the big league with a 'China team' has almost always been 'Budget Team France with China written on in crayon'.  World Sailing has always been slightly dodgy. 

Breaking...

Sailing... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Iz1de7Lwyw

Just put 18 foot skiffs on reaching courses in the Olympics and buy popcorn. 'nuff said. Who cares if they're not one design. Bikes in the olympics certainly aren't. 

3 hours ago, Raptorsailor said:

Just put 18 foot skiffs on reaching courses in the Olympics and buy popcorn. 'nuff said. Who cares if they're not one design. Bikes in the olympics certainly aren't. 

That would be awesome but it's never going to happen.

I think it's only a matter of time before sailing is eliminated from the Olympics altogether. Then, with the current World Sailing in bankruptcy we can set up a new world sailing body which will concentrate on grass-roots sailing and growing the real sport, not a few races that happen once every four years and which only a handful of sailors can enter.

9 hours ago, tillerman said:

we can set up a new world sailing body which will concentrate on grass-roots sailing 

It isn't the business of a world body to concentrate on the grass-roots. That's what clubs are for. Some make a better job than others.

1 hour ago, dogwatch said:

It isn't the business of a world body to concentrate on the grass-roots. That's what clubs are for. Some make a better job than others.

You have a good point.

But there must be some things we would need a world body for?

You have a good point.

But there must be some things we would need a world body for?

RRS. International class rules. For a while I was involved in a sport with multiple governing bodies, each with their own rule and it was shit. We are lucky to have a single centralised point in the sport. The way it's being run right now, not so great.

• Like 3

Maybe they just lost it. Sometimes money will fall out of my pockets if I’m not careful. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, dogwatch said:

RRS. International class rules. For a while I was involved in a sport with multiple governing bodies, each with their own rule and it was shit. We are lucky to have a single centralised point in the sport. The way it's being run right now, not so great.

Yeah, there's a role for WS. Probably doesn't need a lot of staff, fancy execs, nor plush London offices.

Sometimes more money ruins things.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, martin.langhoff said:

Yeah, there's a role for WS. Probably doesn't need a lot of staff, fancy execs, nor plush London offices.

Sometimes more money ruins things.

That's what we would have but for the IOC royalty payout.  Once you have that, you have to hire someone to go get the low hanging sponsorship money, because it would be irresponsible not to.  Once you have the money, you have to spend it on programs, people to monitor and legislate the programs, and week long holidays in Bermuda.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, IPLore said:

There was a risk that sailing was going to be fun to watch when they introduced kiteboarding.

But don't worry, the Finn is coming back.

000.thumb.jpg.f2e74ab4470f2c9f8b4fcf21ea545c10.jpg

I take it you didn’t actually read the IFA’s submission. 

55 minutes ago, dogwatch said:

Right. But I am struggling to think anything else that World Sailing does that is of any benefit to me.

25 minutes ago, tillerman said:

Right. But I am struggling to think anything else that World Sailing does that is of any benefit to me.

They write cease and desist letters to common people who deign to use their rules without permission

Cease and desist letters? 

* How can I get me one of those?

Its like the speeding tickets from the harbor cops everyone in the dinghy fleet strove to get.  Come to think it is I need to try that in my  tri...

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, tillerman said:

Entertainment value?

2 minutes ago, bill4 said:

Entertainment value?

Good point. I did enjoy listening to the audio feed of the meeting where World Sailing chose the Runner Up Boat At The Olympic Evaluation (aka RUBATOE) for the Paris Olympics. Better than any Shakespearian tragedy. 

23 minutes ago, Wess said:

Cease and desist letters? 

* How can I get me one of those?

Its like the speeding tickets from the harbor cops everyone in the dinghy fleet strove to get.  Come to think it is I need to try that in my  tri...

Is that what you get if you run a World Championship for something that's not a World Sailing Class?  There's a group of Wednesday night beer can racers on my bay who run a Wednesday Night Worlds once a year. Perhaps they are hoping to get one of those coveted letters?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

That's what we would have but for the IOC royalty payout.  Once you have that, you have to hire someone to go get the low hanging sponsorship money, because it would be irresponsible not to.  Once you have the money, you have to spend it on programs, people to monitor and legislate the programs, and week long holidays in Bermuda.

Having worked in the ngo/non-profit sector, hard rules about overhead (ie:20% cap, audited) can help keep org structure sane.

There's no silverr bullet.

15 hours ago, tillerman said:

There's stuff around RRS and equipment rules, like training processes for race officials. But basically I don't expect and don't want WS to do anything else for me. Only the stuff that enables OAs to run events with a set of international rules. Everything else bar necessary interaction with the 3-ring circus should be down to MNAs and OAs.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bruno said:

Why was a nonprofit relocated to an offshore tax haven?

Because this is not the USA. UK tax and company law historically had limited truck with the concept of "not for profit" except for charities and the definition of a charity is tightly drawn and would not include World Sailing.

So nonprofits still pay substantial tax there? On what, turnover? Because that would matter, vat is what, 18%?

As I umderstand it the corporate veil and governance laws are less strict if domiciled on Man, transparency and oversight is limited.

16 hours ago, tillerman said:

Is that what you get if you run a World Championship for something that's not a World Sailing Class?  There's a group of Wednesday night beer can racers on my bay who run a Wednesday Night Worlds once a year. Perhaps they are hoping to get one of those coveted letters?

If they write a story on the front page they'll get one.  A SD area club got a real nasty one when we announced the Sportboat World Championship of the World, and guess what? They caved.  

2 hours ago, Bruno said:

So nonprofits still pay substantial tax there? On what, turnover? Because that would matter, vat is what, 18%?

As I umderstand it the corporate veil and governance laws are less strict if domiciled on Man, transparency and oversight is limited.

There isn't a direct equivalent of the US "not for profit". Broadly, if you are a company that isn't a charity, you pay corporation tax on net income. That applies, for example, to a "company limited by guarantee" which is a common form of incorporation for companies that don't pay a dividend. They still pay corporation tax.

The main attraction of the Isle of Man is that the rate of corporation tax is zero. Your assumption that only dark motives could lead someone to want to incorporate there is not correct. 

Bermuda would have been a better choice. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dogwatch said:

Because?

It's way nicer, and tax-free. 

There isn't a direct equivalent of the US "not for profit". Broadly, if you are a company that isn't a charity, you pay corporation tax on net income. That applies, for example, to a "company limited by guarantee" which is a common form of incorporation for companies that don't pay a dividend. They still pay corporation tax.

The main attraction of the Isle of Man is that the rate of corporation tax is zero. Your assumption that only dark motives could lead someone to want to incorporate there is not correct. 

Not sure why a nonprofit needs to show positive net income.

7 minutes ago, Bruno said:

It doesn't although if it doesn't indefinitely it will run out of cash. But if it does, in the UK it pays corporation tax. Calling yourself "not for profit" doesn't get you out of it.

52 minutes ago, bill4 said:

It's way nicer, and tax-free. 

Nicer? The paperwork suns itself on the beach?

On 10/14/2019 at 8:20 PM, tillerman said:

That would be awesome but it's never going to happen.

I think it's only a matter of time before sailing is eliminated from the Olympics altogether. Then, with the current World Sailing in bankruptcy we can set up a new world sailing body which will concentrate on grass-roots sailing and growing the real sport, not a few races that happen once every four years and which only a handful of sailors can enter.

So, I assume it's legal to hit the mark with your body, just not the boat??  

It doesn't although if it doesn't indefinitely it will run out of cash. But if it does, in the UK it pays corporation tax. Calling yourself "not for profit" doesn't get you out of it.

If you're clever you can structure your savings or capital accumu,ations in off books entities which you have control over, flowing the cash back as grants etc over time to reinject capital. It's a balancing act but a legitimate one. My understanding is the corporate entity is still subject to UK oversight and regulation. 

3 hours ago, dogwatch said:

Nicer? The paperwork suns itself on the beach?

I would certainly rather work in Bermuda than Man. But to each their own.

3 hours ago, shaggy said:

So, I assume it's legal to hit the mark with your body, just not the boat??  

One must always read the rules...

http://www.circolovelaarco.it/images/NOR__SI_2019_18ft.pdf

2.5 Touching a mark (other than a starting or finish line mark) with any part of the boat or crew
shall not constitute an infringement of the Rules and does not require 1 turn; Manhandling
a mark which results in an advantage is not allowed nor is displacing it and a boat so doing
shall promptly retire. If a boat touches a start or finish mark they shall complete a 1 turn
penalty (altering RRS 31.2)

10 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

If they write a story on the front page they'll get one.  A SD area club got a real nasty one when we announced the Sportboat World Championship of the World, and guess what? They caved.  

Days long past. WS doesnt even have the resources to issue plaques to its own international classes, let alone find someone to type a cease and desist letter , or borrow money for postage.

From all the well informed gossip in the UK, WS is in real trouble. They are short of money. They have lost any sense of direction or purpose and they cant get qualified staff. An underpaid job doing something you love based in an office overlooking the harbor on the South Coast of England with access to sailing every day is one thing, ..... commuting to an underpaid job in a grimy part of London next to Paddington station is quite another.

Andy Hunt has been an unmitigated disaster.

Ask the execs of the international classes and they will tell you about unanswered correspondence, rule change proposals that are submitted to WS and then just passed when they dont hear back.  Ask volunteers on WS committees about the support (or lack of) from WS (admittedly hard to get a reply from an unfilled post).

My local VA post is better run than that lot.  The MNAs are better run than World Sailing.

Here is one tiny example:

Look at the all important technical staff. The people who actually do something directly related to sailing....like rules and measurement standards.  Here is the current team.

https://www.sailing.org/worldsailing/secretariat/technical_and_offshore.php

At first, it looks really impressive.  Carlos Beltran is a top guy with impressive credentials .  So are some of the team members.

Except Carlos left World sailing in November 2018!

There is no job posting.

How many other "virtual" staff members are there?. 

How about the head of commercial management

https://www.sailing.org/worldsailing/secretariat/communications.php

Nope, World Sailing can pretend that he still works there but if you ask the UK Motor Sports Association, they will tell you that Hugh left WS in October last year and has been the full time CEO of MSA since November 2018

They will be popping prosecco corks in celebration at Paddington today when they heard Andy is gone.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Dex Sawash said:

Has a bright future in rhyming slang though.

With his cousin, Mike.

13 hours ago, bill4 said:

I would certainly rather work in Bermuda than Man. But to each their own.

It's nothing at all to do with where people work. Just where companies are registered.

17 hours ago, duncan (the other one) said:

One must always read the rules...

http://www.circolovelaarco.it/images/NOR__SI_2019_18ft.pdf

2.5 Touching a mark (other than a starting or finish line mark) with any part of the boat or crew
shall not constitute an infringement of the Rules and does not require 1 turn; Manhandling
a mark which results in an advantage is not allowed nor is displacing it and a boat so doing
shall promptly retire. If a boat touches a start or finish mark they shall complete a 1 turn
penalty (altering RRS 31.2)

Thank you sir..  Cary on...

On 10/15/2019 at 3:30 PM, tillerman said:

I thought out ILCA Dinghy class was an olympic class.

On the other hand, those WS Bermuda trips sound nice. Maybe I should apply for a Job in London. Does anybody know the college requirements needed to become a posh twat?

51 minutes ago, Eddie_E said:

I thought out ILCA Dinghy class was an olympic class.

On the other hand, those WS Bermuda trips sound nice. Maybe I should apply for a Job in London. Does anybody know the college requirements needed to become a posh twat?

The Runner Up Boat At The Olympic Evaluation is indeed an Olympic Class. The boat that won the Olympic evaluation for the One Person Dinghy is only a World Sailing Class. So they can both run world championships. But who would want to be the world champion in the  Runner Up Boat At The Olympic Evaluation?

You can't qualify for being a posh twat in London by going to the right college. You have to have a posh twat accent.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Eddie_E said:

the college requirements needed to become a posh twat?

School, not college. The die is cast by college age.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, tillerman said:

But who would want to be the world champion in the  Runner Up Boat At The Olympic Evaluation?

Beats me. I guess that's why everybody has dumped their Laser and bought an Aero. 

• Like 2

Andy Hunt is moving on before his decision making truly comes him to roost. I am starting to think thatbthis ceo stuff is pretty easy. You just need to get your next position done 12 months before the shit hits the fan and it is nothing to do with you.

20 hours ago, bill4 said:

Beats me. I guess that's why everybody has dumped their Laser and bought an Aero. 

Everybody? There are at least a couple of people who still race Lasers. ;) 

PS: So far as I am aware, growth of the Aero in NZ remains at zero. There are six Aeros in NZ, and three are used regularly.

26 minutes ago, Bruce Hudson said:

Everybody? There are at least a couple of people who still race Lasers. ;) 

PS: So far as I am aware, growth of the Aero in NZ remains at zero. There are six Aeros in NZ, and three are used regularly.

I think that was bill4’s point.......

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Old Yeller said:

I think that was bill4’s point.......

It was? ;););) 

27 minutes ago, Bruce Hudson said:

It was? ;););) 

Well that’s way I read it..... as sarcasm implying that people were not in fact dumping their Lasers and buying Aeros. I could be wrong though. Only one person knows for sure.... :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Old Yeller said:

Well that’s way I read it..... as sarcasm implying that people were not in fact dumping their Lasers and buying Aeros. I could be wrong though. Only one person knows for sure.... :) 

100% sarcasm. Other than the UK to an extent, it would appear.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, bill4 said:

100% sarcasm. Other than the UK to an extent, it would appear.

And Seattle, I suppose.

Austin Texas. Our Sunday centerboard racing has been dominated by AERO with a couple Sunfish out two of the weeks. 

7 minutes ago, Gouvernail said:

Austin Texas. Our Sunday centerboard racing has been dominated by AERO with a couple Sunfish out two of the weeks. 

Cool! How many?

21 minutes ago, Gouvernail said:

That is odd. The Sunfish is or was making a come back here in Annapolis too. What’s up with that?

1 hour ago, bill4 said:

Cool! How many?

Just two weeks so far 

1 hour ago, Wess said:

That is odd. The Sunfish is or was making a come back here in Annapolis too. What’s up with that?

Desire for simplicity in an increasingly complex world?

1 hour ago, Wess said:

The Sunfish is doing well in New England too - largely because some enthusiastic young dude figured out that it is a great boat to keep former college sailors in the sport after college. He did did such a great job of growing the Sunfish Class in the north-east that the class punished him by electing him President of the US Sunfish Class.

https://www.sunfishclass.org/news/article/will-kresic-elected-ussca-president

16 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

Just two weeks so far 

How many Aeros?

17 hours ago, bill4 said:

Cool! How many?

Looks like 1.  It's a revolution!

Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 11.01.44 AM.png

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Hey, somebody has to be first. 

Others will follow.

40 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

In an attempt to get back on the subject a bit, both the Aero and the Sunfish are WS  recognized classes and pay plaque fees. By my math, WS captured about $120 from these boats at some point in time when they were plaqued (which is sort of a word). I am sure WS is appreciative!

The big question about WS is “why?”

Why the hell do sailors and. Oat manufacturers give ANYTHING to WS??

What does WS do to contribute to sailing? 

What do we the sailors want WS to do for us?

Why does WS exist? 

The above are serious questions of the sort we shouid always be asking about any government or bureaucracy. 

If WS went away today, how would that change sailing? 

Should we be discussing what it is we sailors want from our various service and organizational  associations?

Should we be having those discussions as a sort of planning phase in anticipation of creating the international, national, and local organizations which could actually help our game to grow and prosper ?

My position has been made clear for many years. Our current organizations are mostly broken. Most exist simply to serve the organization and extract funds from the sailors which are used to maintain those organizations. Whatever missions sailors may have envisioned when most of our organizations were founded are barely addressed while the organizations squander their funds and manpower on organizational maintenance and control. 
    Every sailing organization should be tasked with constantly demonstrating how its existence benefits the sailing game.

I see the singular primary function of the organizations as gathering and disseminating information. We have a great game / pastime/ lifestyle to offer. 
     The organizations should be telling people where, when, how, why, what, who etc. 

Instead we have:

“Give us money or you may not play.”

“We are in charge”

”We decide”

”Give is more money”

*+*******
  Fundamentally? I am convinced the entire set of sailing associations of every sort at every level needs to be replaced by organizations whose mission is to SERVE AND PROMOTE the game. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

The big question about WS is “why?”

WS do two things that benefit sailors that I know of for which we need a "world" body:

1)  They maintain the rules of racing.

2)  I believe the IOC require a world organization necessary for Olympic participation (which is a whole other subject). 

Other than that, I am stumped.

One thing that's worth doing is looking at sports that don't have a single world body...

3 hours ago, JimC said:

One thing that's worth doing is looking at sports that don't have a single world body...

But what does that mean??

There is no World Raquetsports taking money from Tennis, badminton, table tennis, racquetball, and Perhaps stretching itself to  lacrosse.

Certainly ocean racing, match racing, dinghy buoy racing, PHRF distance racing, kite boarding, catamaran racing, windsurfing, and RC boat racing are much more different than badminton and tennis. 

How can any bureaucracy be expected to properly support all sailing?? 

The idea Lasers and Sunfish royalties are sponsoring America’s Cup management or vice versa is absurd. 

• Like 1

Right... To be like sailing with its one bankrupt (worthless) organization, there would be one organization for contests using: 

Batons, QTip , canes, crutches, nunchucks, chopsticks, knitting needles, pencils, and WS would have a competitor for control of games conducted using battens. 

The ILCA does not need another association between it and the international for profit organization  called the Olympics. 

On 10/17/2019 at 12:19 AM, Bruno said:

there isnt such a thing as non profit under uk law AFAIK, they just say that to make you feel warm and cuddley

Its a private or public company or its a charity

football clubs have special legislation as some are clubs and some are companies.