bigrpowr

Vendee Globe 2020

With about a year to start, and HB, Charal, and the other weapons emerging, i can't wait to see what this race has in store. I'm really excited for this race and all the lead-up races like TJV.

Just checked the weather forecast on Windy and Predict Wind, and they both predict that it will be windy.

• Like 2

Here we go ... again

11/03/2019

" I love the South. I love the raw power of the waves, the sometimes terrifying fury of the wind... I am already restless to return, homesick for a place I have not yet left." 

These words are taken from a blog post I wrote at sea while approaching Cape Horn nearly three years ago. Even as the waves crashed around me and my breath condensed in the cold air around me, I dreamed of coming back. 

Today I am a  lot closer to that dream as the Vendee Globe announced the sailors that have been accepted for 2020 and I'm on the list! 

Getting here has been a real team effort and I have been supported by the incredible team at Ethical Power. There's a lot more work to do to get to the startline next year but we've got a great team, a good boat and a year to go! 

More details to come soon. 

http://www.conradcolman.com/single-post/2019/11/03/Here-we-go-again

So Conrad will do the next Vendée !

"There's a lot more work to do to get to the startline next year but we've got a great team, a good boat and a year to go!" 

Anybody knows which boat that is ?

• Like 3

Was just thinking about it this morning, him not being in the TJV if he would make it for the the VG.

Yeah, great news for him and us, and for the race, as he is  so tough and such a good communicater.
And  "Anybody knows which boat that is?".  Maybe he knows?  @conrad_colman  ?

• Like 1

Based purely on the downwind/reaching we saw in the channel in the TJV when all the foilers were close up and in the same conditions, I'd say favourites are Charal and Apivia with Hugo Boss being a bit of a dark horse. There is always a possibility that the 2 knot advantage we saw was an anomaly. Personally I hope it isn't, but let's wait and see.

As for outsiders, Initiatives Coeurs followed by Advens and Maitre Coq. There's just something about Advens that gives me doubts. I'm not sure about Kojiro, sure he has essentially, a slightly improved Charal, but we know so little about him. 

10 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Was just thinking about it this morning, him not being in the TJV if he would make it for the the VG.

Yeah, great news for him and us, and for the race, as he is  so tough and such a good communicater.
And  "Anybody knows which boat that is?".  Maybe he knows?  @conrad_colman  ?

Ditto on Conrad's appeal. No news about which boat, but looks like Stewart Hosford , still CEO of 5 West (Conrad's partner with Renewable Racing) would know.

Hosford did great work guiding Alex's sponsorship with HB, so I can happily dream of Conrad deservedly getting the same chance. Just as Keith Mills backed Alex, dreaming he will guide Conrad too.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Raptorsailor said:

I'd say favourites are Charal and Apivia with Hugo Boss being a bit of a dark horse.

Will depend if the dark horse can keep it in the pink during a whole VG without overdoing it.

Apivia is the boat impressing me the most at this stage, looks to be challenging Charal on pace with a boat barely wet (recent launch but also better cockpit). It won't need much refinement to get to Charal. 11th hour showing the old HB still has it, and special mention to BP (hopefully Cremer can learn a lot from Armel).

Yann Elies on a new boat, sponsor to be announced. Quite a close schedule, very few development time...

• Like 1

Current state of the quali miles for those in need...includes the TJV..  The Transat CIC and New York-Vendée  add another 6,600+ miles available next year.  Everyone below Damien Seguin is at risk assuming all those above and actually make the final start list (funding etc).  The last few are really in trouble

Tip & Shaft: The selection for the Vendée Globe 2020

Arnaud Boissières VG finisher                  

Fabrice Amedeo VG finisher                  

Alan Roura VG finisher                  

Romain Attanasio VG finisher                  

Sébastien Destremau
VG finisher                  

Jean Le Cam VG finisher                  

Louis Burton VG finisher                  

Conrad Colman VG finisher                  

Didac Costa VG finisher                  

Jérémie Beyou VG finisher + New boat                  

Alex Thomson VG finisher + New boat                  

Yann Eliès VG finisher + New boat                  

Charlie Dalin New boat                  

Sebastien Simon New boat                  

Armel Tripon New boat                  

Kojiro Shiraishi New boat                  

Thomas Ruyant New boat                  

Nicolas Troussel New boat
Monaco Globe Series
Route of the Rum Bermuda Fastnet TJV The Transat NY-Vendée Total BEFORE TJV Total AFTER TJV (to date)

Boris Herrmann Qualif miles 650 3600 2000 300 2175     6550 8725

Manuel Cousin Qualif miles 650 3600 2000 300 2175     6550 8725

Stéphane Le Diraison
Qualif miles 650 3600 2000 300 2175     6550 8725

Alexia Barrier Qualif miles 650 3600 2000   2175     6250 8425

Damien Seguin Qualif miles   3600 2000 300 2175     5900 8075

Ari Huusela Qualif miles   3600 2000   2175     5600 7775

Erik Nigon Qualif miles   3600     2175     3600 5775

Sam Davies Qualif miles   540 2000 300 2175     2840 5015

Yannick Bestaven Qualif miles   452 2000 300 2175     2752 4927

Giancarlo Pedote Qualif miles     2000 300 2175     2300 4475

Pip Hare Qualif miles     2000 300 2175     2300 4475

Miranda Merron Qualif miles     2000 300 2175     2300 4475

Maxime Sorel Qualif miles     2000 50 2175     2050 4225

Kevin Escoffier Qualif miles       300 2175     300 2475

Clarisse Crémer Qualif miles       300 2175     300 2475

Denis Van Weynbergh
Qualif miles     2000 300       2300 2300

Benjamin Dutreux Qualif miles         2175     0 2175

Clément Giraud Qualif miles     2000         2000 2000

Isabelle Joschke Qualif miles 650 452     100     1102 1202

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chasm said:

With just one year to go Conrad is working on his training methods...

Laughed, but hope he continues his writing . Lots can do silly vids, but few racers of his calibre can write as well as he does.

• Like 3

https://www.scanvoile.com/2019/11/un-an-avant-le-depart-du-vendee-globe-2020.html#.Xcb6qO3Yo3E

A little early VG PR. 2.5 million people?

365 days to be ready on November 8, 2020
At each edition of the Vendée Globe, Les Sables d'Olonne is in the spotlight. In 2016-2017, more than 2.5 million people visited the Vendée Globe village and walked the Vendée Globe pontoon. For the 2020-2021 edition, the public will discover a redeveloped Vendée Globe square. The improvements started work in September 2019.

The Vendée Globe, beyond the race, is a popular festival. This international event will punctuate the life of Les Sables d'Olonne during the coming months. The city is preparing to gradually take on the colors of the Vendée Globe; prepare different sites and neighborhoods to invite the public to browse the streets, squares and share the Vendée Globe.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jb5 said:

https://www.scanvoile.com/2019/11/un-an-avant-le-depart-du-vendee-globe-2020.html#.Xcb6qO3Yo3E

A little early VG PR. 2.5 million people?

365 days to be ready on November 8, 2020
At each edition of the Vendée Globe, Les Sables d'Olonne is in the spotlight. In 2016-2017, more than 2.5 million people visited the Vendée Globe village and walked the Vendée Globe pontoon. For the 2020-2021 edition, the public will discover a redeveloped Vendée Globe square. The improvements started work in September 2019.

The Vendée Globe, beyond the race, is a popular festival. This international event will punctuate the life of Les Sables d'Olonne during the coming months. The city is preparing to gradually take on the colors of the Vendée Globe; prepare different sites and neighborhoods to invite the public to browse the streets, squares and share the Vendée Globe.

Indeed, nice city marketing. Take the numbers with a sniff of salt. Or two.

16 minutes ago, Herman said:

Indeed, nice city marketing. Take the numbers with a sniff of salt. Or two

. . .  or 2.5. At least they didn't use the 2.3 billion number

The race set media records too, becoming the offshore sailing race most followed worldwide on social media. It was the French sporting event achieving the biggest impact that year (more than Roland Garros and the Tour de France). 2.2 million visitors attended the start and finish of the race. And the three months of racing was followed by a TV and press audience of 2.3 billion.

On 11/8/2019 at 1:18 PM, jb5 said:

Current state of the quali miles for those in need...includes the TJV..  The Transat CIC and New York-Vendée  add another 6,600+ miles available next year.  Everyone below Damien Seguin is at risk assuming all those above and actually make the final start list (funding etc).  The last few are really in trouble

Tip & Shaft: The selection for the Vendée Globe 2020

Arnaud Boissières VG finisher                  

Fabrice Amedeo VG finisher                  

Alan Roura VG finisher                  

Romain Attanasio VG finisher                  

Sébastien Destremau
VG finisher                  

Jean Le Cam VG finisher                  

Louis Burton VG finisher                  

Conrad Colman VG finisher                  

Didac Costa VG finisher                  

Jérémie Beyou VG finisher + New boat                  

Alex Thomson VG finisher + New boat                  

Yann Eliès VG finisher + New boat                  

Charlie Dalin New boat                  

Sebastien Simon New boat                  

Armel Tripon New boat                  

Kojiro Shiraishi New boat                  

Thomas Ruyant New boat                  

Nicolas Troussel New boat
Monaco Globe Series
Route of the Rum Bermuda Fastnet TJV The Transat NY-Vendée Total BEFORE TJV Total AFTER TJV (to date)

Boris Herrmann Qualif miles 650 3600 2000 300 2175     6550 8725

Manuel Cousin Qualif miles 650 3600 2000 300 2175     6550 8725

Stéphane Le Diraison
Qualif miles 650 3600 2000 300 2175     6550 8725

Alexia Barrier Qualif miles 650 3600 2000   2175     6250 8425

Damien Seguin Qualif miles   3600 2000 300 2175     5900 8075

Ari Huusela Qualif miles   3600 2000   2175     5600 7775

Erik Nigon Qualif miles   3600     2175     3600 5775

Sam Davies Qualif miles   540 2000 300 2175     2840 5015

Yannick Bestaven Qualif miles   452 2000 300 2175     2752 4927

Giancarlo Pedote Qualif miles     2000 300 2175     2300 4475

Pip Hare Qualif miles     2000 300 2175     2300 4475

Miranda Merron Qualif miles     2000 300 2175     2300 4475

Maxime Sorel Qualif miles     2000 50 2175     2050 4225

Kevin Escoffier Qualif miles       300 2175     300 2475

Clarisse Crémer Qualif miles       300 2175     300 2475

Denis Van Weynbergh
Qualif miles     2000 300       2300 2300

Benjamin Dutreux Qualif miles         2175     0 2175

Clément Giraud Qualif miles     2000         2000 2000

Isabelle Joschke Qualif miles 650 452     100     1102 1202

Damien Seguin is 23rd in your list; why do you say that anybody below him is at risk? I thought that the max number of skippers was originally 30, and extended to 33 (or is it 34???)

What is the minimum number of miles to be done in solo conditions, with your boat for the race to qualify? Is it 8000 miles and this is why you draw the line at Damin Seguin?

And by the way, thanks for the table!

Table is from tip and shaft. I was looking around for one and this may not be the official one. 

34 places in the VG. About 6600 miles still available in the two Transat races next year. Solo or double handed doesn't seem to be a factor. Just miles raced in the series races. 

The quali is total miles in those races with max entry list of 34. So if you are 35th after the NY-VG race you need someone above to drop out for some reason. 

It's an interesting additional pressure on those further down the list. 

59 minutes ago, Laurent said:

Damien Seguin is 23rd in your list; why do you say that anybody below him is at risk? I thought that the max number of skippers was originally 30, and extended to 33 (or is it 34???)

What is the minimum number of miles to be done in solo conditions, with your boat for the race to qualify? Is it 8000 miles and this is why you draw the line at Damin Seguin?

And by the way, thanks for the table!

This may help. Its in French.  If you click the table it downloads.

https://mailchi.mp/tipandshaft.com/tip-shaft-185-vende-globe-tensions-sur-la-liste-des-inscrits-david-raison-415-milles-en-24h-en-class40-a-ne-me-surprend-pas-483658?e=9a497c6fa7

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jb5 said:

Table is from tip and shaft. I was looking around for one and this may not be the official one. 

34 places in the VG. About 6600 miles still available in the two Transat races next year. Solo or double handed doesn't seem to be a factor. Just miles raced in the series races. 

The quali is total miles in those races with max entry list of 34. So if you are 35th after the NY-VG race you need someone above to drop out for some reason. 

It's an interesting additional pressure on those further down the list. 

2 hours ago, jb5 said:

jb5, thanks a lot for the explanations. The article you linked has a lot of interesting news regarding Yann Eliès project!

So, yes, Yann Eliès is officially registered. The deadline was November 1st, and the race organization communicated the list of all official contenders, therefore his name showed up, even though Yann or his sponsors have not made an official announcement yet! One of the reasons for is that according to his team manager, nothing has been fully wrapped up and signed yet...

One more important point, is that Yann, as stated has registered with a new boat, and once you are registered with a specific boat, you cannot change boats! So he HAS to build a new boat in about 9 months. The reason is that he has to sail at least 2000 miles on his new boat prior to the next deadline, July 1st, 2020. Which means that the boat has to be ready to sail by mid-June 2020 at the latest.

According to the article, this can be done, with existing molds; so who is willing to rent their molds?

Arkea Paprek (plan Juan Kouyoumdjian) said no. Charal (plan VPLP) said that the molds are available but has not stated whether Yann Eliès contacted them or not. Apivia (plan Verdier) said the molds are potentially available as well but implied that they have not been contacted by Yann Eliès. Advenc (plan Verdier) said the molds are available but they have not been contacted by Yann Eliès.

Regarding which shipyard would be available for such a blitzkrieg operation, CDK has not answered the journalists, but seems too busy. Multiplast declined to answer, but after the delivery of DMG Mori for Kojiro Shiraishi, they seem to be the only ones with an opening for such a build...

The articla also confirmed that Conrad Coleman has rented Vivo a Beira, from Pierre Lacaze. It was supposed to be the boat for Yoann Richomme, winner of La Solitaire Figaro in 2019, but Yoann gave up 2 weeks prior to registration deadline...

24 minutes ago, Laurent said:

jb5, thanks a lot for the explanations. The article you linked has a lot of interesting news regarding Yann Eliès project!

You're welcome. I meant to post that link originally but forgot. When I first read the article I found it a bit speculative and long to translate but looking at it again now it is worth sharing. Thanks 

4 of the up to 34 starting places are at the decision of the race organizer. Better be in the top 30. :)

To qualify skippers must have finished in at least one imoca championship race after the last VG. In case of major damage in the last race before the next VG the race organizer can allow a solo passage as substitute. (That should be the NY-Vendée. Also not much time after that.)

In case qualification in a double handed race, only via the last VG or on a different boat the previously mentioned 2000+nm solo passage is required.

Overall the rules are much tighter than last round. Trying to reward skippers that are consistently working on their campaign and putting the brake on last minute entries. Not bad. In fact much better than just going by entry date. Should reduce the amount of early failures somewhat.

The 30 then 4 discretionary adds thing combined with the quali miles and I believe the imoca championship standings in the case of milage ties makes those with lower rankings very very risky. But it's great to have the boats being used more. There was a time when they were hardly used until the main event. 

Last VG the skippers had 8 years to qualify. Some of the qualifications races were rather weak and very late.

Finishers can go again. That helps a lot with long term campaigns.
Guaranteed slots for new boats means that there are new boats. Nine new boats added to the list is not bad at all! Record or not?
Sorting by miles and championship forces skippers to be active (or hope for a really slow year).
Additional slots for special cases. Diversity, promotion, bad luck during qualifiers. Whatever is required.

Good for the class and good for the race. In case there is no interest everyone can still get in.

On 11/12/2019 at 4:26 PM, Chasm said:

Last VG the skippers had 8 years to qualify. Some of the qualifications races were rather weak and very late.

Finishers can go again. That helps a lot with long term campaigns.
Guaranteed slots for new boats means that there are new boats. Nine new boats added to the list is not bad at all! Record or not?
Sorting by miles and championship forces skippers to be active (or hope for a really slow year).
Additional slots for special cases. Diversity, promotion, bad luck during qualifiers. Whatever is required.

Good for the class and good for the race. In case there is no interest everyone can still get in.

Pretty sure 2007/08 edition had more new boats but less total entries. Could be wrong...

A quick look at the xls file from histoiredeshalfs.com

2020 - 9 out of 30-34
2016 - 7 out of 29
2012 - 5 out of 20
2008 - 15 out of 30
2004 - 6 out of 20
2000 - 14 out of 24
1996 - 14

So not a record but rising once more.

• Like 1

2008 was amazing.  A few designers as well.

# 9 for 2020 isn't confirmed yet.  They were pretty clear that nothing is completed.  They had to register (refundable up to a certain point as I understand it) to have the opportunity to be in the race in case it all comes together in time.  I'd like to see Yann in the race but he has been firm that he was interested in a entry that could win.  I think the timing is too tight for 2020.

• Like 1

Interesting ice zone in the Brest Atlantiques race that is currently underway. It extends up into the south Atlantic high as its currently located. If this were to happen next year on the VG with similar ice zones in place there would be a good chance of significantly more upwind sailing in an area where high speed reaching is expected. Those who compromised design on upwind performance would be suffering. 

Screenshot_20191114-120655.png

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Chasm said:

A quick look at the xls file from histoiredeshalfs.com

2020 - 9 out of 30-34
2016 - 7 out of 29
2012 - 5 out of 20
2008 - 15 out of 30
2004 - 6 out of 20
2000 - 14 out of 24
1996 - 14

So not a record but rising once more.

FWIW...  Here's a list of all of the IMOCA 60's (35 total) on the IMOCA class website, sorted by launch year.  If that's comprehensive of all IMOCA 60's presently in existence, it suggests nearly every existing IMOCA 60 will be doing VG2020.  I haven't checked to see which of these are the few that aren't doing it.

27 of these existed for the 2016 event, where 29 boats raced...  and 20 of them existed for the 2012, where 20 raced...  And 16 of them existed for 2008, where 30 raced...  And only 2 of them existed in 2004 and 2000.  I don't have a list of which IMOCA 60s have been lost/destroyed and what years they were built, so I don't know exactly how large the global fleet was for the start of each VG...  And I don't know if some still exist that aren't listed on the IMOCA class site...  Those two things would explain why more raced than existed from the below list (particularly the 2008 entries)...  But it seems that in addition to a solid number of new boats for every VG...  There is also very high participation, in terms of the number of IMOCA 60's in existence showing up to do the VG.

Or am I misunderstanding the class site?  Are there a lot of IMOCA 60's out there not listed on the class site, such that my perception of a very high participation rate is just because the site only lists the actively racing boats?

1998 FRA 72 4MyPlanet. Originally Le Pingouin.

2000 GBR 77 Pip Hare Ocean Racing.  Originally Superbigou.

2006 FRA 50. Campagne de France. Originally Sarnia.

2006 FRA 83. Fortil.  Originally Giraud'Scope.

2006 FRA 35 Vers Un Monde Sans Sida.  Originally Faroha3.

2007 FRA 71. Group Setin. Originally Trimtastic.

2007 FRA 01. Corum L'Epargne TJV. Originally Foncia.

2007 SUI 07. La Fabrique. Originally Helvetia.

2007 FRA 14. La Mie Caline-Artipole. Originally Diaboleo.

2007 FRA 27 MACSF. Originally Safran.

2007 FIN 222 Ariel 2

2007 FRA 92. Time for Oceans.  Originally Black Sambuca.

2007 FRA 53 V&B. Originally Imagine.

2007 FRA 09. Water Family.  Originally OC7.

2008 FRA 1000. Groupe Apicil. oirignally Rua Hatu.

2008 FRA 49. Pure.  Originally Ex Synerciel.

2009 FRA 85. PRB.

2010 FRA 109 Initiatives-Coeur.

2011 FRA 30 BP X. Originally MACIF.

2011 GER 21 Offshore Team Germany.  Originally Acciona.

2014 BEL 207 Eyesea.be.  Originally Spirit of Hungary.

2014 FRA 17. Maitre Coq IV. Originally Monaloise2.

2015 MON 10 Malizia II. Originally Gitana16.

2015 USA 11 11th Hour.  Originally Hugo Boss.

2015 FRA 18 Bureau Vallee 2.  Originally BP VIII

2015 FRA 56 Newrest - Art & Fenetres.  Originally No Way Back.

2015 ITA 34. Prysmian Group. Originally Absolute Dreamer 5.

2018 FRA 5 Arkea Paprec

2018 FRA 08 Charal

2019 FRA 59 Advens for Cybersecurity.  Originally TRR.

2019 FRA 79 Apivia

2019 GBR 99 Hugo Boss.

2019 FRA 02 L'Occitane

2020 FRA 06 Corum L'Epargne VG.

2020 JPN 11 DMG Mori.

• Like 1

Giid

2 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

FWIW...  Here's a list of all of the IMOCA 60's (35 total) on the IMOCA class website, sorted by launch year.  If that's comprehensive of all IMOCA 60's presently in existence, it suggests nearly every existing IMOCA 60 will be doing VG2020.  I haven't checked to see which of these are the few that aren't doing it.

27 of these existed for the 2016 event, where 29 boats raced...  and 20 of them existed for the 2012, where 20 raced...  And 16 of them existed for 2008, where 30 raced...  And only 2 of them existed in 2004 and 2000.  I don't have a list of which IMOCA 60s have been lost/destroyed and what years they were built, so I don't know exactly how large the global fleet was for the start of each VG...  And I don't know if some still exist that aren't listed on the IMOCA class site...  Those two things would explain why more raced than existed from the below list (particularly the 2008 entries)...  But it seems that in addition to a solid number of new boats for every VG...  There is also very high participation, in terms of the number of IMOCA 60's in existence showing up to do the VG.

Or am I misunderstanding the class site?  Are there a lot of IMOCA 60's out there not listed on the class site, such that my perception of a very high participation rate is just because the site only lists the actively racing boats?

1998 FRA 72 4MyPlanet. Originally Le Pingouin.

2000 GBR 77 Pip Hare Ocean Racing.  Originally Superbigou.

2006 FRA 50. Campagne de France. Originally Sarnia.

2006 FRA 83. Fortil.  Originally Giraud'Scope.

2006 FRA 35 Vers Un Monde Sans Sida.  Originally Faroha3.

2007 FRA 71. Group Setin. Originally Trimtastic.

2007 FRA 01. Corum L'Epargne TJV. Originally Foncia.

2007 SUI 07. La Fabrique. Originally Helvetia.

2007 FRA 14. La Mie Caline-Artipole. Originally Diaboleo.

2007 FRA 27 MACSF. Originally Safran.

2007 FIN 222 Ariel 2

2007 FRA 92. Time for Oceans.  Originally Black Sambuca.

2007 FRA 53 V&B. Originally Imagine.

2007 FRA 09. Water Family.  Originally OC7.

2008 FRA 1000. Groupe Apicil. oirignally Rua Hatu.

2008 FRA 49. Pure.  Originally Ex Synerciel.

2009 FRA 85. PRB.

2010 FRA 109 Initiatives-Coeur.

2011 FRA 30 BP X. Originally MACIF.

2011 GER 21 Offshore Team Germany.  Originally Acciona.

2014 BEL 207 Eyesea.be.  Originally Spirit of Hungary.

2014 FRA 17. Maitre Coq IV. Originally Monaloise2.

2015 MON 10 Malizia II. Originally Gitana16.

2015 USA 11 11th Hour.  Originally Hugo Boss.

2015 FRA 18 Bureau Vallee 2.  Originally BP VIII

2015 FRA 56 Newrest - Art & Fenetres.  Originally No Way Back.

2015 ITA 34. Prysmian Group. Originally Absolute Dreamer 5.

2018 FRA 5 Arkea Paprec

2018 FRA 08 Charal

2019 FRA 59 Advens for Cybersecurity.  Originally TRR.

2019 FRA 79 Apivia

2019 GBR 99 Hugo Boss.

2019 FRA 02 L'Occitane

2020 FRA 06 Corum L'Epargne VG.

2020 JPN 11 DMG Mori.

Some boats were lost in 08. The boats of Bernard Stamm, Yann Elies and Jean Le Cam are some I recall. Alex Thomson's boat from that race was also subsequently lost I think in the last Transat. Could be wrong on that. Sam Davies boat was retired after that race due to the cost of bringing it into the revised engine rules. More recently Kito's boat from the last VG was also lost. 

The site below that someone kindly posted a while ago somewhere in one of these threads has a lot and maybe all of the class boat history. 

http://histoiredeshalfs.com/Histoire des 60'/Sommaire.htm

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, jb5 said:

site below that someone kindly posted a while ago

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jb5 said:

Giid

Some boats were lost in 08. The boats of Bernard Stamm, Yann Elies and Jean Le Cam are some I recall. Alex Thomson's boat from that race was also subsequently lost I think in the last Transat. Could be wrong on that. Sam Davies boat was retired after that race due to the cost of bringing it into the revised engine rules. More recently Kito's boat from the last VG was also lost. 

The site below that someone kindly posted a while ago somewhere in one of these threads has a lot and maybe all of the class boat history. 

http://histoiredeshalfs.com/Histoire des 60'/Sommaire.htm

Thanks for the link!  There are clearly a LOT more IMOCA 60's than those listed on the class website.  Obviously I didn't arrive with a solid knowledge of the history of IMOCA 60's, so thanks for sharing the knowledge without crapping on me for my lack thereof.  :)  In retrospect, I guess I was aware some of older boats and posted my findings from the class site without realizing none of those were there.  I guess the class site only lists those that are still carrying valid measurement certificates, or something like that.

Fascinating information.  I have a feeling I'm going to spend a few hours poking through there.  The Historiq tab of the spreadsheet seems to have every boat in history (except maybe the very newest).  I'm not sure if the red numbers and corresponding pink rows imply destroyed boats or just boats with unknown status.  But even without those, it looks like there are roughly 100 IMOCA 60s out there...  many of which are probably very outdated now of course.  The fun part that's going to wind up drawing me in is the details about each boat...  I randomly clicked on Golden Aluminum and was drawn in.

• Like 1

histoiredeshalfs.com also has an exel file ("dossier excel") it contains the race results for all(?) IMOCA

19 destroyed / lost
1 museum
2 cruise
~7 are sailing in other places / IRC

There are ~14 boats on the list that sailed in the 2008 VG or a later IMOCA event which are not registered for the VG 2020.
Restricting this to active in the VG 2016 or later leaves just 3 boats.
1998 GARTMORE - Last raced in Rhum class. I really doubt that the VG wants to a fixed keel boat again.
2000 Kingfisher - just one more time around the globe. :)
2015 Hugo Boss - did the TJV but is aiming for the ocean race

2004 SILL VEOLIA is the one Conrad has charted.

• Like 1

Couple of excellent interviews, JB. Thanks for posting.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2019 at 5:13 PM, jb5 said:

Interesting ice zone in the Brest Atlantiques race that is currently underway. It extends up into the south Atlantic high as its currently located. If this were to happen next year on the VG with similar ice zones in place there would be a good chance of significantly more upwind sailing in an area where high speed reaching is expected. Those who compromised design on upwind performance would be suffering. 

Screenshot_20191114-120655.png

I hope not, the VG has always been essentially a downwind race. And the organisers have stayed true to that with the introduction of ice exclusion zones which weren't that bad iirc apart from one IMOCA sailing into it cus he fell asleep. 

Very interesting interview with, Guillaume: 'VG -  skippers race a third of the time, and the rest of the time they get their boats home' (paraphrased).

Interesting comment too about foil development. He says his access to ETNZ's AC Programme gives him insights into making the new generation foils 'sweeter' - in that they try to self regulate flying height, to lesson hull slamming.

Jezzus. Hope DL isn't around. Don't mention UptiP for God's sake.

• Like 4

'VG -  skippers race a third of the time, and the rest of the time they get their boats home' (paraphrased).  

Great comment.

Didac Costa interview/ promo

News - What Didac Costa wants - Vendée Globe

Thursday 21 November 2019, 11h51

What is your position now Didac? Do you have access to the boat again, has someone bought it? 

Yes, we have an agreement to buy the boat. The project - in particular, everything related to the boat - is made up of different people: Josep Costa (no relation!) assumes the role of manager, and there’s a media and sponsorship management agency called Immedia.

What state is the boat in? What needs doing to it to make it ready? 

The boat is in good shape. I finished the 2016 Vendée Globe without it suffering any damages, beyond having finished a 3 month, round-the-world race.

Why go again? What is it that you want to achieve? 

On the one hand, from a sporting perspective, there is no doubt for me. A solo, round-the-world race, on board an IMOCA... I want to be there!

On the other hand, I really want to compete with the best conditions; to have time to prepare the boat, to train, to test things well, etc. In the last edition of the VG I could barely train with the boat. We had just 3 or 4 days to test with the boat and my team together, the qualification race, where you cannot push too much because you have to finish it, and then the delivery from Barcelona to Les Sables d’Olonne, which took us – as I did it with more crew – about 7 to 8 days.

Having done this training, I’m very proud of having finished in 14th position back in 2016, and it gives me a lot of strength for the next edition.We also want to focus on communication. We believe there is a lot to talk about and to have an impact, creating good content and enhancing ocean sailing, especially the Vendée Globe. In addition, I would also like to establish continuity beyond the VG 2020. We would like this Vendée to serve as a starting point, to have a stable team and a stable project in the future.

What did you learn from last time?  

Lots of things. In the sports field, I had done the Barcelona World Race, a two crew round-the-world race. Although I had already participated in some solo regattas, I did learn that solo sailing adds some small difficulties such as less sleep, more physical fatigue, etc. Not only that, but the general approach has to be different from the beginning, and that is something that we have to work on during the preparation.

Can you describe your relationship with this special IMOCA? 

I know this boat very well. This helps me to adjust the timings to assemble and disassemble her, to know the state of the different important elements of the boat, and the improvements needed.

How close did you get to finding money for a more ambitious project? 

We have made advances that make us feel optimistic. Of course, there’s a very clear ratio between the resources we have and the improvements we will be able to make, but the calendar is also very important because, especially in a race like the Vendée Globe, you have to make things more reliable. There is no possibility of assistance, there is no other race like this, and this is an aspect we tend to forget.

Describe the ocean racing scene in Spain right now... IMOCA racing has gone backwards a bit with no BWR and the FNOB not being so active. That must be difficult for you? 

Apparently it is not an easy scenario. The BWR was a very important focus for ocean sailing. Although it is also necessary to have more young people sailing in other ocean classes, events like the BWR help a lot given the impact it has, especially at a local level.

Anyway, this aspect can also be focused in the opposite direction: in the current situation, the fact that I have one of the few Spanish projects in the world, and I am the only Spanish sailor in the Vendée Globe, is an opportunity to benefit from all the impact and coverage this regatta brings both here and in France.

What have you been doing since the last race... Would you ever move to France to pursue your career or is Spain/Catalonia home?

It’s something I’ve thought about, before doing the VG 2016. In relation to what I said before, the BWR gave me an opportunity to sail around the world that I wouldn’t have had in France, and that continued in the VG 2016. From there, I was working hard to have an important project for the BWR, but the race was cancelled and that has upset the plans for these four years a bit.

I would also add that, for me, the VG 2016 did not finish when I arrived in Les Sables, since I have had to face the economic effort involved in doing the race with very few resources. This hasn’t allowed me to seriously consider leaving Spain to ‘try my luck’.

What kind of budget do you need? Different levels, minimum? What is realistic to update the boat?

We have different levels, it’s very variable, not only because of the improvements that can be made and the scope they have, but also because of their viability. For that I have to work with people with the technical capacity for it, beyond my experience as a sailor - that’s work we’re doing now. That, and the calendar itself, will determine the different budget levels.

Do you have other ambitions in sailing ?

My attraction to sailing is focused on high seas navigation. It has all of the aspects that attract me to the discipline; sports, knowledge of navigation-meteorology-strategy, knowledge of boats, preparation, etc

https://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/19565/what-didac-costa-wants

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, troll99 said:

Very interesting,  but also very late! Do they have enough work up time to maximise the boats potential in the VG?

35 minutes ago, oioi said:

Very interesting,  but also very late! Do they have enough work up time to maximise the boats potential in the VG?

good question!

Cockpit layout got me. Too low to stand inside full length.. The outside cockpit is a bit like an old fashioned boat which i like it .. Less room to move then less likely to get hurt. 

19 hours ago, troll99 said:

Cockpit layout got me. Too low to stand inside full length.. The outside cockpit is a bit like an old fashioned boat which i like it .. Less room to move then less likely to get hurt. 

Looks like an old IMS 50 to me!

good to see a different approach to this. The rest I still think are being too reserved.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2019 at 3:34 AM, Chimp too said:

Looks like an old IMS 50 to me!

good to see a different approach to this. The rest I still think are being too reserved.

My first thought was IACC when looking at the bow.

On 11/19/2019 at 12:05 AM, Raptorsailor said:

And the organisers have stayed true to that with the introduction of ice exclusion zones which weren't that bad iirc apart from one IMOCA sailing into it cus he fell asleep. 

If you refer to JP Dick's incident, he didn't fall asleep.

He messed up downloading the correct ice limits files and was using older ones.

19 hours ago, popo said:

If you refer to JP Dick's incident, he didn't fall asleep.

He messed up downloading the correct ice limits files and was using older ones.

now I remember. 

https://www.letelegramme.fr/voile/voile-vendee-globe-yann-elies-renonce-06-12-2019-12451236.php

Yann Eliès out of the running for 20/21.  Rough translation below.

Yann Eliès tried everything to be at the start of the Vendée Globe 2020. But sometimes reality wins.They had to face the facts: the delay in the assembly of the plan will not allow it to be ready in good condition by November 2020.

"It would have been unreasonable"
Obviously, Yann Eliès, who just won the Transat Jacques Vabre with Charlie Dalin and who finished second in the Route du Rhum is disappointed but it was not doable: - When we registered on November 1, the options was still doable. But it was necessary that the build was started as soon as possible We had expected a build of eight months, which was already a small technical feat. But we are in the first week of December and construction has not started. It would be totally unreasonable to embark on such an adventure.

To have a new boat for Rum 2022
There will be no Vendée Globe in 2020 for Yann who had finished fifth in the last race. But he is not a skipper to give up: We are in a paradoxical situation. The two leaders of the Imoca  of the Globes Series, Paul Meilhat and I will not be present at the start of the Vendée Globe. We will have to mobilize to prepare well for the 2024 edition. In the meantime, he will not stay at the dock and intends to navigate on Figaro, Multi50, Class40 or even Imoca: Given the way in which the 2020 edition is on the horizon, the ideal timing would be to have a new boat for the next Route du Rhum and to have the time to make it evolve.

• Like 5

^If only you could buy time....Yann is certainly one to watch for the future.

• Like 2

Another one out of the VG. 35(?) left in the running.

Clement Giraud lost his sponsor after the fire on board prior to the TJV. He has pulled out of his VG as the boat is not owned by him and he cannot change boats once the registration deadline past on 10/31. He does hope to start the Transat CIC and NY - Vendee next year on another boat. 

https://m.facebook.com/notes/clément-giraud/le-sponsor-titre-de-clément-giraud-se-désengage/1115008002036275/

• Like 1

On 11/25/2019 at 11:37 AM, troll99 said:

it reminds me of the beautiful Beluga whale. Powerful hull shape on its own but maybe not so necessary with major foil appendages. ..perhaps?!

This is an interesting experiment:

She is Clarisse Crémer  with the Banque Populaire IMOCA.
A top boat with a top former winner as trainer to compete in this demanding race:
55151062_ClarisseCremerandArmelleCleach.thumb.jpg.d051ff4f9aa7891070075dd9f64c9d64.jpg
1449444923_ImocaBanquepopulairClarisseCrmer.thumb.jpg.8b9b10203b0b522134926d1ed8078474.jpg
https://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/skippers/95/clarisse-cremer

Other woman to follow:
Alexia Barrier.
barrier-alexia-_-4-my-planet-_-1663.jpeg.0be0f5eb590ed93d6354c958222f9d54.jpegalexia_barrier_4myplanet.jpeg.60ed8c98d75310199e4f0fb5c0329cb8.jpeg427768370_SailinghighlightsAlexandriaBarrier.PNG.0fcb0aa5ed022277392a70a81d8fd456.PNG

Samatha Davies
davies-samantha-initiatives-coeur-149.jpeg.c2c58853b6589de760632bfcaed2dbbc.jpeginitiatives-coeur-route-rhum-2018-_-1021.jpeg.4d82c180ca32c0d23d1a7f4e6ce32033.jpeg360013100_SailinghIghlightsSamathaDavies.PNG.f53210868205e99cfe167b28eb2f386b.PNG
Pip Hare
hare-pip-_-ocean-hare-ltd-_-1091.jpeg.f7e82d440a87f2bad04dbbd92db909fb.jpegpip_hare.thumb.jpeg.2939141d65ba4aa01525120ed9955e84.jpeg1479365065_SailinghighlightsPipHare.PNG.393392161137e9d004206407ad78d4fa.PNG
Isabel Joschke
joschke-isabelle-_-macsf-_-216.jpeg.3f121676be890c470c4fe47eeeda3f58.jpeg626915357_MacsfIsabellJoschke.thumb.jpeg.4fe540521da5f5a7df377fc64c8d585b.jpeg1760529763_SailinghighlightsIsabelJoske.PNG.cf5e4a92528ea9d9f9891f4b34525f26.PNG
Miranda Meron
merron-miranda-_-campagne-de-france-_-046.jpeg.95bfcd0e814e285dcad7f12749e9f3f0.jpegcampagne_de_france.png.be5d18fdc5ce2363388eb58e1f5182bf.png168689444_SailinghIghlightsMirandaMeron.PNG.387a3030c628e29f9fcb78690688ad77.PNG
Who of these 6 woman will win? One really can't tell but interesting to watch.

• Like 4

Hate to say it, but looking at those CVs and if they were men they wouldn’t be close to getting the sponsorship dollar needed for a VG

41 minutes ago, Schakel said:

Who of these 6 woman will win? One really can't tell but interesting to watch.

None will win. They don't have the boats. Sam, if nothing breaks will lead the girls home.

9 minutes ago, Chimp too said:

Hate to say it, but looking at those CVs and if they were men they wouldn’t be close to getting the sponsorship dollar needed for a VG

With the greatest respect intended have you got any idea what you're talking about? These girls are shit hot. Two of the 6 also don't actually have the required budget. They're still risking everything to get to the start. 

Sam Davies: 

- 3rd Across the line in the Vendee Globe. 

- Skipper in the VOR

- 5th and 6th in the TJV

Miranda Merron: 

- 6th Route du Rhum 

- 1st Transat Quebec St Malo 

- 1st Transat Jacques Vabre

- 1st Class40 Championship (twice) 

Alexia: 

3rd in the Transat AG2R 

The others are also fantastic sailors and fantastic people. The only one with a budget close to the guys is Sam. Compare them against the following and tell me why they don't deserve to be there amongst them? 

Romain Attanasio

Arnaud Boissieres 

Didac Costa 

Benjamin Dutreux. 

Sponsorship is not just about a winning team, the Vendee Globe is not just about winning. They 100% deserve to be on the start and you know what, they might even beat couple of men. I'm fully aware that Sailing Anarchy harbours and gives voices to guys that shit on the girls but for christ sake, they'd race you off the course and they're there living their dream. Just let them get on with it... 

For the record i'm a bloke, i'm not a feminist but i've huge respect for those that just go and do it, and do it well! 

• Like 1

Speaking of lack of budgets, whatever happened to, Alessandro?

25 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Speaking of lack of budgets, whatever happened to, Alessandro?

http://www.alessandrodb.com/fr/

Does not seem very recently updated. Looking for funding like so many including some of those registered. 

Good on those who got the euros but still amazed that the top the two in the IMOCA championship are absent. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bentley the Badger said:

None will win. They don't have the boats. Sam, if nothing breaks will lead the girls home.

With the greatest respect intended have you got any idea what you're talking about? These girls are shit hot. Two of the 6 also don't actually have the required budget. They're still risking everything to get to the start. 

Sam Davies: 

- 3rd Across the line in the Vendee Globe. 

- Skipper in the VOR

- 5th and 6th in the TJV

Miranda Merron: 

- 6th Route du Rhum 

- 1st Transat Quebec St Malo 

- 1st Transat Jacques Vabre

- 1st Class40 Championship (twice) 

Alexia: 

3rd in the Transat AG2R 

The others are also fantastic sailors and fantastic people. The only one with a budget close to the guys is Sam. Compare them against the following and tell me why they don't deserve to be there amongst them? 

Romain Attanasio

Arnaud Boissieres 

Didac Costa 

Benjamin Dutreux. 

Sponsorship is not just about a winning team, the Vendee Globe is not just about winning. They 100% deserve to be on the start and you know what, they might even beat couple of men. I'm fully aware that Sailing Anarchy harbours and gives voices to guys that shit on the girls but for christ sake, they'd race you off the course and they're there living their dream. Just let them get on with it... 

For the record i'm a bloke, i'm not a feminist but i've huge respect for those that just go and do it, and do it well! 

Based on papers, Samatha Davies and Miranda Meron have the best chances,
The winning Armel l'Cleach behind Banque Populair might deliver the fastest boat.
Clarisse Cremer! Although she hasn't the experience the other girls have.
Nicknamed the machine.
1157917534_SailinghighlightsClariseCremer.PNG.58ad878b53ea021b9739b2608b143524.PNG
Why is she so pale? She is at sea all the time.
699492409_ClarisseCremerandArmelleCleach.thumb.jpg.e5fa244f7a02f4743c4ecf1bd78da055.jpg

Bentley,

I have the full respect for them all. But take the fact that they are women out of the equation and just look at the results. There are many top sailors in this arena with better CVs who also don’t have the sponsors dollars. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chimp too said:

Bentley,

I have the full respect for them all. But take the fact that they are women out of the equation and just look at the results. There are many top sailors in this arena with better CVs who also don’t have the sponsors dollars. 

It does also demonstrate the continued imbalance in sailing in general, though the solo and shorthanded sailing is starting to address this and let women gain more experience.