bigrpowr

Vendee Globe 2020

My AIS 406 PLB won't talk to my 125.1 MHz low altitude satellite because it picked up on the GPS EPIRB frequency some interference on the Cospas Satellites along with chatter from McMurdo on the 243 MHz frequency...

Take it to another thread, its gotten way past boring and is now really fucking annoying!

• Like 3

Looks like Tripon will be able to follow a near optimum course along the ice limit - hopefully he will be able to catch up with the pack and show his skills.

tripon.png

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Miffy said:

So what's the Wednesday summary?

1. Arkea Paprec hit something and broke a foil/bearing/casing 
2. No news is good news on board Apivia?
3. LinkedOut is hobbled but not really showing signs of weakness 
4. Louis Burton putting in some serious miles in the south that no one else is trying at the moment

5. Tripon has been knocking on 500nm/day for a couple of days

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Corryvreckan said:

FFS, people, will you Just. Let. It. Go.

Hate to see such misinformation spewed by these SA 'experts'...

The worlds of Aero and Nautical are conjoined, especially in this context.

In the wake of the MH 370 disappearance, 121.5 will continue to have a place in emergency location.

https://www.flyht.com/_resources/media/127_FLTOPS_A.pdf

https://www.icao.int/safety/globaltracking/Documents/AHWG Report on Aircraft Tracking Concept of Operations -V5 Final.pdf

https://flightsafety.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Session-II_Claude-Pichavant.pdf

adfr.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bebmoumoute said:

Looks like Tripon will be able to follow a near optimum course along the ice limit - hopefully he will be able to catch up with the pack and show his skills.

I'm hoping for the same, but seeing a wall of light wind in his future.  He's going to need to make a difficult transition somehow, or he'll slow down to watch the fleet get away again while the boats he has passed catch back up with the new wind.

• Like 1

Alternative topics welcome (I don't mind the tech talk, especially about safety equipment).

Andi on the Live mentioned Pip Hare's White Knight Sponsor

Assumed it was Medallia, but also read that Smartsheet sponsored Pip. Medallia and Spreadsheet seem to be competitors . . . Nah, that's a rabbit hole.

Back to the race and weather routing

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Miffy said:

So what's the Wednesday summary?

1. Arkea Paprec hit something and broke a foil/bearing/casing 
2. No news is good news on board Apivia?
3. LinkedOut is hobbled but not really showing signs of weakness 
4. Louis Burton putting in some serious miles in the south that no one else is trying at the moment

20 minutes ago, r.finn said:

5. Tripon has been knocking on 500nm/day for a couple of days

6. JLC and Damine Seguin continue to impress
7. Maxime Sorel pulled away from Clarisse Cremer

8. Alan Roura lost some serious miles to Stephane Le Diraison

9. Kojiro Shiraishi woke up yesterday and decided that he wants to go 3kn faster than usual. good on him!

10. JB only 250nm away from not being called last anymore

11. 600 gruelling miles left for AT

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, minca3 said:

6. JLC and Damine Seguin continue to impress
7. Maxime Sorel pulled away from Clarisse Cremer

8. Alan Roura lost some serious miles to Stephane Le Diraison

9. Kojiro Shiraishi woke up yesterday and decided that he wants to go 3kn faster than usual. good on him!

10. JB only 250nm away from not being called last anymore

11. MASCF vs Initiatives Coeur - the girls are going at it hammer and tongs. (insert own joke as required) 

For fuck's sake, after the reenactments of the Napoleonic wars can both newbies and old salts here please stop the technical-detailed-nit-picking war regarding planes, satellites, DSC, SART, EPIRB,  PLB, whatever it is in this thread? Start your own thread and do the dick contest there who know's what about something a lot of people don't want to know, or care about. But still have to go through reading. This threaddrift becomes unreadable and very, very irritating. If this continues I'll have say goodbye to this thread because of the very negative I-know-it-better dickswinging energy and my irritation which is at a level 90% / just bearable. Life is too short and valuable for this kind of stuff. I know now again why I have been absent for a long time here in the forums.

• Like 26

3 minutes ago, Buck Turgidson said:

11. MASCF vs Initiatives Coeur - the girls are going at it hammer and tongs. (insert own joke as required) 

13. Pip figured out why AT wanted the closed cockpit

screen.png

• Like 1

12 : Out of the 8 new boats,  Apivia is the only one trouble free 

2 minutes ago, BozoC said:

12 : Out of the 8 new boats,  Apivia is the only one trouble free 

Not a fact. Common for the French to stay silent on issues, least their competitors gain an advantage.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, minca3 said:

13. Pip figured out why AT wanted the closed cockpit

screen.png

14. The promised speed festival of the new foilers is MIA. No 30kn averages as far as the eye can see

Just now, Herman said:

For fuck's sake, after the reenactments of the Napoleonic wars can both newbies and old salts here please stop the technical-detailed-nit-picking war regarding planes, satellites, DSC, SART, EPIRB,  PLB, whatever it is in this thread? Start your own thread and do the dick contest there who know's what about something a lot of people don't want to know, or care about. But still have to go through reading. This threaddrift becomes unreadable and very, very irritating. If this continues I'll have say goodbye to this thread because of the very negative I-know-it-better dickswinging energy and my irritation which is at a level 90% / just bearable. Life is too short and valuable for this kind of stuff. I know now again why I have been absent for a long time here in the forums.

Three days now I've just been getting into the looking at your routing, and let myself get distracted. 

Hmmm. Rather than walk away, shall we start our own weather routing thread? Many of us like that part. You fill the UTC +1 slots nicely, Hitch and I are -6 or 7, and some down under are +11 or thereabouts. Looks like there are quite a few others who can contribute content, rather than sneers.

What say you? I think you should start it, or I can if you prefer.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, minca3 said:

14. The promised speed festival of the new foilers is MIA. No 30kn averages as far as the eye can see

I don’t think they were promising sustained averages - but when 2016 Hugo Boss dropped the 530nm day, jaws dropped. In this edition, we’ve seen multiple boats hit 500nm and no one seems to be even in optimal pushing conditions yet. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, minca3 said:

Dalin discusses learning to slow the boat down in the last few minutes of the Live. "Never before have had to do that"

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Laurent said:

Message to Herman

Please don't go away...

Agree. Was dreary without him when he left the VOR threads. Few here spend the hours looking at the routing so carefully and sharing the work.

oops--apologies Laurent. Forgot to mention the years and hours you've spent keeping the FR reports accessible for us. 

Edited by stief
messed up crediting Laurent
  • Like 5

44 minutes ago, Bebmoumoute said:

Which pack? The one in the front of the race? Highly doubt it. The two in front of him? Probably. The other two further forward? Maybe. Him being one or two LPs behind means he either will get the HPs the other fall in as well or the ones in front will catch every LP he falls off.

6 minutes ago, Laurent said:

Message to Herman and stief:

Please don't go away...

I agree....Like taking a college class, but I'm learning

^^ Cool video - no words - of JB climbing up an outrigger (fast it seems)!

Edited by WLIS Jibing
Thanks, Laurent for pointing out this was not the mast!
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, WLIS Jibing said:

^^ Cool video - no words - of JB climbing up the mast (fast it seems)!

It is not the mast, it is the outrigger... :D

But it is still a cool video

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Nixon said:

I think that there may be some transaltion / naming issues.

My understanding:

• EPIRB: Talks to COSPAS satelites on 406 MHz, may also have some low power 121.5 MHz comms for aircraft to find beacon
  • PLB: Talks to COSPAS satelites on 406 MHz, may also have some low power 121.5 MHz comms for aircraft to find beacon, generally in a 'attach to body' form-factor
  • AIS personal beacon: Designed to communicate with AIS systems over VHF frequencies, no satellite comms

There are units that combine the PLB and AIS - https://www.plastimo.com/en/balise-individuelle-ais-srs-safelink-r10.html

Also my understanding. 

Thats why you’ll have to register your PLB the same way you register an EPIRB - it is a small EPIRB. The AIS MOB unit is “registered” by programming it to identify itself over digital VHF. 

• Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, WLIS Jibing said:

^^ Cool video - no words - of JB climbing up the mast (fast it seems)!

I believe that is the reaching strut he is going out on. Horizontal. Funny camera angle. 

• Like 1

Isabelle cut Sam's lead in half since the last sched report (as shown on the tracker).  She has been consistently faster.  Is this boat design difference, sailing choices, and/or Isabelle just pushing it that little bit harder?  Between those two (who may pass pedote) and the fab four all line up just ahead, this is amazing how close after all these miles.

• Like 1

The original info in French on Apvivia's accident says that the foil bearing and the foil casing are no longer solidly attached to the hull. He laid the boat over, on starboard tack I guess, to reduce water ingress. Tracker shows him in that gybe for a while, but latest shows back on port. Has he stemmed the flow? Fixed the immediate problem? Discovered it isn't as bad as first thought? If the foil casing / box / tunnel - whatever you like to call it, is detached from the hull, he is probably in deep shit? But still doing +/- 10 knots ...

10 minutes ago, Laurent said:

It is not the mast, it is the outrigger... :D

But it is still a cool video

Would be truly in awe (but not that surprised?) if that was how JB climbed a mast!

3 minutes ago, cms said:

The original info in French on Apvivia's accident says that the foil bearing and the foil casing are no longer solidly attached to the hull. He laid the boat over, on starboard tack I guess, to reduce water ingress. Tracker shows him in that gybe for a while, but latest shows back on port. Has he stemmed the flow? Fixed the immediate problem? Discovered it isn't as bad as first thought? If the foil casing / box / tunnel - whatever you like to call it, is detached from the hull, he is probably in deep shit? But still doing +/- 10 knots ...

You mean Arkea?

It occurs to me he might want to head north away from the worst of the winds, and might be balancing that against the problems of being on starbord.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cms said:

You mean ARKEA PAPREC, not Apivia I hope? Unless we all missed that announcement?

Sorry, yes Arkea Paprec. started with the correct letter then went dyslexic ...

36 minutes ago, samc99us said:

Not a fact. Common for the French to stay silent on issues, least their competitors gain an advantage.

Mer agitée, the team of Charlie Dalin led by François Gabart is famous for not telling anything about technical issues to not give any clue to the other competitors

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, BozoC said:

12 : Out of the 8 new boats,  Apivia is the only one trouble free not talking.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

Got to like the Tillandasia

[aside:] the English subtitles are preloaded--no 5-click hell.  @TheDragon, if you found out how to do that, please share such a sweet trick. If it's the VG folks, THANKS--please make that the standard!

7 minutes ago, stief said:

[aside:] the English subtitles are preloaded--no 5-click hell.  @TheDragon, if you found out how to do that, please share such a sweet trick. If it's the VG folks, THANKS--please make that the standard!

Not me, just wish VG would do that for all their videos on YouTube.

• Like 1

I brazenly predict the upcoming sked shows Dalin gybed. (cheated by a quick check on MT, thanks to Herman's heads-up)

Edited by stief
added link to Herman's post

22 minutes ago, stief said:

Sob. ;) What coulda been . . .

1063859915_ScreenShot2020-12-02at10_45_07AM.thumb.png.2d18b2a26ff1d1e1b24d819375cda049.png

You of all people should be used to it by now.

13 minutes ago, Varan said:

You of all people should be used to it by now.

Laugh it up, wise guy :lol:

Too true. At least Brisbane Bill made his goal (4 years later). 

3 hours ago, TPG said:

JK boats are cursed!

FTFY

2 hours ago, tallyho said:

My AIS 406 PLB won't talk to my 125.1 MHz low altitude satellite because it picked up on the GPS EPIRB frequency some interference on the Cospas Satellites along with chatter from McMurdo on the 243 MHz frequency...

QUIT IT WITH THE FUCKING EPIRB BULLSHIT

Sebastien Simon on Arkena Paprec again on the damaged side and slowing at the end of the report.

7 minutes ago, jackolantern said:

FTFY

QUIT IT WITH THE FUCKING EPIRB BULLSHIT

Re read the post and try again

Everyone in the front pack is escaping towrds the NE, I wonder how badly will Louis Burton will be affected as he will be a fair bit further south than the others and probably see stronger winds and bigger waves.

Just wondering, on most of the boats, is it possible to jettison the foil entirely if it was damaged enough to either be useless or dangerous?

Seems like the amount of UFOs is increasing exponentially from previous years? 

If it were all shipping containers though I think the damage would be greater than damage to one foil.

Just now, Bebmoumoute said:

Everyone in the front pack is escaping towrds the NE, I wonder how badly will Louis Burton will be affected as he will be a fair bit further south than the others and probably see stronger winds and bigger waves.

Dumard agrees

It is Louis Burton who will be in the roughest conditions today with 35 knots of wind gusting to 45 knots whipping up 7m high seas tonight, as he wriggles his way along the edge of the Ice Exclusion Zone. Bureau Vallée 2 has taken the shortest route, but the one that is also the most demanding. He has consolidated his third place in the rankings today (without taking into account the redress to be given to the skippers who were involved in the rescue of Kevin Escoffier.

https://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/20745/meteo-analysis-with-christian-dumard

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cortosam said:

Ofni means whale ? I heard they kill a lot of marine animals sailing thoses races

Randoms twin troll has appeared.

• Downvote 1

5 hours ago, stief said:
16 hours ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Random...?

Yup. You and Jack called it. Same MO as Randum. 

-- doesn't post any content. (TBH, I think there was something 3 years ago)

--trolls many forums and threads, usually PA sewers.

--asks inflammatory questions, like "So what you're saying is [insert deliberate misinterpretation] . .. "

--never cares about the answers, only wants to wind up chumps who will bite 

-needy, hoping to be seen as worthy.

--Worthy of the ignore button.

Its him alright, nothing changes.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Bluebear said:

it's most- probably a whale 

they should realy work on avoidance systems for the next race

Or better recipes.

• Downvote 1

5 hours ago, LeoV said:

So funny, if somebody yells something stupid on the street, you just pass them, and do not engage them. But on the internet we (not all) act differently...

Depends on which street, some places that'll earn a smack in the mouth or more.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, JonRowe said:

internet_vs_reality.gif

not always.

• Downvote 1

Comparing both trackers we might see some media from Charal and Sodebo Ultime. Seems like they got reasonably close to each other

3 minutes ago, Chasm said:

Comparing both trackers we might see some media from Charal and Sodebo Ultime. Seems like they got reasonably close to each other

Estimate on the JVT thread was they were about 5nm apart. Probably too far for any interesting footage. May get lucky and see a shot of a smudge on the horizon. Or even of a boat icon on AIS?
Fingers crossed there are at least a couple of close passes as Sodebo go through the VG fleet though.

43 minutes ago, stief said:

It is Louis Burton who will be in the roughest conditions today with 35 knots of wind gusting to 45 knots whipping up 7m high seas tonight, as he wriggles his way along the edge of the Ice Exclusion Zone. Bureau Vallée 2 has taken the shortest route, but the one that is also the most demanding

Would all the posters who want to say "he pushed too hard/ he went too close to the centre/ice line/ etc" kindly say so now? Might save a few pages of "I, I, I knew it!" later. 

Good on Burton. He's a test pilot who knows himself and his boat better than any here.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Hitchhiker said:

How old was that quote?  Bureau is ranked second in the 1700 update.

Published 02 December 2020 - 14:13 (FR time I guess, so about 5 hrs ago)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JonRowe said:
19 hours ago, Nixon said:

There are units that combine the PLB and AIS - https://www.plastimo.com/en/balise-individuelle-ais-srs-safelink-r10.html

Unless I'm mistaken that is an AIS PLB. Not an (406MHz) EPIRB PLB. Having GPS just means it can send useful data over AIS.

Then there is also AIS PLBs which you explain the problems with very well, however they also have a succinct benefit in that you can get the signal locally (even if that is as you say only a few miles) unlike an EPIRB PLB which requires being related via satellite.

"Having GPS just means it can send useful data over AIS."

With no GPS there is NO fucking AIS PLB.

@shanghaisailor this is your fucking fault and mess I'm cleaning up here. :D

PLB is an overloaded term.

There are 406MHz EPIRB PLB's, the only difference to your boat PLB is the battery life requirements, they typically only last a few hours as opposed to a mandated 48hours. Aussies love them and are mandated for offshore racing there.

406 PLB's batt last more than a few hours and are subject to the same parallel, but different regulations as EPIRB's that allow them to utilise the GMDSS system. Regulatory differences include switching and testing etc. They are NOT a toy. 

PLB is an overloaded term.

8 hours ago, pilot said:

Here is a lot of confusion around terms. To avoid the confusion we need to look at this in historic aspect:

Jon is right the term overloaded.

Pilot is dead right about confusion.

There is misinformation generated innocently by people like Shang and you Jon. There is also the bullshitters like Turd.  

The historical aspect and love of common names by regulators and the market is the starting point to this fuckup that cooks the brain of normally sensible people.

First there were EPIRB's and there still are EPIRBs with only regulatory change the wireless spectrum they use. They are used to make vessels GMDSS compliant.

First there are MOB Beacons or MOBB's

The MOBB's were proprietory unregulated wireless products involving a base station on the vessel and a wearer beacon. At a nominated distance away from the base station an alarm would sound on board for a MOB.

They had no location ability. 

Then when 406 MHz EPIRB standard arrived around 10 years some industry bright spark came up with a small EPIRB personal device to use that spectrum and access the GMDSS network. Regulators went OK and regulations drafted country by country just like the EPIRB.

The regulations parallel but different. The PLB term was coined by industry and or with the agreement of regulators. 

So far so good PLB name one (1) device.

Then some industry bright spark thought about using AIS VHF spectrum to create a AIS personal locator beacon. The communication regulators obliged and marine safety regulators to allow it to access the GMDSS system but not part of compliance which applies to vessels. So other than spectrum licencing not a lot of regulation.

So manufacturers thought we shall call it a PLB too. At that point they should have taken the wireless MOB Beacon and added some locator indicator like MOBLB but the fuckwits didn't. Hence the confusion starts. 

So same PLB name for two (2) completely different devices.

Now same industry bright spark thinks up a dual 406 and AIS personel locator beacon. However these are not yet approved or produced.

These are MORE regulated than AIS PLB's. Some enthusiastic manufacturers produced online brochures for something that doesn't exist. Idiots like Turd with armchair sailing experience grab hold of that shit and sprout their bullshit here as gospel.

So now same PLB name for three (3) completely different devices. If approved I doubt the PLB name will survive. Industry and regulators will come up with something to differentiate like DUO PLB or some shit.

So no wonder the fucking confusion and so many fucking posts here.

Hopefully that's the fucking end.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, stief said:

Three days now I've just been getting into the looking at your routing, and let myself get distracted. 

Hmmm. Rather than walk away, shall we start our own weather routing thread? Many of us like that part. You fill the UTC +1 slots nicely, Hitch and I are -6 or 7, and some down under are +11 or thereabouts. Looks like there are quite a few others who can contribute content, rather than sneers.

What say you? I think you should start it, or I can if you prefer.

You have a PM.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stief said:

Head's up. Alexa Barriere and her GoPro goes up the mast

Women with a gap in their front teeth drive me crazy. Stop that Stief. 

Photo_27_27e0fa51e9f77d26cf27d573e12ca64e.png

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Stop that Stief.

You stop it. Sheesh, you just couldn't resist, could you? Behave yourself, or start a troll thread where you can direct all Randum posts. :lol:

Now, back to the race.

And Chaucer pointed out that the Wif of Bath was gap-toothed long ago.

• Like 1

Isabelle can smell an opportunity to finish ahead of Sam.  That probably wasn't on very many peoples radar at the start, but she proved she can get it done when since finished 3rd in the Arctique race a few months ago.  Nevermind that her humble surprise at finishing 3rd was very endearing.  Ironically Sam finished 2nd in that race, but...

I mentioned 2 days ago when she was 100nm behind Sam that at her current pace she would catch Sam in 2 days.  She is not 17nm behind and going faster in the same conditions.  

I'd love to see them both do well, but kind of like seeing Isabelle the underdog do so well.  

I do think Sam has an issue she hasn't disclosed.  Her speed relative to other boats just doesn't match with earlier in the race.

• Like 5

So, I have moved the routing waypoint to a completely random point beyond the Kergs.  

Routing for the top three at the moment and have been taking updates for 0400, 1700 and 2100 for tracking.

Also recording Boss and Cam for curiosity only.

One note, when the race started I was noting TWA and BS for Boss at every update with the idea of building Polars based on those numbers. Then I started recording for all the top five boats pretty much every update. I have filled 11 pages of a note book which I then transcribed into a polar file.  Very rudimentary and somewhat of a medieval approach for sure. But, I found and posted some pics earlier, before Boss broke down and then had the rudder failure, that the results were getting pretty close to actual position reports.

So, where am I going with all this waffle?  In the last few days using Boss polars to route the top three, they cannot match the  polar speeds of Boss.  I'm currently trying to adjust and running at 97% in the day and 96% night.  But, they still seem slower.  Probably completely meaningless dross really.  I may have a go at recording the Apivia numbers and see what happens. 

IMG_5119.jpg

Vendee20.JPG

• Like 7

That's a ton of work, Hitch. Thanks for the proof.

Re routing waypoints ahead. Volodia (and Geoville, IIRC), are using the tracks of the last VG. Might that help?

• Like 1

Just now, stief said:

That's a ton of work, Hitch. Thanks for the proof.

Re routing waypoints ahead. Volodia (and Geoville, IIRC), are using the tacks of the last VG. Might that help?

I'll look into that.  Right now I'm going for a bike ride!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

So no wonder the fucking confusion and so many fucking posts here.

Hopefully that's the fucking end.

Fucking hope so:P

• Downvote 1

Mad--you're playing around with Zezo, right? Just wondering how easily the Virtual boats can check Zezo routes and polars against the actual boats.

New video from Seb on Facebook. Some pretty substantial damage to the board box and a bunch of water in the boat. :blink:

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, stief said:

And Chaucer pointed out that the Wif of Bath was gap-toothed long ago.

Yblessed be God that I have wedded fyve! Welcome the sixte, whan that evere he shall. For sothe I wol nat kepe me chaast in al. Whan myn housbonde is fro the world ygon, Som cristen man shal wedde me

Stief posting in medevial is too exhausting.

48 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Women with a gap in their front teeth drive me crazy. Stop that Stief. 

Photo_27_27e0fa51e9f77d26cf27d573e12ca64e.png

are you sure there is a gap? What I could see, there is no gap. Not even a millimeter. 

Why I Don't Mind the Gap (Between My Front Teeth)

39 minutes ago, Roleur said:

I do think Sam has an issue she hasn't disclosed.  Her speed relative to other boats just doesn't match with earlier in the race.

When she and Louis 'unhooked' late last week something happened. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TPG said:

New video from Seb on Facebook. Some pretty substantial damage to the board box and a bunch of water in the boat. :blink:

Yikes!  Can anyone translate?  

37 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

I'll look into that.  Right now I'm going for a bike ride!

Thanks for that work you put into it!

19 minutes ago, TPG said:

Hope this isn't an escalation. He seems safe (still checking if this latest translated  update on the Arkea page has anything different from the info given 9 hrs ago. "Horn" is ? foil stub? )

Since this morning and the shock with a OFNI at 9:20 a.m.HF, Sébastien Simon has put the race on hold. It progresses with the mainsail collapsed (only the horn remains) and under tormentine (small storm sail). Safety now takes precedence on board ARKEA PAPREC.

Given the very muscular sailing conditions to come (more than 30-35 knots of wind, 5 meters of trough), Sébastien, in agreement with his team, decided to head north to move away from the strongest wind and sea. It is a matter for tonight to be able to secure the boat as much as possible, damaged at the starboard foil. The objective is to solicit ARKEA PAPREC as little as possible by limiting its speed of progress and the associated constraints during the passage of the front tonight and to escape the bulk of the depression tonight. Tomorrow, in an area where the 60 feet will be less abused by the waves and the strong wind, Sébastien will then be able to study more serenely the possibilities of repair and set up the different scenarios under study with his team ashore.

More information to follow.

https://www.teamarkeapaprec.com/actualites/161/arkea-paprec-fait-route-pour-se-mettre-a-l-abri-et-gerer-les-degats-sur-le-foil

16 minutes ago, TPG said:

Apart from what we already know, he is heading North to go away from the high winds/waves and is going to wait for the hifh pressure to catch on him to try and repair.

That campaign is really cursed, after all the foil manufacturing issues, Sébastien was finally getting in the rythm and showing what he can do. Hope he can somehow repair and finish.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, stief said:

Hope this isn't an escalation. He seems safe (still checking if this latest translated  update on the Area page has anything different from the info given 9 hrs ago. "Horn" is storm jib, I think. )

https://www.teamarkeapaprec.com/actualites/161/arkea-paprec-fait-route-pour-se-mettre-a-l-abri-et-gerer-les-degats-sur-le-foil

He seems to have part of his main up in the video, so I suspect his main is mostly reefed, with just the top corner deployed

Ouch, tall order to sail on port tack in strong winds with a hole on starboard, even canting the keel completely to port surely could not keep the water out? Hence the tiny jib only but still.

17 minutes ago, troll99 said:

are you sure there is a gap? What I could see, there is no gap. Not even a millimeter. 

Google Cheryl Rae Tiegs 1970's.

Not current as she would be over 70 now and those teeth maybe aren't hers anymore. :lol:

From my untrained Social Studies teacher perspective, it looks more like the foil may have taken an impact on something instead of structural failure like HG and PRB. 

I hope he is safe and maybe able to repair and continue.  But at the very least, be safe.

View this email in your browser
dec8a1fa-6b6a-4a36-b1a0-4e0861ddfff0.jpg         Armel Tripon Black Pepper® Y achts  b48f0c4b-a16f-4e7c-93df-31cb92014800.png
5b966c9b-c898-4341-b27f-a7a75b1dc8c4.png
Armel's last 48 hours in the Vendée Globe are magical! He navigates the Roaring Forties, at high speed with extreme concentration.
It hasn't slept overnight, has surfed at over 27 knots, and is the fastest in the fleet with 484 miles covered in 24 hours! His weather strategy worked and his bet was won: stay in front of the front as long as possible; this gives him a clear advantage over his close rivals and will allow him to gain miles from the boats in front of him.
8ccbbe63-0cd5-421b-9f8f-32844976ce20.jpg
The rescue of Kevin Escoffier by Jean Le Cam reminds us once again that the Vendée Globe is an extreme adventure; the one Armel has been living intensely since entering the Roaring Forties! The skipper of L'Occitane en Provence is currently reaping the fruits of this option and his commitment by being the fastest in the fleet with 484 miles covered in 24 hours, or nearly 900 kilometers; In addition, L'Occitane en Provence now points to the 19 th place!

“Bet won. I managed to stay in front of the front! "

The strategy of Armel who was to go for the downwind very west along Brazil's then very south is about to bear fruit. Here is what he told us this Wednesday morning, December 2, and these are strong words:
“  Successful bet! I managed to stay in front of the front! I was on the pressure, on the 1013 hp (sailing at atmospheric pressure watching the barometer) all night. I did not sleep, physically I am in a strange state… But it's great! This is the first time that I am in front of a front like that on the attack and that I manage to stay there! It's a great first *! And it's also a first for me to sail in the Forties! ".
* ndr The speeds of classic monohulls do not always allow it because the weather systems often move too fast for this kind of exercise usually reserved for large multihulls).

812533e0-e62f-44e6-80bb-58380acf2720.jpg

“I attacked all night. Surf at 27, 28 knots… demonic! "

Armel continues: " It's great to share this with you. I attacked all night. The boat was going in surfs at 27, even 28 knots ... it was devilish! The sea was calm, it was time to push the boat, and he responded perfectly. I'll do a check later, but so far I haven't broken anything in this cavalcade. Under these conditions, it was the baptism of the boat and also the baptism of the Tripon for this entry with fanfare into the Great South (he bursts out laughing). It's awesome ! "

" I'll be like a kid when I see my first albatross "

It's great and it pays off, because not only is the group of four boats he was looking to overtake from the Horn of Brazil now in the wake, but Armel has also come very close (by a hundred miles in 48 hours) of the next competitors ahead of him to catch up, [Stéphane Le Diraison and the Swiss Alan Roura]; They are still a little over 400 miles ahead of him and it will take time, step by step, Armel nibbles all he can and shows the potential of the Manuard plan built by Black Pepper."Of course I have a little slack when I think I might be fighting at the forefront, but it only lasts a few seconds, especially compared to the problems of Kevin and all the others who have had more or less serious sea fortunes… What matters to me is to fight here and now, to write the best possible story. It is not nothing to be in the Great South alone to go around the world. I am doing my best ! »
Armel is also amazed by the scenery s seas and powerful s strong winds, sign roaring Forties. He impatiently awaits his first albatross, a very strong symbol for the rare sailors who dare to go to face these icy sea deserts around Antarctica."I'm in the Forties, maybe my first albatross is for today. I swear to you that I will watch them. I will be like a kid when I go to see him, I can't wait! I'll leave you, I'll go back. The adventure continues and it is beautiful! Kisses to everyone and thank you for the support! "

Edge video

fc0fc20e-975c-4d1d-99a2-18b82bf2c46a.jpg

"A huge relief"

Armel reacts to Kevin Escoffier's rescue: “Having already looked for a man overboard, I know how difficult it is…”
Relief after a night of anguish in the Vendée Globe: Kevin Escoffier, boat broken in two, was recovered from his liferaft by Jean Le Cam after hours of searching through the night.