bigrpowr

Vendee Globe 2020

Ah yes when carbon structure that is intended to be loaded up with 10-15 tons in the southern ocean starts fracturing - just climb over and brush some epoxy and tape it together. That’ll work. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Rafael said:

Would be awesome some more of this... keep 'em coming please... :rolleyes:

Would love to. Unfortunately marinetraffic is staring to be annoying and showing me weird positions.

2020-11-27_17-18-10.png.0394bd20c61687347924795544044d59.png

These is the only data I can get for now.

CAM---------->LAT:  -36.5433 LON:  -14.0189, SPEED: 15.2, HEADING:  99, ELAPSED: 2020-11-27 17:17:00
LINKED------->LAT:  -39.6234 LON:  -14.8722, SPEED: 15.6, HEADING: 172, ELAPSED: 2020-11-27 17:19:00
APIVIA------->LAT:  -42.3122 LON:     -8.75, SPEED: 20.3, HEADING: 158, ELAPSED: 2020-11-27 17:19:00

Wonder if Le cam will pass close enough to Tristan to get it on video, btw.

Edited by nasil2nd
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, nasil2nd said:

Would love to. Unfortunately marinetraffic is staring to be annoying and showing me weird positions.

2020-11-27_17-18-10.png.0394bd20c61687347924795544044d59.png

CAM---------->LAT:  -36.5433 LON:  -14.0189, SPEED: 15.2, HEADING:  99, ELAPSED: 2020-11-27 17:17:00
LINKED------->LAT:  -39.6234 LON:  -14.8722, SPEED: 15.6, HEADING: 172, ELAPSED: 2020-11-27 17:19:00
APIVIA------->LAT:  -42.3122 LON:     -8.75, SPEED: 20.3, HEADING: 158, ELAPSED: 2020-11-27 17:19:00

JLCwine1.thumb.jpg.83356660ce46526ebcef94c10a2217ae.jpg

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Guess who is going at 7 knots in 17 knots of breeze.!  Humm makes you wonder...

Already reported up thread that HB slowed to add additional reinforcements to his repair prior to entering the LP system.

22 hours ago, LeoV said:

He assumes monolithic, but nice to see someone putting in the effort.

Would have thought some form of thin core would be in there to prevent buckling...........????

22 hours ago, European Bloke said:

It was a lot of work, but I'm not sure it adds anything. He says that the cut outs cause stress concentrations, no shit. When one thing breaks other parts pick up load and they consequentially fall, again nothing new to most people. The dynamic loads are hard to understand, thanks for that. A structure without cut outs would be stronger, I think everyone here gets that.

Nothing he says is really wrong, and the blokes not a sailor but he gets it. If basic engineering concepts are not something you understand he explains a bit about stresses.

He doesn't knock the designers.

It does provide a handy visual and at least outlines the different loads that the structure will be subjected to.

Andi got some good details from Marcus Hutchinson (team manager LinkedOut) in today's Vendée Live #20 [EN].

Maybe 2-3 kt loss on starboard expected

How much is the boat compromised? You obviously have lost the leverage the righting moment of the foil but you still can set up the boat with the ballast and the keel. So what potential do we have now?
Well in in sheer number terms it's difficult to to estimate that. I'm sure the designers and team are working on on their estimations as to what the polars would be, but you know the reality is that the boat is compromised on starboard. We don't have as much righting moment as we used to--whether it's 10 percent or 20 or 50. It's definitely not 50; it's probably two or three or four knots when the boat is being used at its full potential. [snip] Once they get into the southern ocean most of the skippers tend to lift the foot a little bit on the accelerator and try and keep themselves safe and maybe not exploit the full potential of their boat. Until they get back into the Atlantic again I'm sure that'll be the case naturally for everybody, but in our case clearly it's almost done for us in some respects. On starboard tack we are able to use the boat differently because when we are using the full foil strength obviously we can't use full ballast configuration because we generate too much righting moment and the mast wouldn't have been able to support that. So we're now in a different situation so the boat will be sailed differently, clearly on starboard tack. On port tack we will be able to use ballast on on starboard tack more in different configurations than was the case before. So the boat is going to be compromised on on starboard, it's going to be at times as much as four or five knots but at times it's going to be, you know, maybe as little as two or three knots

https://youtu.be/Hh6T7AfAv6g?t=481

• Like 2

For anyone panicking about dropping the tip in the ocean.  Carbon fiber itself is basically inert and the epoxy resin takes forever to break down.   There will be substantially more waste produced from the production of a new foil, then dropping that tip on to the ocean floor.

Props to Thomas for a solid safety setup to go out on that foil and then filming it for us.

• Like 5

This weeks T&S weather look from Richomme

The key moment this week, for me, is Charlie's takeover . Apivia took control first of all because of the technical problems encountered by Thomas (Royant) , who had to climb on his mast and broke his port foil, but also because of the quality of navigation - exceptional - of Charlie .

Charlie takes power

When we look at his trail, there isvery little waste . It's a very complicated trajectory to achieve which requires a high level of control to lead an Imoca always in the right direction when the wind is unstable and you have to maneuver often. 

The fine strategy in the high pressure and, above all, the ability to find the right moment to be fully on the settings, is really Charlie's signature . I don't really like to say that, but it's typical of a runner who has gone through the Solitaire du Figaro : he has a knife between his teeth when he has to be on it. This indicates a lot of concentration and surely little technical trouble. 

I think Charlie won his first bet : to have a versatile boatto be in the lead at Bonne-Espérance. His second bet is reliability and, for the moment, he has not been served by his horse, unlike Alex and Thomas who have been greatly slowed down by their technical setbacks. 

Thomas not too embarrassed for the moment 

LinkedOut will not suffer too much for the moment because there is a lot of port tack on the program in the coming days. Thomas will be on starboard without foil from November 29 in the afternoon, once the front has passed. 

I think he won't be too handicapped either when the sea is chaotic, in the passages at 35 knots, gusts at 45 and 6 meters of sea, which they will encounter next week (see below). Because overall in these conditions, you forget the flight mode. So as long as it's strong it's going to be fine . At worst, it will have the equivalent of a very good drift boat. 

Alex must test Hugo Boss

We saw that Alex took a lot of equipment with him, his video in which he shows us his carbon plates speaks volumes. We perceive through this an experience of breakages , but also probably a concern about the reliability of the boat. The shore crew worked hard to advise them on repairs with the material available on board.

Alex has just started to pick up speed and I think overall he's going to be confident. But, anyway, he had better shoot his Hugo Boss now to see if it holds. It will go quite easily for him until the passage of the front; then, in the first big gust of wind, this is where he can show what he really has in his stomach. 

Charlie routing by Yoann

Sainte-Hélène in the end not so decisive

Behind, there were several options between those who went west by lengthening the road - Bureau Vallée and Initiatives Coeur - those who remained in the middle - PRB, Arkéa Paprec , Maître CoQ, Malizia -, and Yes We Cam to the east. On the finish line, Louis and Sam played well , because they were behind Kevin and Sébastien and they will end up just in front when they converge. But in the end, they all did well, I wouldn't give bad marks!

I found at the beginning that the road of Jean Le Cam was super risky , I did not understand. But, in fact, he will get by, while the routings of the last few days were not very favorable to his choice of route. This is where I admire: he has a kind of rather incredible external vision, he shows us an enormous experience of weather situations in this race. He probably thought that the anticyclone would end up migrating and opening the door slowly, I think he should simplify the weather situations, he should only look at the outlines, not the details. 

Four days behind 2016 at Bonne-Espérance

Charlie will be in the thick of the South Seas from tonight, and could come close to the 24 hour record between Saturday and Sunday [536.81 miles by Alex Thomson on the last Vendée Globe, Editor's note] , before the jibe on November 30th. Date on which it should pass the longitude of Good Hope after approximately 22 daysof sea: it is very far from the reference passage time of Hugo Boss in 2016 - 17 days 22 hours. 

Confirmation that Sainte-Hélène will not have generated big gaps, the fleet should be quite compact behind Apivia : on my routing, I see LinkedOut at about 200 miles, the group led by Bureau Vallée at 350, Yes We Cam at 500, Apicil at 700; up to La Fabrique , we should find 18 boats in 1,000 miles, I think that's quite unusual at this stage of the Vendée Globe. 

This weekend, the competitors will be operating in downwind winds of 20 to 30 knots, with gusts to 35.From Monday, November 30, they will be in the cold sector of the depression , it will be the first big gale from the south with surely many squalls, strong gusts (up to 45 knots) and heavy seas (5- 6 meters). It will finally be the great South .

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Guess who is going at 7 knots in 17 knots of breeze.!  Humm makes you wonder...

smileRepairSpeed.thumb.jpg.574f2afe4cf790318d0d0bc9d91a6035.jpg

Check it Out!  :D    (PD. Updated... Now 26.2 knots in 18 Knots of breeze !... Geeeezze) :D

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

And HB back to 21knots, let's hope he really can keep going.

You still down by the Cape? Sadly, looks like the group will be too far away for you and your friends to goPro kite by them. Those vids were great.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nasil2nd said:

Wonder if Le cam will pass close enough to Tristan to get it on video, btw.

We.. Looks like he is going for a clac clac clac island detour, would be awesome to watch...

Something wrong in my screen with Dalin pointing SW almost caressing the IEZ (weird Mtraffic bloop or something real...putain hope not) :huh:

DalinSW.jpg.658ac3538e7cd489f72966fd464f7b07.jpg

2 hours ago, Miffy said:

He didn’t recover it. In the end it’ll have less environmental impact than the buoys being tossed into the ocean. 

HOW DARE YOU? :P

How dare you!': Greta Thunberg's angry speech to world leaders at climate  conference – 3AW

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Rafael said:

We.. Looks like he is going for a clac clac clac island detour, would be awesome to watch...

Something wrong in my screen with Dalin pointing SW almost caressing the IEZ (weird Mtraffic bloop or something real...putain hope not) :huh:

DalinSW.jpg.658ac3538e7cd489f72966fd464f7b07.jpg

Seems to be doing quite well

starting run 2020-11-27 18:37:30.005272
LINKED------->LAT:  -39.7416 LON:  -14.8715, SPEED: 14.1, HEADING: 188, TIME: 2020-11-27 18:34:00
APIVIA------->LAT:  -42.4876 LON:   -8.6603, SPEED: 25.5, HEADING: 156, TIME: 2020-11-27 18:36:00
CAM---------->LAT: -36.488000 LON:  -14.2854, SPEED: 14.9, HEADING: 109, TIME: 2020-11-27 18:19:00

Just now, nasil2nd said:

Seems to be doing quite well

starting run 2020-11-27 18:37:30.005272
LINKED------->LAT:  -39.7416 LON:  -14.8715, SPEED: 14.1, HEADING: 188, TIME: 2020-11-27 18:34:00
APIVIA------->LAT:  -42.4876 LON:   -8.6603, SPEED: 25.5, HEADING: 156, TIME: 2020-11-27 18:36:00
CAM---------->LAT: -36.488000 LON:  -14.2854, SPEED: 14.9, HEADING: 109, TIME: 2020-11-27 18:19:00

Smoking too!! Bienn...Merci!...  ok.png.fa9b04c894a63f1ba11b3428ee00435f.png

1 hour ago, tDot said:

For anyone panicking about dropping the tip in the ocean.  Carbon fiber itself is basically inert and the epoxy resin takes forever to break down.   There will be substantially more waste produced from the production of a new foil, then dropping that tip on to the ocean floor.

Props to Thomas for a solid safety setup to go out on that foil and then filming it for us.

And just descending from climbing the mast, after 20 days at sea... alone, ticking several days of +500 miles/24Hr... I bet he is sorry but doesn't give a fuck about his foil tip in the ocean... he is safe & sound and with 13.000miles of evil SOcean boiling race in the bow... Bravo Marin

And most probably, hope not, but there is going to be others in similar distress situations (+30 boats in the race)... time to time

Will Harris --nice job explaining how the boats will position for the upcoming wind shift.

All the gurus so far expect the low travelling fast enough to roll the fleet. 

• Like 4

Rock star sailor, Charlie Dalin
Collaboration in design with Francois Gabart who is ultime skipper right now.
Chapeau, Well done,
1151039968_Vendeeglobe11.PNG.f683a7f5ed9cfbb7fb7118b8533b98b0.PNG
This Vendee so far has been exciting.
With all twist and turns,
Jeremy Bijou, Alex Thomson,  Thomas Ruyant all stepped back on structural problems.
Jean Le Cam still in top three with a non foiler.
It is more a design contest then ever before.

• Like 2

1700 update.  Looks like Alex is rolling again. But, def had some slow issues during the early morning hours.

Looking ahead, even if AT can keep Boss all glued together, he could well hang on to the back of the peloton, but might get dropped.  His slow periods since the 2100 update have lost him some 12 hours compared to the solo breakaway leader.

Running some comps of my home made polars for Boss.  It does seem to be getting closer and I think that if Boss had been sailing at or near the Polar potential the positions would have been even closer than they were.  Next update that I do will be interesting for more comparison.     

Vendee20.JPG

vendeepolarcomp.JPG

vendeetrackup.JPG

• Like 4

1 hour ago, tDot said:

Agreed.  I see the issue more as bad optics than actual environmental damage.  It's hard to talk about how there's too much trash in the ocean, and how a fleet can't race around the world without taking damage from UFOS, while also publishing a video showing no effort to keep the remainder aboard.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

even if AT can keep Boss all glued together, he could well hang on to the back of the peloton, but might get dropped

Was afraid of that--thanks for confirming. Probably getting mixed up with the JVT feeds, but had thought the new foilers, Alex's design especially, were hoping their  configs could staying ahead of the southern lows. If so, guess w'ell have to wait for the second train to see.

13 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

m

I do not believe a glued together boat.
Even silly he went on allthough understandable.
It's a captivating Vendee Globe, more than ever before.

5 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Agreed.  I see the issue more as bad optics than actual environmental damage.  It's hard to talk about how there's too much trash in the ocean, and how a fleet can't race around the world without taking damage from UFOS, while also publishing a video showing no effort to keep the remainder aboard.

That's why Jean le Cam might win the race.
Less swiss army knives appendages.

• Like 1

At least now we can forget who is heading where, doing the highest speeds etc and just use the VMG figures to compare the boats true gains/loses. The leading group will compact for a while, but to overtake Charlie they will have to sail in the same winds eventually and It will be hard to pass him then.

34 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Where do y'all think Corum's rig finished up!

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

At least LinkedOut isn’t promoting some American vague green environmental composting ocean health boat program based in one of the most highest energy usage per capita adjusted for climate regions of the world and building more boats for a race to no where. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, tinga said:

Where do y'all think Corum's rig finished up!

Bottom of the ocean?  I'm guessing a rig is not flotsam and if sail material was attached it went the same direction, down.

Speeds and positions at 20:20 FR time

starting run 2020-11-27 20:20:42.239448
LINKED------->LAT:  -38.1668 LON:  -17.0447, SPEED: 17.0, HEADING: 105, TIME: 2020-11-27 20:02:00
APIVIA------->LAT:  -42.9019 LON:  -8.47230, SPEED:  9.0, HEADING: 143, TIME: 2020-11-27 20:06:00
CAM---------->LAT:  -36.7043 LON:  -13.4711, SPEED: 12.6, HEADING: 111, TIME: 2020-11-27 20:02:00
BOSS--------->LAT:  -38.0383 LON:  -20.6618, SPEED: 24.2, HEADING: 118, TIME: 2020-11-27 20:03:00
ARKEA-------->LAT:  -38.0404 LON:  -18.3347, SPEED: 19.0, HEADING:  94, TIME: 2020-11-27 19:41:00
INITIATIVE--->LAT:  -39.3674 LON:  -20.4248, SPEED: 17.6, HEADING: 108, TIME: 2020-11-27 19:55:00
BURTON------->LAT:  -39.3674 LON:  -20.4248, SPEED: 17.6, HEADING: 108, TIME: 2020-11-27 19:34:00

For those interested in following other boats, the code is posted here

• Like 7

An intermission during an eco-warrior debate for those who are anticipating the fleet getting ready to enter the tunnel and the next 12,000 miles: 

Southern Ocean perspectives and footage from many of the greats (pardon the VOR stuff)

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, nasil2nd said:

Speeds and positions at 20:20 FR time

starting run 2020-11-27 20:20:42.239448
LINKED------->LAT:  -38.1668 LON:  -17.0447, SPEED: 17.0, HEADING: 105, TIME: 2020-11-27 20:02:00
APIVIA------->LAT:  -42.9019 LON:  -8.47230, SPEED:  9.0, HEADING: 143, TIME: 2020-11-27 20:06:00
CAM---------->LAT:  -36.7043 LON:  -13.4711, SPEED: 12.6, HEADING: 111, TIME: 2020-11-27 20:02:00
BOSS--------->LAT:  -38.0383 LON:  -20.6618, SPEED: 24.2, HEADING: 118, TIME: 2020-11-27 20:03:00
ARKEA-------->LAT:  -38.0404 LON:  -18.3347, SPEED: 19.0, HEADING:  94, TIME: 2020-11-27 19:41:00
INITIATIVE--->LAT:  -39.3674 LON:  -20.4248, SPEED: 17.6, HEADING: 108, TIME: 2020-11-27 19:55:00
BURTON------->LAT:  -39.3674 LON:  -20.4248, SPEED: 17.6, HEADING: 108, TIME: 2020-11-27 19:34:00

Merci Beaucoup!!

I will try to make this my last comment on the LO foil tip issue: There is damage to the environment which should, but cannot be avoided. I am a big fan of the race and the sport obviously, but we all do it for fun. If you do something just for fun or entertainment, you cannot cause damage to the environment. There was a picture of the old Hugo Boss a few pages earlier. This boat should have been recovered. Same with rigs, foils, whatever. Even if the foil is heavy enough to sink it will still be ground up over time and end up as microplastic. I know we are not there in many other ways (e.g. car racing), but it's difficult to see how the videos of the albatrosses and nature, frequent comments by ocean racers about a decrease in wildlife and an increase in trash, fit with dumping foils, rigs and sails overboard, not recovering abandoned boats and accepting it as the environmental cost of the sport. Put a beacon and a life jacket type device on it to keep it afloat, go and get it. At least we should have a debate about it and not just accept it as unchangeable. That doesn't cut it anymore.

• Like 7
  • Downvote 5

4 minutes ago, nogetwe said:

At least we should have a debate about it

Always. When it gets too much in one thread, doesn't take much to start another in PA.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, nogetwe said:

I will try to make this my last comment on the LO foil tip issue: There is damage to the environment which should, but cannot be avoided. I am a big fan of the race and the sport obviously, but we all do it for fun. If you do something just for fun or entertainment, you cannot cause damage to the environment. There was a picture of the old Hugo Boss a few pages earlier. This boat should have been recovered. Same with rigs, foils, whatever. Even if the foil is heavy enough to sink it will still be ground up over time and end up as microplastic. I know we are not there in many other ways (e.g. car racing), but it's difficult to see how the videos of the albatrosses and nature, frequent comments by ocean racers about a decrease in wildlife and an increase in trash, fit with dumping foils, rigs and sails overboard, not recovering abandoned boats and accepting it as the environmental cost of the sport. Put a beacon and a life jacket type device on it to keep it afloat, go and get it. At least we should have a debate about it and not just accept it as unchangeable. That doesn't cut it anymore.

Dude, are you aware of your carbon footprint ? I think not.

All these boats are huge energy hoags in the first place, making carbon fibers is very energy intensive.

Dropping a foil tip in the ocean, when it wouldn't have been recycled anyway does not change much.

For sure it will not last forever, and will be over sooner that many expects, but not a reason for you to push your clumsy mandatory moralistic positive junk.

• Like 3
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, nogetwe said:

we should absolutely minimize dumping shit in the ocean. But you need to think. What do you think the environmental cost of retrieving a foil tip from the southern ocean would be??

• Like 4

In the next edition, it should be compulsory to make the foils out of baguettes.  If the foil breaks, you can eat whatever remains. And hopefully you will be near by Jean Le Clac Clac Clac, who can supply the wine. 

• Like 9

From AT Hub

"he's been the quickest boat today"

“We’re certainly pleased to be back in race mode again” continued Daniel. “Today, we look to be the fastest boat in the fleet so that’s certainly good to see.

For comparison a "eco" new car emits about 150grams of carbon per kilometer.  By the time the average person drives to and from work would amount to kilograms of carbon.  Not to mention this forum with it's 51 pages stored on servers somewhere.  It is a bigger problem then a foil tip at the bottom of the sea!

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, nasil2nd said:

[aside] Thanks for all those Sat AIS checks.

Just curious if you'd also looked at dumping the tracks here https://community.windy.com/topic/8514/your-map-uploads/6916

Seems like quite a few VG fans are posting their routes there, and as easy as 'regadata' for users to load 

Choose a file 
or drop file here.
Upload, display and share your KML, GPX or GeoJSON.

Supported extensions: .geojson, .json, .gpx, .kml, .xml

3 hours ago, stief said:

You still down by the Cape? Sadly, looks like the group will be too far away for you and your friends to goPro kite by them. Those vids were great.

You have an excellent memory, although that was of course the VOR boats. Sadly the combination of covid and rotator cuff surgery have left me stuck in Central Illinois.

• Like 1

Wikipedia reminder "When he crossed the finish line Colman [Conrad] became the first skipper to complete the Vendée Globe using no fossil fuels."

Who will be second?

3 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

that was of course the VOR boats. Sadly the combination of covid and rotator cuff surgery have left me stuck in Central Illinois.

Double ouch, and best wishes. Thanks again for the many hours I enjoyed with those vids. Was a great way to get away from the VOR thread blowing up over the Breakfast Club video.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, stief said:

[aside] Thanks for all those Sat AIS checks.

Just curious if you'd also looked at dumping the tracks here https://community.windy.com/topic/8514/your-map-uploads/6916

Seems like quite a few VG fans are posting their routes there, and as easy as 'regadata' for users to load 

Choose a file 
or drop file here.
Upload, display and share your KML, GPX or GeoJSON.

Supported extensions: .geojson, .json, .gpx, .kml, .xml

I didnt know about that. It is annoying to do because they dont have an api, and you have to upload manually. I will have a look tomorrow.

Anyhow, here is the last positions

starting run 2020-11-27 21:40:41.143918
LINKED------->LAT:  -38.1790 LON: -16.97580, SPEED: 16.5, HEADING: 103, TIME: 2020-11-27 21:26:00
APIVIA------->LAT:  -42.9212 LON:   -8.4411, SPEED: 10.2, HEADING:  88, TIME: 2020-11-27 21:18:00
CAM---------->LAT:  -36.7043 LON:  -13.4711, SPEED: 12.6, HEADING: 111, TIME: 2020-11-27 21:14:00
BOSS--------->LAT:  -38.0557 LON:  -20.5867, SPEED: 10.2, HEADING:  48, TIME: 2020-11-27 21:29:00
ARKEA-------->LAT:  -38.0255 LON:  -17.2848, SPEED: 16.4, HEADING: 108, TIME: 2020-11-27 20:51:00
INITIATIVE--->LAT:  -39.3674 LON:  -20.4248, SPEED: 17.6, HEADING: 108, TIME: 2020-11-27 20:50:00
BURTON------->LAT:  -39.4568 LON:  -20.1183, SPEED: 20.1, HEADING: 109, TIME: 2020-11-27 20:48:00

Apivia is going really fast, i saw multiple 28 knots in my reports.

Looks like boss jibed, probably the front reached him. Seems to have happened around 45 minutes ago.

• Like 4

Something is going on imo.

Why would hugo boss do that strange maneuver? Maybe heading for tristan? The heading is that one?

Or going for another boat in distress(would be the red one over there)

chrome_2020-11-27_22-06-02.png.07463976fa4eb80055c1e02acf89eabf.png

Just now, nasil2nd said:

Something is going on imo.

Why would hugo boss do that strange maneuver? Maybe heading for tristan? The heading is that one?

Or going for another boat in distress(would be the red one over there)

Indeed. Looks like he rounded up. 

The rest of the group looks normal--except for JLC, but that's normal too. He had lots of room around Tristan da Cunha . . .

Isabelle Joschke has finish the repair of her pushpit. It was completely torn apart when a pulley for a genaker blew off; the sheet took the whole pushpit with it.

She had to cut off her nav station seat support, it was the right size carbon tube to re-enforce what was left of the pushpit. She prepared and rebuilt everything inside the boat, and had to bond and stratify it to the deck. Yesterday was the last time window to do that; light wind, which means dry deck, to glue it together before she gets in the South Ocean weather systems.

She really wanted to have that fixed before she gets in the South, for safety reasons.

• Like 6

At approximately 7pm UK time this evening (Friday 27th November) Alex notified the team on shore of damage to the starboard rudder of HUGO BOSS.
The team immediately advised Alex to disconnect the rudder to regain steerage. He now has control of the yacht with one rudder, and is safe and in no danger onboard.
The team is working to assess the extent of the damage.
A further update will be released tomorrow.

• Like 3

https://www.alexthomsonracing.com/the-hub/2020/11/27/team-statement-2/

At approximately 19:00 UTC this evening (Friday 27th November) – 19 days into the Vendée Globe round-the-world yacht race – Alex Thomson notified his technical team on shore of damage to the starboard rudder of his HUGO BOSS boat.

The team immediately advised Thomson to disconnect the rudder to regain steerage. He now has control of the yacht with one rudder, and is safe and in no danger onboard.

The team is working to assess the extent of the damage. A further update will be released on Saturday 28th November.

Damnit - can't catch a 'break'

2 minutes ago, troy said:

https://www.alexthomsonracing.com/the-hub/2020/11/27/team-statement-2/

At approximately 19:00 UTC this evening (Friday 27th November) – 19 days into the Vendée Globe round-the-world yacht race – Alex Thomson notified his technical team on shore of damage to the starboard rudder of his HUGO BOSS boat.

The team immediately advised Thomson to disconnect the rudder to regain steerage. He now has control of the yacht with one rudder, and is safe and in no danger onboard.

The team is working to assess the extent of the damage. A further update will be released on Saturday 28th November.

Damnit - can't catch a 'break'

Bloody hell. A case of "if it wasn't for bad luck, he would have no luck at all"!

5 minutes ago, stief said:

At this rate the brit will soon be "the Welshman"

Technically he is.  Not a sad thing btw.  My mother is welsh and my father is a second gen brit from a scottish family.

I know this has been asked before.  Assuming it is strictly rudder (blade) damage, do they carry a spare?

2 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

I know this has been asked before.  Assuming it is strictly rudder (blade) damage, do they carry a spare?

They don't - too heavy

1 minute ago, Bebmoumoute said:

They don't - too heavy

I have seen one in somebody's video. Don't remember which boat, but some definitely carry a spare.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

Technically he is.  Not a sad thing btw.  My mother is welsh and my father is a second gen brit from a scottish family.

Sam had one hanging behind her in a recent vid. Didn't notice one on HB, but dread the posts if he doesn't. YGTBKM! Aaaargh.

(Small world. The Welsh/English is a family joke. My mother is Welsh too; I was born in Birmingham; then a year later moved to Canada.)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bebmoumoute said:

They don't - too heavy

Well, we can always go over to the JVT thread for good news.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bebmoumoute said:

They don't - too heavy

In the last VG Romain Attanasio broke both his rudders (fixed type, not kick up) and had one spare which he swopped out by going for a swim and he carried out a repair on the second and finished the race in a respectable place. The challenge Alex faces might be less severe?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

Bloody hell. A case of "if it wasn't for bad luck, he would have no luck at all"!

He probably ran into a carbon foil...

• Like 16

So, what a better time for a new position update than this?

starting run 2020-11-27 23:19:40.888652
LINKED------->LAT:  -38.2150 LON:  -17.0211, SPEED: 19.7, HEADING:  99, TIME: 2020-11-27 22:31:00
APIVIA------->LAT:  -42.5748 LON:   -7.2098, SPEED: 16.7, HEADING:  71, TIME: 2020-11-27 23:09:00
CAM---------->LAT:  -36.8717 LON:  -12.7323, SPEED: 15.4, HEADING: 102, TIME: 2020-11-27 22:33:00
BOSS--------->LAT: -37.98340 LON:  -20.0403, SPEED: 12.1, HEADING:  91, TIME: 2020-11-27 22:55:00
ARKEA-------->LAT:  -38.3741 LON:  -15.9387, SPEED: 19.2, HEADING: 104, TIME: 2020-11-27 23:12:00
INITIATIVE--->LAT:  -39.6475 LON:  -19.4595, SPEED: 14.1, HEADING: 109, TIME: 2020-11-27 22:27:00
BURTON------->LAT:  -39.6962 LON:  -19.2367, SPEED: 15.4, HEADING: 101, TIME: 2020-11-27 22:33:00

It looks like Boss is back in the right direction. Not so fast, but picking speed back up.

Luckily, I can still be a Hugo Boss fanboy for a bit, not over yet.

Linked out around 15 minutes ago was reporting 7 knots of boatspeed and heading 130, so something might have happened on board there too, but looks like it has been resolved already.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stief said:

Conrad Humphrey's replacement Dec 6 2008

I remember watching that. It was really an amazing effort from him. If i remember correctly, afterwards its keel nearly fell of, and he did from brasil to the finish with the keel risking to fall off at any time.

1 minute ago, nasil2nd said:

remember watching that. It was really an amazing effort from him. If i remember correctly, afterwards its keel nearly fell of, and he did from brasil to the finish with the keel risking to fall off at any time.

Will look forwards to his race review tomorrow https://www.youtube.com/c/ConradHumphreys/videos

16 minutes ago, troll99 said:

bye bye

Star Wars 8 news The Emperor DID NOT kill Darth Vader THIS did | Films |  Entertainment | Express.co.uk

Er, Luke recovered the body and burnt it on the planet er endor....like you do.

Gutted to say the least for Alex.

How much back bone does he have to show to catch some breaks in return. So unfair. 

1 minute ago, Chris UK said:

I dont think I have seen the new movie. :lol:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chris UK said:

As one does.

32 minutes ago, nasil2nd said:

I remember watching that. It was really an amazing effort from him. If i remember correctly, afterwards its keel nearly fell of, and he did from brasil to the finish with the keel risking to fall off at any time.

Watch this. Mike Golding's comment to Humphreys a few hours ago are  . .. priceless?

2 hours ago, Coconuts.is said:

For comparison a "eco" new car emits about 150grams of carbon per kilometer.  By the time the average person drives to and from work would amount to kilograms of carbon.  Not to mention this forum with it's 51 pages stored on servers somewhere.  It is a bigger problem then a foil tip at the bottom of the sea!

Prime example of whataboutism...

This discussion is about the foil tip and if it could have been recovered without putting the boat at risk.

• Like 1

Too soon to blame OSCAR? Or is OSCAR the hero and avoided a larger collision?

It'll be interesting to hear if OSCAR spotted the object and tried to maneuver the boat in anyway. Or just completely missed it.

9 hours ago, Rafael said:

Some more data added to the tracker/s

newTrackerData.jpg.fee07869de690e74d70de9b4f3a41d5a.jpg

Good that this is added. Question is; forecast or actual?

2 hours ago, stief said:

Wikipedia reminder "When he crossed the finish line Colman [Conrad] became the first skipper to complete the Vendée Globe using no fossil fuels."

Who will be second?