JimBowie

Top Speed: What's Your Number?

My top 2:

36mph on a wooden A Scow with the kite up in a squall. The retrofitted bowsprit broke after we hit 36mph. As Jeremy Clarkson would say, "poo came out."

During a delivery back from Bermuda, I hit 32.5 knots through the water on Vanquish (storm trysail 65) in the gulf stream surfing down a wave with a double reef in the delivery main and the delivery jib. Nobody was trimming sails and it was a BIG wave. It was like a laser where the boat got going faster than the wind and the sails luffed on the way down. I now firmly believe in the havoc created by rogue waves. That wave face was at least 3x the length of the boat. 

I wish I had video of those moments. 

7 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

I was thinking that the Garmin 360 was an excellent onboard camera but when the video switched to the VIRB XE and it's data display, I was sold.... but does the boat need to be Garminised...

Actually both cameras can capture the same info from the boat and could have displayed both the same - but I didn't have the 360 set up for the boat data properly so we only got data from 360's internal GPS and accelerometer.  

8 hours ago, shaggybaxter said:

It’s Adrena Offshore light. The dials and layout has changed since then. The next version up is worth it as you get to select any number of dials in a much larger footprint. 

I guess it is now called Adrena First. Looks pretty good. 

3 hours ago, *Blink* said:

Actually both cameras can capture the same info from the boat and could have displayed both the same - but I didn't have the 360 set up for the boat data properly so we only got data from 360's internal GPS and accelerometer.  

Such a shame that the boat data seems to only be possible if you have certain Garmin MFD rather than and wifi NMEA2000 source, very apple like.

Cool videos. 

Well, as this thread runs its life-cycle, looks like my 35 knots is top dog, or at least tied, with the other claims, assuming a 10% bullshit factor. Makes that saying "Sail Fast, Live Slow" relevant.

19 On a Melges 24, other small keel boats in the upper teens.

Lots of impressive numbers posted here, but I'm more impressed with stories with old heavy boats cracking 12 knots.  Like 14 in a 18,000 pound old IOR boat, far more scary!!  It's the same with cars, 145mph in a Corvette?  Yeah, feels nice and smooth.  95mph in a 1984 Dodge Omni?  That shit is real as it gets.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

I guess it is now called Adrena First. Looks pretty good. 

It's used by many Vendée globe / figaro / route du rhum skippers....

15 hours ago, JimBowie said:

Well, as this thread runs its life-cycle, looks like my 35 knots is top dog, or at least tied, with the other claims, assuming a 10% bullshit factor. Makes that saying "Sail Fast, Live Slow" relevant.

So your anything counts doesn't include iceboats?

5 hours ago, glexpress said:

Like 14 in a 18,000 pound old IOR boat, far more scary!! 

Fast is fun!

5a72b0740b6dd_NorthSails_Fast.jpg.c97aca8f780e6719d944aaf73401e241.thumb.jpg.7c40025fa013a6a4abcc63e273722e4b.jpg

• Like 3

19 hours ago, JimBowie said:

So your speed was in fact 31.5 knots then?

8 hours ago, glexpress said:

Lots of impressive numbers posted here, but I'm more impressed with stories with old heavy boats cracking 12 knots.  Like 14 in a 18,000 pound old IOR boat, far more scary!!  It's the same with cars, 145mph in a Corvette?  Yeah, feels nice and smooth.  95mph in a 1984 Dodge Omni?  That shit is real as it gets.

Several 19-20kn runs on waves on 16000lbs 1975 design - 1986 built 43’ IOR boat. Sketchiest was 19.6 double reefed & no 5. 4 up on a lee shore going through a tight group of islands. 

• Like 1

85 on a renegade iceboat

Take that dn sailors

IMG_0270.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SCANAS said:

Several 19-20kn runs on waves on 16000lbs 1975 design - 1986 built 43’ IOR boat. Sketchiest was 19.6 double reefed & no 5. 4 up on a lee shore going through a tight group of islands. 

Yep, as mentioned it is much more kudos on a 40 yr old hull design.

Was that the same time as when you guys kept reefing down as the mainsail panels started coming apart? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, glexpress said:

Totally agree, I've hit 20's on tris with a sandwich in one hand while driving.  Best keelboat story was hitting 19.2 on a Peterson 43, the next five minutes were not as much fun as the previous five.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, shaggybaxter said:

Yep, as mentioned it is much more kudos on a 40 yr old hull design.

Was that the same time as when you guys kept reefing down as the mainsail panels started coming apart? 

No that was upwind unfortunately.  

4 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

I've hit 20's on tris with a sandwich in one hand while driving. 

Several posters have hit 30's on their keyboards with their dicks in one hand while typing.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Several posters have hit 30's on their keyboards with their dicks in one hand while typing.

Well, then all I can say is that I hope they weren't eating what was in their hand.  But shit, if you'll eat Vegemite...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

You've been on tris I assume, you know hitting 20's can be very comfortable or as usual, just trying to be witty?

1 hour ago, Cal20sailor said:

You've been on tris I assume, you know hitting 20's can be very comfortable or as usual, just trying to be witty?

Indeed I have sailed on tri's and indeed I was attempting to be witty. I shall continue my quest.

2 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Indeed I have sailed on tri's and indeed I was attempting to be witty. I shall continue my quest.

Carry on sir.  Humor feeds my soul but never sure when your making fun or fun at.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cal20sailor said:

Carry on sir.  Humor feeds my soul but never sure when your making fun or fun at.

Always in fun mate. If i ever start taking this place seriously I will shoot myself in the cock. 

29 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Always in fun mate. If i ever start taking this place seriously I will shoot myself in the cock. 

I've only raced for 45+ yrs, decent success, but pales to your experience.  Put a smiley at the end of your messages cause you could crush people.  The problem is that when you first make your quip, we think you're just an asshole (which I'm sure you are), but two posts later, we read about your accomplishments and realize that a very accomplished sailor just told me I'm shit.  I'm old, but for new sailors this could be damning.  I wish you would take your experience and guide people.  Sailboat racing is an incredible spectrum of knowledge and you clearly could help through your posts move the curve to the right.

I now I'm a rookie, but I can tell how the way someone steps on the boat whether they know shit or not.  I've rarely been wrong.  

Another quirk, If you've never worked bow...you scare the shit out of me.  Everyone should do at least a two year apprentice on the bow usually with shits in the cockpit who never did.  How hard is it to feed me the fucking guy when you have three wraps on the winch.  

20 hours ago, sledracr said:

Fast is fun!

5a72b0740b6dd_NorthSails_Fast.jpg.c97aca8f780e6719d944aaf73401e241.thumb.jpg.7c40025fa013a6a4abcc63e273722e4b.jpg

Yes!  That's what I'm talking about.  Guaranteed that boat has more white knuckles aboard than a sport boat would!

Sailed on the Hard Winged Stars and Stripes but not sure what speeds we hit.  Top 2  Did 27 driving a RP50 off Cedros Island in 35 plus big swell can't remember if it was a Cabo or a PV.  Hit 32 6 years ago driving an STP65 in the biggest squall of our entire Transpac.  May have been higher all I remember seeing at one point was 3' of blue water coming over the cabin top and exploding at the pit winches.  A ton of mid 20's offshore between J125, RP50, RP78 and RP65.

13.6 Knots surfing downwind on and S2 9.1 in Marblehead around 1987 after we ripped the first reef and had to double reef before the start. I asked how we were going to take the chute down and my uncle said your going to go up the and pull the pin on the guy. I said I'm not going up there. After burying the bow to the shrouds a few times the chute gave up and it was a bit easier to take down.  Going up wind a bit later we hit a wave and stopped, but the mast kept going. Bonus, no sails to fold after we cut the mast with bolt cutters.

And 1993 BIRW round the island race on a Tripp 26 factory boat Northern Light reaching round the back of the island hitting probably 18 or so, going by J 44's like they were standing still. Tom Donnelly owned the molds and was with him for the week. I was one of his sponsers to get him into the CPYC in Winthrop and he gave me a great hard covered book about Shackleton"s Endorance. Anyone run into Tom lately? He may be back in Ireland.

I wish I could find the photo of the instrument package off of Winter Hawk, aka Ceramco NZ, the first Farr wide body around the world boats.
I was lucky enough to invited to sail from SF to Catalina. Unfortunately there was nothing but Kiwi's on board and I was the odd man out. worst bunk, worst shift and I almost wish I never was invited. I have  a pic somewhere of the wind speed at almost 40 knts and we were doing 27 knts under full 2.2oz kite with a rooster tail.

But that pales in comparison to the low budget Blokart and other land / Ice sailors................you know the story.

But personally on my Zap 26, a mid 80's design, with a green crew that I was afraid for in 25 knts of wind off of platform Gilda and on the way to  Ventura Harbor, we hit top speed of 15.5knts and sailed a sustained of 11 to 13 knts, with big pacific waves making an 8 mile down wind in about 45 minutes. We did douse the kite before the gybe about 2 miles out because of the green crew, I did not want loose anyone or the boat or any sails. The boat felt like it was on ice at 15.5 knts.

My numbers may be off a bit but everyone had big smiles after the race. and I was so glad, being a disabled skipper to keep the boat upright and everyone safe.

We Won, because no one else flew the kite....................................boooo yaaaaaaaa

7 hours ago, glexpress said:

Yes!  That's what I'm talking about.  Guaranteed that boat has more white knuckles aboard than a sport boat would!

I think I977,

Sport Boats, we don't need no stinking Sport Boats

merlin_submarine.jpg.0687ed7e6a3aa8853b231e2d9150beae.jpg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, LB 15 said:

From what I've heard, you're not that good a shot.

57 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

From what I've heard, you're not that good a shot.

Following me around to hump my leg now cup cake. Look I am flattered but my Border collie is going to get jealous so how about you just go sniff someone else’s arse.

1985 ... 24 knots “Thursday’s Child”... on the helm blast reaching 

On 10/17/2019 at 5:00 PM, LB 15 said:

So your speed was in fact 31.5 knots then?

Could have been if knotmeter wrong..but I saw 35.  No 10% on that fact.

• Like 1

First liveaboard cruising boat,  fully loaded: Fortune 30. Very heavy Stan Huntinford design. 11 knots while surfing a very big ass swell. I believe GPS was measuring vertical + horizontal velocity sum. 

Second liveaboard cruising catamaran. 15.4 steady on a beam reach with main + genoa, 25 knots of wind.  Lightly loaded. 

More than that at 3 am with spinnaker up + tropical squall. Saw 14 and climbing fast before I went forward to get the chute down. 

23 on a Volvo 60, reaching with a small kite. Fast but you could tell the boat was loafing and had lots more.