bigrpowr

Vendee Globe 2020

10 minutes ago, Geert said:

I made that same observation a few hours ago. HB has consistently been one of the slower boats since day 1 (according to the position reports). He's in the lead thanks to smart routing. The first 2 days upwind the explanation was that the boat is optimized for running, and now that it is finally running downwind it's still slow (again, according to the official data we receive). Of course the numbers on his Hub say otherwise. 

Is AT really holding back? That's not what you expect from him. 

It's as much about the sea state as the wind. He's quite close to the center of that depression. Can be quite messed up waves

2 minutes ago, jonas a said:

It's as much about the sea state as the wind. He's quite close to the center of that depression. Can be quite messed up waves

Yes, but the same goes for Linked Out and Le Cam and they're a lot faster. Now, if At can manage to be in the lead while saving the boat that's great of course. 

34 minutes ago, Geert said:

I made that same observation a few hours ago. HB has consistently been one of the slower boats since day 1 (according to the position reports). He's in the lead thanks to smart routing. The first 2 days upwind the explanation was that the boat is optimized for running, and now that it is finally running downwind it's still slow (again, according to the official data we receive). Of course the numbers on his Hub say otherwise. 

This is flat out wrong. He's in the lead thanks to smart routing AND covering the most distance (i.e. sailing the fastest).

From the HB Hub he has the highest average speed apart from Apivia and PRB. Hardly one of the slower boats since day 1. (can't see this on the VG website, but the stats pages isn't displaying properly)

image.thumb.png.582eda7efe6c9f534b8c4e37ef3bd5e4.png

And he has had (by a decent margin) the best 24hr run so far. (same data is on the VG website too)

image.thumb.png.59c24f70922997fb3755c4811ee65051.png

So where are people getting the idea that HB is consistently one of the slowest boats?

• Like 5

Just now, b3nharris said:

This is flat out wrong. He's in the lead thanks to smart routing AND covering the most distance (i.e. sailing the fastest).

From the HB Hub he has the highest average speed apart from Apivia and PRB. Hardly one of the slower boats since day 1.

And he has had (by a decent margin) the best 24hr run so far.

So where are people getting the idea that HB is consistently one of the slowest boats?

Exactly.  If I read one more time "Is something wrong with HB", while he is leading and pulling away, I'm going to punch my computer.  It just nonsense and noise.  Look at the numbers, look at the conditions, look at the standings.  I feel like people thought HB was a Ferrari racing against a bunch of Yugo's and the fact that he isn't at Cape Town yet is some indication of failure.  Stop!!!!

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, b3nharris said:

From the HB Hub he has the highest average speed apart from Apivia and PRB. Hardly one of the slower boats since day 1. (can't see this on the VG website, but the stats pages isn't displaying properly)

And he has had (by a decent margin) the best 24hr run so far. (same data is on the VG website too)

because HB rarely shows up on top of fastest boat speed averages over 30min, 4h, 24h

Ha. They bitch when he's behind and they bitch when he's in front. No doubt they'll still be bitching when he smashes his own 24hr record. 

• Like 12

My observations are with those who observe HB being slow.

To me it looks as if Alex is in the lead because he chose what turned out to be the best routing regardless of what other more conservative sailors may have considered it being too risky for this early stage of the race where historically so much damage has occurred. As a result Alex sailed fewer miles, albeit not very quickly, and it has paid off for him with a lead despite his boat seeming to be slow compared with lots of the others. Jean Le Cam must have taken 20 miles or more out of him in downwind conditions in just a few hours!
Proof of the pudding will come out soon enough.

• Like 1

Av speeds at 18:30 FR from the spreadsheet. Over 30mins, since last sked, and 24hrs.  Le Cam still on the charge. Sam picking up speed

image.png.57ccff35f560579d81fe80664b068598.png

8 minutes ago, minca3 said:

because HB rarely shows up on top of fastest boat speed averages over 30min, 4h, 24h

Has the fastest 24hr miles on the latest update by far.  Looks like he put 30+nm on the main competition.

3 minutes ago, minca3 said:

Don't think that's true. Not bothered enough to go back and check all the Excel files, but this is the current 24hr run. Besides, 

No interest in being an AT fanboy, but can people stop talking crap about stats they clearly haven't bothered to check.

image.thumb.png.e41178c473d8de1201ed1293a65534a2.png

1 minute ago, Roleur said:

Has the fastest 24hr miles on the latest update by far.  Looks like he put 30+nm on the main competition.

and look where he chose to go!

24hr distance is far, far more important than instantaneous speed, or 4 hour averages.  

Armel tripod from the new Occitane en Provence had hook problems with Jib 3.
He hoisted himself 15 meters in the mast for repairs.
https://www.armeltripon.com/11/armel-tripon-est-monte-au-mat-et-a-pu-mettre-en-place-un-systeme-qui-lui-permet-de-naviguer-normalement/

Translation from google translate:

Armel Tripon climbed into the open sea on the mast of L’Occitane en Provence, at an altitude of 15 meters (anchoring of J3), today Friday, November 13. He was thus able to put a sail back in place, which secures his rigging and prevents his mast from twisting backwards. Successful perilous operation: now she can again use her full mainsail and set up headsails that go to the masthead, in other words sail normally. He sent the spinnaker. "I just went for a high altitude tour and confirm that the man descends from the monkey! The sea was moving a lot, I was rocked in all directions for an hour: at 15 meters high I hung like a chimpanzee around a tree. So much so that I just came back down completely paralyzed, all the muscles loose. I didn't have too many sores I had put on knee pads, protections ... But I succeeded, I just returned all my mainsail and the large spinnaker. Even though the repair is not quite finished, I can sail normally again and that’s a victory. I am happy !" “The race continues! " Armel Tripon has never lost his morale despite the damage which deprived him of the battle at the head of the race, but we can feel him pumped up to the max with this successful repair. And too bad if he will not pick up right away at the front of the race, since they now have a gap weather system. “I expect to be maybe 1000 miles behind in the Doldrums, because the front boats will leave with the famous Theta depression, while I will maybe take 24 hours to get out of the zone. weak winds. But I knew it, it's the tough law of sport and when I think of Jérémie (Beyou, who turned around towards Les Sables-d´Olonne) I have no right to complain. The road is very long, there will be opportunities ... and the race continues, that's the main thing!

this the technical part of the hoist lock system:

Understand today's essential damage and repair To fully understand the operation, what was done and why - as well as what remains to be done ideally - here is the summary of the successive stages of this racing event. .
The damage: J3's hook gave way as the boats sailed towards a front off Portugal. This sail whose forestay plays a structural role in the rigging fell onto the deck. The Occitane en Provence could no longer navigate with sails at the masthead without risking dismasting! Armel turned around to preserve the boat then he considered finding an anchorage in Spain to attempt repairs. The same day, and after reflection, a solution for repairing at sea was chosen! Armel then resumed his course on the Vendée Globe route, out of caution, under reduced airfoil and therefore at relatively low speed so as not to risk dismasting in a gust, or an overspeed departure. Deprived of this "J3", the mast can go astern at any time ... Stressful! First mast climb successful! This is the very important milestone for today, Friday, November 13th. Armel Tripon managed to reestablish a sail which now holds the mast of the boat, preventing it from going astern (which was the function of the broken J3). Armel can sail normally again and return the sail to the masthead. And that's what he does immediately: high mainsail and large spinnaker to get out of an area of light winds (8 knots of wind in the area at the time of repair today).

And this is the part that he is talking about.
Photo-hook-169x300.jpg.147a0680fc811a349bfb991eafc9a439.jpg
Its broken down.

His speed in the latest position report is 4.3 knots so he's not out troubles yet.
And something like that for a boat that's brand new and costed around 3 mnl?
But in formula 1 car racing things break as well, with more disastrous consequences.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Roleur said:

24hr distance is far, far more important than instantaneous speed, or 4 hour averages.  

10 lots of 4 hours is more relevant than one lot of 24

2 minutes ago, Snowden said:

are these point to point speeds, average BSP or average SOG?

Not sure. I suspect all the calcs in the spreadsheets are changes in DTF, rather than log records. That said, I'm pretty sure the miles for the 24 hr trophy are from logs.Haven't had time to look more closely yet. 

5 minutes ago, b3nharris said:

Don't think that's true. Not bothered enough to go back and check all the Excel files, but this is the current 24hr run. Besides, 

No interest in being an AT fanboy, but can people stop talking crap about stats they clearly haven't bothered to check.

image.thumb.png.e41178c473d8de1201ed1293a65534a2.png

12 minutes ago, b3nharris said:

Don't think that's true. Not bothered enough to go back and check all the Excel files, but this is the current 24hr run.

It is true, hence the question why things don't add up. At this point my conclusion is that's AT is good at maintaining a (relatively) average but steady speed while others might peek more. Which probably has to do with the number of hours he (doesn't) sleeps a day. 

I think the confusion is that some of these tables are change in DTF which is a VMG measure (i.e. boat speed plus routing)

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

Spare a thought for the boats stuck in the high pressure far behind.

The good news is that most are on slow boats and won't have shaved food to a minimum.
Pip still moving along, slow but not stuck like Miranda.
Annoying for Armel but also a chance to go over the whole boat with a fine comb once again during daylight.

I expected DMG Mori Global One to be slowish, but not miss that train altogether. Hard to believe that boat is a Charal sister.

Speaking of Charal, Jeremie has about 146nm to go.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Geert said:

It is true, hence the question why things don't add up. At this point my conclusion is that's AT is good at maintaining a (relatively) average but steady speed while others might peek more. Which probably has to do with the number of hours he (doesn't) sleeps a day. 

When I first made this point I was pointing out that AT’s 4-hour speed ie how fast he has been going recently, has been low for two scheds. Probably the sea state, but lê cam is close and going faster at present. I am a little concerned and hope all is well. 

Obviously AT has been going fastest since the start. That is why he is winning. 

19 minutes ago, Chasm said:

The good news is that most are on slow boats and won't have shaved food to a minimum.
Pip still moving along, slow but not stuck like Miranda.
Annoying for Armel but also a chance to go over the whole boat with a fine comb once again during daylight.

Pip is doing very well considering she's likely in the oldest boat in the fleet. 

I really hope she finishes.

40 minutes ago, stief said:

Not sure. I suspect all the calcs in the spreadsheets are changes in DTF, rather than log records. That said, I'm pretty sure the miles for the 24 hr trophy are from logs.Haven't had time to look more closely yet. 

Think 24hrs are point to point, T+0 to T+24, not distance run

No reason Pip Hare won't finish.
So far she is picking a route and goes with it. Deliberate sailing instead of the hunting for options other tracks show. - Not that she really has another option with her hand crank keel. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Very good communication too. Makes thing really relatable to the general public.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Chasm said:

No reason Pip Hare won't finish.
So far she is picking a route and goes with it. Deliberate sailing instead of the hunting for options other tracks show. - Not that she really has another option with her hand crank keel. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Very good communication too. Makes thing really relatable to the general public.

They let upgrade the winch to electric so she can do it with a button now!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Geert said:

Now's a particularly good time to slow down.  He's in the lead, in a controlling possition early in the race , and in a tropical storm.  Haven't looked at the sea state, but if Apivia has found a part of the road with less awful waves, he is the one to worry about.  It would explain his hitch west.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, minca3 said:

Turns out that IT’S A SAILING COMPETITION. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Speaking of Charal, Jeremie has about 146nm to go.

How does his ETA align with daylight hours and tide tables?  Sure would be nice for him if he can ride a flood tide in shortly after dawn so that the team can get right on the assessment of repairs while he gets some time to reflect on the situation, talk to family, take care of himself, and make what must be a very difficult decision.

• Like 2

The leaders are in tropical depression Theta. Alex Thomson and Jean Le Cam, followed by Nicolas Troussel, took the most direct route. An increasingly significant split is growing between the top of the race which are flying downwind, and the rest of the fleet.

https://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/20258/hugo-boss-leads-and-papy-fait-de-la-resistance

4 minutes ago, roadrookie said:

AT looks to have found some speed this hour according to the Hub

Yep new race PB 30 knots 

This is 13h+ old, but it deserves to be posted in its entirety. (Thanks @LeoV)

Clarisse Cremer: 'I'm freaking out a bit....'

https://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/20236/clarisse-cremer-i-m-freaking-out-a-bit

"You will conjugate go around with me:

I go around
You go around
He / she goes around ...

Basically understand, I'm afraid, what am I saying is I'm freaking out a bit with the approach of this depression and I have been thinking for some time about the strategy to adopt. I have never had severe damage before, I have had my share of little dramas, yes, things that are annoying and energy consuming now (especially at the level of stress of this rookie) but I feel that every strong gust of wind threatens the health of my boat.

As I write it is the port hydrogenator which was torn from its support two hours ago – no biggie as I have a second one and plenty of diesel, but it is more stress and it came just at the end a of series of naps which had made me feel better. So overall I just want to look after my boat and my nerves so I try to slow down a bit and go west I am ready to spend a bit more time in the Atlantic as long as Theta leaves me alone.

When you have the competitive spirit like I do it is strange to make a course which is counterintuitive like I am, I am tempted to gybe west and writing this has even saved me a bit of westing. Anyway I can’t sleep any more. It's funny when you have the competitive spirit to make an edge, my hydrogenator is bugging my mind.

Seasoned router friends and meteorologists, you can read between lines of this message to be lenient on the analysis of my course. Top of my agenda now is "do not get f++ked "

A kiss and good night!

Clarisse Cremer / Banque Populaire X"

• Like 4

HUGO BOSS ALEX IS SLOWER THAN EXPECTED... WTF  :lol:

511473356_Sinttulo-1.jpg.d41d9d5eb95f8dc97b6ba298518557bb.jpg

HIS SECRET WEAPON... the PINK BOSS CROCS !

CrocHBpink.thumb.jpg.a3bb19c4cbd85cedfcc6f82e560fa358.jpg

• Like 4

It is well known that slow boats are typically leading. As the great Stuart Walker always pointed out "Having a slow boat makes you a tactical genius."

/irony

He for sure made a couple of good calls and is riding along nicely now. He definitely would not be where he is without boat speed. Whether he is similar to or better than some of the close competitors is still to be seen. We have a lot of miles ahead to figure that out. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, gelbrossi said:

You can find all the data from Boris´s boat on:

borisherrmannracing.com

And it is realtime. Look for "View complete dashboard".  You have to scroll down a bit!

Have fun!

Ulf

Thank you!.. so now we can watch the BOSS's Hub and Malizia's awesome Dashboard of Boris... GR8!

PD. By the way and with the permission of KingJean, Sam and Clarisse, the best communicators of the race by miles...

13 minutes ago, Rafael said:

Thank you!.. so now we can watch the BOSS's Hub and Malizia's awesome Dashboard of Boris... GR8!

PD. By the way and with the permission of KingJean, Sam and Clarisse, the best communicators of the race by miles...

Sam and the couple of others who are raising money via web clicks have really missed a trick by not offering some form of live dashboard.

You should look into the 24HR PERIODS...

Last schedules since yesterday, consistently more miles than the rest of frontrunners in unfavourable conditions and a fkg nasty tropical depression on the nose...

last one 362.3Nm

26 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

How does his ETA align with daylight hours and tide tables?  Sure would be nice for him if he can ride a flood tide in shortly after dawn so that the team can get right on the assessment of repairs while he gets some time to reflect on the situation, talk to family, take care of himself, and make what must be a very difficult decision.

High water tomorrow is at 15:54, so there shouldn't be too long a wait. Anyway, it's likely his support team will have gone back into isolation with each other as soon as there was a possibility he would be returning, so it should not be a problem for them to meet the boat to take it in, and JB can get off and go back to his accommodation if he wants to.

21 minutes ago, stief said:

The Charal Team were very tightlipped about their substitute arrangements, but Tip & Shaft speculated that Christopher Pratt was probably on standby to take over if JB couldn't start for any reason. So, if they can get the boat fixed quickly enough, it could potentially restart with the substitute skipper, which might make everyone happy-ish.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

Wow! Boris Herman's dashboard data is fantastic.

Yup!  I will lose way to much time analyzing this over the next few days.

15 minutes ago, kass said:

High water tomorrow is at 15:54, so there shouldn't be too long a wait. Anyway, it's likely his support team will have gone back into isolation with each other as soon as there was a possibility he would be returning, so it should not be a problem for them to meet the boat to take it in, and JB can get off and go back to his accommodation if he wants to.

And I neglected to say, sunset tomorrow is around 17:30.

25 minutes ago, SCARECROW said:

Sam and the couple of others who are raising money via web clicks have really missed a trick by not offering some form of live dashboard.

Sam has the one Tanguy had last Vendee, was not that popular then, but he was out early.
https://live.initiatives-coeur.fr/vendee-globe/2020/vue-3d

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tallyho said:

Prognosis on the Doldrums anyone?

Very small this year. No Brazil trips.

39 minutes ago, LeoV said:

And you can get a Lego figure; 5 Euro.

samlego-5f3ba52d3271d_450px.png

Seriously wanted this, but it was sold out or at least the link was deleted. Anyone have a good link?

1 hour ago, Rafael said:

HUGO BOSS ALEX IS SLOWER THAN EXPECTED... WTF  :lol:

511473356_Sinttulo-1.jpg.d41d9d5eb95f8dc97b6ba298518557bb.jpg

HIS SECRET WEAPON... the PINK BOSS CROCS !

CrocHBpink.thumb.jpg.a3bb19c4cbd85cedfcc6f82e560fa358.jpg

For the low low price of a million quid. 

Branding. 

Looks like LeCam managed to gain 10 nm on Alex latest sked. Well done.

oops. not 25 (two skeds ago)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Corryvreckan said:

He (JLC) seems to be hugging the higher wind speeds around Theta.

Great big bollocks on that man

• Like 2

Beats me how he's 1 knot faster (4 hour average) than a foiling boat that's reporting speeds above 30 knots. 

27 minutes ago, stief said:

Looks like LeCam managed to gain 10 nm on Alex latest sked.

I wonder how much is speed and how much is angle.

I think JLC is doing completely his own race. He knows that he can't match the top speed of the new boats in the trade winds, so he needs to have a different strategy

Looks like the wind maybe is a bit lighter further to the east, so Alex is probably trying to cover his main foiling rivals

• Like 1

1 minute ago, weightless said:

I wonder how much is speed and how much is angle.

VMG (since last sked)for LeCam and Alex. Looks like Alex is routing for a light patch a day ahead

image.png.71d51942353c998590487cefdecfc296.png

• Like 4

Perhaps Voldemort is happy with his speed, but wary of getting into a indefinitive lead that could leave him vulnerable of sailing into a hole and having others sail around him.....therefore, he's doing just enough to lead and cover others, and waiting until a clearer favourable weather picture presents itself for him to make a break on....thus far the Hogwarts Express hasn't shown the kind of advantage that she had in 2016. Rather, it appears that Voldemort  is fighting for every inch....which is basically what he said in yesterday afternoons update. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Geert said:

Beats me how he's 1 knot faster (4 hour average) than a foiling boat that's reporting speeds above 30 knots. 

He's also probably doing more than 30 kts from time to time and not mentioning it, as are lots of others.

2 minutes ago, staysail said:

He's also probably doing more than 30 kts from time to time and not mentioning it, as are lots of others

So the foilers probably have more of an advantage at lower wind speeds. Otherwise the VG website needs to update the boat info on Yes We Cam: "Although the boat can no longer claim a fight with the brand-new IMOCAs, it can nonetheless join the front runners of the peloton, when in the hands of the skipper that knows it so well" ;-) 

• Like 1

woah, Arkea lost ~70nm in the last 24h

Apivia going faster then LinkedOut/HB/PRB

Where do you recon will be more wind tomorrow (for the leading group)? West of the Azores?

1 minute ago, Geert said:

So the foilers probably have more of an advantage at lower wind speeds. Otherwise the VG website needs to update the boat info on Yes We Cam: "Although the boat can no longer claim a fight with the brand-new IMOCAs, it can nonetheless join the front runners of the peloton, when in the hands of the skipper that knows it so well" ;-) 

From "the hub":

"FACT: In years gone by, maximum boat speed would be recorded in high wind speeds. However, the new HUGO BOSS boat actually performs better in less than 25 knots of wind. With 17 knots of wind, the boat can reach speeds of 32 knots."

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

I have a suspicion that the lighter foiling boats don't or won't handle the heavy seas and really high winds as well as the heavier older boats.  Just look in the scrum behind the leaders, the older boats are holding their own in there.  I also think that the skippers on the foilers know that they can and will pull away from the pack and as long as they don't break the boat pushing too hard now (there is one well funded program headed home for repairs as I write).  In one of the updates today AT's Hub was showing 5+m seas, and I'm guessing in a TS they aren't just a following swell.  I think it's a matter of the condition neutralizing the foiling advantage to a degree thus far.  ... and JLC is doing a marvelous job.

What did I see above somewhere, "...first finish."

FWIW those are the thoughts of a guy who has never been anywhere near a racing boat making a totally amateur guess with the data available.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, XTR said:

I have a suspicion that the lighter foiling boats don't or won't handle the heavy seas and really high winds as well as the heavier older boats.  Just look in the scrum behind the leaders, the older boats are holding their own in there.  I also think that the skippers on the foilers know that they can and will pull away from the pack and as long as they don't break the boat pushing too hard now (there is one well funded program headed home for repairs as I write).  In one of the updates today AT's Hub was showing 5+m seas, and I'm guessing in a TS they aren't just a following swell.  I think it's a matter of the condition neutralizing the foiling advantage to a degree thus far.  ... and JLC is doing a marvelous job.

What did I see above somewhere, "...first finish."

FWIW those are the thoughts of a guy who has never been anywhere near a racing boat making a totally amateur guess with the data available.

same.

16 minutes ago, Geert said:

Definitely.  I am amazed at this groups inability to grasp the fact we haven't yet seen the conditions which the foilers were designed for and which they will spend the majority of the time sailing in.  

• Like 6
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Raptorsailor said:

For the low low price of a million quid. 

Branding. 

Yep, the low price of 16+ years of succesfull ROI sponsorship (the Iongest in IMOCA I believe)...

KeelWalks, MastWalks... FlyMastKites, sinking boats, dismastings, breaking foils... crashing into tropical islands, etc. :D

I'm sure that today, and independently if Alex finishes or not the race, there allready are a lot of buyers in queue waiting for the low low price toy...

642513102_Sinttulo-1.jpg.6139826788a5e85e1bd01ef33abdd8b8.jpg

New Max Instant Speed (!!), and finally some days ahead of blazing trade downwind conditions... and 60 more days of 3 Southern Ocean Trains...

Step OnBoard, fasten your seat bealts and have a wonderfull flight and show !

• Like 3

Seven more hours of darkness.

Some interesting numbers coming out of this last update.  Apivia sailing in TWS 20.4 @ TWA 138 @ BS 18.4.  Boss sailing in TWS 23 @ TWA 128 @ BS 14.7.  Guestimated Polars suggest that Apivia should be between 16.25 (18 TWS) and 19.25  (22  TWS), so seems to be pretty ,much on point there.  Boss should be at 19.18 (Polar of 130 TWA @ 23 TWS).  So seems to be off pace relative to polar.  Could be that Apivia made more westing to get into a more even sea state.

Next drag race is to where they want to cross the doldrums. That of course will be what each skipper judges to be the best point to enter the ITCZ.  My WP is likely not the best, but it is what I have chosen for now.  Routing between Apivia and Boss puts them very close with Boss having the edge.  But, long range (unreliable IMHO) routing to Cape Town, puts them at a dead heat!

Vendee20.JPG

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Geert said:

There is no foiling in that sea state imho

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

Seven more hours of darkness.

Some interesting numbers coming out of this last update.  Apivia sailing in TWS 20.4 @ TWA 138 @ BS 18.4.  Boss sailing in TWS 23 @ TWA 128 @ BS 14.7.  Guestimated Polars suggest that Apivia should be between 16.25 (18 TWS) and 19.25  (22  TWS), so seems to be pretty ,much on point there.  Boss should be at 19.18 (Polar of 130 TWA @ 23 TWS).  So seems to be off pace relative to polar.  Could be that Apivia mad more westing to get into a more even sea state.

Next drag race is to where they want to cross the doldrums. That of course will be what each skipper judges to be the best point to enter the ITCZ.  My WP is likely not the best, but it is what I have chosen for now.  Routing between Apivia and Boss puts them very close with Boss having the edge.  But, long range (unreliable IMHO) routing to Cape Town, puts them at a dead heat!

Vendee20.JPG

Yeah, I was looking at Apivia boat speed and the pressure lane exiting to the west. AT is reengauging his foiler group, rather than worrying about any short term VMG advantage Jean may get by heading south. I'm sure sea state has a lot to do with the relative boat speeds.

• Like 2

My utmost respect for Jean le Cam clawing back those +/- 30 nm miles on Thompson. Race on for post-Theta!

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, EarthBM said:

What's the 9 degree number in the bottom left of Sam Davies' MFD? Heel?

Sam Davies 11-13-20.jpg

Correct. 

38 minutes ago, Rafael said:

Yep, the low price of 16+ years of succesfull ROI sponsorship (the Iongest in IMOCA I believe)...

KeelWalks, MastWalks... FlyMastKites, sinking boats, dismastings, breaking foils... crashing into tropical islands, etc. :D

I'm sure that today, and independently if Alex finishes or not the race, there allready are a lot of buyers in queue waiting for the low low price toy...

New Max Instant Speed (!!), and finally some days ahead of blazing trade downwind conditions... and 60 more days of 3 Southern Ocean Trains...

I could watch this for days...

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, Rafael said:

Holy shit. That thing is tramping. Scary enough on deck. Imagine what it's like down in the bat cave!

14 minutes ago, EarthBM said:

What's the 9 degree number in the bottom left of Sam Davies' MFD? Heel?

Sam Davies 11-13-20.jpg

I would have expected her instrument to be in English, not French… I’m French but I always resets my instruments in english if I have a choice!

Anyway: “gîte” means heel, as you surmised.