bigrpowr

Vendee Globe 2020

Time to start a hook list?
Certainly time for all teams to think hard if they have the same or similar ones.

No news on Isabelle that I can see so far.

And the TS5 of Regis Guillemot "capsized" in the area :

https://voilesetvoiliers.ouest-france.fr/securite-en-mer/disparition-en-mer/le-catamaran-hallucine-de-regis-guillemot-chavire-au-large-de-vigo-un-mort-trois-rescapes-491bc45c-237e-11eb-97e1-64af5fb563fa

Capsized in quotes because from the article it is not clear what happened, they hit an OFNI, and they had to be evacuated with the aft part of the hulls full of water, the bows in the air (a sail drive ripped off maybe ?).

But the bad news is that the crew that was on watch went overboard and died, his body found later.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, yl75 said:

The J3 hook broke for Armel, and the sail fell on the deck, some damages but repairable.

He is going to moore next to la corouna for repair.

Hook... as in halyard lock...?   
bugger

Been plotting  one boats reported data to try and build a psuedo polar file and finding some very odd anomalies in reported positions.  Just sayin'. (I think that's what the kids say).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, yl75 said:

Yes, called hook in French, most of them are using Karver KFH ones I think :

https://www.karver-systems.com/en/?option=com_opencart&Itemid=263&route=product/category&path=421_14

Thanks.... I looked at these for my boat and believed them to be bullet proof but clearly not with 2 now having issues..... they are not cheap.... very curious to see what the fault is 

45 minutes ago, Sugarscoop said:

Broke the J3 Hook. 

Heading for a Coruna for repairs

He plans to find a place to drop the anchor and fix things by himself. So no outside assistance; he is not out of the race yet...

Each team I guess, taken during various attempts to break shit.  Fucking awesome though.

• Like 3

I was expecting the first boats past the front to take off, but less pressure and the speed that the close reaching boats get in 30 knots looks like a push. Great race so far. 

Corum charging up the leader board again. Impressive.

Amazing footage of Sam's boat. You can really see why adding volume in the bow is desirable from that sequence. 

Surely a failed lock wouldn't stop them from racing would it? Couldn"t they keep going for a few days with the sail furled till they get to the calm conditions?

Easy from the armchair of course!!

10 minutes ago, bushsailor said:

Surely a failed lock wouldn't stop them from racing would it? Couldn"t they keep going for a few days with the sail furled till they get to the calm conditions?

Depending on the sail and the furler used, there is a good chance they can be partially opened by the wind.  

That and going up the mast solo is something that sounds far more appealing while at anchor. Coruna is probably the best and only harbour that they can enter until the South of Portugal.

18 minutes ago, bushsailor said:

Obviously has to winch himself up the mast woudnt be a lot of fun on your own in a sea state.? 

• Like 1

Depending on what/how things have failed when the sail went down, I suspect there might be potential damage to the mast where the halyard exits. The lock is supposed to handle all loads so when it it not doing its job, until the sail is not under load anymore, the hole in the mast is what has to handle the halyard. Even is the later is left free, it can have consequences with an unfurled sail hanging on 30+ knots.

In the videos of the repairs made on Amedeo’s boat, it is clear that they added a carbon plate to the mast. Expecting some work that involve more than a trip up the mast?

1 minute ago, tallyho said:

he seems pretty calm

panic ain't gunna help but that is too much water inside the boat :(

He was doing a routine check of the boat and found water in the front compartment. A valve failed and he did a quick and dirty lashing (?) for now. Tacking in one hour, will do the repairs then. He is sponging (sic). 

• Like 12

According to  Kevin Escoffier himself via Twitter the valve was in the starboard foil well. Reduced sail to 3 reefs in order to pump out the boat.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Hitchhiker said:

Been plotting  one boats reported data to try and build a psuedo polar file and finding some very odd anomalies in reported positions.  Just sayin'. (I think that's what the kids say).

Nice work! Some data glitches perhaps? Can you see on the official tracker winding back the same anomalies? 

7 minutes ago, stuckinirons said:

According to  Kevin Escoffier himself via Twitter the valve was in the starboard foil well. Reduced sail to 3 reefs in order to pump out the boat.

A lot of water on the wrong side of the hull. I hope Mr. Fixit can live up to his nickname!

• Like 2

Regarding Escoffier: The way is dealing with it, is already super impressive.

For Beyou: problem with its main sail traveler and hitting something with one rudder.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, BozoC said:

Rudder damaged on Charal following encounter with a OFNI. 

C'mon, we are 2 days in and people are hitting shit all over the place. <sarcasm>No wonder the sea levels are rising if so much trash is inside</sarcasm>

• Like 1

Any word on l'Occitaine's problems at this stage? Still heading for the coast according to the tracker.

Just now, minca3 said:

C'mon, we are 2 days in and people are hitting shit all over the place. <sarcasm>No wonder the sea levels are rising if so much trash is inside</sarcasm>

It isn’t all gloom. A lot of things hit are marine wildlife. Oh wait... gloom. 

1 minute ago, Raptorsailor said:

PRB really has some rotten luck... I really hope he doesn’t retire...

One of the huge unknowns with PRB. She’s always been on the light side and being a grandfathered hull. Hard to know how she’s gonna hold. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Thanks.... I looked at these for my boat and believed them to be bullet proof but clearly not with 2 now having issues..... they are not cheap.... very curious to see what the fault is 

I think its already 3 boats: l'occitane, newrest, la mie caline

4 hours ago, Hitchhiker said:

Could it be that skippers taking the foot of the pedal in order to not break the boat could distort the results?

2 minutes ago, minca3 said:

I think its already 3 boats: l'occitane, newrest, la mie caline

Prob a result of sitting on the dock for three weeks. Textiles lines and anchors aren’t static and need tension - the boat and skippers need familiarity. 

so..

-L'Occitane heading for La Coruna to make repairs.

-PRB, taking water through a damaged valve, but hopes to fix en route

-Charal, Rudder damage. Hopes to repair when conditions allow

-Newrest has now rejoined

-La Mie Caline I cannot find details

3 minutes ago, Tunnel Rat said:

Is it just me or based on the 08:00UTC schedule is Apivia diverting to PRB's position?

EDIT - I hope not!

Hmmm... Hugo Boss also missing a position update. The time stamp is 30 min before everyone else’s. 

So +/- 13 boats have passed the front. Not boat-breaking conditions, but hooks gone off to lunch which is shitty anyway. Escoffier has passed the front too, so conditions are relativity better for doing repairs. +/- 20 boats are in the front if windity is accurate. The western boats have reaching angles, especially Ruyant who is the most SW of that group. Next schedule is interesting to see how many miles he can claw back on Sorel, the most southern boat. Average boat speed 4 hrs for Ruyant was double of that for Sorel, and a much better VMG.

Weather routing om 0930 positions for Ruyant and Sorel indicate that what I presumed above, could be a nice guestimate.

Input

• GFS 10 days
  • Positions 0930 CET
  • Routing towards a virtual waypoint at the equator, 20 West (ITCZ/pot au noir)
  • FNMOC WW3 waves
  • Imoca 60 polars from www.toxcct.free.fr which are more refined for more wind speeds than the ones I used before. No further tweaks yet for the newest generation and/or specific boats.

Output

• Ruyant would be first at the equator, marginally, with 5 hours. As no boat-specific polars have been used, this is a rough estimation and no bets are taken.
  • Ruyant to arrive in the vicinity of Theta at Friday morning, hours before Sorel.
  • Theta more or less stops moving NE in a couple of days and starts extinguishing west of Funchal on Sunday. Which is nice for the boats way back, but the race leaders have to go through Theta. Max. wind speeds up +/- 35 kts projected, max. wins gusts up to 40 kts.
  • Ilha de Santa Maria could give a nice reference point for the race leaders, as both are projected to come close atm. And their projected weather routes are converging there, and after that tacking due south.

weather routing 11-11-20 0930 CET v1.png

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, tallyho said:

so..

-L'Occitane heading for La Coruna to make repairs.

-PRB, taking water through a damaged valve, but hopes to fix en route

-Charal, Rudder damage. Hopes to repair when conditions allow

-Newrest has now rejoined

-La Mie Caline I cannot find details

reg. La Mie Caline: Arnaud Boissieres was up the mast, apparently had a great time there; last report was all is fixed and he's happily trucking along

• Like 2

1 minute ago, minca3 said:

reg. La Mie Caline: Arnaud Boissieres was up the mast, apparently had a great time there; last report was all is fixed and he's happily trucking along

His updates are absolutely refreshing - seems to just love being out there racing

• Like 2

And while the front is wreaking havoc with the fleet Thomas Ruyant is checking out. Looks like LinkedOut is currently the fastest boat ATM

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, minca3 said:

And while the front is wreaking havoc with the fleet Thomas Ruyant is checking out. Looks like LinkedOut is currently the fastest boat ATM

It's just the timing of the updates. 

Boss max speed in the last hour 25.3kt.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Buck Turgidson said:

Boss max speed in the last hour 25.3kt.

Can't wait to see the next sched and see what the foilers in the NW are doing!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tallyho said:

...another 2+ months of this? already affecting my days :-)

hard to feel sorry for you.  In eastern Australia we don't get updates during the day.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SCARECROW said:

hard to feel sorry for you.  In eastern Australia we don't get updates during the day.

As an Aussie living in Norway there are other tradeoffs... you get sun ;-)

8 minutes ago, SCARECROW said:

If you'd like to swap... locked down here with wintery weather but at least we have Vendee updates :P

1 minute ago, JonRowe said:

If you'd like to swap... locked down here with wintery weather but at least we have Vendee updates :P

we just came out of 112 days of not being able to travel more than 5km from our home, everything closed and no Vendee....

5 hours ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Can't remember that many problems with those lock systems in VOR last time around, but maybe on a crewed boat they didn't report them.

Have never sailed with them, but if you look at the video from @14berlin you have to wonder how the "unlocking" sequence handles shock load at the top of the mast as they pound into waves.

1 minute ago, TheDragon said:

Hammer time for Alex as Charal heads back. Doing a couple knots more than any of the other foilers.

FCK. Really sorry for Jeremie ...

I really hope Charal can be fixed and Beyou can continue racing.

Also, there was some speculation up thread as to whether Apivia was changing route to come to PRB's assistance.  Based on the latest tracker, it doesn't appear so.  Potentially "good" news for PRB?   

• Like 1

then there were only 3 (of my favorites) left....

Impressed with Alex performance; had the impression he was struggling a lot keeping up with the other fast boats in those light, upwind conditions. And there he is, next to Dalin

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Herman said:

A lot of water on the wrong side of the hull. I hope Mr. Fixit can live up to his nickname!

54 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

YIKES! Just hearing those bangs and watching her face makes me cringe.

https://www.facebook.com/IMOCAGlobeSeries/videos/954041911789729

same vid :

She is saying she is under 3 reefs and storm jib, and will not start her "mattossage"(moving things one side to the other) before tacking, feeling it's too dangerous at this time.

• Like 1

According to Vendée twitter feed Charal heading back to Les Sables for repairs. Seems he hit UFO.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WLIS Jibing said:

Also, there was some speculation up thread as to whether Apivia was changing route to come to PRB's assistance.  Based on the latest tracker, it doesn't appear so.  Potentially "good" news for PRB?   

I'm not too worried for PRB, the issue is a valve and through hull, not the hull as far as he knows, and Kevin is clearly the right guy to fix these kind of things, he is waiting to be on the right tack to do it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WLIS Jibing said:

What a soul crushing situation for Beyou; if you have a campaign like his there is also the question whether it makes sense to continue. Jeremie wasn't there for the adventure, clearly the goal was winning this. But if he loses a couple of hours or even a day - I don't think he has a chance if HB, Apivia or LinkedOut will finish without major problems

If anyone can fix problems on PRB it is Kevin. He is the man for this.

• Like 1

Ruyant halved his DTL to Sorel in the past hours from 51 nm @ 0930 CET to 24 nm. Sorel's VMG < 2 kts as he goes WNW - the front has not fully passed him yet. The westerners Ruyant, Simon and Burton in lighter winds now, as they are closest to the HP zone West of the Azores. This HP zones is extending the coming days ENE towards A Coruna at Thursday.

• Like 1

Clarisse is well placed for a non foiler, but it took a toll to get there according to her. She’s exhausted, and will get some rest before removing the reefs and sending the gennaker up. Also something broke on the bottom on the mast she will need to repair, related to halyards. 
https://www.vendeeglobe.org/fr/actualites/20179/clarisse-cremer-je-suis-un-peu-au-bout-du-rouleau?fbclid=IwAR36-lHSYgIDkkignwRehfK_JzPRB_xpIsvoZL6XRfEe0wmnPfeiLR1deQM

Charal is going back to les Sables to repair the rudder and restart!
https://www.vendeeglobe.org/fr/actualites/20184/charal-fait-demi-tour-vers-les-sables-d-olonne

• Like 3

Anyone know if Bureau Vallee has done his penalty yet?  It would kind of suck to have to take it now that they've punched through into good reaching conditions.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, minca3 said:

What a soul crushing situation for Beyou; if you have a campaign like his there is also the question whether it makes sense to continue. Jeremie wasn't there for the adventure, clearly the goal was winning this. But if he loses a couple of hours or even a day - I don't think he has a chance if HB, Apivia or LinkedOut will finish without major problems

Definitely soul crushing, it'll be a few days lost if he's going back to Les Sables, but there is also the sponsor to consider, fixing the boat and getting back into the race is a great story for the sponsor to get ROI on, and that could swing funding for another attempt... 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, minca3 said:

Indeed, although there has been the case of the 2008-9 edition, where Mich Dej went back to les Sables, restarted 40 hours after the start, on won the race (5 days ahead of Armel Le Cleach). But for Jeremie it will be much more than 40 hours if he can restart.

10 novembre : le passage d'un front froid sur le golfe de Gascogne génère des vents de 35 à 45 nœuds, rafales à 55 nœuds, et des creux de 7 m. À la suite de problèmes électriques et de fuite sur un ballast, le skipper de Foncia, Michel Desjoyeaux, fait demi-tour, direction les Sables-d'Olonne, dont il repartira quarante heures après le départ de la course initial4. Le même jour, peu après 18 h, Kito de Pavant et Yannick Bestaven démâtent, au large du golfe de Gascogne. Marc Thiercelin (DCNS) démâte également le 11 novembre vers 7 h 00 au nord-ouest du cap Finisterre.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vendée_Globe_2008-2009

1 minute ago, Corryvreckan said:

Anyone know if Bureau Vallee has done his penalty yet?  It would kind of suck to have to take it now that they've punched through into good reaching conditions.

I’ve read somewhere that his plan was to do it about now, once on the west side of the front.

4 minutes ago, DtM said:

If anyone can fix problems on PRB it is Kevin. He is the man for this.

Given that he is the only soul on the boat, definitely  :P

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, james_007_bond said:

I’ve read somewhere that his plan was to do it about now, once on the west side of the front.

Massive shame as he is going really well. Only got himself to blame though. Feel for him. 

8 minutes ago, james_007_bond said:

Clarisse is well placed for a non foiler, but it took a toll to get there according to her. She’s exhausted, and will get some rest before removing the reefs and sending the gennaker up. Also something broke on the bottom on the mast she will need to repair, related to halyards. 
https://www.vendeeglobe.org/fr/actualites/20179/clarisse-cremer-je-suis-un-peu-au-bout-du-rouleau?fbclid=IwAR36-lHSYgIDkkignwRehfK_JzPRB_xpIsvoZL6XRfEe0wmnPfeiLR1deQM

Thanks for sharing, a very frank situation report (provided the autotranslate didn't mess up)

This part always scares me. These guys put so much work into their boats and campaigns with dreams of winning. Sometimes I wonder how much of a factor is luck. The Ocean must be riddled with UFO's. Feel for Charal and Jeremie and the others too

23 minutes ago, yl75 said:

I'm not too worried for PRB, the issue is a valve and through hull, not the hull as far as he knows, and Kevin is clearly the right guy to fix these kind of things, he is waiting to be on the right tack to do it.

Maybe... sometimes the valve problems telegraph core problems. Fingers crossed. 

Gutted for Charal. Best prepped prudent benchmark - out of contention in under four days. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marty6 said:

Can't remember that many problems with those lock systems in VOR last time around, but maybe on a crewed boat they didn't report them.

Different brand and completely different mechanism. Southern bullet locks vs Karver hanging locks (needed for rotating masts).

HW

Ruyant had a bunch of issues in 48h: broke a halyard, he is rigging some headsails on other position on the mast; his mast head wind vane is not working anymore, he switched to the spare, but he is planning a trip up the mast at some point; And one of the hydraulic ram for the pilot stopped working, he replaced it.

• Like 1

Definitely seeing the effects of the quarantine and lock down IMO. Even for boats that has had good work ups, boats are living things and change when idle at the dock. 

• Like 2