Greyhound37

anybody board the First 53 at the Annapolis Show?

Will be very popular in the Med. Looks gorg for sure.

I know straight lines are easy to build, but damn. Could there be one curve other than the hull? 

The design looks pretty nice and it would certainly be comfortable but properly equipped, in the water here would not leave much change from a $Mil.

For that kind of money I want more than arborite.

I did get aboard the 53 this afternoon. My first reaction was poor mans Wally.   

2 hours ago, Raz'r said:

I know straight lines are easy to build, but damn. Could there be one curve other than the hull? 

Guilty pleasure, except for the wheels...but $600,000 plus?

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

The design looks pretty nice and it would certainly be comfortable but properly equipped, in the water here would not leave much change from a $Mil.

For that kind of money I want more than arborite.

But, but, Arborite is a global leader in laminate technology!

38 minutes ago, Greyhound37 said:

I did get aboard the 53 this afternoon. My first reaction was poor mans Wally.   

Upper middle class Wally?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Amati said:

Upper middle class Wally?

The 1% Wally. Only the .01% can afford a real Wally. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

As I said in another thread about this boat in another thread. Probably the best looking Beneteau ever built.

Uhhhhhh....not quite.

image.png.8881db29881e21a96d79c3a6a9e849d9.png

1 hour ago, Pokey uh da LBC said:

By comparison, the J160 just looks so... Old. 

But is it less comfortable? Slower? Less seaworthy? I wonder.

Probably less seaworthy.  It's a Med charter boat not a passage maker.  I'm sure it's a great boat and it looks beautiful.  But it's a boat designed for rich white girls to take Instagram selfies.

• Like 1

The cockpit and deck layout is amazing and reminds of the Solaris yachts. Below deck though, it seemed thst less focus on performance and more of the usual (very nice) Beneteau style.  I was surprised it didn’t have a keel stepped mast or traveller, which makes me question the performance claim.

Overall, a good move back towards performance cruiser.

1 hour ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

As I said in another thread about this boat in another thread. Probably the best looking Beneteau ever built.

Gorn what thread was that?

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

Gorn what thread was that?

Can't recall exactly. But it was a month or 2 ago from memory.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Uhhhhhh....not quite.

image.png.8881db29881e21a96d79c3a6a9e849d9.png

Now we're talking...

$1M yacht is not 1%.  It's already 0.1% and up.  Will they come out with a ~45' version for half that?  

IMG_1229.thumb.JPG.c1c3b0ef06908261523c564368152804.JPG

25 minutes ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

Can't recall exactly. But it was a month or 2 ago from memory.

Thanks.. couldn't find anything.

4 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Thanks.. couldn't find anything.

Thinking back on it now, it may have been in Facebookland not here...

Best looking Beneteau ever?  NFW!  The Early '80's First Series were the best looking Beneteaus ever.  This is a mere poseur...

• Like 1

Just looks like a performance cruiser. The infused hull is a nice touch but it still weighs 15500kg before fluids and optional extras. To be a competitive boat it would need the 3m iron + lead keel, the carbon mast and a decent set of racing sails, by which time you’ll be into an extra £300k+. It will look right at home in st tropez where it will race once or twice a year. It looks good though

10 hours ago, Swimsailor said:

Probably less seaworthy.  It's a Med charter boat not a passage maker.  I'm sure it's a great boat and it looks beautiful.  But it's a boat designed for rich white girls to take Instagram selfies.

Ding ding. Boat looks gorgeous at the dock, and is lovely down below, but the list of issues to actually sail her are pretty long. No foot chocks behind the wheels so you can actually stay on the deck and drive while heeled. No hand holds down below in the very wide cabin. No staysail tack hardpoint on the foredeck. No storage space for sails. Not sure how the aft cabins would be while under way, but there isn't much in terms of sleeping space in the saloon. Basically you're looking at close to $1mil for a swim platform. Pass.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Swimsailor said:

2 hours ago, samc99us said:

Ding ding. Boat looks gorgeous at the dock, and is lovely down below, but the list of issues to actually sail her are pretty long. No foot chocks behind the wheels so you can actually stay on the deck and drive while heeled. No hand holds down below in the very wide cabin. No staysail tack hardpoint on the foredeck. No storage space for sails. Not sure how the aft cabins would be while under way, but there isn't much in terms of sleeping space in the saloon. Basically you're looking at close to $1mil for a swim platform. Pass.

Spent 2 days at the show, mostly in tents talking with vendors. Not much in terms of boats to interest us. Did step aboard the First 53 for giggles and the two above nailed it.  We are multihull folks anyway but this was all style and no substance.  The two above nailed it.

3 hours ago, samc99us said:

From the pictures, there are pop ups from the deck to stand on while healed. 

12 minutes ago, trimfast said:

Dont bother with facts, they just want to bash Beneteau. 

Not only were there chocks but there were also overhead handholds (inadequate IMHO) to be fair.  But no at least for me this ain't about bashing Bendy.   If going monohull its true I far prefer Outbound or Garcia, but I did step aboard the First 53 with an open mind.

2 hours ago, Mark Set said:

Dont bother with facts, they just want to bash Beneteau. 

No one is bashing.  Wess actually stepped aboard and agreed with my assessment.  I answered a comparison to the J/160.  I would cross any ocean in the J.  The First 53 is a looker, and maybe a short coastal race could be a good ride.  But I don't think it's a bluewater cruiser or passage maker and I'm assuming none of the many buyers (sold out through 2020 I hear) will be doing much of that anyway. 

Beneteau makes great boats.  I would love to have an Antares 27 or a Seascape 24.  I've had some great times on a 36.7 and the 10R was an incredibly underrated offering.  

It's ok to give an honest assessment.

41 minutes ago, Swimsailor said:

No one is bashing.  Wess actually stepped aboard and agreed with my assessment.  I answered a comparison to the J/160.  I would cross any ocean in the J.  The First 53 is a looker, and maybe a short coastal race could be a good ride.  But I don't think it's a bluewater cruiser or passage maker and I'm assuming none of the many buyers (sold out through 2020 I hear) will be doing much of that anyway. 

Beneteau makes great boats.  I would love to have an Antares 27 or a Seascape 24.  I've had some great times on a 36.7 and the 10R was an incredibly underrated offering.  

Same with me.  Hell I own one right now, a 94 First 310, which doesn't look as good as our earlier 84.  I happen to think the mid-80's First series boats were the best looking of the bunch, but that's just my opinion.  I've also owned a J/109 (good looking) and S2 9.1 (had its awkward angles) I grew up in the IOR era, and think moderate IOR boats generally look very good.  

I don't really like the "Wally/Euro" look.  Not on this boat, not on the new swans, or many others I can think of.  

Jus' trying to be honest. ;)

11 minutes ago, Crash said:

I happen to think the mid-80's First series boats were the best looking of the bunch, but that's just my opinion. 

Nope - that's a fact. ;)

IMO the Frers First 42 is likely the best looking boat of that size ever offered. Even better than similar sized Swans of that era.

Frers was (is?) a master - a true artist. There were so many very similar designs back then but his always looked the best. I guess subtle little differences can make all the difference.

1 hour ago, Swimsailor said:

But I don't think it's a bluewater cruiser or passage maker and I'm assuming none of the many buyers (sold out through 2020 I hear) will be doing much of that anyway

Haven't you answered your own question? For boats of this style the majority of purchase decisions are made by the female partner.

4 hours ago, trimfast said:

I checked, at least on the boat show boat the port side were missing. I was actually excited about this boat from the online pressers, and I'm not bashing beneteau or this particular First 53, but for >$800k I would prefer a boat that is more suited to ocean crossing. That's just my preference. I thought the fit and finish quality was high, the interior features/LED lighting/multiple zone climate system was very nice. I didn't dig into the bulkheads/structure but I would expect that to be reasonable.

For me, at similar price points I'm more excited about boats like the Pogo 50 and some multihull offerings. None are really practical, so looking down range at some of the newer 34-38 footers.

16 hours ago, Crash said:

Best looking Beneteau ever?  NFW!  The Early '80's First Series were the best looking Beneteaus ever

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Nope - that's a fact. ;)

IMO the Frers First 42 is likely the best looking boat of that size ever offered. Even better than similar sized Swans of that era.

I have done major refits to a handfull 1980/90's Firsts mainly for serious offshore cruising. I would not bother doing that for any Beneteau built post the 90's on account of build outcomes that Beneteau had to incorporate to keep their production boats within certain price points.

My favourite was the early 90's Farr/Pininfarina First 53F5 which Interestingly is the exact 30 year old equivalent to this. My favourite largely as 90's boats shook off the shackles IOR and made the the move to less tortured look of IMS and Channel Handicap in Europe, where this First was very successful.

23 hours ago, Amati said:

Guilty pleasure, except for the wheels.

The First was the first production boat to sport two wheels from memory. On that subject here are few quick side by side historical comparisons. 

The First was about a tonne lighter than todays model due to less volume offset by heavier build or no IKEA shit etc in this First Yacht. All running gear was top of the range and sized appropriately and a solid Sparcraft alloy masthead rig with rod rigging as standard.

For its time it had a fair bit of beam aft but obviously not as much as we see today. Obviously not as flat-bottomed as modern designs but for offshore comfort I see that more U shaped hull form as a plus not a negative.  

huya98ri56-157594-12.jpg.fcb2a06289b9b1bc60054911c437e792.jpg

beneteau-first-53f5-203198_14e.jpg.c64607468151938c0c48ce1ea74c0280.jpg

This was a serious head turner for it time but at the same time a solid work platform lacking the shortcomings in the modern "tennis court/solarium" approach like in this new First Yacht.

Beneteau First 53F5

beneteau-first-53f5-203198_38e.jpg.a0890457112b00faae84b6e122fc917d.jpg

beneteau-first-53f5-203198_39e.jpg.d6591715951c36a9d59d5b4033c796fc.jpg

20973178_images-2019-10-15T162758_529.jpeg.86dc1c7bff6dd0a707aed9166b006c74.jpeg

592657493_images-2019-10-15T153445_547.jpeg.407f7fff549582445565b4b937493e3f.jpeg

Beneteau First Yacht 53

7139004_20190705072636508_1_XLARGE.jpg.c995f35b451f15cc2bcd8369a9a38f10.jpg

1587335_images-2019-10-15T174316_361.jpeg.093f2e480e45c5d99333a5071122845d.jpeg

934437901_images-2019-10-15T153259_793.jpeg.55fd9c07db7a985b7bbf98b80a055758.jpeg

FB_IMG_1571115028948.thumb.jpg.4459aa84b8d3cbcc3fb663b94cd179e8.jpg

FB_IMG_1571115150002.thumb.jpg.f5316dab9c27abdb1726d3f0fa36d226.jpg

10 hours ago, samc99us said:

Basically you're looking at close to $1mil for a swim platform. Pass.

Well not much has changed in 30 years of marketing boats.

The electric controlled passarelle on the First people looked at with envy. With the benefit of its fat arse todays youngster can sport a dingy garage, which for a 50 footer is not common. That will be a big selling point like the First's passarelle IMO.

831441734_images-2019-10-15T153535_874.jpeg.eebc8a3ace793df132955832d24e32d1.jpeg

carousel_beneteau-first-yacht-53-2019-for-sale-united-states-of-america-001.jpg.89d445ffacc2d83081a244dc2f81f6b2.jpg

On 10/15/2019 at 6:23 AM, Raz'r said:

Other than two bulkheads in the ends, the cabin sole and bench tops, nearly every surface of the First is curved, including saloon bulkheads, doors and all joinery etc. I don't think Mr Pininfarina owned a fucking ruler. 

beneteau-first-53f5-203198_30e.jpg.b8ea7576f8aaf8ddad332b7c53abca57.jpg

FB_IMG_1571114838082.thumb.jpg.70001393d5f9cb6cde3790f7303fbdb7.jpg

PRICE

On 10/15/2019 at 7:22 AM, SloopJonB said:

For that kind of money I want more than aborite.

23 hours ago, Amati said:

Guilty pleasure, except for the wheels...but $600,000 plus?

Today's boat is around USD $600K plus sails, electronics, carbon rig etc. So a side by side comparison to the First is well north of USD$900K. The First 30 years ago was around USD$600K from memory so in today's dollars something around USD$1.5 million.

The difference is mainly in modern streamlined production techniques, wastage efficiencies with CAD cutting, infusion versus hand laid etc, material quality particularly joinery and a lesser quantum in running gear with modern sail plans etc.

The First was in a era where today's 50+ footer is yesterday's 40+ footer. The First was nearly built to order where less than 50 were built or less than one per month.

As you can see the modern version offers up very good value for money and is very sexy both which Beneteau are very good at. It is not designed to be a blue water boat so pretty pointless using that measure. As shown here 30 years ago you could get both sexy and offshore practicality/performance/comfort.

I will post a side by side comparison when I grab a chance which is pretty interesting in terms of Beneteau's generational design/marketing DNA .

• Like 4

I hated the use of small hatches as cabin ports.

A slightly better done version of this guy;

Shingled Cabintop.jpg

23 hours ago, socalrider said:

Now we're talking...

$1M yacht is not 1%.  It's already 0.1% and up.  Will they come out with a ~45' version for half that?  

IMG_1229.thumb.JPG.c1c3b0ef06908261523c564368152804.JPG

It’ll look too chunky.  Now, if it had 5’6” standing head room.......

10 hours ago, Wess said:

Not only were there chocks but there were also overhead handholds (inadequate IMHO) to be fair.  But no at least for me this ain't about bashing Bendy.   If going monohull its true I far prefer Outbound or Garcia, but I did step aboard the First 53 with an open mind.

:wub:

https://www.pogostructures.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/UK-POGO-50-BASIC-PRICE-2018.pdf

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

My favourite was the early 90's Farr/Pininfarina First 53F5

Thanks for that post, I hadn't known about the 53F5.  The curvy interior looks quite similar to the 47.7, which I think was also Pininfarina.  How's the 47.7 build versus the earlier Firsts?  I absolutely love our '87 First 405 (in the above pic); aside from her gorgeous lines I think I fell in love with her when I saw her chainplates - a really solid build, if a bit heavy.

2 hours ago, Amati said:

That's a compelling alternative for sure - about the same base price with the lifting keel and carbon mast... gorgeous!

Glad they're building Firsts again at any rate.  

1 hour ago, socalrider said:

Thanks for that post, I hadn't known about the 53F5.  The curvy interior looks quite similar to the 47.7, which I think was also Pininfarina.

The 47.7 is Farr only, no Pininfarina that was first built in 2000. The smaller version of the 53f5 is the 45f5.

How's the 47.7 build versus the earlier Firsts?  I absolutely love our '87 First 405 (in the above pic);

The is a substantive build difference between the 53/45 F5's and the 47.7. The F5's are closer to your 405 build wise.

Glad they're building Firsts again at any rate.  

First is a marketing name only and does not differentiate build or features within their cruiser racer market segment. I suspect they have brought it back as that segment is now very confusing and their own cruiser/charter stuff is also bumping alongside making it harder for those who don't understand the differences. I see they call it the "First Yacht" to differentiate with older First series boats which gets confusing at resale time and which may be the reason they dropped the name in the first place for successful non Firsts liked the 40 and 50 footer cruiser/racer.

Also maybe brand loyalty with their clients some where they may have had a First then have family, busy working life and stepsl away from sailing for a while. Then later on kids older etc so gets back into sailing and immediately sees a brand name they already trust.

Were the first First seen as ocean passage makers, non.
B as the Oceanis line for that. this one is a fun boat with a big waterline.
their statement;
Luxury Performance, fast luxurious cruising.
I think they have the luxury nailed. And if you think of the Oceanis 55, that boat has speed were people did not expect it.
So maybe this one has it as well. Tests will tell.

At least if you see one in port you can not accuse it of being able to go around the world but never sees a night offshore, as many ocean passage capable boats do.

This does open the door for the forthcoming first models, next year should see them unveil an irc boat around 35ish ft designed with the old team on the Seascape side of the company

Too bad Beneteau didn't make the boat compliant with the OSRs. The stern light is mounted below the sheer line. That's the light on the starboard side below the cockpit sole. If there is a masthead tri-color that works but the hull mounted lights won't be legal as the often required second set. 

FB_IMG_1571115150002.thumb.jpg.f5316dab9c27abdb1726d3f0fa36d226.jpg

The new Dehler 30 OD is even worse, they mounted the stern light dead center in the transom, lower than the cockpit sole.  

• Like 1

The lack of traveler is a good director of what this thing is meant for.

Sadly. Because she looks awesome. Good hull shape. Under powered and over weight, with no way to get more power into the rig.

The 1st mate and I walked the boat after making an appointment.  She would take it.  As long as we were thumbing through the Wishbook, I told her I thought the Outbound 56 was a more practical ride.

Then I asked the French engineer from the design team about the lack of a Nav station, especially on a racing vessel.  His reply was that the race planning, etc. would be performed on a laptop.

Finally, I spoke with one of the salesmen about the sale price, just for shits and grins.  The sail away price was about $1.2M, although they could probably come down to $1.1.

16 hours ago, ctutmark said:

Too bad Beneteau didn't make the boat compliant with the OSRs. The stern light is mounted below the sheer line. That's the light on the starboard side below the cockpit sole. If there is a masthead tri-color that works but the hull mounted lights won't be legal as the often required second set. 

For motoring only.

Racing: Comes standard with Tricolour. Rail clip ons for 2nd OSR set like most boats.

57 minutes ago, Deadhead said:

The sail away price was about $1.2M, although they could probably come down to $1.1.

That is with US shipping plus road transport and local dealer put together costs ie. keel, rig etc incl in that.

6 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

For motoring only.

Racing: Comes standard with Tricolour. Rail clip ons 2nd set.

Wonder if the Dehler 30 OD has a similar "option" seems like a 7Ps situation. Here's a pic of the Dehler with the stern light: 

MjAxOTA5OTQ1M2M2Njc3MGI1Y2VkODlkYTU3OTgyMDM0NzI5Mjk.jpg

I like the dinghy garage on it.  Its so nice not having to deal with hauling a tender on deck, nor having ugly davits.  That's one reason I really like the Hanse 575.

10 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

I like the dinghy garage on it.  Its so nice not having to deal with hauling a tender on deck, nor having ugly davits.  That's one reason I really like the Hanse 575.

there was a boat in BVI a long time ago,  not only the trunk for the  dinghy, but a couple of jetskis , and a bunch of other toys.. 

On 10/15/2019 at 1:19 PM, Swimsailor said:

The First 53 is a full blown bluewater offshore boat.  It is no Cyclades or Oceanis.  

What is your evidence that it isn't?  The "First" line is a much more substantial boat than anything else produced by Beneteau.  

1 hour ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

there was a boat in BVI a long time ago,  not only the trunk for the  dinghy, but a couple of jetskis , and a bunch of other toys.. 

Sounds like a super yacht. :)  Having a dinghy garage on a 50 footer is pretty exceptional.  I see a lot of design queues from Hanse in this Bene.

1 hour ago, jzk said:

The First 53 is a full blown bluewater offshore boat.  It is no Cyclades or Oceanis.  

What is your evidence that it isn't?  The "First" line is a much more substantial boat than anything else produced by Beneteau.  

Let's start with the totally exposed cockpit, no protection from anything wind, rain or waves coming over the deck. Even the bimini attaches to the boom so no protection from the sun either

Next the absence of dedicated sea berths - although I guess you could rig some sort of leecloths across the double beds, but you'd still be sleeping in the ends of the boat.

Lack of a navigation table might prove unpractical, or perhaps if you trust your electronics enough, it might not. By the way, I see no communications equipment installed anywhere inside or outside...:blink:

Moving along, all the furniture is built right up against the hull - this leads me to suspect there is not a great abundance of storage space for all the stores, spares and sundries that you might need on an ocean passage.

Oh yes, you better ensure your autopilot is bulletproof reliable, because there is no backrest for the helmsman to be able to steer in any kind of comfort.

This is a Mediterranean day sailer, nothing more.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, alphafb552 said:

Let's start with the totally exposed cockpit, no protection from anything wind, rain or waves coming over the deck. Even the bimini attaches to the boom so no protection from the sun either

Next the absence of dedicated sea berths - although I guess you could rig some sort of leecloths across the double beds, but you'd still be sleeping in the ends of the boat.

Lack of a navigation table might prove unpractical, or perhaps if you trust your electronics enough, it might not. By the way, I see no communications equipment installed anywhere inside or outside...:blink:

Moving along, all the furniture is built right up against the hull - this leads me to suspect there is not a great abundance of storage space for all the stores, spares and sundries that you might need on an ocean passage.

Oh yes, you better ensure your autopilot is bulletproof reliable, because there is no backrest for the helmsman to be able to steer in any kind of comfort.

You are saying that by virtue of its design, it is impossible to add a dodger?  Bimini?  Communication equipment?  Have you examined the storage compartments on the vessel?  The idea that this boat is "nothing more" than a day sailer is ridiculous.  

1 hour ago, alphafb552 said:

Sleeping in the aft cabins is just fine  They are not at the end of the boat.  The front cabin could prove worthless.

I pretty much use autopilot the entire time from leaving the harbor until I return except to drive now and then.  They are very reliable.  Get two if you are worried.  

16 minutes ago, jzk said:

You are saying that by virtue of its design, it is impossible to add a dodger?  Bimini?  Communication equipment?  Have you examined the storage compartments on the vessel?  The idea that this boat is "nothing more" than a day sailer is ridiculous.  

Nothing is impossible of course, but neither the designers nor the builders have left any visible trace of consideration for these items.

IMO, the design brief put more emphasis on esthetics, rather than ocean going capabilities. I suspect they will be proven correct, that indeed there are enough Wally wannabes lining up for this boat at this price range. Very few of that crowd have the ambition to cross oceans. If they want to do the Caribbean in the winter, the boat will be shipped over.

Again, nothing will stop you from adding all the bits and pieces you’d need to cross an ocean in safety and comfort - but that is not why Beneteau decided to build this boat.

Just now, alphafb552 said:

Nothing is impossible of course, but neither the designers nor the builders have left any visible trace of consideration for these items.

IMO, the design brief put more emphasis on esthetics, rather than ocean going capabilities. I suspect they will be proven correct, that indeed there are enough Wally wannabes lining up for this boat at this price range. Very few of that crowd have the ambition to cross oceans. If they want to do the Caribbean in the winter, the boat will be shipped over.

Again, nothing will stop you from adding all the bits and pieces you’d need to cross an ocean in safety and comfort - but that is not why Beneteau decided to build this boat.

It is true that, like most consumer sailboats, ocean crossings will be rare.  But to say that this boat is not fully capable is silly.  That is different than saying that you don't like this modern design.  To each his own.  One is just a preference.  The other is just a mistake of fact.  

I never said anything about the boat not being capable, people have crossed oceans in bathtubs for crying out loud.

You could cross the Sahara desert in a Rolls Royce, that doesn’t mean it’s a good idea.

1 hour ago, alphafb552 said:

Can you imagine a brand new yacht being delivered to a boat show without electronics or canvas? oh wait that's how they all come from the factory.

39 minutes ago, alphafb552 said:

I never said anything about the boat not being capable, people have crossed oceans in bathtubs for crying out loud.

You could cross the Sahara desert in a Rolls Royce, that doesn’t mean it’s a good idea.

Making it across an ocean in a bathtub does not make it capable.  It makes you lucky.

In that video you can see Bene have pulled the classic boatbuilder's trick - call it the 53' but build it 56' long so people think it's roomy when they cross-shop with actual 53 footers.

Wide boat that can get up and heel in a hurry with only magnets holding storage doors shut. 

What do they call the interior storage compartments facing port/starboard?

A beach towel garage?

On 10/15/2019 at 3:38 PM, jack_sparrow said:

image.png.ee11b8238de14bac44e582661b7ee1bb.png 

Diging on the Benne, but that setee...  OOF!!!

I like it. It's a Med boat. Roomy, comfortable, and port lights down below so you're not in a cave. Nice. No desire to go round the marble.

On 10/14/2019 at 2:23 PM, Raz'r said:

It's got a reverse sheer and a matching reverse curve on the cabin top. Which to me is a meh kinda look, but that's not to say this boat isn't, well, awesome. And what's wrong with straight lines? When Lief Bailey drew the B25 with all straight lines in profile, I thought that was a freakin cool boat. Still do. :)

first-yacht-53_ext10.jpg

exterieur_6.jpg.997c0c59ba40ece0d4e951bc3b2178d7.jpg

It looks fast.  Will be interested to see if anyone campaigns one and how it does.  I had kinda written off Benetoys but this one is kinda inspiring.  

1 hour ago, MauiPunter said:

I had kinda written off Benetoys but this one is kinda inspiring.  

Definition of written off?

I have watched Beneteau closely evolve over more than three decades and can't pick a period where you would write them off. They have always been at front end of the productioncruiser/racer price point pack.

The only significant change was from late 90's where durability for converting them into decent long passage makers dropped away courtesy of higher volumes being produced and consequential build methods.

This post marked that change IMO.

On 10/16/2019 at 7:38 AM, jack_sparrow said:

I have done major refits to a handfull 1980/90's Firsts mainly for serious offshore cruising. I would not bother doing that for any Beneteau built post the 90's on account of build outcomes that Beneteau had to incorporate to keep their production boats within certain price points.

My favourite was the early 90's Farr/Pininfarina First 53F5 which Interestingly is the exact 30 year old equivalent to this. My favourite largely.....

It's still an oversized day sailor.  You wouldn't want to to spend a few weeks on board one of those unless it was anchored off some Med resort..

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Definition of written off?

I have watched Beneteau closely evolve over more than three decades and can't pick a period where you would write them off. They have always been at front end of the productioncruiser/racer price point pack.

The only significant change was from late 90's where durability for converting them into decent long passage makers dropped away courtesy of higher volumes being produced and consequential build methods.

This post marked that change IMO.

I desired an 80s-90s Beneteau First series from the 42, the 435, the 456, the 51 and the onto the 53f5.   Once the 2000s started, I was meh.  Nothing got my juices flowing and I definitely couldn't see myself owning one.  Their performance and durability was suspect.  This new 53 is the first time in years that a new model of the Beneteau line that actually grabbed my attention.  No idea about build quality yet and look forward to seeing if the performance pans out.  But, I am actually paying attention to this one, compared to all the ones previous since the 90s.

• Like 1

Once the 2000s started, I was meh.  Nothing got my juices flowing and I definitely couldn't see myself owning one. 

Yep Maui we both agree there except I have no issues with post 2,000's other than recycling for blue water cruising.

Their still current 40' (that will shortly be superceded) is probably their most successful race course cruiser/racer ever built and with handicap results aplenty.

2 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Yep Maui we both agree there except I have no issues with post 2,000's other than recycling for blue water cruising.

Their still current 40' (that will shortly be superceded) is probably their most successful race course cruiser/racer ever built and with handicap results aplenty.

Are you talking about the First 40.7?

Are you talking about the First 40.7?

No while 40.7 very IMS successful I'm not a great fan. Meant the replacement IRC optimised Farr designed 40'.

Large_1First 40.jpg

Large_5121Q3239First40.jpg

Ah, ok.  I am not very familiar with this model.  I had tuned out by the time this came out.  That's great news that its very successful racer.  Perhaps that bodes well for the 53.

On 10/30/2019 at 12:36 AM, MauiPunter said:

The POGO 50 in this thread looks like it has a perfect spot for a dinghy garage.

14 hours ago, savoir said:

It's still an oversized day sailor.  You wouldn't want to to spend a few weeks on board one of those unless it was anchored off some Med resort..

You and I obviously have very different comfort level requirements. I could happily spend months cruising on one. (But then I did spend six months cruising a GK24 before switching to a Hurley 22)

I would hate to spend a day sailing one of those to windward through 10ft seas.  Nowhere to hide.  In order to be functional the dodger would have to be a huge structure around 10ft wide and the bimini would have to be even bigger at around 14ft wide.  There is also a serious absence of lockers.

On 11/3/2019 at 10:17 AM, savoir said:

I would hate to spend a day sailing one of those to windward through 10ft seas.....There is also a serious  absence of lockers.

You and me too Sav. Modern wide arse tennis court cockpits might look great in the brochure (photographed at TWS 5K) and for bodies upstairs to max righting moment racing, but they are next to impossible to make "off the race course" or even "day sailing" friendly. Cruising.... fucking forget it. 

Best compromise I have seen in the 50' +/- club is the new Frers Swan 48. Even comes with a built in Dodger track.

Swan-48-upwind (1).jpg

7_2e9f23270b.jpeg

8_c9c13259c3.jpeg

Compare also to her 48' predecessor (had a small centre cockpit) built in late 90's, also a cracker of a boat.

3.jpg