bigrpowr

Vendee Globe 2020

4 hours ago, nogetwe said:

I will try to make this my last comment on the LO foil tip issue: There is damage to the environment which should, but cannot be avoided. I am a big fan of the race and the sport obviously, but we all do it for fun. If you do something just for fun or entertainment, you cannot cause damage to the environment. There was a picture of the old Hugo Boss a few pages earlier. This boat should have been recovered. Same with rigs, foils, whatever. Even if the foil is heavy enough to sink it will still be ground up over time and end up as microplastic. I know we are not there in many other ways (e.g. car racing), but it's difficult to see how the videos of the albatrosses and nature, frequent comments by ocean racers about a decrease in wildlife and an increase in trash, fit with dumping foils, rigs and sails overboard, not recovering abandoned boats and accepting it as the environmental cost of the sport. Put a beacon and a life jacket type device on it to keep it afloat, go and get it. At least we should have a debate about it and not just accept it as unchangeable. That doesn't cut it anymore.

You must be fun at a party

• Like 2
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Hitchhiker said:

Technically he is.  Not a sad thing btw.  My mother is welsh and my father is a second gen brit from a scottish family.

I know this has been asked before.  Assuming it is strictly rudder (blade) damage, do they carry a spare?

My description for a Welshman is a Scotsman without the generousity. :D

56 minutes ago, tDot said:

Is it not programmed to spot wildlife? The sunfish, whales, dolphins, etc. that I've seen were almost more obvious then some of the logs or human garbage floating 1' below the surface. Seems like adding an animals to the database would be a relatively simple addition vs all of the various permutations of shapes that garbage can take.

Most wildlife in the blue waters aren’t swimming on the surface. Doesn’t mean you can’t hit them. Simultaneously the challenge with Oscar is it doesn’t exactly have the capacity to see oblique angles several nm away between a blowhole location and another. 

2 hours ago, nasil2nd said:

I have seen one in somebody's video. Don't remember which boat, but some definitely carry a spare.

I saw the same I was trying to remember which video. I think it was on Herrmann's boat. I'd be shocked if there wasn't at least an emergency rudder on HB - Not sure what good that does at high speeds

3 hours ago, TheDragon said:

You have an excellent memory, although that was of course the VOR boats. Sadly the combination of covid and rotator cuff surgery have left me stuck in Central Illinois.

Is that hell?

1 minute ago, Varan said:

Is that hell?

The best thing in central Illinois is the university of Illinois - but even that’s not where one wants to be during covid. Damn kids. 

In general, I think all of the IMOCA boats look high drag. They are downwind and reaching beasts. But I guess the designs would be very different if there was an advantage to upwind VMG efficiency.

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Good that this is added. Question is; forecast or actual?

Seems like race HQs are making an effort to catch up with the two HUBs (Alex's and Boris), no idea...

10 minutes ago, Varan said:

This looks like a lotta drag...

vd.jpg.24c5444d75b73128aeed57e5db1021ac.jpg

but it appears to be working.

Thanks Sail-World .

Its tough to have lift without drag :-)  But that picture is amazing in how it shows how heavily aerated the water is after going over the foil. I never would have guessed that.  You can even see 3 distinct distubances, which I assume are vortices. Makes me want a glass board for my kite foil so I can see whats actually going on down there.

Has an old boat ever wont a VG?  At this rate with 6 of the 8 new boats already damaged, the odd are certainly in favor of an older design.  Or, the ultimate irony, Arkea wins.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nasil2nd said:

So, what a better time for a new position update than this?

starting run 2020-11-27 23:19:40.888652
LINKED------->LAT:  -38.2150 LON:  -17.0211, SPEED: 19.7, HEADING:  99, TIME: 2020-11-27 22:31:00
APIVIA------->LAT:  -42.5748 LON:   -7.2098, SPEED: 16.7, HEADING:  71, TIME: 2020-11-27 23:09:00
CAM---------->LAT:  -36.8717 LON:  -12.7323, SPEED: 15.4, HEADING: 102, TIME: 2020-11-27 22:33:00
BOSS--------->LAT: -37.98340 LON:  -20.0403, SPEED: 12.1, HEADING:  91, TIME: 2020-11-27 22:55:00
ARKEA-------->LAT:  -38.3741 LON:  -15.9387, SPEED: 19.2, HEADING: 104, TIME: 2020-11-27 23:12:00
INITIATIVE--->LAT:  -39.6475 LON:  -19.4595, SPEED: 14.1, HEADING: 109, TIME: 2020-11-27 22:27:00
BURTON------->LAT:  -39.6962 LON:  -19.2367, SPEED: 15.4, HEADING: 101, TIME: 2020-11-27 22:33:00

It looks like Boss is back in the right direction. Not so fast, but picking speed back up.

Luckily, I can still be a Hugo Boss fanboy for a bit, not over yet.

Linked out around 15 minutes ago was reporting 7 knots of boatspeed and heading 130, so something might have happened on board there too, but looks like it has been resolved already.

Thank you again! you inputs are really appreciated, not good for Alex and Thomas, (and Beyou)... a real shame, three of the top dogs and favourites allmost out, fighting as crazy to keep their races afloat. This race is living up to its evil reputation, and the fleet just started the long Southern fiesta (!)... the fat lady has some extra songs for all the audiences to watch and enjoy... this is the VG's clac clac clac edition... (at least he is still intact and in good shape (crossfingers))

50 minutes ago, Roleur said:

Has an old boat ever wont a VG?  At this rate with 6 of the 8 new boats already damaged, the odd are certainly in favor of an older design.  Or, the ultimate irony, Arkea wins.  

Juan KO smiles and officialy approves this message

JuanKOosmile.jpg.67e8968966fc477a56d2e17a4e4388a5.jpg

• Like 1

It would be something to consider this Karma, or a response to hubris regarding AT and Hugo Boss, but I see this as just how shit goes at times.  Sometimes you're the hero, sometimes the goat.

For all the discussion about his cracks and repairs, I had no worries that what ever he fixed would work, but it never ruled out, like every other boat out there, the moment when some other system would fail and in this case, fate rolled craps.

If he has only one rudder and no replacement I see two options, sail on, race as best as possible, but know you cannot compete, or make it to CapeTown and call it a day, the boat failed the race.  Guess time will tell.

Still think Davies and Burton are in a sweet spot to make hay, but Herman's numbers and routes are..well..numbers and routes and this race is much about numbers.  Would be cool to see them surf into contention as they sail the pseudo SO.

1 hour ago, DukeRaoul said:

I saw the same I was trying to remember which video. I think it was on Herrmann's boat. I'd be shocked if there wasn't at least an emergency rudder on HB - Not sure what good that does at high speeds

Kevin on PRB is carrying a spare rudder too, is visible in the video where he's dealing with the broken through hull

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, tDot said:

Its tough to have lift without drag :-)  But that picture is amazing in how it shows how heavily aerated the water is after going over the foil. I never would have guessed that.  You can even see 3 distinct distubances, which I assume are vortices. Makes me want a glass board for my kite foil so I can see whats actually going on down there.

Looks like that photo was taken while the boat was descending back down into the water - the foil is very near the surface. Not a steady state condition.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Thread Killer said:

Looks like that photo was taken while the boat was descending back down into the water - the foil is very near the surface. Not a steady state condition.

My thoughts exactly.

1 hour ago, Miffy said:

Most wildlife in the blue waters aren’t swimming on the surface. Doesn’t mean you can’t hit them. Simultaneously the challenge with Oscar is it doesn’t exactly have the capacity to see oblique angles several nm away between a blowhole location and another. 

Saw one of the VG videos (forget who's) with a couple of whales spouting only a few hundred yards away (meters to y'all farther east)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Varan said:

Is that hell?

Close, especially as winter closes in, cold and grey these days. But better to rehab a shoulder during semi-lockdown than when all is open, just wish I could have had the surgery earlier, but covid had the hospital cancel elective surgery.

3 hours ago, stief said:

Well, we can always go over to the JVT thread for good news.

I assume you wrote that before Gitana hit something and retired?  Either that, or I missed the sarcasm.

I have a hard time getting too connected to these races as it really just the most expensive Russian Roulette ever.  No amount of preparation can prevent you from hitting things.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Miffy said:

The best thing in central Illinois is the university of Illinois - but even that’s not where one wants to be during covid. Damn kids. 

Indeed, I worked there for 31 years, retired end of 2018 to go sailing, but had to leave my boat in Panama in March. Might be next March before I get back to it at this rate. And I have VG, JV, and AC to keep me distracted till then, sweet.

UIUC gave the world a lot of great things, including help with transistor, MRI, superconductor, LED, and web browser.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

Indeed, I worked there for 31 years, retired end of 2018 to go sailing, but had to leave my boat in Panama in March. Might be next March before I get back to it at this rate. And I have VG, JV, and AC to keep me distracted till then, sweet.

UIUC gave the world a lot of great things, including help with transistor, MRI, superconductor, LED, and web browser.

A lot of land grant schools have given much to the world and maximized generations of kids in the Midwest. Shame hating on public higher edu is all the rage now. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, C. Spackler said:

I was hoping to pick up one of those $225 Hugo Boss sweatshirts. Do you think they'll be on sale by Christmas?

Disasters are attractive to sponsors. It will probably cost you close to 300 soon... BTW, HB makes sweatshirts? I thought they were in the suit business.

Back to the race: Alex has mentioned they carry a lot of stuff, saying something along the lines of "a lot more than most of the other boats." Considering that the rudder is easy to access (see image below) it would be surprising (to me) if he doesn't have a spare rudder. Of course, we don't know what kind of damage there is...

image.png.f5424f7cbfb1545db557e2ef696dcdf8.png

2 hours ago, Thread Killer said:

Possibly.   I figured that wasn't the case, as he's up on top of a pretty soft rolling wave, it's a short period swell, but he's only travelling about 10* off parallel to them,  so nothing I'd expect to see him coming down from. He also has a small bow wake started under the A of Apivia, that travels for 1m+ down the boat.... if that had been caused by a splashdown I would have expected more horizantal spray.   But it's certainly possible, it makes sense. I just don't think I've ever seen that photo angle on a foil before, so was abit surprised by the amount air present.

2 hours ago, ctutmark said:

Kevin on PRB is carrying a spare rudder too, is visible in the video where he's dealing with the broken through hull

personally, if I were doing this race, not going without one spare rudder blade wouldn't be an option.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tDot said:

History will relegate those workaround foils the the dodo bin.

The AC approach is the go, foils underwater.

Damn, Le Cam... never expected you to win, but continuing as you have, you just might. Yes we Cam!

• Like 6

47 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Actually, Hell is in Michigan:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell,_Michigan

I ran a half marathon there 15 years or so ago.  I suppose it freezes over annually.

do you have one of those cute '13.1' stickers on the back of your saab? yesterday I saw '0.05' on the back of some beat down jalopy, it cracked me up. 

28 minutes ago, Roleur said:

I assume you wrote that before Gitana hit something and retired?  Either that, or I missed the sarcasm.

I have a hard time getting too connected to these races as it really just the most expensive Russian Roulette ever.  No amount of preparation can prevent you from hitting things.  

In short? Wrote it after. Yes, sarcastic--I was replying to Bebmoumoute, whose post in the JVT thread (about Gitana meeting a UFO) was the first post I saw going over there to get away from the "we knew it" posts. Too painfully funny.

Longer story. The irony was even worse to come back here and find Alex had no replacement rudder, after all the pages of questions about why he was carrying so much repair material. Went to check on rudder replacement stories, recalled Conrad Humphrey's comeback story, but also noted two hours earlier he had posted a chat with Mike Golding about Alex's chances now that the bow repairs were done.What a difference hearing Golding talk about Alex's chances to get back into the run--it went on. Not often you get to hear an expert just before something crashes. No escape from the irony. :D 

Agree about not getting connected. E.g.,  You described my attitude to the  AC, Olympics, and the coastal races. S-H is kinda interesting because of the VOR and it usually has an active and  interesting thread  nearby.

The RTW races as Russian Roulette: Too right.

But those are the ones I can't ignore. Don't know exactly why, but it began when I messed up a start line incidence (in 470s) with Jerry Roufs. I retired. He gave me hell after for retiring, and told me I should have run the race, but avoided the finish line. Great guy. Many years later I heard he was the Canadian lost in the VG '97. That connection made me listen closely to those like Dee, Sam, Brisbane Bill, Sir Robin, Nandor, Ari, Pip, Golding, the Conrads, and others who play the 'game.' Why did Jerry do it? Lots of hints, but no answers. JVT seems to fit,  too. 

Anyway, easy to get connected with comeback stories. After that, it's a short hop to interest in the "let's improve our chances" stories. The faint-hope efforts like navigating, forecasting weather, communicating at sea, cleaning up the oceans, OSCAR, the keel pinger, Todo list: What's the answer to all these carbon knives carving up sushi. Stop racing RTW? Doesn't work for me. It would be like quitting smoking. I'd rather be dead.

But OceanRacingAnarchy sure beats books/TV when isolated, retired, and passing time until the ice melts next year and the boats get back in the water for a few short months.

Hmmm. Too long and maudlin. Time for another glass and a smoke. Cheers

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, weightless said:

The "I damn near finished a half marathon" sticker?

'13.1'?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, astro said:

History will relegate those workaround foils the the dodo bin.

The AC approach is the go, foils underwater.

lol have you even seen an AC foiler in following seas above force 5 winds. 

7 minutes ago, Miffy said:

lol have you even seen an AC foiler in following seas above force 5 winds. 

No, but they aren't designed for that, but they could be.

I have seen the IMOCAs in those seas and they are totally fucked.  They are unstable, they break, the foil goes from air to water frequently, the drag is horrendous, they are a Frankenstein of a boat, retrofitted beyond the original design concept.

Interesting sked. 19 "all bunched up".(true, over 1200 nm, and 12.000 to go to the Horn).

Hey guys--can I play too? Go the Aussie. Gotta like Stéphane Le Diraison. JLC still in there. Alex too.234742873_ScreenShot2020-11-27at10_23_21PM.png.3bbb0a185ccbbe273efb54fe0b136303.png

29 minutes ago, astro said:

No, but they aren't designed for that, but they could be.

I have seen the IMOCAs in those seas and they are totally fucked.  They are unstable, they break, the foil goes from air to water frequently, the drag is horrendous, they are a Frankenstein of a boat, retrofitted beyond the original design concept.

It’s like you had a coma and missed 2016-2020

• Like 1

Jérémie cannot get a break. Armel still making good miles, but breaking right, maybe in anticipation of the next train ride. Louis and Sam with the best 24 hour averages, 465nm for Louis.

So many sailors for us to follow. Especially interesting this time and none are even around the first cape yet.

• Like 2

One thing I am a bit curious about is that these rudders can swing up so why aren't they designed with a "fuse" so that they kick up when they hit something without getting destroyed?
I understand that's not really an option with the foils but the rudders already kick up so it would seem technically feasible...

• Like 1

Just looking at the weather forecasts and it appears that Le Cam may stay in the current wind for another 10-12 hours after Thomas has to change course on the new front rolling through the fleet in the next few hours.  JLC could be in 2nd place tomorrow. Amazing if he pulls it off.

7 hours ago, Miffy said:

wtf :lol:  They don't swim on the surface no..., they just breathe, play, sunbathe... congregate, and even mate... :lol:

A warm wellcome southern familiar comitee for the lucky gBoy leader (lots of them in these blue waters...)

Fuck, ocean debris menace the fleet, but this is just another level, quite serious atomic boat destroyers bombs at +20knts... another real evil menace add to the list for our heroes, wellcome the Wild Wild South!!

3 hours ago, Varan said:

Damn, Le Cam... never expected you to win, but continuing as you have, you just might. Yes we Cam!

YesweCAM.jpg.76d7e7f4c7af5ff00070778986b8e94a.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, C. Spackler said:

I was hoping to pick up one of those $225 Hugo Boss sweatshirts. Do you think they'll be on sale by Christmas?

Alex-Thomson-profile-sailing.thumb.jpg.c05d40084c0ebb5e2bd31c90da3f26d9.jpg

Special Offer... This Christmas, if you purchase a fancy HB suit, you'll get a Starboard foil, a fucked rudder and a fine selection of carbon plates

• Like 6

Just look at those fucking foils.

What could possibly go wrong?

3 hours ago, 3to1 said:

personally, if I were doing this race, not going without one spare rudder blade wouldn't be an option.

So, is a triple negative still a negative? 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 3to1 said:

7 minutes ago, D Wayne G said:

So, is a triple negative still a negative? 

Look at his name...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Airwick said:

One thing I am a bit curious about is that these rudders can swing up so why aren't they designed with a "fuse" so that they kick up when they hit something without getting destroyed?
I understand that's not really an option with the foils but the rudders already kick up so it would seem technically feasible...

They wouldn't be designed to kick up just before they failed having reached a normal use loading scenario they weren't designed for....

I thought some were designed to kick up if they hit something, but I'm not confident on that.

Do we know if he hit something or it just shit the bed? I've not seen confirmation of that.

2 minutes ago, European Bloke said:

Do we know if he hit something or it just shit the bed? I've not seen confirmation of that.

That's a good point... I assumed it wouldn't just break for "no reason" as that doesn't seem too common.

The loads under normal use should be quite predictable (at least compared to other bits on these boats) so unless there was a manufacturing issue it seems unlikely to fail without some sort of "external factor" but I suppose it could happen if the design was on the edge...

37 minutes ago, astro said:

That's 2016.

Now we watch Charlie escape over the horizon,   who will get dragged along and also escape....this is a separation of a gathering of the bunches......but great to see the three gals in the bunch at the moment.  Sam who has been steady with momentum with her time building up to this VG, Isobel who has been quietly developing her skills in the Imoca training ground of Class40 and rewarded...and in the top 15, and Clarrise who has been with Mini 650 and look now,  with her big step up and now in with this bunch at the start of the Southern Ocean.....realities meets dream...

All the Gals,... Pip who has done huge steps to describe for the rest of the world ,life in training for the Mini program...  some great experiences to write about.....Alexia who has a great range of sailing but not some much in this enduro ,..here she is alongside Miranda who has so much experience in Class 40 in readiness for Enduro Max Class.  again more realities from dream ,when they get down to the southern ocean.  ...

to all that , just are here in the biggest turnout yet ,.. Women and men from all walks and those that watch from afar   How small this world that is alone in the biggest space of all......

to the wet and the cold they go.....it seems years ago that Skip started his trips for people to understand the white stuff in the vastness of this cold and wet....or you go back To the Endurance and Shackeltons efforts to recover his men and then to hear how their lives were lost so quickly and mindlessly in WW1.....Stories that will now be set in the circumstances that colour the world.....   but" tacks "on the deck is not a circumstance for this time round the world....  but there will be stories that will be told to those that listen.... and maybe accompanied by guitar eh Haji

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Chris UK said:
43 minutes ago, astro said:

That's 2016.

So?

Aren't they just bigger now?

Drag those fuckers through the water all the way around the marble  ... and what, they break?  They hit something?  Make sushi from a whale?

What a surprise.

So my kiss of death prediction for a podium finish was HB, Charal and Apivia, still a lot of time left for Apivia to bite the spume.. err dust.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, astro said:

So?

Aren't they just bigger now?

Drag those fuckers through the water all the way around the marble  ... and what, they break?  They hit something?  Make sushi from a whale?

What a surprise.

so is your bright strategy to make the foils smaller?

3 hours ago, Airwick said:

They always used to be, but getting the fuse 'just right' proved to be near impossible. Too many times the rudder would kick up, causing the boat to completely spin out, whilst at pace, causing more damage than if  the rudder had taken a hit. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Roleur said:

I think Vincent Riou won with a 2000 boat (the winning one with Desjoyeaux) in 2004. Same sponsor as well PRB.

1 hour ago, huey 2 said:

...there will be stories that will be told to those that listen.... and maybe accompanied by guitar eh Haji

Sure, why not.  It is good to have ways to cope with the stress.  Sometimes, being a bit silly really isn't silly at all.

Dec 14 009.jpg

• Like 8

39 minutes ago, Potter said:

They always used to be, but getting the fuse 'just right' proved to be near impossible. Too many times the rudder would kick up, causing the boat to completely spin out, whilst at pace, causing more damage than if  the rudder had taken a hit. 

Fals-positives with consequences. I just saw a Dutch video by our Zeilen magazine that Herrmann had his OSCAR linked to his auto pilot. I wonder what his experience are.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Haji said:

Sure, why not.  It is good to have ways to cope with the stress.  Sometimes, being a bit silly really isn't silly at all.

Nice photo!!

JLC also seems to have found an interesting way to cope with stress.  I can't tell whether its charming or something else, but given that JLC is the king,  as calming as Bob Ross, and is seriously crushing this race (for his boat), I will go with charming. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Varan said:

Louis and Sam with the best 24 hour averages, 465nm for Louis.

misleading. The upper group is past them anyway. Better wind angle etc

31 minutes ago, Bebmoumoute said:

I think Vincent Riou won with a 2000 boat (the winning one with Desjoyeaux) in 2004. Same sponsor as well PRB.

The same boat became Roxy and crossed the line 3rd in the 2008/9 race.

As the boats enjoy the ride, I skip the weather routing for today. Just some observations; AT seems cursed, what a bad luck for the man with the rudder too. All DTLs for the top 15 boats start to decline, except for JLC who is a lot further north and AT.

DTLs 281120.png

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Airwick said:

They are designed with a fuse system and it works really well.  But is is still possible to have rudder damage by a small object that wouldn't kick up the rudder.  If the rudder start to delaminate it can be catastrophic.  When you have two rudders if you have one rudder that is slightly different then the other side because of damage, then the boats become uncontrollable at speed.

• Like 2

Just speculation  with the lack of solid news but is Hugo Boss setting a course for CapeTown in the last update? 

22 minutes ago, Qingdaosog said:

Just speculation  with the lack of solid news but is Hugo Boss setting a course for CapeTown in the last update? 

I wouldn't read into where he's pointing now- likely pointing for comfort more than anything 

49 minutes ago, Coconuts.is said:

They are designed with a fuse system and it works really well. 

So how complex is the job of replacing the fuse? Assume it is more than this. 

30 minutes ago, Qingdaosog said:

I was wondering that too. Perhaps powered up yesterday as a test, found that the probs still exist, so now eased back and heading for safety.  I hope not, but that could well be the reality.

2 hours ago, Bebmoumoute said:

https://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/the-legend

Nice history section, and another  boat won two editions, 101, Baggages Superior. Gautier. Have sailed on this one for a day back then. Awesome.

PRB was nr 85, for the ones looking into history of the boats.

• Like 1

Are the rudders symmetrical? Could AT switch the rudder to the other side?

Another thought: AT repairs the rudder while at anchor at Tristan de Cunha, Beyou catches up, AT rejoins  and we finally get the battle of the 2 black boats?

(yes, I'm trying to find new interest in the race now that its decided who will win...)

Euh, it is stil a month sailing around  Antarctica... Dalin is not save.
Who will be on the podium, PRB or Maitre Cock have a shot. All to play for.
Every enthousiast will have a few sailors they support... there are so many stories behind them.
Can almost not believe this will be only the 8th person to win a VG.

1 hour ago, staysail said:

The same boat became Roxy and crossed the line 3rd in the 2008/9 race.

Roxy came fourth skippered by Sam

5 minutes ago, steinbrenner said:

Roxy came fourth skippered by Sam

Yeah, but she crossed the line 3rd, which is what @staysail said. Marc Guillemot (finished 4th) was given redress for standing by Yann Elies when he broke his leg.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Potter said:

Yeah, but she crossed the line 3rd, which is what @staysail said. Marc Guillemot (finished 4th) was given redress for standing by Yann Elies when he broke his leg.

ah ok, I stand corrected, 3rd on the water

27 minutes ago, minca3 said:

Another thought: AT repairs the rudder while at anchor at Tristan de Cunha, Beyou catches up, AT rejoins  and we finally get the battle of the 2 black boats?

(yes, I'm trying to find new interest in the race now that its decided who will win...)

...You know there's about 30 other boats to follow? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rafael said:

Alex-Thomson-profile-sailing.thumb.jpg.c05d40084c0ebb5e2bd31c90da3f26d9.jpg

Special Offer... This Christmas, if you purchase a fancy HB suit, you'll get a Starboard foil, a fucked rudder and a fine selection of carbon plates

Do the Welsh button both buttons?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Varan said:

JLC had already sailed 1000nm less than APIVIA, but I guess there are no short cuttings soon and not in the SO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KingMonkey said:

So how complex is the job of replacing the fuse? Assume it is more than this. 

There are different systems but most have a hook at the end of a ~100mm shaft.  The hook is attached to the boat and a rod attached to the rudder bottom plate.  The flex in the titanium or sometimes carbon allows the rudder to be released.  To reset it you just pull the rudder back down.  I don't know how the system works on HB so it could be different.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Coconuts.is said:

There are different systems but most have a hook at the end of a ~100mm shaft. 

Thanks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, minca3 said:

The rudders are symmetrical but would be nearly impossible and unpractical to switch them every time you tack.  It would also be super risky to sail with just one rudder.  All boats keep both rudders down unless the condition are calm.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts.is said:

The rudders are symmetrical but would be nearly impossible and unpractical to switch them every time you tack.  It would also be super risky to sail with just one rudder.  All boats keep both rudders down unless the condition are calm.

nope. 

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Buck Turgidson said:

nope. 

Like I said calm conditions.  15-20kts in souther ocean is calm.

2 hours ago, LeoV said:

Can almost not believe this will be only the 8th person to win a VG

Lost me at "8th."

Are you pointing out that the person who is in 8th at this time, Seb Simon, might be like _____, who went on to win the VG in _______(some year )?

Sounds interesting.

47 minutes ago, stief said:

Let's see what Verdier has to say about the foils

No real news, no rudder winglets for 2024 as posted earlier. A shame as this would stabilize the boats a great deal and reduce some of those violent slamming loads. They may allow trim tabs on the foils eventually, which Verdier says is less energy to trim. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stief said:

Lost me at "8th."

Are you pointing out that the person who is in 8th at this time, Seb Simon, might be like _____, who went on to win the VG in _______(some year )?

Sounds interesting.

No, this is the 8th edition of the race, so whoever wins will only be the 8th winner.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Icedtea said:

You know there's about 30 other boats to follow? 

Yes. Wondering who will be like Enda O'Coineen this time. Followed his race for  ~1.5 years before he unofficially finished. That was bizarre.

8 minutes ago, samc99us said:

No, this is the 8th edition of the race, so whoever wins will only be the 8th winner.

this is the 9th edition and we will have the 8th person to win it. 

• Like 1