Sign in to follow this  
H20

109 Gelcoat crazing

Been looking at 109's lately with a thought to buying one but the boats I see have loads of gel coat cracks/crazing whatever you call it all over the decks and cabin house. Unsure what years the boats are but not late model. Just noticed it on boats coming in for winter storage. I google searched it and saw nothing. Surprised about that. Anyone?

perhaps you're seeing it on 109s because that's what you're looking at right now.. pick another boat of same vintage and go look at a few of them.

Our 2005 109 had VERY minimal crazing when we sold it earlier this year.  Our boat also had very limited race use and was primarily cruised by us and the previous owners.  Many of the 109s that I have seen, with substantial gel-coat crazing,  are/were raced hard.  Keep looking  its a great boat and there are nice examples to be found - they also tend to get snatched up quickly.  If you haven't already, check the 109 class site its a great resource.

I heard  It was specific to certain years due to bad batch of gelcoat not sure which years. Thats what I was told when looking for a 109

4 hours ago, Gracious said:

I heard  It was specific to certain years due to bad batch of gelcoat not sure which years. Thats what I was told when looking for a 109

That would make sense. Sabre power boats had the same issue. Problem is you don't know you have a problem till years later. It's unfortunate what it must do to resale value but it's great if you are going to race it hard and put it away wet anyway. Which I am not.

If Gracious is right, and he usually is, any boats with that issue should be showing by now.  So you should be able to shop around and find a good 109 (from before/after) that doesn't have that issue

A lot of boats around 2001 had this problem including Hatteras,Cabo and many the power and sail boats. They banned some chemicals in the gelcoat mix and took them a couple of years before the problem surfaced (no pun intended). Then took a few more years to sort it out. Seem to worse on boats that have gone thru many freeze thaw cycles. Hatteras ended up painting a lot of boats to keep its good name. Google Hatteras or Cabo bad gelcoat.

I would think the french built 109's would not be subject to this problem.