bigrpowr

Vendee Globe 2020

13 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

Is that a Sir Robin bobblehead in the background?

Yes it is.

So, still a full pack with that update. Nothing to outrageous on the first glance.
Would be more obvious what comes next with the TSS on the tracker.

Looks like the Western split made gains over the last four hours. The Western split also looks divided between boats sailing 60-70°TWA and 90-110°TWA.

Any speculation as to VMG angles in the light stuff off the foils?

7 minutes ago, staysail said:

Just can't imagine why anyone would actually want to sail round the world shut up in the inside of a black box. I like to see people having fun!

Aren't you the same fellow who thought VOR65's were stupid and dangerous because of water over the deck? An center cockpit that's indoors is suddenly too much for you?

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Ah, well the Poms used to have one of those, Laurent, but they've had to rely on the French to rescue it. ;-)

only if they give their fishes away.

So many good comments here, I'm neatly through my daily quota of "like reacts (if that's what you'd call them)."

1 minute ago, ALL@SEA said:

Not Kenny Rogers? ;)

Close enough. :lol:
As long as Alex knows what the figure is supposed to show.

Tonight the skippers should run out of juice. I hope they managed their sleep right.

7 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Aren't you the same fellow who thought VOR65's were stupid and dangerous because of water over the deck? An center cockpit that's indoors is suddenly too much for you?

No. Not me.

I don't like the 65s but not for that reason. Just they are slow (compared with the 70s and Imocas) and not fun to sail. At least that's what folk who have raced them first time round told me.

Good opportunity shortly for Burton to serve his penalty.  Get headed, get into the light stuff, and then go sleep for 5 hours while it shifts, dies, and builds back up again.  Resume sailing on the other tack in more breeze that's building.

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, Laurent said:

You know very well that the frustration was NOT the fact that the conversation has been in English; this is a forum ran by an American, after all! The frustration was that more than 50% of the discussion was on Alex Thomson and Hugo Boss, at the expense of all the other competitors performance.

Well, if you communicate with the world, the world responds... I have trouble followind the French sailors because I don't know wtf they are. I know who AT is, and I understand his language.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Chris UK said:

If you look back above you will see that someone commented on the face that the midday briefing was conducted in English. I then posted a comment, in which i noted that I was surprised/shocked to see that indeed the English version of the broadcast had not been preceded/followed by a version in French. I was really surprised.

Having then noticed that the evening show was boardcast in French.....I then wanted to point that out i.e. good on you Vende doing right by your home audience. Honestly, your trying to tar me but hey ho.

At not point was i addressing the issue of coverage of Alex Thompson, if that indeed was the source of French frustration. Hopefully Vende will read the comments and try to address it with more content from the French sailors......which would be great. 

Next.

It looks like I mis-understood you.

Sorry about that.

23 minutes ago, Miffy said:

And he was right.... they were absolute shitters compared to to V70's

I would think that in the next few hours the fleet will tack to the SW/WSW, in an attempt to avoid the huge dead patch off the coast of Portugal which will extend well south down the African coast this year. The real question is how far west will they go? A complex weather system is brewing west of the Azores with strong winds.

Zezo is suggesting a big swing out to the west before heading south halfway between the Canaries and the CV islands.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Icedtea said:

Is there an option for a thread free of endless HB speculation? 

I like the guy but Christ, why is every second post about him. 

There are many other boats the same could be said about

Inverse AT discussion by IT

23 minutes ago, yl75 said:

Corum and PRB plunged South earlier :

Capture_d’écran_2020-11-09_à_22_55_06.png

Really interesting,  looks to have happened at the same time. New forecast and change of strategy? Looks like change of sail and start footing down south. 

What good would it be to go west and then upwind down until you reach the Canaries?

It’s fucking cool that the race matters so much that early breakdowns return and restart. Is there any other sport or race where they do that?

Tracker Stasis Bubble Disease,  that 7 freeking hours of no updates, it's like shutting off the barley/hop taps and pouring only water for 7 hrs.  Miserable 

• Like 3

The forecast uncertainty and distance west to cross the front is a bad bet you don’t have to cover yet. Rhumb line for 12-24 hours and then pick a side. 

1 hour ago, staysail said:

Just can't imagine why anyone would actually want to sail round the world shut up in the inside of a black box. I like to see people having fun!

I’d like to see you spend 30 minutes in a 2020 Imoca with an open cockpit in the Indian Ocean in December...

This is gonna be good. Can't wait to see the times.

7 minutes ago, dolphinmaster said:

Tracker Stasis Bubble Disease,  that 7 freeking hours of no updates, it's like shutting off the barley/hop taps and pouring only water for 7 hrs.  Miserable 

Well said. Now tell it to the VG :rolleyes:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Herman said:

Apparently we're being selfish for wanting more updates as it's not about us.......

27 minutes ago, Herman said:

By the way if a petition was to be raised towards the VG for updates frequency/schedules, what would one choose here ?

For me there isn't much cost involved, although of course if the frequency was 5 or 2 mn or even less it could be, and such extremes would really change the race for the skippers.

But from 30mn, 1h, 2h , 3 or 4h don't think there is any additional cost involved.

For me clearly, that 7 hours hole is ridiculous, but I would hesitate between 2, 3 and 4h, leaning more between 3 or 4.

You ?

If there’s to be a petition the tone needs to be right and not the whining re “my exp sucks/France is weird how dare they have schedules that match their production hours”

1. 2020 is a year where we need solidarity in ever changing unstable environment 

2. Vendee Globe highlights the best of humanity conquering difficult tasks in a competition that is also about solidarity and community amongst competitors. 

3. It brings so much hope and joy and French culture to the outside world. 

4. Then you insert the ask. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Kenny Dumas said:

It’s fucking cool that the race matters so much that early breakdowns return and restart. Is there any other sport or race where they do that?

marriage

• Like 8

Apologies for using a Scuttlebut tip, but nice overview of the contenders. 

Full disclosure: there are few mentions of AT.

• Like 3

This 7 hour hole is killing me. Will be a lot better when the novelty wears off and I only check in a couple times a day.

Seems like a lot of the fleet don't have AIS available. Damien Seguin still hasn't tacked and is headed for A Caruna in 5kts of breeze according to Marine Traffic

image.png.44b3a7cbedbd01bb3e928f4a371031f6.png

36 minutes ago, yl75 said:

Just watched it completely , really great analysis, going through the weather but also what it will imply in terms of sail changes, etc ( and cargos, fishermans )

Next few days are really key and will be challenging, finding sleeping slots will be tough.

He will do one at least every Monday 9:30 pm, and maybe some text/graphics ones in between, also on FB.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, climenuts said:

This 7 hour hole is killing me. Will be a lot better when the novelty wears off and I only check in a couple times a day.

Seems like a lot of the fleet don't have AIS available. Damien Seguin still hasn't tacked and is headed for A Caruna in 5kts of breeze according to Marine Traffic

image.png.44b3a7cbedbd01bb3e928f4a371031f6.png

Yah... I started wondering several hours ago what his approach is going to be; been rooting for him particularly because if his paraolympic work but kind of concerning. 

37 minutes ago, stief said:

Apologies for using a Scuttlebut tip, but nice overview of the contenders. 

Full disclosure: there are few mentions of AT.

He forgot Corum in his list right ?

Judging by the increased "Physiological work" and heart rate at 2300 UTC it would appear AT tacked or did a sail change.

Corum and Charal consistently faster than the other newer boats. Charal sailed the most miles in the last 24 hours suggesting he has speed in these conditions. No surprise really the most prepared boat. Certainly this time around there are more new boats than the last rendition. Corum has to be acknowledged ATM for it's consistency. I get a gut feeling these two may clear out on the others if they reach new conditions 1st which seems likely. 

5 minutes ago, climenuts said:

Judging by the increased "Physiological work" and heart rate at 2300 UTC it would appear AT tacked or did a sail change.

Or used the carbon bucket :P freeze dried food often makes it really hard to poop

22 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Or used the carbon bucket :P freeze dried food often makes it really hard to poop

Wouldn’t be into the freeze dried yet.  Surely you’d eat fresh first couple of days.

or do you go super pro and transition to freeze dry a week in advance so your body gets used to it.  I can’t see many French daily doing that.

41 minutes ago, Miffy said:

I'd assume he'll need to be relaxed enough to sleep to make use of the bucket.

12 minutes ago, huey 2 said:

Haha. maybe in 10 years the skeds to the public will also be about rapid data collection and processing.

Thanks to the fibre optics, the skipper knows the dynamic loads instantly and for example the deformations of the foil or the slamming loads on the hull. Nothing is left to chance, the teams are getting more and more sophisticated. On board foilers, the Vendée Globe is now as much about rapid data collections and processing as it is about sail and foil shapes."

Still chuckling. She's quite entertaining, especially when hand steering. I think I'm a fan

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, stief said:

Still chuckling. She's quite entertaining, especially when hand steering. I think I'm a fan

Yah she’s got a great attitude and just getting to this point IMHO makes her a success story. That boat has less technology than some IRC4 boats. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, stief said:

That is fabulous. 

• Like 1

Kojiro Shiraishi seems slower than I expected on a newer boat. Looks like he turned south late, but still. Anyone know if anything is up? Fishing gear? 

3 hours ago, yl75 said:

By the way if a petition was to be raised towards the VG for updates frequency/schedules, what would one choose here ?

For me there isn't much cost involved, although of course if the frequency was 5 or 2 mn or even less it could be, and such extremes would really change the race for the skippers.

But from 30mn, 1h, 2h , 3 or 4h don't think there is any additional cost involved.

For me clearly, that 7 hours hole is ridiculous, but I would hesitate between 2, 3 and 4h, leaning more between 3 or 4.

You ?

No delay and constant real time updates...... it puts us all there..... 
I also want to go to any boat live all the times.....yes sure, they will need dunny curtains but they don't weigh much 

6 minutes ago, sunol said:

Kojiro Shiraishi seems slower than I expected on a newer boat. Looks like he turned south late, but still. Anyone know if anything is up? Fishing gear? 

He’s not known to be a very fast charging competitor - his stated goal is to be the first Japanese/E Asian to finish. 

• Like 1

So somewhat off topic, but how do the imocas compare to the new ultime tris? I thought some of those teams were going for the 'round the sphere record

6 minutes ago, ivansh said:

So somewhat off topic, but how do the imocas compare to the new ultime tris? I thought some of those teams were going for the 'round the sphere record

imocas have legacy fleet considerations when putting together new regs, reliability and cost containment is a concern for the skippers. 

Ultimes are just dock queens that do two events a year at best - if they don’t break. Yes they’re a lot faster but they have extremely narrow safe operating parameters whereas imocas don’t have the luxury of picking your ideal weather window to leave for a lap around the world during perfect conditions. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Miffy said:

If there’s to be a petition the tone needs to be right and not the whining re “my exp sucks/France is weird how dare they have schedules that match their production hours”

1. 2020 is a year where we need solidarity in ever changing unstable environment 

2. Vendee Globe highlights the best of humanity conquering difficult tasks in a competition that is also about solidarity and community amongst competitors. 

3. It brings so much hope and joy and French culture to the outside world. 

4. Then you insert the ask. 

Mate. Trump might have benefited from your advice. On the other hand, you don't strike me as much of a 'yes man', so... ;-)

5 minutes ago, ivansh said:

Well, the Jules Verne Trophy time for pretty much the same course is 40 days 23 hours 30 minutes 30 seconds. Set by IDEC, a shorter tri, not an Ultime, but longer tris did not do as well in previous (and later) attempts. 

Vendee record--set last time round, is 74 days, three hours and 35 minutes.

Some models showed a current IMOCA like Hugo Boss might theoretically round in 59 days.

So, 1 hull is about 1/3 slower than 3

So what sort of speeds do the newer generation do?

1 minute ago, Steve said:

That's what we're waiting to see.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Steve said:

Linked Out mentioned 28 knots already since the start, in nothing like ideal conditions.  Mid-30's have been reported in recent years.  I don't think anyone is claiming 40 knots, but maybe I missed it.  I know Charal specifically said they had not hit 40.  

15 minutes ago, stief said:

Well, the Jules Verne Trophy time for pretty much the same course is 40 days 23 hours 30 minutes 30 seconds. Set by IDEC, a shorter tri, not an Ultime, but longer tris did not do as well in previous (and later) attempts. 

Vendee record--set last time round, is 74 days, three hours and 35 minutes.

Some models showed a current IMOCA like Hugo Boss might theoretically round in 59 days.

So, 1 hull is about 1/3 slower than 3

If you want to get nit picky then Gabart's record from 2017 is probably a better  one to reference. His tri was an Ultime and he was solo.

Still, its not a whole lot slower than the crewed Idec. 42 Days, 16 hours, 40 minutes, 35 seconds.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

If you want to get nit picky then Gabart's record from 2017 is probably a better  one to reference. His tri was an Ultime and he was solo.

Still, its not a whole lot slower than the crewed Idec. 42 Days, 16 hours, 40 minutes, 35 seconds.

Good point --should have also used his Vendee time of 78 days, two hours, 16 minutes, which was a record in 2013

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Miffy said:

Kind of concerned for Damien Seguin's course. 

Now I’m really concerned for him. 

C1EBB89D-1B96-4851-995B-B72EB5F6AAE3.jpeg

A couple of the guys are considering thier first negative VMG.

Bah. took forever to try and find a tracker that shows the TSS zone at Finistiere

Vesselfinder has the navionics map for free, and Charal is showing on AIS there.

Maybe that will help sort out the tracks. Sheesh, I miss Forss's contributions.

1460657038_ScreenShot2020-11-09at10_33_18PM.thumb.png.e373aa5e627dd1ba6f367c8b9cc5c69a.png 

• Like 3

Charal taken the lead as the lottery continues. He seems to be able to keep his boat speed up while the others fall away. We have a West and North group now

36 minutes ago, ivansh said:

Theta just got announced. Is this the first time we've gotten into greek letters since 2005?

image.png.2a2cd341a0fa4a3162910967993188b8.png

Go the Cone.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mad Mac said:

Was it worth the wait?

Fuck yeah...... Why didn't someone tell me we were on........    The 7 hour gap is definitely better for my business

• Like 1

Bragging with Romain for the minute (all academic, I know). 

• 9image-c-45-45.jpg
  •  

Romain ATTANASIOPURE - Best Western

• 6.77 kts12.54 km/h
  • 6.74 kts
  • 195°
  • 23958.8 nm44371.7 km

1.4%
  • 20.1 nm37.23 km
  • 10image-c-45-45.jpg
  • Sam DAVIESINITIATIVES-COEUR

• 6.55 kts12.13 km/h
  • 6.55 kts
  • 202°
  • 23959.6 nm44373.18 km

1.4%
  • 20.9 nm

1 hour ago, ivansh said:

Theta just got announced. Is this the first time we've gotten into greek letters since 2005?

image.png.2a2cd341a0fa4a3162910967993188b8.png

Don't know the answer to your question, but I think theta is the 8th letter in the Greek alphabet. Don't know at what stage a depression gets the letter.

Pip is on my list to watch every transmission. (Great video Virgulino!) As is le Cam. (I'll miss the "clack, clack" this time around).

41 minutes ago, r.finn said:

uncooked rice on the floor...  Immensely complicated forecast.  Bless them.

rice on floor.JPG

Big split early on. Someone will be right,  someone will be wrong! I guess this could pan out as a 100 mile loss or lead in a day or two. I'm following Corum in the south and l'occitane in the west to see. Two boats if like to see do well. 

19 minutes ago, Kenny Dumas said:

Look at the Fox dig into the header at Finnisterre. Probably catching a current too

Already missing the old tracker with the full Windy overlay. (Though any current that right there is likely too micro to show up)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, oioi said:

Big split early on. Someone will be right,  someone will be wrong! I guess this could pan out as a 100 mile loss or lead in a day or two. I'm following Corum in the south and l'occitane in the west to see. Two boats if like to see do well. 

My money's on artel in better wind

There were a number of mentions before the start about "boat breaking conditions" over the next day or so... lead or loss is important but getting through without damage probably more so at this stage

3 hours ago, Steve said:

In flat water the newer boats can hit speeds up to 30 in 17kts of wind. Some are also doing 16-18kts upwind but at around 60°T which is their vmg angle if on the foil. Top speeds are very much held back by foil design. In a rough sea state there is very little speed advantage between the new boats and the gen 1 foilers or the retrofitted boats.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JL92S said:

In flat water the newer boats can hit speeds up to 30 in 17kts of wind.

Yeah?  But how long is the water flat when the wind gets up?

Not long.

I wish they had the Finisterre traffic separation system showing on the tracker - I can't tell if anyone is going to try to go inside it.  That would be a fairly risky strategy with this forecast.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, yl75 said:

You ?

3 or 4 hour updates would be very nice indeed

6 hours ago, stief said:

Link still not working here (“Sorry, something went wrong. We're working on getting this fixed as soon as we can.”

Sounds interesting, so working on workarounds. 

Does it work from there :

But it's in French, and no automatic subtitles like on YT.

Speaking on the live this morning Alex Thomson said "The next big thing will be crossing this front. There is this light patch off Finisterre so I would prefer to be further West, but I am not and then we will be sailing towards the front which will be interesting. Last night I saw 2.5m waves average when we will be looking at 4.5 to 5m waves so my hull fibre optics were getting close to their limits last night. So, I am not sure I am going to belt into this too fast, if I can I will try and get a bit further south and avoid the worst of that."

Already close to the limit? OTOH, better break it now than in the southern ocean...