bigrpowr

Vendee Globe 2020

44 minutes ago, WLIS Jibing said:

Let's also not forget that Alex was able to claw back about 600 nms in the last edition and give Armel a real run for his money at the end of the race - even with a broken foil.  As long as he is still in the race, AT will always pose a real threat.  

Fair point. We still have the whole globe for a catch-up.

• Like 1

Can we start a conspiracy thread that AT is not really doing the race, he's just in a studio mock up somewhere? 

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, WLIS Jibing said:

Let's also not forget that Alex was able to claw back about 600 nms in the last edition and give Armel a real run for his money at the end of the race - even with a broken foil.  As long as he is still in the race, AT will always pose a real threat.  

But he was on his remaining foil most of the up Atlantic leg, and Armel had no reason to take risks.

Anyway, to me its clear he had the best boat the last time, to be seen for this one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ague said:

+1 on Corum as a suprise. I suspect the involvement of CDK + Mer agitée + Desjoyeaux help quite a bit here?

Seb Josse just being interviewed on the daily live, said they pushed for long distance training runs (10-12 days), trying to break stuff, over the summer due to the short build up time. 

• Like 1

Alex is reporting hitting some fishing net (?),  some issue with a headsail and the generator ... eventful night ..

1 hour ago, terrafirma said:

True but I guess you have to put it in perspective:

1. Only English competitor who has give the French a run for their money

2. He has gone 3rd and 2nd and had the fastest boat last time around but broke a foil 

3. He's 46 odd and probably doing his last race

4. He has the sentimental following

Have I missed anything??? What's his name again..........................................??

Won't argue with 2, 3 and 4

But Ellen McArthur, Mike Golding? 

Did I miss anyone? 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Chris UK said:

I get the point about it being a long race etc etc......but this is a sailing race, and the statement that the rich get richer is all too true. Cannot see how HB could have such a speed deficit, unless he has technical problems. All very well also to talk about conservancy, but again, you just cannot give away that many miles/speed because of the risk of missing windows. As per Alex's interview with Shirley, he's sensitive to not making mistake, or taking flyers in the first few days. He wouldn't have just allowed the others to split away unless a technical issue was preventing him from going with them...

To train more with the boat makes sense as Charal did. I doubt Alex can do much as the boat was on land for quite a while. 

Losing a sheet is a typical mistake for a "new boat".  There are newer French boats already..We won't talk about Alex being 2nd or 3rd.

Alex top 5, good! 

14 minutes ago, Icedtea said:

Won't argue with 2, 3 and 4

But Ellen McArthur, Mike Golding? 

Did I miss anyone? 

Sam

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, tallyho said:

Can we start a conspiracy thread that AT is not really doing the race, he's just in a studio mock up somewhere? 

.....and if you look over Alex's shoulder, in the window reflection, you can see a lunar lander! ........Same studio. 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Chris UK said:

.....and if you look over Alex's shoulder, in the window reflection, you can see a lunar lander! ........Same studio. 

I think you can also see Biggie and Tupac in that reflection if you look really closely. 

• Like 1

.....if there a thread where Alex is the only boat/person ever mentioned? i.e. endless discussion of his favourite colour, record collection, why he needs solitude etc.

Might really allow me to relax and enjoy the next 70days.  These other boats get in the way for me.

• Like 1

Just now, Barons said:

I think you can also see Biggie and Tupac in that reflection if you look really closely. 

Yeah it's really obvious, that's the only reason why you would enclose cockpit like that. I'm just thinking, because of the laggy video if it's all simulation Alex included. 

He/she who makes an extra effort to engage the outside world during the race wins the hearts and minds of people. 

It is just the way it is. If Alex Thomson never spent time and bandwidth money uploading and speaking candidly about his troubles and losing with grace, Hugo Boss project would have ended a long time ago. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, minca3 said:

Because Alex is one of the very few to bother to communicate to English speaking sailing fans. I'd expect to have much more talk about Beyou or Dalin if they would bother to talk to a non french crowd.
And I don't want this to be a dig against the french, but fact is that in the immediate future I won't have time and energy to learn the language. And when you can't follow the story of a sports person in their own language you just don't get engaged in that story. And what else than story telling is the VG?

Because if Mick Jagger showed up at a Parisian accordion competition with a pink and black accordion people would talk about Mick Jagger playing a pink and black accordion even if he played chopsticks for the first day. They would not talk about the gaggle of French accordion dudes who can’t write internet tracking software that works worth a shit but can play Chopin. And Mick Jagger would kick accordion ass once he figured out how to get some air into the goddamn thing.

• Like 5
  • Downvote 1

58 minutes ago, vesa said:

Alex is reporting hitting some fishing net (?),  some issue with a headsail and the generator ... eventful night ..

Jeez.  Poor bugger will have had to go outside!

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, minca3 said:

Because Alex is one of the very few to bother to communicate to English speaking sailing fans. I'd expect to have much more talk about Beyou or Dalin if they would bother to talk to a non french crowd.
And I don't want this to be a dig against the french, but fact is that in the immediate future I won't have time and energy to learn the language. And when you can't follow the story of a sports person in their own language you just don't get engaged in that story. And what else than story telling is the VG?

Well, you are not willing to bother the efforts to follow something *you* care about, why would the French skippers make an effort to do something they don't care about at all?  After all all the sponsors are French, and don't care that much about English either. You should see it from their perspective.

3 minutes ago, james_007_bond said:

Well, you are not willing to bother the efforts to follow something *you* care about, why would the French skippers make an effort to do something they don't care about at all?  After all all the sponsors are French, and don't care that much about English either. You should see it from their perspective.

Viva la resistance. For the record, Alex’s website stayed up. And he was #8 out of 33 with a (French) fishing net hanging off his rudder.

Game on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vesa said:

He's not the only one. Maxime Sorel (V and B - Mayenne) got one in his rudder as well.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, james_007_bond said:

I (and probably many others) are willing to put effort in it; but have you checked what garbage auto-translation spit out when used with youtube videos or online texts?

And lets look at other international sports: 

Max Verstappen on twitter: https://twitter.com/Max33Verstappen 

See any Dutch there?

How about Roger Federer: https://twitter.com/rogerfederer

Any German there?

1 minute ago, james_007_bond said:

He's not the only one. Maxime Sorel (V and B - Mayenne) got one in his rudder as well.

Beyou too: He said on the live that he caught something on the keel, and it took a few hours to remove it.

13 minutes ago, tallyho said:

Sam Davies looking pretty strong at the moment.. Corum continues to impress. 

Indeed. But she and the group around her are missing ~20nm of westing compared to Charal and Corum. According to Mike Golding westing is currently key ...

Amedeo is back in the Sable harbor when the team went atop the mast to fix the gennaker hook that did not unhook they found cracks on the top of the mast… They are hoping to fix it all today, to exit with the tide tonight, but if they miss it, it's tomorrow morning.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, minca3 said:

I (and probably many others) are willing to put effort in it; but have you checked what garbage auto-translation spit out when used with youtube videos or online texts?

See any Dutch there?

Any German there?

you need to study France a bit more.. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, james_007_bond said:

Yeah, but Alex got caught in a French net. To make it worse, it probably was a Breton one.

Clarisse impressive also, only daggerboard boat in the foils pack, 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Chris UK said:

Just redecorated the same prop.

17 minutes ago, yl75 said:

Clarisse impressive also, only daggerboard boat in the foils pack, 

Yup, Since this thread requires a HB mention for every fact, I would like to point out that of the last update Alex has all his groupies around: Sam, Clarisse and Isabelle are all in a 5nm circle around him :)

• Like 3

TBH the moaning and the groupies probably mention his name and boat without substantive updates in equal measure - but I suspect the trending machine doesn't care.

Update on the coming weather. Gale developing west of Azores HP system. Moving northeast in the coming days. Several LP zones expected in the coming days moving subsequently NE and making it a very uncomfortable ride. Staying close to La Coruna is less wind than further west, but an even more dangerous lee shore.

See the big red arrow for the current leader at 12:00 CEST. And the blue arrow for the projected rough paths of the LP zones and gale.

Input

• GFS 10 days 
  • Imoca 60 polars
  • Climate pugin
  • NOAA Atlantic chart as overlay
  • Position 12:00 CEST 

big view 091120 1500.png

view 091120 1500.png

detailed view 091120 1500.png

• Like 13

Thanks Herman, very informative and useful as usual. Next time, to save time, you should probably only compute HB. Other boats are not so important and pretty useless on this forum. In addition, they are mostly french sailors who are not even speaking english !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Der_Dude said:

Yeah, but Alex got caught in a French net. To make it worse, it probably was a Breton one.

Probably grumpy about the Brexit fishing negotiations.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Herman said:

Staying close to La Coruna is less wind than further west, but an even more dangerous lee shore.

Yah I would not want to be within visual range of Cape Finisterre and the further away from random fishing the better.

1 hour ago, minca3 said:

See any Dutch there?

Any German there?

Neither Dutch nor German have ever been the international language of diplomacy... This is France we're talking about... The way that anglophones fail to see the point only reinforces it!

On the English broadcast at 12:30 GMT there were questions being posted as to why it wasn't being broadcast in French, "..it's a French race!" was among the comments.

Look at it from a French PoV.

Cheers,

W.

• Like 1

Once the fleet spreads out, the dialogue will become more about the leaders, the close contests, relative speeds of boats behind if they catch something and make gains, damage and repairs, flyer routings, etc.  We'll have a variety of reasons to take interest in a variety of boats.  Until then, the focus in this global English-speaking forum is going to be on whoever has done the best job of garnering interest from the global English-speaking audience.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, WGWarburton said:

Neither Dutch nor German have ever been the international language of diplomacy... This is France we're talking about... The way that anglophones fail to see the point only reinforces it!

On the English broadcast at 12:30 GMT there were questions being posted as to why it wasn't being broadcast in French, "..it's a French race!" was among the comments.

Cheers,

W.

The French are VERY self-centered as a society, to the point that it’s becoming a bit of a detriment. Imo a result of forced assimilation during the 19th and early 20th, up until recently Gaelic names were even banned for those in Brittany. 

lol - we've gone from "wHy dO yOu cArE aBoUt huGo bOss" to "wHy iSn't iT in eNglish/inTl time" to cultural anthropology 

• Like 2

We'll know more about relative performance once they are around the first corner. Won't take that much longer.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

Alex is either sleeping or all monitoring system failed or he ditched them!

Screen Shot 2020-11-09 at 9.07.05 AM.png

According to the heart rate, would say he is dead ! :wacko:

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, yl75 said:

According to the heart rate, would say he is dead ! :wacko:

He ditched the sensors for a wash-up or was just fed-up with them. Take a pick.

5 minutes ago, Raptorsailor said:

The French are VERY self-centered as a society, to the point that it’s becoming a bit of a detriment. Imo a result of forced assimilation during the 19th and early 20th, up until recently Gaelic names were even banned for those in Brittany. 

Chauvinism is called Chauvinism for a reason.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BozoC said:

Thanks Herman, very informative and useful as usual. Next time, to save time, you should probably only compute HB. Other boats are not so important and pretty useless on this forum. In addition, they are mostly french sailors who are not even speaking english !

I won't go into this British-French argument, other to say that my forefather is originally from Picardy/Picardie and arrived in The Netherlands in 1632 as a freelance soldier :rolleyes:

10 minutes ago, Herman said:

He ditched the sensors for a wash-up or was just fed-up with them. Take a pick.

Just imaging the scene in Apollo 13 where Tom Hanks ripped them off out of anger. 

14 minutes ago, WGWarburton said:

Cheers,

W.

Wow, I'm surprised. I actually went back to the official Vende site expecting to see that the all French broardcast had happened prior to/after the english version.  I can only imagine that it is being well supported with nightly French TV updates, so don't loose too much sleep.

Re "Its a French race"......they better be hoping that Ineos or Sky doesn't show an interest....we all know how that ended up.....and how the welcome changed over time.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, WGWarburton said:

Cheers,

W.

Sure. Whatever. I would just to add this: Alex Thompson, Hugo Boss.

7 hours ago, minca3 said:

No, HB is on v2, Charal had developed a v3 but I don't know whether they use v2 or v3 in the race

IIRC, the French commentary at the start pointed towards the use of the V3.

• Like 2

I believe so too - v1 is what DMG Mori is using - v2 was more similar to the curvature of Hugo Boss, v3 kind of a return to v1 but looked like it had slimmer profile at the ends

In re that chart - looks like he took a nap, 72 bpm heartrate seems more healthy than being in the 90s-100s for 2 days straight. 

Looks like some fun ahead...

Showers and thunderstorms associated with a non-tropical low 
pressure system located several hundred miles southwest of the 
Azores continue to get gradually better organized. Further 
development is expected, and a tropical or subtropical storm will 
likely form during the next few days while the system moves eastward 
or east-northeastward over the northeastern Atlantic Ocean. 
* Formation chance through 48 hours...medium...50 percent. 
* Formation chance through 5 days...high...70 percent.

image.png.9907cc4d61a12f8baeda16d1f5c88fa3.png

• Like 6

Apparently several boats have had issues with their staysails hooks.

Fabrice Amedeo in back in Les Sables d'Olonne to fix it with his team. They found out that there was a small crack on the mast where the halyard comes out of the mast and are fixing it right now. They hope to be done within a day.

An article in French on the official website also refers to LinkedOut and Hugo Boss having problems with hooks...

Also, La Mie Câline with Arnaud Boissières has a more serious hook problem: the hook for the small genaker is stuck in the mast and he cannot get it down. The sail is furled so it is OK for now, but they need to get the sail down before they go through the front. All tentatives to get it down have failed so far. They do not exclude the option to climb the mast to fix it... Talk about an eventful start for Arnaud Boissières...

Also, HB is not the only one to have issues with fishing nets. V&B Mayenne with Maxime Sorel and Charal with Jérémy Beyou both had issues with fishng nets as well. Jérémy is even concerned that the keel foil may be damaged.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Laurent said:

Also, HB is not the only one to have issues with fishing nets. V&B Mayenne with Maxime Sorel and Charal with Jérémy Beyou both had issues with fishng nets as well. Jérémy is even concerned that the keel foil may be damaged.

That is not good news.  Too much garbage in the oceans.  Looks like two days or so of upwind work.

Vendee20.JPG

Vendeesum.JPG

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Laurent said:

Apparently several boats have had issues with their staysails hooks.

Fabrice Amedeo in back in Les Sables d'Olonne to fix it with his team. They found out that there was a small crack on the mast where the halyard comes out of the mast and are fixing it right now. They hope to be done within a day.

An article in French on the official website also refers to LinkedOut and Hugo Boss having problems with hooks...

Also, La Mie Câline with Arnaud Boissières has a more serious hook problem: the hook for the small genaker is stuck in the mast and he cannot get it down. The sail is furled so it is OK for now, but they need to get the sail down before they go through the front. All tentatives to get it down have failed so far. They do not exclude the option to climb the mast to fix it... Talk about an eventful start for Arnaud Boissières...

Thank you for the update. Bummer on the hooks/locks; that was and may remain a contentious issue for the Newport to Bermuda race organizers, they basically want a fail-proof way to get the sails down, meanwhile many new boats are designed with halyard locks that may or may not fail at inopportune times. Of course, halyard sheaves can also fail at the wrong time.

Real bummer on all the nets/debris collection, I hope there isn't damage to any of the teams suffering net problems so early in the race.

1 minute ago, samc99us said:

Thank you for the update. Bummer on the hooks/locks; that was and may remain a contentious issue for the Newport to Bermuda race organizers, they basically want a fail-proof way to get the sails down, meanwhile many new boats are designed with halyard locks that may or may not fail at inopportune times. Of course, halyard sheaves can also fail at the wrong time.

Real bummer on all the nets/debris collection, I hope there isn't damage to any of the teams suffering net problems so early in the race.

Bermuda Race complains about everything. Let's be real. 

5 minutes ago, KingMonkey said:

Newbie question: which boats in this race are 2020 generation? 

Apivia
Arkea Paprec
Charal
Corum
DMG Mori
Hugo Boss
LinkedOut 
L'Occtitane

FYI, the French version of the evening catchup broadcast is at 18:15. So the french are being catered for.

3 minutes ago, Haji said:

Dang, I should have thought of this before the 04/05 race

heheh. Good to read you again. Thought of your 'singing keel' yesterday during the discussions about the decibels onboard.

So, who/ what are you watching for this time around? 

Well this is going to be addictive to the point of unhealthiness I suspect. Lord I do love the Vendee...

• Like 7

Looks like the group of five lead by Samantha Davies got a bit of a lift. Would assume they're sailing as high as possible to get West of the wind hole.

11 minutes ago, stief said:

heheh. Good to read you again. Thought of your 'singing keel' yesterday during the discussions about the decibels onboard.

So, who/ what are you watching for this time around? 

Alex and Sam of course.  However the contenders are numerous and talented.  And the boats are incredible.  I created a ranking chart for an ESPN interview I did however they didn't run it.  It's early in the game but I'm sure I'll be wrong on many of my guesses.  Enjoyed seeing the old Fox JLC in the lead for a bit last night..

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Haji said:

I created a ranking chart for an ESPN interview

Cool. Any chance you can post it here?

19 minutes ago, stief said:

Cool. Any chance you can post it here?

Maybe. I'm thinking about it.

Tonight will be decisive.
The foilers storm with 12 knots towards the coast, north west of spain.
1153417507_VendeeGlobe3.thumb.PNG.15fcc170b2f4b8de773021ff18a5bdea.PNG
Who'll be in front of the portugeese coast first.
My best guess is Corum skippered by Nicolas Troussel.
course-au-large-imoca-vendee-globe-2020-corum-eloi-stichelbaut-polaryse-ado021.jpeg.be2e30f6faad5334314f4827b0fc0b39.jpeg

Does anyone dare to make a prediction how the fleet will route through the next 2 - 3 days? In the Vendee Flash #01 [EN] they speculated that they would head west through the front ...

5 minutes ago, Miffy said:

"Decisive" is a bit much no?

........I hope the guy that hasn't even started doesn't read that. 

7 minutes ago, Miffy said:

"Decisive" is a bit much no?

A well indication is better nuanced.
After that the fleet will be following each other, not much tactics.
Yeah a bit, wind shifts, fighting for every mile.

To take the lead is what I meant.

Looking at CORUM above, their doesn't look like a wild amount of difference re the foils from Hugo Boss 2016 i.e. long and flat.....and Alex is clear that the new boat is significantly quicker than the old.....and the new boats foils design to minimise ventilation ("specifically designed to minimise this" (Seahorse - August)).........so can we expect CORUM's foils to ventilate?

Konstantin Grcic Industrial Design

Quick highlights. Fabrice "has 10  days" to fix quite a serious issue with his mast

• Like 1

Nice update, I'm a fan of Boris Herman, always nice and relaxed, Corum sounds like she's stonking along!

• Like 1

Just read re Hugo Boss's second set of foils. The second set were a refinement of the first set used on the TJV. Alex says that they had enough data from the TJV to make an informed decision for the second set, and could have changed concept completely/were open minded etc, but the data said that the concept was right so they went with the refinement option. (all parrot phrased from Seahorse, August 20) 

3 minutes ago, Chris UK said:

Looking at CORUM above, their doesn't look like a wild amount of difference re the foils from Hugo Boss 2016 i.e. long and flat.....and Alex is clear that the new boat is significantly quicker than the old.....and the new boats foils design to minimise ventilation ("specifically designed to minimise this" (Seahorse - August)).........so can we expect CORUM's foils to ventilate?

That would make sense if they took zero learnings from what went before....which absolutely isn't the case

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chris UK said:

The test will be in the first down wind run.
The boats differ a lot in hull shapes and foil profiles.
Perhaps there will be a very obvious winner.
They migth hit a lump of ice with their foil in the night in the polar seas; nobody knows.

1 minute ago, JonRowe said:

I'm a fan of Boris Herman

Me too, maybe. I'm watching who will fill the gap in my interest left by Rich Wilson, Nandor Fa and Conrad Colman. Ari, Herman and Pip are contenders ;) 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chris UK said:

FYI, the French version of the evening catchup broadcast is at 18:15. So the french are being catered for.

If you don't like the way a French organization is running a French race, starting from a French harbour, and so far won only by French sailors, why don't you create your own race from the UK?

• Like 13

1 minute ago, Laurent said:

If you don't like the way a French organization is running a French race, starting from a French harbour, and so far won only by French sailors, why don't you create your own race from the UK?

Ah, well the Poms used to have one of those, Laurent, but they've had to rely on the French to rescue it. ;-)

• Like 4

Just now, Laurent said:

eh? never made any negative comment about Vende org etc. None at all. Earlier in the day is was noted that some of the French viewers were frustrated that the discussion was being conducted in English. I was pointing out that Vende was indeed catering to the French audience, which is great/as it should be. 

Looking at the first generation foilers, Sam Daviesis doing an excellent job, but Kevin Escoffier on PRB is very well positioned as well, only 13 nm right behind Corum. And Clarisse is just outstanding, with straight daggerboards and in the middle of the pack of the foilers!

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Chris UK said:

eh? never made any negative comment about Vende org etc. None at all. Earlier in the day is was noted that some of the French viewers were frustrated that the discussion was being conducted in English. I was pointing out that Vende was indeed catering to the French audience, which is great/as it should be. 

You know very well that the frustration was NOT the fact that the conversation has been in English; this is a forum ran by an American, after all! The frustration was that more than 50% of the discussion was on Alex Thomson and Hugo Boss, at the expense of all the other competitors performance.

Just now, Laurent said:

You know very well that the frustration was NOT the fact that the conversation has been in English; this is a forum ran by an American, after all! The frustration was that more than 50% of the discussion was on Alex Thomson and Hugo Boss, at the expense of all the other competitors performance.

The more data they provide the more they get talked about - Hugo Boss has an interesting boat, a skipper who doesn't mind the cameras and a hub that is currently giving more information than the official site. It is kind of like demanding people to talk about other skippers in a vacuum. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Laurent said:

Looking at the first generation foilers, Sam Daviesis doing an excellent job, but Kevin Escoffier on PRB is very well position as well, only 13 nm right behind Corum. And Clarisse is just outstanding, with straight daggerboards and in the middle of the pack of the foilers!

I think Sam and Kevin mentioned that their respective boats are performing better than even Hugo Boss 2016 - and I think Boris called it generation 1.5 or something.