bigrpowr

Vendee Globe 2020

9 hours ago, Rainbow Spirit said:

I am hoping the Alex can finally win this race, my worry is he seems to have a monkey on his back, re damage to his boat.

I am also worried about his oft used fliers where he takes off on a course well apart from the others, which doesn't always work. If he has confidence in his boat speed surely he won't need to do this this time around. Go Alex!

I have been wondering if the fliers are due to the fact that he just does not race against the other skippers, so he is thinking individually rather than tactically.

His mileage is pretty low in race mode coming into his, which removes some confidence for me. It doesn't matter how hard you train, it is never as hard as racing.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Potter said:

His mileage is pretty low in race mode coming into his, which removes some confidence for me. It doesn't matter how hard you train, it is never as hard as racing.

Yes an estimate on comparing total pre race miles, training and race between the top boats, particularly the other black one, puts more numbers onto AT's odds.

31 minutes ago, Potter said:

I have been wondering if the fliers are due to the fact that he just does not race against the other skippers, so he is thinking individually rather than tactically.

That's always been my take.   Absolute faith in his polars and routing.  The truth is in this very non-one design class (especially post the introduction of foils) I would have thought that there is a massive variation in the optimum angles of the different boats and you could be on a hiding to nowhere trying to sail someone else's angles.

• Like 3

Think back to when the 2016 "old" Hugo Boss participated in events like Middle Sea - you definitely see very specific boat characteristics and esp in the era of foiling boats - where design optimization will greatly affect boat performance at various wind angles and optimal ranges; I think routing will be more divergent than they've ever been.

It makes even more sense when the amount of information available for weather routing is better than ever - the classical reasons why you might hedge your commitment to another boat with relatively small performance differences is just not there anymore.

• Like 2

Article and video below about Corum repairs (Seb Josse talking about it) :

https://voilesetvoiliers.ouest-france.fr/course-au-large/vendee-globe/video-vendee-globe-repare-le-bateau-de-nicolas-troussel-corum-l-epargne-est-de-retour-sur-l-eau-bf5245fc-0726-11eb-8e2e-1943f5372f4b

He says a part in front has been repaired and the whole "maillage" (longitudinal and transversal carbon stringers I guess) has been reinforced up to the foils casings.

And also an Armel interview below (audio) didn't listen to whole of it yet :

https://www.ouest-france.fr/vendee-globe/podcast-vendee-globe-armel-le-cleac-h-j-aimerais-voir-jeremie-et-nicolas-sur-le-podium-7011135

But he is saying he will follow Jeremie and Nicolas Troussel (Corum), his friends, closely, and of course Clarisse on Banque pop.

He is saying his favorites for the podium are :

Jeremie

Charlie Dalin, great team, even if less experienced on the VG

And he thinks Nicolas could make a big surprise. (more of a heart based forecast)

About Alex, he is saying his boat looks really great, and Alex is highly experienced, but due to the TJV accident and associated repairs, he could lack some training (however he for sure still got more than Nicolas !)

Also saying his new Ultim should come out around January, with the RdR 2022 his first objective.

And  saying why not another VG (even not in the plans at all for the time being).

Armel will provide his analysis every Monday morning during the VG on Ouest France (with all the races within the race).

• Like 9

Charlie Dalin has completed a training session with Pascal Bidegorry and Francois Gabart... That should give him a percentage point or two around the course... 

• Like 1

I saw ATR on BBC and don't think I've ever seen Alex Thomson this lean - hope it is intended via fitness and not stress/health issues.

3 hours ago, Miffy said:

I saw ATR on BBC and don't think I've ever seen Alex Thomson this lean - hope it is intended via fitness and not stress/health issues.

I noticed this over the past few months - I assumed it was an effort to improve endurance, he's had stressful campaigns in the past but kept the pounds on!

On a slightly less sarcastic note - with the changes in sail plans (and perhaps some secrets that SSolo was hinting at) is AT less reliant on grunt for sail changes/manoeuvres so has chosen to lose some body mass...? 

A lot of the improvements the last two cycles seems to be getting the downwind sails transition to constantly reaching/upwind apparent wind and maybe the “smart” strategy is to carry multiple of the same working sails & leave the downwind spinnekars at home. 

• Like 1

On 10/14/2020 at 2:07 AM, Miffy said:

Think back to when the 2016 "old" Hugo Boss participated in events like Middle Sea - you definitely see very specific boat characteristics and esp in the era of foiling boats - where design optimization will greatly affect boat performance at various wind angles and optimal ranges; I think routing will be more divergent than they've ever been.

It makes even more sense when the amount of information available for weather routing is better than ever - the classical reasons why you might hedge your commitment to another boat with relatively small performance differences is just not there anymore.

On these lines, I've wondered if HB (and to a lesser extent Paprec), with the ability to retract his foils further, may be able to push harder, and take a shorter, more southerly route in the SO?

1 hour ago, ALL@SEA said:

On these lines, I've wondered if HB (and to a lesser extent Paprec), with the ability to retract his foils further, may be able to push harder, and take a shorter, more southerly route in the SO?

The retracted foils can also mess up with the jib (or foresail in general) sheets, apparently, not sure how this works

1 minute ago, yl75 said:

The retracted foils can also mess up with the jib (or foresail in general) sheets, apparently, not sure how this works

In the hard VMG conditions where he'd want mostly retracted foils I'd expect wider sheeting angles, and the outer end of the deck spreaders is well outside the withdrawn foils. The issue may come trying to get narrow sheeting angles with the zero in light conditions... or am I missing something?

boss-man-scaled.jpg

Look at those outriggers! The satellite antennas also got moved outboard on gimbals & looks like the cameras by the rig are bigger than ever.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

Up periscope, confirm distance to island with one sonar ping only pleash.

to save the skipper from entering an island , huh? Now it can save him from a whale as well. 

19 minutes ago, troll99 said:

to save the skipper from entering an island , huh? Now it can save him from a whale as well. 

Bad joke on my part, but the more visibility he can get inside the Boss the better.

38 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

Bad joke on my part, but the more visibility he can get inside the Boss the better.

it is more like sailing inside the whale :lol:

Anyone know the ais name or the mmsi for the new Hugo Boss?  Most of the boats are in Les Sables but I dont see HB.

10 hours ago, Miffy said:

boss-man-scaled.jpg

Look at those outriggers! The satellite antennas also got moved outboard on gimbals & looks like the cameras by the rig are bigger than ever.

What a weapon.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Miffy said:

boss-man-scaled.jpg

Picture is amazing and probably look better with windward foil out for the aesthetics but I don't understand why they keep it out in all recent pictures and videos (same in 1 month to go video).
Let's hope for good wind at the start of the vendee to get a nice view on all those boats flying away.

7 hours ago, Varan said:

20201015_185630.jpg.bec6d812578ac68dff6cafd354ed3932.jpg

Trim the sheet... which one?

I was thinking the same! What a busy bit of deck!

1 hour ago, Lakrass said:

Picture is amazing and probably look better with windward foil out for the aesthetics but I don't understand why they keep it out in all recent pictures and videos (same in 1 month to go video).
Let's hope for good wind at the start of the vendee to get a nice view on all those boats flying away.

These foils are not light, so it's more RM.

Too much string hanging around in the breeze, thats really not helping

• Like 1

19 hours ago, staysail said:

Anyone know the ais name or the mmsi for the new Hugo Boss?  Most of the boats are in Les Sables but I dont see HB.

RB3

So no news yet on the novelties announced on Instagram? 

2 hours ago, troll99 said:

it starts filling up

121741040_10159368612290961_224461433986

957 looks to have a significant size disadvantage.

• Like 5

Mini vs maxi :lol:

• Like 1

I'm not sure Alex can work as hard as some of the younger skippers to win this? I'd love to see him win off course but we have so many good boats this time around. No doubt Alex's boat will be fast but the sleep deprivation will be hard for him IMO in comparison to the younger guys. He takes risks too so they'll need to come of for him IMO. Good luck Alex

Armel just won the figaro solitaire for the 3rd time at age... 43? Thomson is barely older - Beyou about the same age. Tripon is 45. 

The IMHO offshore sailing - some ppl need to learn how to sail fast and pickup the other ancillary boat and project/life management skills before they can win.

I think Alex needed to learn how to not break his boat and slow down a bit - particularly in his case, age and slowly his mind down a bit might actually make him a better sailor. 

The design of the living space on HB looks more restful than the others, more protection, more forward and down = less motion, everything centralized so less moving around.  I think he's setup perfectly to optimize his physical output.

I guess just before heading to Les Sables d'Olonne, they made one last inspection of the hull and keel by a diver and they found out a tiny dent on  the trailing edge of the keel; impossible to repair under water, so you pull out of the water, with rig and all, fix it in bad weather conditions, but you cannot wait for better weather anymore, and get it back in the water and sail on to Les Sables d'Olonne.

Definitely last minute snag; but nothing structural or something that jeopardize the integrity of the boat. And now, performance is back to 100%, not just 99.99%....

16 hours ago, Miffy said:

Armel just won the figaro solitaire for the 3rd time at age... 43? Thomson is barely older - Beyou about the same age. Tripon is 45. 

The IMHO offshore sailing - some ppl need to learn how to sail fast and pickup the other ancillary boat and project/life management skills before they can win.

I think Alex needed to learn how to not break his boat and slow down a bit - particularly in his case, age and slowly his mind down a bit might actually make him a better sailor. 

2012 finished 3rd in an older gen boat, 2016 finished second due to a breakage that wasn’t from pushing too hard. I think he learned that a decade ago. 

• Like 2

Alex and Boris may be fined 10K € each for not having been there at the opening day of the village and on the "skippers picture" (and they both announced they didn't intended to be there on the skippers private forum, due to covid ) :

https://www.letelegramme.fr/voile/vendee-globe/10-000-euros-d-amende-pour-alex-thomson-et-boris-herrmann-20-10-2020-12642750.php

samedi-17-octobre-jour-d-ouverture-du-vi

Horrible optics if they really fine them - particularly when the French gov is pushing ppl to be responsible so another mandated measure won’t become an absolute certainty. 

A well spaced photo and probably OK, but making it mandatory is pushing it...I would think at this stage of the game some of the teams are starting to go into lockdown mode themselves.

So who wants to have a go at a Pick the Podium guesstimate?

Here is my kiss of death pick, HB, Charal, Apivia.

3 hours ago, Rainbow Spirit said:

So who wants to have a go at a Pick the Podium guesstimate?

Here is my kiss of death pick, HB, Charal, Apivia.

Can't settle on 3, but might settle on (the obvious) 4: Thomson, Dalin, Ruyant, Beyou

Because IMOCAs are so physical to drive, age might matter: so either Dalin or Ruyant

Because IMOCAs are complex and need time to fully exploit their performance and make them reliable: clear advantage to Beyou, don't know where Dalin, Ruyant and Thomson stand

Boat speed will probably decide the order (given that all 4 will finish): Apivia and LinkedOut seem to be very similar, Charal and HB are sister ships as well but have very different foil solutions; Charal is on version 3 of its foils. Using the TJV19 and Vendee Arctique as reference it seems Charal is a tick faster overall than Apivia/LinkedOut. HB was slow in the short upwind section at TJV19 but crazy fast in reaching conditions. So in total - either Charal or HB

All in all I'd say Beyou is the favorite for me but with a slim margin

• Like 2

Beyou or Thomson for the win, If Thomson doesn't win it'll be down the fleet or DNF, because I think if he is in 2nd or 3rd he will push like crazy or take flyers rather than settle. Linked out or Apivia look good but IMHO neither Ruyant or Dalin has finished a Vendee before which seems like a big deal.

L'occitaine, Papec Arkea, Corum.... New boats, but too new to make it round at race pace ?? I think covid cutting into their work up miles could hand more advantage to older boats with more miles, Mazilia, Initiaties, PRB ??

• Like 2

8 hours ago, samc99us said:

A well spaced photo and probably OK, but making it mandatory is pushing it...I would think at this stage of the game some of the teams are starting to go into lockdown mode themselves.

I agree that they should be more lenient this year. I am also quite impressed with some teams attitude in the village, it's nice to interact with fans but you might set your priorities this year (I find Beyou really close to fans in this short video).

There is a nice view of all boats here for the original or with English subtitles. Quite some variation in cockpits through the generations.

As for my top 3: HB, Charal, Apivia in that order.
Still believe that HB has the outright speed and experience to take it. Charal and Apivia have been so consistently up front that it is difficult not to include them. I think Linkedout requires more effort from Ruyant to go fast and he won't be able to sustain those speeds long enough. Doubt about reliability on L'occitane and Arkea. Don't think Initiative Coeur can fight for so long as the speed difference will probably create a gap with above mentioned at some point. Corum, too much of an unknown quantity. But of course tactics and race events could throw away all this logic pretty quickly.

• Like 2

My heart is with the ATR team.  I got to sail with some of them years ago, delivering their Volvo60 HB (formally Assa Abloy) from Monaco to Kiel.  I was a fan before then and even more so now.

BUT, nothing would give me more pleasure to see Davies take the win.  Her performances in the Defi, Vendee Arctique, and Transat show that she's very capable.  It would not surprise me at all to see her on the podium.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Miffy said:

Horrible optics if they really fine them - particularly when the French gov is pushing ppl to be responsible so another mandated measure won’t become an absolute certainty. 

Bad optics also if several of them test positive next week and the photo opp turns out to be where they got it.  Presumably they took all possible precautions, but still...  With everything they've done to prepare for this, so close to the start, I'd be twitching to start the self-isolation aboard and thereby eliminate all risk of infection.

2 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Bad optics also if several of them test positive next week and the photo opp turns out to be where they got it.  Presumably they took all possible precautions, but still...  With everything they've done to prepare for this, so close to the start, I'd be twitching to start the self-isolation aboard and thereby eliminate all risk of infection.

If I spent the last 4 years of my life gearing up for the Vendee Globe & I won't be allowed to start if I'm positive - the last thing I'd want is a bunch of French media who intermingle with fans and visitors talking to me.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, yl75 said:

Alex and Boris may be fined 10K € each for not having been there at the opening day of the village and on the "skippers picture" (and they both announced they didn't intended to be there on the skippers private forum, due to covid ) :

https://www.letelegramme.fr/voile/vendee-globe/10-000-euros-d-amende-pour-alex-thomson-et-boris-herrmann-20-10-2020-12642750.php

samedi-17-octobre-jour-d-ouverture-du-vi

Organizers should be fined 10k for taking and publishing this shitty of a photo. Look at the cluster in the back left, they can’t realistically use this anywhere. 

• Like 3

I think from a cost analysis, if the sponsors weighed a $10k fine against a DNS, or delayed start, they would gladly eat the $10k.

A fine would be a horrible idea.

52 minutes ago, yl75 said:

Corum cockpit visit :

Yikes that look so uncomfortable - really shows how much of an exercise in discipline it is to stay in there

1 hour ago, Miffy said:

If I spent the last 4 years of my life gearing up for the Vendee Globe & I won't be allowed to start if I'm positive - the last thing I'd want is a bunch of French media who intermingle with fans and visitors talking to me.

I can't remember...  Does this event allow boats with equipment issues to start late (even if it's days late), or do you have to be there when the gun goes off to participate?

And what's the protocol for a skipper who tests positive?  Are they really out, or can they quarantine, recover, prove they recovered, and then start?  (I realize at this point, if there is such a protocol, it would probably be too late to recover in time for the start...  hence my first question)

1 hour ago, yl75 said:

Corum cockpit visit :

Very interesting overview. Thanks yl75!

A few nuggets.

They took advantage of the original concept of having the cockpit fully integrated into the hull to make large cockpit, as wide as the hull, apparently. All lines are coming back, so everything can be done from inside, obvously.

The tables taped on the walls of the cockpit are all the cheat sheets for setting the boat, sail trim, foil position, keel canting, ballast, etc.

The jib sheets run all the way to the transom and back into the cockpit from the rear.

Since the cockpit is integrate, the height of the boat is above average and even a tall person can stand inside.

They decided to have TWO Nav areas; so you can sit at the nav station always to windward, and there is always a screen that is visible from your "standby position" inside the cockpit, so they did not have to install a "repeater" computer screen inside the cockpit proper. And also a redundancy advantage. And a pivoting central nav station was not possible due to the internal architecture of the boat. Some carbon tubes were in the way, and they need to be where they are...

The back of the electronic panel is completely accessible. They already have spare cables in place and capped, so if a connection issue is discovered, the replacement cable is already in place.

The engine, the batteries and desalinizator are all central right behind the keel canting system.

There is a "roof box" on deck, right below the boom where all antennas are located. So the antennas are protected, their wiring go directly through the deck and show up on the ceiling of the "living area". So shorter cables.

The foils have been designed to start to lift the boat as early as possible, but not to lift the boat as high as possible... The goal is high average speed, rather than high top speed. Also hoping to make them as versatile as possible so easier to manage in solo mode.

My personal in-experienced view... Knowing how hard and violent the ride is going to be, I do not understand the need for such a large and wide cockpit. If you start flying around, I am not sure a 4 m wide cockpit is a good idea... And I did not see a lot of holding points for the skipper. Good luck to him...

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I can't remember...  Does this event allow boats with equipment issues to start late (even if it's days late), or do you have to be there when the gun goes off to participate?

And what's the protocol for a skipper who tests positive?  Are they really out, or can they quarantine, recover, prove they recovered, and then start?  (I realize at this point, if there is such a protocol, it would probably be too late to recover in time for the start...  hence my first question)

My understanding is that some skippers have a replacement. If they test positive, and the replacement skipper does not, the replacement skipper will start the race. However, some skippers do NOT have a replacement...

In that case, my understanding is: game over...

49 minutes ago, Laurent said:

My understanding is that some skippers have a replacement. If they test positive, and the replacement skipper does not, the replacement skipper will start the race. However, some skippers do NOT have a replacement...

In that case, my understanding is: game over...

Wow.  Surprising they can't start late.  Transat Jacques Vabre allows starts up to 3 days late, I think.  Given how much is invested to do this event, I would have guessed they'd let you start as much as a week late.  I guess not.

You made me look for sure; and I stand corrected!

From the Official Web site: Annexe AC - Protocole Sanitaire COVID-19

6.4. En cas de contamination avant le départ
- D’un skipper : Le concurrent ne pourra pas prendre le départ, un départ différé pourra être envisagé sous conditions et réserves émises par le médecin de la course. L'ARS sera avertie dans les meilleurs délais afin de mettre en place une recherche de la chaine de contamination.
Le Skipper remplaçant pourra se substituer au Skipper sous condition qu'il ait suivi les mêmes procédures et qu'il ne présente aucune suspicion de contamination.
- D'un accompagnant proche du concurrent: Le concurrent ne pourra pas prendre le départ avant un délai de 7 jours, temps nécessaire pour effectuer les tests PCR et sérologique ainsi que tout test complémentaire.
L'accompagnant proche contaminé devra se soustraire immédiatement à tout contact avec d'autres personnes.

In case of contamination before the start:

- Of a skipper: the competitor will not be able to start the race; a potential delayed start will be considered, pending decision from the race doctor. The Health Regional Agency will be contacted as soon as possible to establish contact tracing.

The replacing skipper can be substituted to the Skipper, if he has followed the right procedures and is not suspected to be contaminated.

- of one of the close team member: the competitor will not be able to start the race for 7 days, required period to make PCR tests and all other complementary tests. The contaminated team member must immediately stay out of contact with any other team member.

I believe the close team member they are talking about in this section of the protocole is the reduced team that stay close to the skipper until the start, and have to isolate with him for the few days before the start.

So to sum it up: if you are the skipper and you get it; you cannot start, your replacing skipper can start right away if he is "clean", or you can wait the approval from the race doctor for you to start.

If someone from your close team gets contaminated, you stay behind for at least 7 days, to make sure that you did not get it and develop symptoms...

• Like 2

If I would the skipper I’d start sleeping on the boat a week ahead and having my stuff delivered to me at the dock. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SSolo said:

not a lot of social distancing on the pontoons...and you wonder why the skippers are staying away 

Especially if it is one of the teams with no backup skipper. Edit to add - it does look like many are at least wearing masks

Parlier and VDH discussing in front of HB :

By he way, these Raymarine of Flir Cameras are really big!, couldn't they be much smaller with today's tech ?

And about Alex and the skippers pic, he was on the pontoons 3 hours after apparently.

(anyway, don't think they will be fined)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yl75 said:

By he way, these Raymarine of Flir Cameras are really big!, couldn't they be much smaller with today's tech ?

You can make them about the size of a pencil eraser - but there's no getting around physics. If one wanted good optical performance, adjustable range, stabilization - there's not a lot of cost effective ways to miniaturize. Compared to what you see on tanks, IFV, surveillance aircraft or helicopters - those are pretty small.

24 minutes ago, Miffy said:

You can make them about the size of a pencil eraser - but there's no getting around physics. If one wanted good optical performance, adjustable range, stabilization - there's not a lot of cost effective ways to miniaturize. Compared to what you see on tanks, IFV, surveillance aircraft or helicopters - those are pretty small.

I still  think they could be at least half smaller without any loss of quality images (but maybe that wide angle vid make them look really big also)

41 minutes ago, Nauti Buoy said:

Raw Boss

That cockpit set up is obviously the way to go

7 minutes ago, yl75 said:

I still  think they could be at least half smaller without any loss of quality images (but maybe that wide angle vid make them look really big also)

iPhones are slim but when you put a waterproof and impact proof case on it they get much bigger. 

needs to take a beating and is probably why they are so big. 

Wow, that video of Alex onboard HB makes it look like he is playing a combination of a gym game and a virtual sailing game, while stuck in a claustrophobic box . Better him than me I say!

^ HB video: Some on deck prep but no actual take downs (the very end of one) or hoists of furled sails.

There was one scene where Alex looked to be trimming something on deck via a 'relay' coming out of the bunker.

I can see that helpful for take downs but how do you control the hoist of an 85' tall furled sail whilst grinding away deep in the bunker?

Screen grab from the AT video.  Boy!  There are a lot of data - from someone who spent many years sailing Etchells and my first boat also had no electrics.  Any idea what all the numbers on the instruments are? 

I am guessing 310 is heading, maybe either 125 and 88 or 88 and 46 are probably TWA and AWA. -3 could be % to target.  I would love 32.9 and 19 to be BS and TWS, but I doubt it somehow. Any more educated info?

Picture1.thumb.jpg.b580686461605d7ae4f3a29f3782eeeb.jpg

5 hours ago, yl75 said:

That cockpit set up is obviously the way to go

It's by far the best cockpit.  This is far more connected to actively sailing the boat than the last HB, a classically styled layout.  If it's climate controlled, it's the future.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tunnel Rat said:

Screen grab from the AT video.  Boy!  There are a lot of data - from someone who spent many years sailing Etchells and my first boat also had no electrics.  Any idea what all the numbers on the instruments are? 

I am guessing 310 is heading, maybe either 125 and 88 or 88 and 46 are probably TWA and AWA. -3 could be % to target.  I would love 32.9 and 19 to be BS and TWS, but I doubt it somehow. Any more educated info?

Picture1.thumb.jpg.b580686461605d7ae4f3a29f3782eeeb.jpg

For those who want a range of value before making any guesses

Right screen at 1:57

image.png.3ad3b2ae1d0adc6e859245606413dd7f.png

Right screen at 3:47 (look like the first 2 values in 3rd column are negative but values are similar on all shots and probably taken during same nav so I have doubt there actually are negative)

image.png.ceda85f68f156b0f84265237197895d9.png

At 6:13

image.png.4d4a883399bd3ec91338b7bd50f90d0d.png

At 7:44

image.png.c61e13bf1183061e413de5af99c9c598.png

Not going to take a bet at which number is which, but theses are the sorts of things I'd imagine are on there:

BSP, probably SOG as well, TWS, TWD, TWA, maybe AWS and AWS, HDG and/or COG, Polar Performance, Target angles, bearings to waypoints?, Heel, maybe pitch, keel angle, load cells from the boat (2 x forestay tension?), possibly load cells from the foils? and potentially foil angle sensors.

Given the dependency on autopilot and not necessarily having a tiller plugged in, there could be rudder angle, maybe a setting from the autopilot like gain? Maybe voltage as a quick reference to whats going on with his power levels?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nauti Buoy said:

Raw Boss

Anyone else notice his "resting / nav / comms position" appears to be through one of the watertight bulkheads forward? Talk about double use, the professor would be proud...

(Edit: later spotted theres a normal bunk as well)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Miffy said:

12 hours ago, yl75 said:

yl75

When you look at a flur camera and think what it does, it’s not that big.

It turns 360 degrees horizontal, the camera also moves about 90 - 100 degrees vertically. Add into that the motors to not only move the camera around and to also focus the camera and the inferred function. They are not just a still or video camera. 

They are an amazing unit and they are around 6” diameter and stand about 10” tall. They are worth every cent for what they do. 

If you want a smaller fixed camera then shore let’s just fit a GoPro’s , just remember that in order to do half the things the flur cameras can do you would need a shit load more of them and they would all need to be hard wired into the system (what a nightmare) the flur cameras are the best options I think.

Pulpit

• Like 1

My understanding says although you can make cameras ridiculously tiny with today's technology, using the same technology to build a larger camera should result in higher quality, lower noise in the sensor etc. It's one of the reason why full frame and DSLR's are still bigger than your phone, the physical size of the CCD matters (as we can't make electrons / photons any smaller).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nauti Buoy said:

Raw Boss

Had 2 associations with those cockpit images: a guy in his small spacecraft on the way to a new solar system or a guy trapped in a machine where he has to work for it.

But yeah, if this concept proves itself in this VG it will probably influence future ocean racer designs

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, minca3 said:

Had 2 associations with those cockpit images: a guy in his small spacecraft on the way to a new solar system or a guy trapped in a machine where he has to work for it.

But yeah, if this concept proves itself in this VG it will probably influence future ocean racer designs

I couldn't help but think of the clock scene in 'Metropolis'

Don't mean that in a disparaging way; just this is a whole other level of sailing foreign to most with its sense of detachment from the outside and every action is feeding an immutable number...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Nauti Buoy said:

Raw Boss

A few things come to mind. 

1, that would make me seasick! 

2. Did they really mean to put that footage out? Him fixing stuff... That isn't broken, and on the foredeck with no headsail up. Saying 'we are back in the game', but he wasn't in a race. I am assuming bits of this footage will be put out with various stories at some point during the VG.... 

@Tunnel Rat I have had a second hand report of HB doing 32 in 18TWS, from a photographer trying to keep up! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Liquid said:

^ HB video: Some on deck prep but no actual take downs (the very end of one) or hoists of furled sails.

There was one scene where Alex looked to be trimming something on deck via a 'relay' coming out of the bunker.

I can see that helpful for take downs but how do you control the hoist of an 85' tall furled sail whilst grinding away deep in the bunker?

The relay is the halyard of the cable he's taking down. Common on the IMOCAs now, having a masthead cable that goes up when there is no sail, in case of other cable failure, to save the rig.

For furled sails launching, the way it's been done before (not sure with these new enclosed cockpits) is the bag has ties inside for each "flake" of the furled sail. Bag to foredeck, tied on, plug in sail, undo first tie (head), hoist until up to next tie. Go to foredeck, undo next tie, rinse and repeat until sail is in the sky. Takes way longer but the sail is quite controlled on the way up. Reverse process for dropping.

HW

• Like 2

A couple of photos from a quick look round the pontoons yesterday. From the structural point of view and on the basis of "if it looks right it probably is.." then I really have my doubts about the foils on HB and on Arkea.
Also it was the first tine I have seen the foils on Corum, which look a bit more sensible to me. HB is very impressive to look at but the idea of sailing round the world in that thing, especially the very hot regions? not for the faint-hearted! 20201022_144822.thumb.jpg.d5263ad1f9f893173f9dbd82a8856365.jpg20201022_145255.thumb.jpg.42a51862b54c0a53b2af5045e95cf05e.jpg