bigrpowr

Vendee Globe 2020

http://www.courseaularge.com/vendee-globe-denis-van-weynbergh-renonce-reste-35-candidats.html

Another one out of the VG line up.  

Belgian skipper Denis Van Weynbergh. " The budget and financial constraints have been due to my impossible dream. In 2020, I will not be able to quench my quest for the impossible and participate in the Vendée Globe. The decision is hard, even rough, and will be difficult to digest, but the journey has been rich, sincere, deep and enriching. Sea common sense also means knowing how to give up sometimes or waiting for the right moment. Everything came together with a reliable boat, a motivated skipper, real interest from the press and real sympathy with the public. The economic world has decided otherwise"

The article says 35 left but that includes Clément Giraud, whose boat burned at the start of the TJV.

2 hours ago, jb5 said:

The article says 35 left but that includes Clément Giraud, whose boat burned at the start of the TJV.

I think he's out, as the boat is owned by the sponsor and the sponsor pulled it after the fire? Or am I mis-remembering which boat was pulled?

34 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

I think he's out, as the boat is owned by the sponsor and the sponsor pulled it after the fire? Or am I mis-remembering which boat was pulled?

His boat that he was using for the TJV is out along with his sponsor.  He is looking for new sponsors.  Not officially out but will require a VG rule exception as his registered boat would have to change if he does make the start.

With the number of entrants all building miles and putting together media campaigns - I doubt he's going to make it. 

5 minutes ago, jb5 said:

His boat that he was using for the TJV is out along with his sponsor.  He is looking for new sponsors.  Not officially out but will require a VG rule exception as his registered boat would have to change if he does make the start.

Ah, I ruled him out because of the VG rule... Given they are oversubscribed I think Miffy is right...

3 minutes ago, Miffy said:

With the number of entrants all building miles and putting together media campaigns - I doubt he's going to make it. 

I agree but only because of finding funding and a boat.  There will likely be one or two more drop outs as several entries are not yet fully funded.  The limit is 34.

20 hours ago, jb5 said:

I agree but only because of finding funding and a boat.  There will likely be one or two more drop outs as several entries are not yet fully funded.  The limit is 34.

http://www.courseaularge.com/vendee-globe-erik-nigon-prete-imoca-a-clement-giraud-the-transat.html

More on this subject.  Another short on funding entry, Erik Ligon, is allowing Clément Giraud to use his boat on the Transat to validate their VG qualifications (solo miles).  Erik will do the same on the NY-VG.  No word on a sponsor for Clément.  So, it's not over yet.

that's one cool race course!

1 hour ago, M26 said:

that's one cool race course!

Whats cooler than being cool.... Ice cold!

• Like 1