bigrpowr

Vendee Globe 2020

saw one earlier with Sam and Romain having a moment before departure - prob one of the most complicated emotions surely? Excitement for each other but also worry but also competitors & their kid watching both!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sailbydate said:

Jean wants to get another good look at, Finisterre

Screen Shot 2020-11-09 at 1.09.19 PM.png

The supposedly "bad" boat Corum is no slouch. Le proffesor smiles.

1 hour ago, stief said:

You too.  Wanted to ask you if adding sea state to polars (for the newest foilers) is tough to develop and use. Seems that if TWA and Windspeed make for 2D polars, then adding sea state might make them like . . . 3D?

nice to see ya buddy!

25 minutes ago, troll99 said:

The issues re Corum was always about reliability - same big question mark re Hugo Boss, Loccutaine 

26 minutes ago, troll99 said:

Excellent boat speed at the moment, that's for sure.

13 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Excellent boat speed at the moment, that's for sure.

How do you know...... still no update..... this 5 hour wait will kill me

• Like 1

Tracker update should be every hour on the hour.... por favor....

1 hour ago, Rainbow Spirit said:

So what we have is a tracker update dead zone of 7 hours from 2200 to 0500 CET (UTC -1) time. On the east coast of Australia that means no update from  0800 to 1500.

Unfortunately, they seem to have assumed the audience is entirely European.  The 7-hour dead period is from early afternoon through the evening in the US.

26 minutes ago, Keith said:

Tracker update should be every hour on the hour.... por favor....

Why? Then the skippers would have to look at updates every hour. Not about you - its about the skippers and creating a good, fair, viable race. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nauti Buoy said:

Why? Then the skippers would have to look at updates every hour. Not about you - its about the skippers and creating a good, fair, viable race. 

easy enough to block the skippers access to the website, that way the rest of us could obsess over the race to our hearts content.

Repairs delayed

In complicated conditions due to the wind and the state of the sea, Fabrice Amedeo's team failed to repair at anchor. They will wait for the tide to carry out the dockside repairs on the Vendée Globe pontoon. More information to follow.

from the translated tweet

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nauti Buoy said:

I'm sure everyone in the audience all around the world would love less time between updates, and of course, it's not about me.

It's for everyone watching online and following from around the world. ;)

Just now, Varan said:

Hugo appears to be getting rolled by the other foilers...

Yeah. Even though he's ranked #6, he's lost enough bearing on the others so that it's more like 10th place. Nothing like the relative speeds HB showed in the  . . . TJV?

8 minutes ago, Keith said:

I'm sure everyone in the audience all around the world would love less time between updates, and of course, it's not about me.

It's for everyone watching online and following from around the world. ;)

Sure, I'd like it too, but consider why they don't. The teams and skippers have access to the same updates we do, thus they cannot do every hour. In the VOR they limited communications to the boats so they could give fans more frequent updates without the boats finding out. Gaps also allow the race control to notify the family of a sailor who may have had a breakage before it comes out in the news, and hourly updates means the skippers every hour would have load and analyze the information, taking away from sailing and sleeping time. There are reasons why they don't. 

• Like 2

on his ATR hub the boat data says he’s achieved 23 knots top speed the last hr and his biometric suggests pretty high work load? Resting heart rate never below 90 and up to 170+. 

I think unless there’s massive data issues, the next update might show some surprising changes. 

The last VOR experiments in more frequent tracker updates were thrilling, and I didn't hear that the teams found it a problem. The leg to the Hague was marvellous.

I had hoped this VG, with so many people around the world looking for something to fill their isolated hours, would have capitalized on the opportunity to grab more fans.

Maybe this will happen anyway.

2 minutes ago, Nauti Buoy said:

Sure, I'd like it too, but consider why they don't. The teams and skippers have access to the same updates we do, thus they cannot do every hour. In the VOR they limited communications to the boats so they could give fans more frequent updates without the boats finding out. Gaps also allow the race control to notify the family of a sailor who may have had a breakage before it comes out in the news, and hourly updates means the skippers every hour would have load and analyze the information, taking away from sailing and sleeping time. There are reasons why they don't. 

And the class is skipper led - it isn’t some suits sitting in a control room deciding to make up rules for the benefit of media. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nauti Buoy said:

Ok, so you mean to say that there's no tracker automatically chirping out info from the boat 24-7, seriously? 

Just now, stief said:

The last VOR experiments in more frequent tracker updates were thrilling, and I didn't hear that the teams found it a problem. The leg to the Hague was marvellous.

I had hoped this VG, with so many people around the world looking for something to fill their isolated hours, would have capitalized on the opportunity to grab more fans.

Maybe this will happen anyway.

The VOR boats don't have internet access (or full access at least) and can't speak with on shore teams about routing or navigation, so they could give fans live tracking and still limit what the boats had to every 4 hours or whatever. Vendee boats have internet and can work with team on routing and navigation, so if they gave fans more access they give the teams more access. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Keith said:

Ok, so you mean to say that there's no tracker automatically chirping out info from the boat 24-7, seriously? 

It's not about getting information off the boats, its about giving information to skippers who already have more than they can handle on their plate. If you give live updates to fans, you do to the skippers, and tactically the race suffers because everyone knows every move another boat makes the moment they make it. 

• Like 1

If VG race control shared the data they had, the team’s support staff will plot it hourly and feed information to the skippers and would be able to do so without breaking any rules and wouldn’t even have to be coy about it. 

I’d be happy with a constantly updating tracker with a 6 hour delay.  Once you were a day into the race you’d stop giving a shot about the delay. But a least you could get a new “hit when you wanted / needed it.  I can only get so much satisafavtion from Thomson’s bow height and pulse rate.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SCARECROW said:

I’d be happy with a constantly updating tracker with a 6 hour delay.  Once you were a day into the race you’d stop giving a shot about the delay. But a least you could get a new “hit when you wanted / needed it.  I can only get so much satisafavtion from Thomson’s bow height and pulse rate.

I guess theoretically any team can choose to share more independent of the race control... maybe once they turn port after the south Atlantic it’ll be kind of a boss move show of confidence 

1 minute ago, Miffy said:

If VG race control shared the data they had, the team’s support staff will plot it hourly and feed information to the skippers and would be able to do so without breaking any rules and wouldn’t even have to be coy about it. 

Just now, Essex said:

Personally i don't have a problem with everyone knowing everything.

Glad you don't - but the skippers getting constant updates means they look at the screen constantly. Navigational tactics and intrigue go away. Skippers lives get harder. Losers like us find out of an issue before the skippers families. There is a reason they do it this way, and it is the right way to do it unless they limit shore team communication and cut them off from the internet, which for their sake I hope they don't. 

• Like 1

I'm not up to speed on the current docs, but did see this in the NOR. 

4.3.3. Performance support

It is prohibited:

• to receive or access any analysis, interpretation, processed information or data carried out

outside the boat and, in a general way, any provision of tactical and/or technical information necessary for decision making in order to improve the performance of a boat or its skipper.

• to send data from the boat to land which could be used to analyse and improve performance except if they are made public instantaneously on reception. The data access method shall be endorsed by the race management beforehand.

• to send data between the boat and its team, in one way or the other, which could be used to analyze and improve the choice of trajectory of the boat

• to access any software or update non-embarked in Les Sables d’Olonne. Any automated delivery of data, live or delayed, apart from those specifically authorized by the race management.

• to receive any calcutation designed to improve performance or optimize the trajectory carried out on a non-embarked computer (with the exception of requests authorized in NOR 4.3.2)

• to help or advise the skipper in the management of his/her race It is authorized:

• to send positions from YB beacons to the organization, without changing the transmission

time step nor the type of data transferred

• to discuss ETAs and logistics with the team and the race management

• to record data stored by the boat; this data will be available to the team at the end of

the race.

I'm shocked that in this day and age that the skipper would have to waste valuable time to actually update basic navigation info back to whoever when it could be done automatically. 

Very odd.

??? What are you imagining? They email their positions back? No it is automatic beacon. 

Yeah, that's what I had always thought that the boats automatically update to shore.

Thanks

The tracker data is automated with YellowBrick trackers and a fallback to Inmarsat C polling.
Beyond that the skipper is IIRC supposed to report positions manually as part of the safety measures. At that time quite a lot on board is no longer working.

It is the same discussion as always.
Fear that some skipper would get data that he or she is not supposed to have VS. a way to make the race more attractive to fans.

Given that it is such a long race a delayed tracker would be easy enough. I'd make that delay longer than the sked schedule and be done. That way the tracker is useless for any rule breaking. Withing x00km of the the finish back to sked positions and then to hourly as it is now.

SI wrote:

Six sets of rankings will be issued at the following times:  
04:00UT (pos at 03:30UT), 08:00UT (pos at 07:30UT), 11:00UT (pos at 10:30UT), 14:00UT (pos at 
13:30UT), 17:00UT (pos at 16:30UT) and 21:00UT (pos at 20:30UT). 
They will be displayed on the race website and sent to the press. 
They will be sent to competitors by the organiser in the format requested (.xlsx, .posreport, etc.). 

In other news Alex in 19.
Turns out Arnauld Boissieres is in the middle of the pack. Looks like it was indeed a RIB shown on the tracker... Oops. 

• Like 2

What's the rationale for the gap jumping to 7 hours during the French night, which is the entire US afternoon/evening and the entire Australian morning?  I can understand the points about nor wanting to provide live data, but if the updates can be automated, I don't see the harm in using a consistent frequency around the clock.

In years past - there’s usually multiple daily update produced shows in French and one for the UK audience? Might coincide with production time. 

While wondering if the fleet might have to deal with the Finisterre TSS (tracker doesn't show the TSS zones), noticed that the SI sets serious penalties for infringing on a zone

Ouch:  page 23--minimum 24 hr penalty and may get a DSQ.

Brings back some sour memories ;)

2 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Unfortunately, they seem to have assumed the audience is entirely European.  The 7-hour dead period is from early afternoon through the evening in the US.

That is because as far as they are concerned, it is.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nauti Buoy said:

Well actually it is about me... and all the fans.... it's sponsors return on their investment which pays for the sport...

1 hour ago, Nauti Buoy said:

Glad you don't - but the skippers getting constant updates means they look at the screen constantly. Navigational tactics and intrigue go away. Skippers lives get harder. Losers like us find out of an issue before the skippers families. 

If families are watching we find out together.... so what if Alex Thompsons cousins and me learn of a breakdown at the same time.... These guys are smart enough to know how much time to devote to outside reports while keeping their head in or out of the boat on there immediate numbers.

7 hours is bullshit..... sorry but I can't remember any period this long in any recent (5-7 years) race or record attempt ..

I'm not opposed to a delay and then constant updates... keeps us all happy..

Interesting that the foil assisted boats are now doing at least 1-2 knots quicker hard on the breeze in this wind range than the non foilers... that's a big step up. are they pointing as high....?

Anyone notice Linked Out stopped dead for a bit and lost a bunch of spots and then seemed to resume.... 

• Like 1

If it's not too late to heckle the website, the link on the vendeeglobe's front page for the English tracker is wrong. It's not https://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/tracker, it's https://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/tracking-map. The French version is correct.

I'm so happy this race is under way. How excited? This excited. J'ai la planete devant moi.

• Like 2

Outstanding performances so far from Nicolas in Corum L'Epargne and Armel in L'Occitane. Jeremie in Charal hanging in there as well, it will be interesting to see the likes of Charal and HB when (if) they get into some heavy reaching conditions.

Fabrice Amedeo on Newrest-Art et Fenetres is coming back to Les Sables to fix a problem with a hook for one of his forward sails. He can either go back to the harbour, or catch one of the boys moored for that effect in front of the harbour. And yes, the sanitary protocole for COVID19 is still applicable and this type of situation has been considered; there is a procedure for his team to intervene safely...

He should be back in the middle of the night, and stay only a short time before going back at it.

Commentator at the start said Alex didn’t have a masthead foresail hoisted, perhaps saving energy on an anticipated early change down. May explain his mediocre performance. Anyone else catch that comment or what sail he’s using?

22 minutes ago, Kenny Dumas said:

Commentator at the start said Alex didn’t have a masthead foresail hoisted, perhaps saving energy on an anticipated early change down. May explain his mediocre performance. Anyone else catch that comment or what sail he’s using?

I missed that comment, but a friend told me essentially the same.  Just ran routing from HB's last position and it does not jive with what is going on IRL. So that's pretty fucking useless!

I'm using heavily tweaked polars from the previous VG, so there is  huge amount of garbage in and out here.

Vendee20.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Yes, typically French!

55 minutes ago, Kenny Dumas said:

Yeah, some ran on inner staysail + sail on bowsprit, while others including Alex ran outer staysail only.

Still way too early for any conclusions. We need to see the conditions these boats were optimised for... Based on the weather forecast,  it looks like it will be a while before we see that.

• Like 1

As with other things IT, passage of time means things get more difficult to use and they perform worse! Trackers and links to them all dreadful so far this time. Only the Apivia one works for me on my functional but old pc and tablet.

@tallyho is right. HB was never conceived as an upwind boat. This is still its worst point of sail and I’m not surprised it’s getting it’s ass handed to it right now. In an interview with Shirley Robertson AT said their routing and simulation showed you could make the boat as bad as you want upwind but if the trade off is downwind speed you will still get round the world faster. His foils are not that big and the C shape would suggest a foil for downwind performance at higher speeds. Corum’s foils are pretty big and L’occitane’s are huge and it’s no surprise they’re doing well right now and as we roll into day 2 and the front comes through it wouldn’t surprise me to see AT slip further behind. But it’s only day 1...

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, JL92S said:

@tallyho is right. HB was never conceived as an upwind boat. This is still its worst point of sail and I’m not surprised it’s getting it’s ass handed to it right now. In an interview with Shirley Robertson AT said their routing and simulation showed you could make the boat as bad as you want upwind but if the trade off is downwind speed you will still get round the world faster. His foils are not that big and the C shape would suggest a foil for downwind performance at higher speeds. Corum’s foils are pretty big and L’occitane’s are huge and it’s no surprise they’re doing well right now and as we roll into day 2 and the front comes through it wouldn’t surprise me to see AT slip further behind. But it’s only day 1...

Yup, but he’s still getting rolled by the leaders of his group if I’m correct; he’s going to have a pretty big uphill battle in the first week or so to stay properly in touch and in striking range of the lead. I’m mightily impressed with Charal and Corum though. 

9 minutes ago, JL92S said:

Yeah it's frustrating with these conditions and the tracker is really bad. Alex 14 miles astern would be hoping for some conditions that suit his boat. We can only sit and wait still too early to conclude anything other than we knew it would be hard to win this one it just seems even harder at the moment

1 hour ago, Kenny Dumas said:

It looked like Alex was using a Fractional Code Zero and a staysail, he wasn't the only one with that combo.  There were other guys with Masthead Code Zero + Staysail.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tDot said:

It looked like Alex was using a Fractional Code Zero and a staysail, he wasn't the only one with that combo.  There were other guys with Masthead Code Zero + Staysail.

Just rewatched it. You're right.

Alex has been pretty clear and honest when asked that they gave up hull performance zero priority.  I think if he gets to the trades within a few hours of the leaders he’ll be feeling confident.

whether that confidence is justified we’ll have to wait a see.

All that is speculation that he has a way faster boat downwind.. Still yet to prove

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, popo said:

All that is speculation that he has a way faster boat downwind.. Still yet to prove

Indeed, although in the first "leg" of the TJV crossing the channel it seemed he had.

3 hours ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Anyone notice Linked Out stopped dead for a bit and lost a bunch of spots and then seemed to resume.... 

One of the furled sail hook released, dropping the sail down. Some “small damage” to deal with this morning. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, the cat said:

Boss being going slow for a while.  Something broken already?

Yeah, around 21h on the tracker's clock. Maybe a sail change resulting in a nightmare thanks to the cockpit ergonomics?

• Like 1

Looking at the tracker in motion, it could also be that he spent a period hedging his bets, then decided to follow those going further out.  The situation evolved again, and it looks like he goes more slowly upwind so its not worth chasing them, or that from his position he's going to get a shift.  Everyone said these first couple of days were going to be tricky tactically. It does look like HB is fairly slow upwind, and/or he may have an issue with his mainsail?  Someone said it didn't look quite right at the start.  

1 hour ago, Raptorsailor said:

Yup, but he’s still getting rolled by the leaders of his group if I’m correct; he’s going to have a pretty big uphill battle in the first week or so to stay properly in touch and in striking range of the lead. I’m mightily impressed with Charal and Corum though. 

Think back to the hours before AT smacked the keel, and he wasn't quick then.

3 hours ago, Kenny Dumas said:

Charal was also running a fractional at the start

The Shirley Robertson podcast covering the Vende had a good interview with Alex........very struck by Alex's comment that they did not have good information re relative performance to the other boats....(was interesting yesterday in his brief message from the boat after the start that he was assured re their relative performance)......In my very limited experience of watching others join a fleet that they do not regularly compete against, they usually expect to be on the pace....but then aren't, because the competition between regular competitors just drives their development cycles.

Still hopeful that HB can perform better downwind.....right now it seems to be all about reaching or upwind which isn't HBs forte. Alex said the new HB is as fast as the last upwind....but I understand that some of the new generation of boats are foiling upwind also (as voiced during the departure commentary).....so that would be upwind and reaching that HB is giving away.....oh boy. Also, HB is on a single generation of foils, whereas Charal is on second gen foils.....oh, oh boy.

Alex even said that they chose to not check in (after the boats relaunch) for a range of reasons, but also as they wouldn't have been able to respond anyway. 

Still wishing him well the whole way of course....its a very long race.

Jesus I would love to see the breakdown of posts on this referring to Alex and speculating as to why he is behind vs chat over what's actually happening in the race.

Very surprised at how on the pace Corum is - surely has had the least time to develop of any of the latest gen? 

5 minutes ago, Chris UK said:

Also, HB is on a single generation of foils, whereas Charal is on second gen foils.....oh, oh boy.

No, HB is on v2, Charal had developed a v3 but I don't know whether they use v2 or v3 in the race

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ebarker2 said:

It does look like HB is fairly slow upwind, and/or he may have an issue with his mainsail?

He has been doing 5 knots a couple of times, I suspect he has some issues.

8 minutes ago, Chris UK said:

....so that would be upwind and reaching that HB is giving away.....oh boy.

IIRC in the TJV 2019 HB shot by everyone in a beam reach.

• Like 1

I'm kinda like.... come on guys, the race just left the port one day ago, they aren't even past the Gibraltar and Canary islands. I am excited too, but god damn, let every boat stretch out the legs a bit. 

9 minutes ago, Barons said:

I'm kinda like.... come on guys, the race just left the port one day ago, they aren't even past the Gibraltar and Canary islands. I am excited too, but god damn, let every boat stretch out the legs a bit. 

It's like watching toddlers playing soccer, just chasing the ball

• Like 2

So long as you arrive in the southern ocean with the lead pack and don't miss the first weather system,  it's fine. If you miss the train,  your going to be pushing to catch back up. And then potentially break stuff.  See Golding in 2008(?)

• Like 1

AT did a Q&A before the race where he mentioned they had chased reliability rather than out right performance with the boat since the rebuild, which is understandable in the circumstances. Also admitted that they didn't do the Vendee Arctique because Alex wasn't ready, rather than the boat.

42 minutes ago, Icedtea said:

Jesus I would love to see the breakdown of posts on this referring to Alex and speculating as to why he is behind vs chat over what's actually happening in the race.

Very surprised at how on the pace Corum is - surely has had the least time to develop of any of the latest gen? 

+1 on Corum as a suprise. I suspect the involvement of CDK + Mer agitée + Desjoyeaux help quite a bit here?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

AT did a Q&A before the race where he mentioned they had chased reliability rather than out right performance with the boat since the rebuild, which is understandable in the circumstances. Also admitted that they didn't do the Vendee Arctique because Alex wasn't ready, rather than the boat.

100%. This is a marathon. No points for I was leading for 1/2 the race and then it broke. So given where he is now he's in the middle of the fleet not off on a flyer and although not leading it's so early it doesn't matter. As long as he stays in touch. 

7 hours ago, Nauti Buoy said:

they could give fans live tracking and still limit what the boats had to every 4 hours or whatever. Vendee boats have internet and can work with team on routing and navigation, so if they gave fans more access they give the teams more access. 

The boats have their (mandatory) AIS beacon switched on and transmitting their PVT every few minutes, 24/7, right (*)?

AIS transmissions are tracked by shore stations but also by satellites 24/7, right?

This 24/7 position data is available (for a fee) to anyone, right?

Even with the AIS turned off, the boats can be tracked 24/7 (for a fee) via multiple commercial sources - and of course some non-commercial ones, but they are not really publicly available, though might be with "connections". Just an example:

https://www.iceye.com/use-cases/security/dark-vessel-detection-for-maritime-security

Dark-Vessel-Detection-Singapore-ICEYE-SA

Dark-Vessel-Detection-Transshipment-ICEY

ICEYE-SAR-Spire-AIS-Example-Argentina.pn

* Vendee Globe race rules:

21.6 AIS The AIS must operate (emission/reception) throughout the whole of the race. Moreover, and without it exempts from its obligation of watch, an AIS disabled boat must immediately inform the Race Management

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Nauti Buoy said:

The VOR boats don't have internet access (or full access at least) and can't speak with on shore teams about routing or navigation, so they could give fans live tracking and still limit what the boats had to every 4 hours or whatever. Vendee boats have internet and can work with team on routing and navigation, so if they gave fans more access they give the teams more access. 

No Vendée boats cannot work with on shore team on routing and navigation, only for technical issues, and they have to contact the race comittee before doing so I think. Otherwise they pretty much have open access to the internet as far as I know (maybe not, putting them all on a VPN shouldn't be hard, but closing all escapes would be)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, yl75 said:

No Vendée boats cannot work with on shore team on routing and navigation, only for technical issues

This is indeed from the rules:

22 ROUTING - ASSISTANCE

22.1 Weather – Routing

22.1.1 Access to weather data

Main principle : The Vendée Globe is a single-handed yacht race, without stopovers, and WITHOUT OUTSIDE ASSISTANCE.

22.1.2 Routing

Routing is prohibited under article 3.1 of the Notice of Race.

22.1.3 Competitors’ undertaking Competitors will be asked to furnish a signed declaration undertaking that his family, as well as his shore team certify that this rule will be complied with. This declaration will be asked for before the start of the race (SI Appendix 1b) and after the competitor’s finish

1 hour ago, astro said:

He has been doing 5 knots a couple of times, I suspect he has some issues.

From the HB website: 37 tacks gybes in the last 4 hours either suggests rubbish data or that he is having some issues on board.

image.png.a1993163c8bc904dc1d0a50c16e2d923.png

18 hours ago, yl75 said:

So it looks like the Doldrums will be kind that time, and even the South Atlantic look great, but still time to change ... 

Both ITCZ and South Atlantic weather forecast is as per climatology plugin, not GFS. When they get closer I will have them in weather forecast range.

3 minutes ago, b3nharris said:

From the HB website: 37 tacks gybes in the last 4 hours either suggests rubbish data or that he is having some issues on board.

He will be worn out already.

15 hours ago, yl75 said:

05h00 09h00 12h00 15h00 18h00 22h00 FR(or CET, put -1 for UTC), so with a big 7 hours hole between 22:00 and 5:00. For me a regular 3 or 2 hours period would have been much better, even 30 minutes !

That huge time hole between 22 and 5 indicates that either there is a human involved in getting that race data available who needs sleep and/or a life. Or the organisation thinks that that timeslot is not interesting for the average fan, and wants to save money here. Combination also possible. My 2 cents.

Is it my imagination, or does the tracker seem to be giving us current wind conditions, even though there's a delay on the boat positions?  Right now the boats seem to be mostly head to wind (and still doing 10-15 knots).  I can only assume this is an old position report superimposed on an updated wind report?

So most of the boats have tacked over onto starboard, game on, as the winds will start to get more unpredictable from here on for a few days. The southern placed boats have taken the 'lead' for a while.

HB is already 40 nm behind Corum, and lost connection with the leading 10 boats. The leading boats average speed +/- 14 kts, HB 10 kts in the past 4 hours. HB will be overtaken by other boats too unless Alex gets his foot down. Do we have any clue why HB is lagging?

I get the point about it being a long race etc etc......but this is a sailing race, and the statement that the rich get richer is all too true. Cannot see how HB could have such a speed deficit, unless he has technical problems. All very well also to talk about conservancy, but again, you just cannot give away that many miles/speed because of the risk of missing windows. As per Alex's interview with Shirley, he's sensitive to not making mistake, or taking flyers in the first few days. He wouldn't have just allowed the others to split away unless a technical issue was preventing him from going with them...

6 minutes ago, Chris UK said:

I get the point about it being a long race etc etc......but this is a sailing race, and the statement that the rich get richer is all too true. Cannot see how HB could have such a speed deficit, unless he has technical problems. All very well also to talk about conservancy, but again, you just cannot give away that many miles/speed because of the risk of missing windows. As per Alex's interview with Shirley, he's sensitive to not making mistake, or taking flyers in the first few days. He wouldn't have just allowed the others to split away unless a technical issue was preventing him from going with them...

..or he is just slow...

• Like 1

Yes latest sked report shows the westerly boats have turned South. Not a big difference in speed between the boats. Alex in the middle. Corum seems to be the boat doing the best ATM seems very slippery in these conditions. 

11 minutes ago, Chris UK said:

He may have had a hiccup don't know.? He certainly isn't the fastest boat in these conditions but he wasn't designed for these conditions. Only 25nm to the lead not the end of the world. Don't forget Alex hasn't done any racing really with his new boat and hasn't competed with the others. He had the one race and broke the boat so they decided to forgo racing and tweak the boat. So at this stage he has to have belief in the boat and the work they have done when the time comes for him to foil, that isn't right now. Give it time.

8 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Yes latest sked report shows the westerly boats have turned South. Not a big difference in speed between the boats. Alex in the middle. Corum seems to be the boat doing the best ATM seems very slippery in these conditions. 

I believe I read that the JK designs expect to have an advantage close to the wind in  light conditions. Back then I was wandering why you would optimize for such conditions

Let's also not forget that Alex was able to claw back about 600 nms in the last edition and give Armel a real run for his money at the end of the race - even with a broken foil.  As long as he is still in the race, AT will always pose a real threat.  

• Like 2