bigrpowr

Vendee Globe 2020

5 minutes ago, Varan said:

Some call it being blonde.

Speaking of blondes, had to figure out why this vid had so many views

• Like 2

image.thumb.png.6663b4c8ed5c8f96a2e3d7f4f4af5166.png

The fat lady singing loud and clear... so sorry about Ruyant, amputated and with the three capes till on the bow... no good. Fuck, Dalin has defenitely the good luck aura of the goldenBoy and Macif... (remember the TJV and misfortune of Beyou in dollDrums...lucky bastard!)

DarkVader in the game again showing 20Knts max boat speed last hour w/ Arkea Paprec nearby (the two C foils together to catch the first Southern Train really interesting to see their speed battle in the next days)... will see the next hours if his repaired bow holds..

Sam Davies and Burton good early decision firsts to dive South clapping hands together and with good chances for reaching podium positions after Ruyant's misfortune... and our King Jean bathing in his repairing material chateau 2010 waiting for the clac clac clac war of attrition to continue in the new foilers... the South gruelling game just starting... expect the unexpected!! (so true)... What a race!!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Once Jerem is over the top of the hill at the equator ..it is then all downhill.

If Darwin doesn't get you, Newton will!

Either way ...

Nice one! :) 

• Like 2

Looks like good progress on Isabell's repairs

machine trans from here

"I was analyzing the weather routes I had run before and looking at what sauce I was going to be eaten for entering the South Seas. And before that, I was communicating with my shore team about the repairs made during the night. I took stock of the current topics.

For the moment I have done half the work, I have more or less rebuilt a balcony, the second part will consist of fixing this new balcony on the deck. It was the most "touchy" part so it's pretty positive. Safety is really very important. We are heading into a complicated area so we must not play with it. As much on a deckchair, it's not a drama, but here I'm going to go in conditions that can be difficult and that I'm going to undergo, I won't choose what I'll meet. It's really important for me to feel safe on my boat when I have to intervene on my transom.

This descent is quite complicated, I have had a lot of grain over the last two days, with wind rising, rotating, so it is no longer possible to make the planned route, with the question of whether or not to change sail. Tonight, conversely, I had no wind at all, only one or two knots, so I took the opportunity to advance on many technical points, to work on my solent, on the gennaker pulleys... I didn't waste my time and it was quite relaxing to move forward a little, slowly.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Grog said:

If Darwin doesn't get you, Newton will!

Either way ...

Nice one! :) 

Its the clipping back in on a fixie at pace thats the most impressive here.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, troll99 said:

i love this guy. Simple and humble. 

Simple humble friendly good haircut and German. It truly is a new age.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, minca3 said:

But does carbon fiber suffer from fatigue failures? 

Yes, but it is much less than most structural metals (like steel alloys or aluminum). Aluminum is about the worst of the common ones I know.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Varan said:

The December issue of my favorite rag arrived today, Seahorse magazine. Includes some good pieces by Guillaume Verdier. A dozen of his designs are competing in this Vendee, two new and 10 older. He is critical of the Imoca rule prohibiting rudder elevators. 

"It is like making someone build an aeroplane without a tail wing. Good luck. You cannot really fly. It makes for the most uncomfortable boats on the planet. The boat and skipper are assaulted on all sides."

He talks about the crazy ways skippers have to drive these boats "lying on their backs and looking behind".

But what thought was really cool... "I worry all the time they are at sea. If something bad happened to them I honestly  think I would give up working on these projects."

Totally agree. We are living a massive transition in a revolutionary engineering game (foiling) vs rules, a void hole that has to evolve further (foils and rules), we got the most challenging and gruelling event in sports, almost not human race 2 1/2 months alone unassisted around the planet in the worst conditions (Southern Oceans) with semi flying blazing speed beasts dumping constantly into the sea with massive decelerations and gforces involved... Boris Hermann talked about this and the need to a change in the rules after CORUM dismasting... We can see for example the big names (Gabart, LeCleach, etc.) leaving the IMOCA class after the work is done into the Ultim's trimaran class where the flying and sailing is much more stable and confortable, no more unhuman destroying beating and russian roulette suicidal game please!... :)

The foiling technology is pretty old, Boeing Pegassus Class Hydrofoils is a good example...

The rules must evolve and be adapted to the new times.

Found this interesting video analisis and thoughts (2 parts) from an engineering standpoint of Peak Torque a non sailor engineer from the cycling world...

The revolution in IMOCA class will continue evolving and it needs to, we will definitely see major changes for an inmediate future (VG 2024/28) for sure... fascinating times ahead

• Like 2

Watched the Sea Wolves episode with Sam Harris and he talked about some really interesting elements of the boats. One thing that I am struggling with was the comment that they need less sail area once they are foiling and that they reduce sail much sooner. I can understand this up wind since the extra boat speed will really increase the apparent wind meaning more lift offset by less sail. These boats are built for reaching and downwind work it seems, would this not mean more boat speed once foiling would mean less apparent wind? 

Am I thinking about this wrong? 

Dan 

1 minute ago, danstanford said:

Watched the Sea Wolves episode with Sam Harris and he talked about some really interesting elements of the boats. One thing that I am struggling with was the comment that they need less sail area once they are foiling and that they reduce sail much sooner. I can understand this up wind since the extra boat speed will really increase the apparent wind meaning more lift offset by less sail. These boats are built for reaching and downwind work it seems, would this not mean more boat speed once foiling would mean less apparent wind? 

Dan 

Yep...its the same principal sailing downwind as upwind, more boat speed = higher apparent wind and the apparent wind shifts forward to boot. Hence the trend toward code sails and gennakers and away from spinnakers on these and other fast boats. A good example is the A-Cat and DN Iceboats that don't hoist additional sail area when going downwind and typically exceed their upwind speeds by 50%.

3 minutes ago, danstanford said:

Dan 

Once you’ve reached sufficient speed to transfer boat weight onto the foils, the lower wetted surface area means less drag and you can maintain the same speed with less sail area. But still like in any boat, there’s an righting moment limitation and you can quickly become overpowered. So reduce sail and maintain good averages with healthy margins to be able to stay safe and basically you’re always sailing upwind once you’re foiling. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stief said:

... I would love to get on-board that rocketship... The boat's not bad looking either.

• Downvote 1

more cynical minds may say otherwise but I’ve never found AT to be coy while at sea - and he doesn’t come across as someone who is not sailing to the finish right now. I think the conspiracy theory posters might need to check themselves.  

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, climenuts said:

... I would love to get on-board that rocketship... The boat's not bad looking either.

You can't afford her boat budget.

• Like 2

"The Boss is back," but not the online Alex stats?

Been getting the following message for a few days now on the Hub. 

"Sensing data offline Sensing data is offline right now – we hope to have it back up soon."

Figured he'd disconnected while repairs were done, but he's wearing some control on his arm in the vid above.

32 minutes ago, climenuts said:

She is sailing a fine race especially for that boat and her level of experience. Seems really game, not at all shaky out there. I think she’s the future. 

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, danstanford said:

Dan 

lots of insights:

C-shape foils: more lift, less RM; downwind less RM is needed

other boats (with differently shaped foils) better for reaching/upwind

foils bend a lot to deal with waves/wave heights; in waves different foil shapes interact differently with the water

before they're not in the SO we won't know which is the best foil profile for the VG

massively changed sails compared to 2016 version; this VG the sail wardrobe is:

J2 (110m²), J3, J1.5 (132 m²) (fractional from bow), Code 0, C 6 (fractional downwind sail), C3 (bit like a furling gennaker), Mainsail

biggest change in the sail wardrobe: no spinnaker, new J1.5 (very wide range sail)

stacking changed massively, stack is put where it's best suited for the foiling condition

small trim changes can suddenly make the boat "leap out of the water"

before foiling condition: trim the foil with aggressive rake; once the boat starts foiling reduce the rake again otherwise the boat "points to the sky"

1 year just testing of how to best trim the boat (still ongoing)

rake of the foil changes with TWA and what head sails are used; keel and foil interact with each other in terms of total produced lift; while you change the rake of the foil, you also have to adjust the rake of the keel;
Interesting side fact: once you reach a certain boat speed with the keel fully canted, the keel produces negative RM

regarding foil/keel rake tuning: Boris is still learning during this VG

autopilot: you want to keep the boat at a constant heel, you can program the AP to do that; lot of fine settings; still a long learning curve with the AP

why we haven't seen 30+kn: the conditions should have been in the trade winds but so far not the right wind

during training run to the Fastnet rock they hit 37kn, the hydro gen was in the water and got ripped out.

electric power consumption: everything switched on -> 12A; they generate 16 - 20A (solar), hydro 12 - 24A; doldrums are a worry (no hydro); batteries good for 12h; AP consumes 2 - 3A

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, minca3 said:

Interesting side fact: once you reach a certain boat speed with the keel fully canted, the keel produces negative RM

Wouldn't that imply serious stability issues if a foil fails?  (ie, Ruyant).  Or can the keel be tuned back into positive RM mode if the foil is gone?

13 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Wouldn't that imply serious stability issues if a foil fails?  (ie, Ruyant).  Or can the keel be tuned back into positive RM mode if the foil is gone?

The VO65s had this problem also - without foils - last round the French-Chinese guys figured this out first and were very fast because they would reduce cant and get more RM..

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, minca3 said:

24 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Interesting - would that happen because the flow of water over the canted keel generates enough lift to counter the weight of the bulb?  If so, then my guess would be that if a foil failed, the added drag might slow the boat enough that it goes back to positive righting moment.  But this is pure speculation on my part.

This has to be the best VG ever in regard to the amount of information we are receiving direct from the boats. In the last VG we were in the dark so many times ie, HB and that broken foil. I'm really enjoying this race.

• Like 4

Sam (and Louis) are looking pretty clever right about now.  The ultimate Buffalo Girl move...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rainbow Spirit said:

This has to be the best VG ever in regard to the amount of information we are receiving direct from the boats. In the last VG we were in the dark so many times ie, HB and that broken foil. I'm really enjoying this race.

We haven't heard anything from some teams... Apivia for example

4 hours ago, stief said:

Thanks:perfect. --was just about to look for something explaining flutter and noise.

(Ever since Haji mentioned his 'singing' keel last time, been puzzled why flutter-noise doesn't get more attention. Lots of the skippers mention it, sense it, tune it, (instruments record it?), but seem to just accept it. )

3 hours ago, Haji said:

It's not an easy thing to fix.  

Not sure if it works on foils, but for keels and rudders it is usually an easy fix. Knew it from long before the internet, but as you know, Google is your friend, like here:

https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/how-to-kill-keel-harmonics.39618/

PS. The bevel on the TE works on my boat, but I have a different problem. My lifting keel is coming loudly at 15+ knots, from sucking at the box, it's a rather enjoyable sound though.

Fiji Out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Not sure if it works on foils, but for keels and rudders it is usually an easy fix. Knew it from long before the internet, but as you know, Google is your friend, like here:

PS. The bevel on the TE works on my boat, but I have a different problem. My lifting keel is coming loudly at 15+ knots, from sucking at the box, it's a rather enjoyable sound though.

Fiji Out.

Vortex shedding 

21 minutes ago, Roleur said:

Sam (and Louis) are looking pretty clever right about now.  The ultimate Buffalo Girl move...

And what’s nuts... Alex Thomson might come out of this in better position if his boat actually holds together 

• Like 1

Latest update is showing Hugo Boss as having covered the best distance in the last 30 minutes and since the previous report (out of the top 10). If he could keep with Sam and keep ArkeaPaprec behind he enter the Southern Ocean in not too bad of a position considering he's spent 90% of his time down in the bunker....

image.thumb.png.b4b9d768d1c4683cb37e014479f84602.png

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Fiji Out.

[aside] thanks--I was still of the old-school squared off edge. Didn't know about the chisel edge idea. Had been focused mainly on the shaft in the tube tolerances. And wondered when you'd get lured back from the dark side of those other threads. Cheers.

1 hour ago, minca3 said:

lots of insights:

Indeed. Best hour spent yet. Bookmarked. And thanks for the summary.

So, Herrmann, Alex (and probably some others) did indeed get the auto AP-OSCAR  software installed before the race.  Too bad the SIs don't allow Sam remote updates for her onboard systems, 

57 minutes ago, Corryvreckan said:

Interesting - would that happen because the flow of water over the canted keel generates enough lift to counter the weight of the bulb?  If so, then my guess would be that if a foil failed, the added drag might slow the boat enough that it goes back to positive righting moment.  But this is pure speculation on my part.

no. the reason is that the pivot axis for the canting keel is not horizontal, but is tilted slightly upwards at the front. The result is, the more you cant the keel the higher the angle of attack of the keel fin relative to its motion through water.
The keel fin has a symmetric cross section, so when not canted it doesn't produce any lift. But when the angle of attack changes due to canting the fin starts creating lift. And at some boat speed this lift exceeds the gravitational force of the lead bulb.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

yes. go slower or reduce the rake of the keel

13 minutes ago, stief said:

[aside] thanks--I was still of the old-school squared off edge. Didn't know about the chisel edge idea. Had been focused mainly on the shaft in the tube tolerances. And wondered when you'd get lured back from the dark side of those other threads. Cheers.

Learned about the beveled trailing edge when I happened to be parked in a boat yard next to Bill Buchan in the late 70's  He was fresh off getting a gold star and he came over and watched me work fairing my keel and then quietly made that suggestion. Then bought a boat that had been prepped by Jonathan McKee.  Looked at the trailing edge:  Bingo -bevel.  The foils on that boat were something else.  

It's good to have smart people arouund.  

And for round rigging or other cylinders?  just a skinny strip of tape on the aft edge can stop the alternating vortex shedding.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

It's good to have smart people around.

True that. Another of those reasons to follow Ocean races here. 

3 minutes ago, stief said:

Glad he seems OK. Tough to watch

It's a scratch. Put a piece of tape on it and call it good. 

• Like 2

Kind of dumb to keep the knife that just cut you on your leg for a video so you can possibly do it again. Some ppl don’t learn I guess. 

• Like 1

Yes the boats who headed South or SW have gotten some breeze and they have another route onto the Southerly Highway with Alex fastest boat in fleet last sked. Jack Sparrow did say he was surprised more boats didn't take this option. Samantha, Louis, Alex and Sebastien are all in a good position to get onto the Highway now. PRB and Maitre Coq have headed SW but according to the wind overlay have a hole to get through. Meanwhile Apivia and Linked Out are still trying to punch through and there are windless holes everywhere. It's a chance for the SW boats including Alex to catch up I think? A more detailed weather analysis might help but exciting times for the catch up boats. Even Jean Le Cam is trying to join the party.

7 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Davies and Burton heading for podium positions....

Not unless Dalin and Ruyant suffer (more) structural damage imho.

• Like 2

Certainly looks like Alex is trying hard to catch up. Quite a bit faster than the boats around him.
I hope that there is some plate to spread out the load between hull/deck the added lengths of angle carbon (? - not quite angle iron :D ) we saw in the last repair video. Otherwise that much added point load looks more like a hole punch to me.

7 hours ago, stief said:

Thought it might be "resonance", like the infamous Tacoma bridge fail, but then read this

That’s long ago I saw that B/W-footage in Science class, must have been 1984 or so. How time flies.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stief said:

Have to wait a few days to see if Tip&Shaft leverage this VG article 

on inspecting the boat with his headtorch he immediately noticed major cracks in the "shaft" of his port foil *.

[snip]

* The foil is made up of two parts, a "shaft" and a "tip". It is the tip that allows the sailboat to come out of the water thanks to the lift force it exerts. The shaft is the part the foil which connects the tip to the hull.

People explainimg a shaft and the connecting tip, seriously? To quote Greta Thunberg, sailed by Herrmann across the Atlantic, “how dare you!” :lol:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stief said:

We are the target?

So Will Harris  figures the leader(s) can get on the same train (maybe only 30-60nm apart, and we'll know in 24 hrs. 

[aside to Herman: too funny. will catch up on reactions when allowed. Still haven't had time this busy day to study your routings]

18 minutes ago, Chasm said:

Certainly looks like Alex is trying hard to catch up. Quite a bit faster than the boats around him.
I hope that there is some plate to spread out the load between hull/deck the added lengths of angle carbon (? - not quite angle iron :D ) we saw in the last repair video. Otherwise that much added point load looks more like a hole punch to me.

Do you suppose his team have done a full FEA on the repaired structure and prounounced it safe for a high speed Southern Ocean trip in the world's most remote region?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

think? A more detailed weather analysis might help

See my post of this morning with the weather analysis?

10 minutes ago, stief said:

[aside to Herman: too funny. will catch up on reactions when allowed. Still haven't had time this busy day to study your routings

NP. 

1 hour ago, terrafirma said:

Yes the boats who headed South or SW have gotten some breeze and they have another route onto the Southerly Highway with Alex fastest boat in fleet last sked. Jack Sparrow did say he was surprised more boats didn't take this option. Samantha, Louis, Alex and Sebastien are all in a good position to get onto the Highway now. PRB and Maitre Coq have headed SW but according to the wind overlay have a hole to get through. Meanwhile Apivia and Linked Out are still trying to punch through and there are windless holes everywhere. It's a chance for the SW boats including Alex to catch up I think? A more detailed weather analysis might help but exciting times for the catch up boats. Even Jean Le Cam is trying to join the party.

For PRB and Maitre Coq, not necessarily. That high pressure in front of them is moving fast to the East, they may end up on the west side of that high, once they get there, and therefore "couper le fromage" (cut the cheese) compared to Sam, Louis and Alex.

We will know in one or 2 days...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Herman said:

That’s long ago I saw that B/W-footage in Science class, must have been 1984 or so. How time flies.

Here's a colorized version for you (but turn the volume off)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Dad was a civil engineer.  On a family vacation out west, we had to make a side-trip pilgrimage to see the (new, rebuilt) Tacoma Narrows bridge.  I don't know whether that  was so he could tell us kids about it, or so that he could say he'd been there himself.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, stief said:

It's clear the genre and procreation preferences of the main audience of the race...:)

Talking about numbers... I've noted a quite interesting detail... The staggering differences in between the official VG race and Alex's following interest... here they are...YTBAudiencesVG.thumb.jpg.27868cb01f45a8219323eeb237c4312d.jpgYTBAudiencesAT.thumb.jpg.0995ff07481c38ff5ab5bb96525be766.jpg

It just confirms me one thing... he is the fckg IMOCA class BOSS, surpassing the interests of the audiences of the race... by many thousands!

Quite unique evidence... The hole class and race are boosted by his presence. GO ALEX GO and WIN this RACE for god's sake!!

• Like 5

We won't see all the numbers for a while yet. Fr TV viewers aren't mostly looking at YT.

Can't recall quickly, but did see something Tip&Shaft (English) that said 1 of 2 in Fr are following the race. 

Had hoped to see more about Didac, since I enjoy following the Spanish in the VOR and Barcelona.

And no idea how the Italians follow.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, stief said:

We won't see all the numbers for a while yet. Fr TV viewers aren't mostly looking at YT.

Can't recall quickly, but did see something that said 1 of 2 in Fr are following the race. 

YouTube isn’t really that dominant in France. A lot of ppl reject Google and use daily motion instead or go to websites or even Facebook with video. 

If we looked at AP or Corum or Charal - you’d hardly know they were sponsoring new boats. 

18 minutes ago, stief said:

Can't recall quickly, but did see something that said 1 of 2 in Fr are following the race. 

Are you sure about that ? ... Alltough they logically prefer a french based platform (dailymotion) or their national home TV channels, I bet there are a lot of frenchies watching and studying his youTube clips... as I said the differences are evident and quite staggering... PD. I could be wrong of course... just food for thought ;)

But hey that's some nice material to show the sponsors for sure. 

Be interesting to see how Clarisse scores on the media front when all is done. Maybe she will be the new face of BOSS.

22 minutes ago, Rafael said:

Are you sure about that ?

Not at all.  Sorry for the delayed reply. I'd edited the post above to add the Tip&Shaft link, then was away from the keyboard.

22 minutes ago, Essex said:

But hey that's some nice material to show the sponsors for sure. 

Be interesting to see how Clarisse scores on the media front when all is done. Maybe she will be the new face of BOSS.

No way - Cremer is BP’s project. Hugo Boss is really less involved than the strength of Alex Thomson Racing, the moment ATR hangs it up - Hugo Boss is gone. 

Ppl don’t give AT enough credit until they’re like Pip Hare or Phil Sharpe trying to get an imoca program started and can barely get enough dough scraped together from the UK. 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, stief said:
9 hours ago, Varan said:

Some call it being blonde.

You lot really are slow learners.

Not only do French women 'look' smokin, both in bed and the bath....they 'are' smokin, both in bed and the bath.

Might christen my next boat the; Sweet French Cliché.

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

You lot really are slow learners.

Not only do French women 'look' smokin, both in bed and the bath....they 'are' smokin, both in bed and the bath.

Might christen my next boat the; Sweet French Cliché.

:D My angloSaxon mixed w/spanish blood friend tells me that she likes the name of your new boat... Alltough she doesn't smoke, she is very healthy and passionate, working hard every day... and she is very happy to sense online Alex in his Hub again, watching his repaired and sturdy bow up as well... :D

Go my MelonHead go!... she screams happily while she trains... count with me... one, two, three, four... (repeat) HappyMelonsWorkout.gif.e1a8155e4c7295124fe0c1c1e7fce957.gif

8 hours ago, Rainbow Spirit said:

In the last VG we were in the dark so many times ie, HB and that broken foil. I'm really enjoying this race.

We were not in the dark at all the foil was broken off. We were told how much and even got some pics...... there was no conciparcy ... the foil was broken .. end of. No more story to tell.

Looks some compression of the fleet over the coming week and then a fair chance they will stay together. My amateur attempts with the routing software shown very little delta, less than  a day, over the first two and chasing pack at Kerguelan 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stief said:

Glad he seems OK. Tough to watch

Man... he's got just one hand... but some extra huge titanium balls... whoa... routing for him also, hope he comes back to les Sables and make some well earned history in the race, GO Mr Seguin go..., courage

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, littlechay said:
8 hours ago, Rainbow Spirit said:

In the last VG we were in the dark so many times ie, HB and that broken foil. I'm really enjoying this race.

We were not in the dark at all the foil was broken off. We were told how much and even got some pics......

Chay think first very general description and many moons later the stump pic??

Then and now chalk and cheese.

5 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Chay think first very general description and many moons later the stump pic??

Then and now chalk and cheese.

Yea there wasn't a continous stream of video.. but what was there to say really? "I've broken the foil off, just a stump left." There really wasn't much to say or much to add except carry on.  IMO.. Much better deals on the bandwidth now, even since the last edition too :) 

15 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

^^^^^^ She could keep the Titanic afloat.

Does she ever wish they were brains???

:D She has a bachelor's degree in gravity and quantum physics :D

• Like 1

DarkVader and his twitter force playfull mindgames with the young Apivia padawan... :D

As I recall in the last VG when AT broke his foil there was an announcement that the foil was broken and that was all we got for many days. There was a stream of posts on SA as to whether he could fix it, or could it be replaced it with a (non existing) spare that some people thought he might have had on board.

Fast forward to this VG and we have a stream of videos from a lot of the boats on their repairs, sail changes etc, etc. This VG has been so much better to watch, now that we have almost constant video from most of the competitors (sans Apivia though). The Hub that is onboard HB is amazing considering where they are, long may it continue. 

The sport of ocean race sailing has taken a huge leap forward with this new technology.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, littlechay said:

There really wasn't much to say or much to add except carry on into the Southern Ocean. 

OK :ph34r:

39 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

OK :ph34r:

They would have said that ! Not me B)

14 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

You have an eagle eye. :lol:

HaHa... I am enjoying this edition though and enjoying the media as much as anybody else. Even the openness on where cream must be rubbed on hot burnt bits... It's all very enjoyable from the desk, although the missus and my son are not impressed at the amount of time I am spending looking at squiggly lines on the screen! Makes me want to get back out there. It's been a couple of years since I did an ocean passage. 

• Like 1

there will be some interesting thoughts and a bit of hope in a lot of heads at present..

Alex is back in the fleet and many will question the strength of his repairs and potentially right him off (excuse the pun)
Thomas has a broken wing and is unlikely to be far enough ahead to hold the pack off
Charlie is looking sweet right now but is only one day ahead (likely to shrink a bit over the next 48 hours) and many will be wondering if the problem with LinkedOut's foil is a design issue.
No-one really expects Arkea Paprec to make it around in one piece.
The other favorites might as well be in another race... 

How many "low budget" boats will we see in the top 3 in 19000nm time?

3 hours ago, littlechay said:

but what was there to say really? "

Oh there was plenty to say on here about the elusive inflatable foil, the spare foil, the reversible foil.

None of it actually based in reality but plenty to say! :-)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

AT has built a very slick and successful business/promotional model around himself.

Indeed he has. And you know what, he's damn fast too.

...Bloody unlucky though.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, troll99 said:

the weather after 24h and 48h. All boats in the map are on Express next 48 hr. 

image.thumb.png.1e3ebf2d46729099f268900a191ca1e8.png

image.thumb.png.2c7f72793332b48acd9f2682440ac27b.png

Am I the only one to think JLC might be trying one shortcut too many, doesn't look so bright for him right now or he's seeing something we don't.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, littlechay said:

although the missus and my son are not impressed at the amount of time I am spending looking at squiggly lines on the screen! 

Ha! You are not the only one :rolleyes: - my wife and daughters feel exactly the same here

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lakrass said:

Am I the only one to think JLC might be trying one shortcut too many, doesn't look so bright for him right now or he's seeing something we don't.

It was just a tack. He is still heading ESE ish

34 minutes ago, KingMonkey said:

Oh there was plenty to say on here about the elusive inflatable foil, the spare foil, the reversible foil.

None of it actually based in reality but plenty to say! :-)

I remember we had a vote on the color of the inflatable foil - pink or red. That vote was rigged! :lol:

45 minutes ago, SCARECROW said:

there will be some interesting thoughts and a bit of hope in a lot of heads at present..

Charlie is looking sweet right now but is only one day ahead (likely to shrink a bit over the next 48 hours) and many will be wondering if the problem with LinkedOut's foil is a design issue.
How many "low budget" boats will we see in the top 3 in 19000nm time?

Nice recap, on Dalin, he will have an advantage due to his position relative to Ice limit. But another day of slow speeds ahead.

And I throw in JLC for keeping it interesting, taking the East route.

46 minutes ago, Lakrass said:

"...doesn't look so bright for him right now.."

Yeh of little le Cam faith. :D

JLC has the best VMG in the fleet. Same or better BS than Charles or Thomas so they are at least not getting away but when they do, they will.

Foiling Kevin and Boris bugged out south as they couldn't keep up with him in the lighter twitchy stuff around 30 hours ago.

Louis and Sam the two smokies and while they have a lot of longitude to chase, will chew it up as pressure builds.

Providing JLC doesn't stall my guess is these three might be waving to each other sometime over the weekend. 

Around 30 hours ago.

IMG_20201126_200813.jpg

Now

IMG_20201126_200623.jpg

• Like 1

Could all this time stopped actually be good for HB?

If the SW route works out, that group could catch the leaders, be in front or atleast be in the same weather system.

If HB had stayed with the leaders, he might of struggled with the light patch