danstanford

Raymarine/TackTick to a chartplotter?

New boat has Raymarine MN100-2 displays 4 in total but no chartplotter. My instinct was to replace the whole lot and install a new plotter but it does seem a little hasty if these instruments work. I do want a plotter for navigation work as she draws 6'6" which is almost too deep for lots of the places I used to go.

Hoping to hear from someone who has done this to avoid mistakes. It is my understanding that if I bought a new plotter say an Axiom 9 that I could buy a NMEA "converter" and these instruments would then display on the plotter just like the proper Raymarine ones? Will I give up any functionality I am used to?

When racing I would like to see both true and apparent wind speeds and angles plus compass heading for shifts. Being a tiller boat we don't have a binnacle with a compass so I will need to learn to watch an instrument rather than the compass for this.

Can I get what I want from this set-up?

Dan

Pretty easy, bis one of these Ray Micro Talk gateways and plug it Info your NMEA /Seatalk ng backbone that you will need anyway with a plotter and you are done. 

Not cheap but easy and works perfect with the Tackticks.

The 'compass' on your plotter will be COG over the ground & not your vessels actual heading unless you have an additional sensor that will give you vessel compass heading on your network. 

Currently in our J35, I am running a Raymarine e7D chart plotter, hard wired NMEA0183 to the TackTick NMEA Transmitter.  And it works great showing all the racing information and then some.  Basically, every bit of information that is supposed to be available on the readout is there. And the same information is also in the chart plotter.  

I am now in the process of making the e7D a stand alone plotter as a back up. I am installing an Axiom9 with a MicroTalk direct to the plotter which will pick up all the info from the Hull Transmitter, the masthead unit, and send all the info to the TackTick readouts.  This now means I only need to run the Hull Transmitter up front and the MicroTalk replaces the NMEA Transmitter. An easier setup than the older nmea0183. 

something to note.  I experimented running a MicroTalk into the B&G H5000 System on our other boat and it works like a dream.  I was able to get info from the B&G system to read out on TackTick readouts. 

6 hours ago, MiddayGun said:

The 'compass' on your plotter will be COG over the ground & not your vessels actual heading unless you have an additional sensor that will give you vessel compass heading on your network. 

Which you get if you have a networked autopilot (a pretty common but not universal purchase). 

5 hours ago, Alex W said:

Which you get if you have a networked autopilot (a pretty common but not universal purchase). 

OP needs to give more information. 
But given he was a tiller steered boat and he was updating an old instrument package it seems likely that if he does have an auto-helm its not an integrated system, but most likely a stand alone tiller pilot. 

Tiller steered boat with a Raymarine ST2000 tiller pilot. Integrating the pilot is not a priority since I never actually use the pilot to run a course but just use it to hold a heading. I actually have not seen any of these instruments run so I am trying to get a strategy in place and stuff bought before the mast goes back up in the spring. If I decide to upgrade the whole suite it is the right time to do it but my instinct is to get the plotter connected to the instruments and run her that way for a season. 

I confess to liking the idea of the TackTick remote since I may be single handing at times.

The other big issue for me is where to place the plotter. She is a J/88 and I have seen most of them on the aft vertical face of the house right where someone trimming and launching \dousing the spin will be which seems wrong, particularly with a touch screen. It is also a long way for these old eyes to see from the tiller.

10 hours ago, George Hackett said:

Currently in our J35, I am running a Raymarine e7D chart plotter, hard wired NMEA0183 to the TackTick NMEA Transmitter.  And it works great showing all the racing information and then some.  Basically, every bit of information that is supposed to be available on the readout is there. And the same information is also in the chart plotter.  

I am now in the process of making the e7D a stand alone plotter as a back up. I am installing an Axiom9 with a MicroTalk direct to the plotter which will pick up all the info from the Hull Transmitter, the masthead unit, and send all the info to the TackTick readouts.  This now means I only need to run the Hull Transmitter up front and the MicroTalk replaces the NMEA Transmitter. An easier setup than the older nmea0183. 

something to note.  I experimented running a MicroTalk into the B&G H5000 System on our other boat and it works like a dream.  I was able to get info from the B&G system to read out on TackTick readouts. 

George, can I discern that by the fact that you are going Raymarine this time that you prefer the Axiom to the B&G?

So in the new set-up, the TackTick displays will not use the original TackTick computer but now will simply be display heads for the Axiom? Sorry if this is basic, I am trying to understand. 

My boat is also tiller steered (but 2m longer). I mounted the plotter below decks and use an iPad on deck. I wasn’t excited about cutting a plotter shaped hole in my bulkhead when there is no standard size for those holes.  I do have 4 instrument displays above decks (two mast, two at bulkheads), but those do use standard mounts so it is easy to change as the tech improves. 

My plotter is a Raymarine and I can get full functionality from the iPad using the remote access app. I also have instruments repeated to WiFi and so the iPad can see AIS and all instrument data. 

I rarely use the plotter itself anymore and if doing it again I’d consider skipping it. 

23 hours ago, danstanford said:

George, can I discern that by the fact that you are going Raymarine this time that you prefer the Axiom to the B&G?

So in the new set-up, the TackTick displays will not use the original TackTick computer but now will simply be display heads for the Axiom? Sorry if this is basic, I am trying to understand. 

Hmm?  I like both system for their intended use.  For the Grand-Prix level of racing the B&G is the system of choice. That is what I have onboard Misty Mountain.  For club racing on Jo de Ros, the Raymarine Wireless which used to,be TacKTick is great.  

history.  Back 1997 when TackTick started, I became the dealer here in the Philippines.  The reason was the ease of installation.  I hate running wires.  And their service policy was to replace a readout instead or repair being that each unit is water tight. Plus it was cheaper to replace than repair.  To me a win win.  And if I could setup my own boat, it would mean I would have no problem with my clients. 

each Wireless Readout is a mini computer.  They all gather info from transducers that are hard wired to transmitters.  It is the transmitters that send out info to each readout.  And each unit does it’s own computation. A chart plotter can be connected to the system and will take and give info to the readouts for a complete system.  

the Raymarine chart plotter like the B&G chart plotter have racing functions like Start Line and others.  

the B&G system in Misty was installed in England by Diverse Yachts when she was being resurrected before shipping out here.  I had a brand new H5000 with Zeus3 installed and three years later, all is working great with no issues at all.

so my choice of Raymarine for Jo de Ros is just continuity and upgrade from an already cool, working system. 

they are both very good system and I highly recommend both.  

• Like 1

My previous boat was a J/30 that had a full TackTick suite with hull sensors, wind sensor, Racemaster Compass and 4 MN-100 displays.  Similar to the OP I wanted to integrate a chart plotter for navigation and used a Garmin GPS Map276 mounted in the companionway on a swing out arm.  This was integrated via NMEA 0183 using the TackTick T122 NMEA interface.  All worked well together.

I have installed a mid range B&G system on a friends J/109 that had a similar TackTick system.  As an interim step, all the TackTick sensors were kept and a MicroNet gateway used until the boat could be hauled.  There were 3 Triton 2 displays installed on a mast bracket and 3 on the spray hood with a B&G Triton Autopilot control for an NAC-2 autopilot.  A 12" Zeus 3 was installed at the helm.  This worked OK and all the TackTick stuff was removed after the boat was hauled with the B&G hull and wind sensors installed.  After launching the following spring all worked well with better calibration and performance noted with the B&G sensors.  Most likely due to less lag in the wired vs wireless system.

My own J/109 I went for a fully integrated B&G system with H5000 Hercules and H5000 Pilot as an upgrade last year.  It replaced a mixture of Raymarine, Garmin/Nexus sensors and displays.  I kept the Airmar speed sensor and Garmin gWind Race transducer. The installation and setup with B&G is as described in this thread. I have been very happy with this setup.

For the OP - Either the Axiom or B&G chart plotter will work fine with the setup you are trying to do.  You should look at both and play with the display to see which features and interface you like best.  I had the earlier Raymarine Lighthouse II software on my chart plotter and like it pretty well.  When the Axiom was first introduced, Raymarine slowed down the performance sailing software updates, so I decided to go with the Zeus 3 when I upgraded.  I'm pretty happy with it, but still like some of the waypoint and route management features on the Raymarine better.

ps - if you don't have an electronic compass the B&G ZG100 has compass and GPS and should be sufficient for your type of racing.

• Like 1