bigrpowr

Vendee Globe 2020

5 minutes ago, ant1 said:

There are no details upthread, just a random guy on an internet forum that made up a story...there is no such interview on M6... and can't find a single other source, anywhere, that even hints at that

Thanks for checking. I couldn't. It seemed likely when JLC's cheek looked OK in the next vid I saw.

Cool vid of Bestaven catching up big miles from the leader while enjoying his submarine surf mode in the southern indian swell (!)

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, stief said:

Thanks for checking. I couldn't. It seemed likely when JLC's cheek seemed OK in the next vid I saw.

Actually, after really digging, he did tell m6 it was a joke... ! Strangely it hasn't been picked up by any other sources since...

At 2:25 he says it was a joke

Well... they got me good :)

He must have hurt his cheek some other way since he has antibiotic cream over a scar in the video preparing for the nivose

• Like 3

Good reasons by Amadeo for not continuing, though he could. Clear enough, even through gtrans

It is possible to continue the old way, without information and thus cross the South Seas. Let yourself be pushed by the elements for a month towards Cape Horn. But our foil boats are devilish in strong winds and I want to be able to sail according to a principle that has always been mine:as a good sailor and having the feeling of controlling my safety and that of my boat. So I decided to stop my Vendée Globe in Cape Town. It was a decision that was difficult to take but that I take responsibility for.

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, ant1 said:

There are no details upthread, just a random guy on an internet forum that made up a story...there is no such interview on M6... and can't find a single other source, anywhere, that even hints at that

The "random guy", as you called him, posted here and he never make stories ..... Glad you found the video by yourself 

• Like 3

Dalin is looking really fast on the latest sked - 23 knots.  I wonder if he is trying to regain the lead that got eaten up the last few hours.  Is he taking risks that he did not want to take just to regain that buffer?  Or is he just in better conditions?  Or a combination?

13 minutes ago, stief said:

Glad the JLC joke is cleared up.

Anyway, T&S promises good reading today, again.

For Kevin's boat, Verdier is more or less saying that it is JuanK that fucked up when he added the foils ... ;)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, yl75 said:

For Kevin's boat, Verdier is more or less saying that it is JuanK that fucked up when he added the foils ... ;)

Saw that, and snickered. More politics, bleagh. 

57 minutes ago, Bebmoumoute said:

Amedeo retires

All he needs is a really big bungee cord :-)

1484077497_JoshBoat.jpg.abb2789943855b3982f0f495ccc731ba.jpg1793614134_JoshGhyselincks2.jpg.cd454091b2c9e424624868034ee29994.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stief said:

Saw that, and snickered. More politics, bleagh. 

I mean they kind of have to respond when certain folks were going off talking about PRB being a VPLP/Verdier creation (including some in this forum) AFTER something went wrong while during the build up, JuanK was being paraded around podcasts, media for his role with PRB, AP and Corum. Some people call it politics, other ppl call it correcting the record because some folks have a history of pirouetting away from failures and it is always someone elses' fault. Where's Juan now? Thought he loved talked to Ocean Race & VG media folks. 

• Like 3
  • Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, Bebmoumoute said:

Updated table (data from https://twitter.com/skol33)

VG.png

For the Class of 04/05, we had the highest graduation rate...;-)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Miffy said:

I mean they kind of have to respond when certain folks were going off talking about PRB being a VPLP/Verdier creation (including some in this forum) AFTER something went wrong while during the build up, JuanK was being paraded around podcasts, media for his role with PRB, AP and Corum. Some people call it politics, other ppl call it correcting the record because some folks have a history of pirouetting away from failures and it is always someone elses' fault.

Good point. Expect it will be years, if ever, that Juan K's rep is ever truly known. 

Liked this bit by JLC's wife. 

Neither God nor master

The improbable exchange, the result of an initiative by the Elysée, was secretly coordinated by the organization of the race then Anne Le Cam, Jean's wife, who is delighted without getting any glory.

“It was really funny. I'm a bit like Jean on this, I'm not going to fall from the clouds even if he's the President of the Republic. But it was really cool that there was recognition for two amazing people in the truest sense of the word. "

The speech sticks with the idea she has of her husband, a man whose merit is, she says, to speak in the same way to President Macron as to the gardener. “There is no god, only human beings. The Cam only has high esteem for the seas and oceans of the Globe, which he knows he is at the mercy of every time he sets off for a round-the-world trip on his sailboat. "It's not for nothing that he offers a Chateau-Thénac to Neptune and not Préfontaine," laughs Anne, who nevertheless refrains from intellectualizing her relationship to the sea. "It's his life, it's his work is his tool. Oceans and seas are part of his profession. He knows that he doesn't have a poetic relationship with the sea. Sometimes he's amazed, he thinks it's beautiful but he's not going to overdo it. "

gtrans https://a4bsnbvhuot3dzt2slku24f6di--www-20minutes-fr.translate.goog/sport/2923499-20201204-vendee-globe-vieux-loup-mer-rigolard-competiteur-mille-visages-roi-jean-cam Cred to T&S for the heads up

• Like 8

Wish I understood French or that autotranslate was better than useless. Ruyant appears to have needed to drop his main.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

Wish I understood French or that autotranslate was better than useless. Ruyant appears to have needed to drop his main.

Looked ripped, but maybe batten adjustment? He ends by saying all's well, so that was good.

17 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

With the pounding it gives a good idea how hard life aboard an Imoca over there is.
He doesn't appear to be bothered by coid. Cold makes the situation worse.

8 hours ago, Herman said:

Weather update

Dalin and Ruyant in lighter winds now compared to the followers. Lady Fortuna rolled the dice again, and Dalin seems to have won a very small private HP zone. See pic 1. Which was not projected yesterday by GFS, see pic 4. 

I saw that HP zone earlier in the week and made some uneducated guess that the leaders and the peloton would compress. So, I was surprised when you posted your routing yesterday and stated that the "rich are getting richer." I looked again at the weather and indeed the HP seemed to have disappeared. And here it is again... It reappeared actually last night (Pacific time zone) in the forecasts. 

Nice little insight into how the teams let the race direction know not to worry about tracker changes.

Antoine Carraz also made the link with the race director who is not necessarily directly with the boat but who is watching: “That night, when Charlie sent me a message to tell me that things were going well or that he was going to maneuver, I called the race direction so that they wouldn't worry about the speed which has decreased or the heading which has changed ”.

Lots more good stuff about Dalin and his team here

• Like 2

Just now, AnotherSailor said:

I saw that HP zone earlier in the week and made some uneducated guess that the leaders and the peloton would compress. So, I was surprised when you posted your routing yesterday and stated that the "rich are getting richer." I looked again at the weather and indeed the HP seemed to have disappeared. And here it is again... It reappeared actually last night (Pacific time zone) in the forecasts. 

Everyone seems to forget the belgians.
Watch this guy.
Yannick Bestaven on maitre Coq 4.
1418480734_YannickBestaven3.thumb.jpeg.1f0f02faedd668c6b60de47af6c682c9.jpeg
298344499_Maitrecoq4.PNG.e328c311a2760fd534ead43657dba670.PNG
572560318_YannickBestaven2.PNG.cc40d522cd8885eb412a8e45f3626dce.PNG

9 minutes ago, stief said:

Looked ripped, but maybe batten adjustment? He ends by saying all's well, so that was good.

Had to bear away to go to the toilets and change undies.

1 minute ago, Link said:

It's blistering captivating...

29 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

Quickly:

All is well on board. Life is quite hard, i had to bear away to go to the loo and change my pants.

Weather has been better the last couple of days and it feels great to see that it will continue that.

Noting about the main.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Link said:

Chuckled at that. Makes speculating about tracker wobbles entertaining. "Oh no! Did he just shit himself???" :P

2 minutes ago, Schakel said:

It's blistering captivating...

Just exlpained what TR said for those who asked...

2 minutes ago, Link said:

that's something I've been thinking of a lot because it seems that these sailors are like comic heroes, you never watch them going to toilet, nobody talks about it, it's sort of taboo

3 hours ago, Miffy said:

And it has an extremely high possibility of a cascading/escalating failures of increasing severity. No computers? You've lost the ability to quickly send texts, send/receive instructions/diagrams, communication with the shoreteam. Yes satellite voice coms and handheld texts might work but it isn't the same. Ppl who are flippant about it saying "ha ha told you modernity sucks" - well the real comparable situation would be someone tearing up your charts, throwing the sextant on the ground and breaking it then hitting your navigator on the head so hard he's seeing stars. 

I think I am clearly wrong here, but It gave me some thoughts. I suspect that the computers are more integrated into all aspects of the boat that commonly found. I was thinking how a computer failure would affect a class 40 I am somewhat familiar with, of course adrena is a powerful tool, however on that boat if the computer went down, you would lose AIS as there is no dedicated ais display, you would lose the ability to download GRIBS and do your own routing, but you could still get onshore text routing daily or twice daily e-mail from someone like commander weather or simply a trusted buddy with at the very least the ability to get yourself away from dangerous weather.

GPS, RADAR, electronic charting on Ipad, instruments, autopilots, comms via iridium would all still work. I know that getting shoreside routing would require retirement in most races. On that boat losing the computer would be a bummer, but maybe not the emergency that Armedeo is facing. I wonder how much more the computer is in charge of on a modern IMOCA, perhaps the instruments or pilot don't have separate "brains", I'm not sure modern RADAR's have dedicated displays anymore.

1 hour ago, Miffy said:

I mean they kind of have to respond when certain folks were going off talking about PRB being a VPLP/Verdier creation (including some in this forum) AFTER something went wrong while during the build up, JuanK was being paraded around podcasts, media for his role with PRB, AP and Corum. Some people call it politics, other ppl call it correcting the record because some folks have a history of pirouetting away from failures and it is always someone elses' fault. Where's Juan now? Thought he loved talked to Ocean Race & VG media folks. 

Forum politics and whining here from Muppy :rolleyes: 

7 minutes ago, steinbrenner said:

that's something I've been thinking of a lot because it seems that these sailors are like comic heroes, you never watch them going to toilet, nobody talks about it, it's sort of taboo

Alan Roura mentioned it in one of the video presentations of his boat, he explained how to use the blue bucket :)

46 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

He doesn't say anything regarding why he dropped his main, but apparently just some tweaking job, at the end he says the days ahead look better than the previous ones or even previous weeks

2 minutes ago, yl75 said:

He doesn't say anything regarding why he dropped his main, but apparently just some tweaking job, at the end he says the days ahead look better than the previous ones or even previous weeks

He didn´t drop the main mate; il a juste du abattre!

6 minutes ago, Link said:

He didn´t drop the main mate; il a juste du abattre!

That was to take a shit and change his calbute/underwear ! But after that you see him working on his dropped main.

3 minutes ago, Bebmoumoute said:

Did you watch the video ??

Yep. " tout a l heure j ai du abattre pour pouvoir aller aux toilettes et changer de calbute"

1 minute ago, Link said:

Yep. " tout a l heure j ai du abattre pour pouvoir aller aux toilettes et changer de calbute"

Jeannot, achètes des lunettes

This is a main sail (GV) and it's down...

Sans titre.png

3 minutes ago, yl75 said:

That was to take a shit and change his calbut/underwear ! But after that you see him working on his dropped main.

I translated what he said, was only focused on that. My bad, now I saw it, guess he was fixing the lazy jack?

1 minute ago, Bebmoumoute said:

Jeannot, achètes des lunettes

This is a main sail (GV) and it's down...

Sans titre.png

Pas de s à la deuxième personne de l'impératif ! :)

16 minutes ago, yl75 said:

Some coverage mentioned he dropped the main to change some battens 

• Like 2

Wild Hare, go Pip!

7 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Some coverage mentioned he dropped the main to change some battens 

Thanks!

3 hours ago, Rafael said:

Cool vid of Bestaven catching up big miles from the leader while enjoying his submarine surf mode in the southern indian swell (!)

He is very close to Ruyant. 

Tripon only 600 miles from Clarisse.

Anyone have an idea when we'll find out about time corrections for boats that helped in the search and rescue? It seems like this would effect the leaderboard right now?

7 minutes ago, C. Spackler said:

Anyone have an idea when we'll find out about time corrections for boats that helped in the search and rescue? It seems like this would effect the leaderboard right now?

Bot decided yet

24 minutes ago, C. Spackler said:

Personally I don't think it is fair to the folks competing at the front to be told re how much time they need to make up or how much buffer they have to the boats behind them until there's more separation in distance/weather system. People should sail their best w/ the usual prudent seamanship and even if the committee has decided the redress, it should probably be filed away in a sealed envelope and told when the time is right. 

• Like 1

Rather than say "should, should, and should", it is better to say that no information is not received from the Vendee committee or "I don't know".

41 minutes ago, C. Spackler said:

If you look @ the distance sailed by Thomas or Charlie between the crash of Kevin and the restart of JLC (with Kevin), they have more or less sailed 120nM. Yannick is the theoretical leader of the race.  (but the redress will be based on time ...! ) 

re the UFO debate; just heard on a radio science program this morning that the sum total of the weight of man-made artificial materials on the planet now exceeds the sum total of the weight of natural biomass currently on the Earth. missed most of the metrics involved in the data, but the point was stated. jfc, yay us..

• Like 2

Sorry to be missing for a while. The worst thing about the JK First 30 is that its predecessor, the First 31.7 (Figaro I hull) is better in almost every respect. So hardly anyone wanted to buy the new lemon.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stief said:

Great article, its too bad google translate doesn't really do it justice, it always struggles when sentences get a little more poetic.

With respect to skippers balling out to Cape Town, there are a few other places in South Africa like Durban or Richards Bay and you could go to Reunion or Mauritius but they are further north than CT. After Reunion the only place you could go before Oz would be Rodrigues. Pleasant enough place but not much there if you want to repair or get the boat shipped home.

1 minute ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

With respect to skippers balling out to Cape Town, there are a few other places in South Africa like Durban or Richards Bay and you could go to Reunion or Mauritius but they are further north than CT. After Reunion the only place you could go before Oz would be Rodrigues. Pleasant enough place but not much there if you want to repair or get the boat shipped home.

I'm sure Alex would have been happy to go further north and stop off in Mombasa and Diani Beach, a favourite hideaway of his. 

38 minutes ago, cms said:

Sorry to be missing for a while. The worst thing about the JK First 30 is that its predecessor, the First 31.7 (Figaro I hull) is better in almost every respect. So hardly anyone wanted to buy the new lemon.

Why none is talking about VPLP? Because he is french. 

Gunboat yacht is found after a year adrift - Trade Only Today

Alex's boat failed due to the structural miss. Why not talk about it?

Boris slow and heading NE. Bore away to take a really long shit or fix something?

6 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

Boris slow and heading NE. Bore away to take a really long shit or fix something?

Too much freeze dried food?

Are there any other commercial ships going around Cape Horn on a regular schedule other than ‘New Zealand Pacific’?

Non-sailing relative interested in VG read the Rich Wilson rescue story and, wonders if the tail end of the VG fleet have any hope of being rescued if they are too far behind another VG boat and NZ Pacific is weeks away from their location?

Short on time I told her to download AIS and see what’s up.   She’s lurking on SA now!

Another question for boats going solo around the Horn/clipper ship route record chasers: 

How much of an influence would the position of NZ Pacific  play in the timing of fast run around the Horn?

Rich Wilson mentions that he had ‘studied’ the commercial traffic sched etc prior to attempting the Great Northern clipper record.  Did he then knowingly set out from SF planning on being in reasonable rescue distance of NZ Pacific as he rounded The Horn?

Wondering what, if anything, the commercial traffic scheds plays in timing of Maserati’s Clipper route speed records attempts?

Didn't one of the boats in the last VG have an electronics/comms problem and still finished near the front of the fleet? Or was that another race?

36 minutes ago, blunderfull said:

Are there any other commercial ships going around Cape Horn on a regular schedule other than ‘New Zealand Pacific’?

Non-sailing relative interested in VG read the Rich Wilson rescue story and, wonders if the tail end of the VG fleet have any hope of being rescued if they are too far behind another VG boat and NZ Pacific is weeks away from their location?

Short on time I told her to download AIS and see what’s up.   She’s lurking on SA now!

I have no idea, but looking at marinetraffic, there are a number of fishing boats and cargos in the area right now, not many, but some... the distances are really huge...

3 hours ago, V21 said:

I think I am clearly wrong here, but It gave me some thoughts. I suspect that the computers are more integrated into all aspects of the boat that commonly found. I was thinking how a computer failure would affect a class 40 I am somewhat familiar with, of course adrena is a powerful tool, however on that boat if the computer went down, you would lose AIS as there is no dedicated ais display, you would lose the ability to download GRIBS and do your own routing, but you could still get onshore text routing daily or twice daily e-mail from someone like commander weather or simply a trusted buddy with at the very least the ability to get yourself away from dangerous weather.

GPS, RADAR, electronic charting on Ipad, instruments, autopilots, comms via iridium would all still work. I know that getting shoreside routing would require retirement in most races. On that boat losing the computer would be a bummer, but maybe not the emergency that Armedeo is facing. I wonder how much more the computer is in charge of on a modern IMOCA, perhaps the instruments or pilot don't have separate "brains", I'm not sure modern RADAR's have dedicated displays anymore.

He's not facing an emergency, he has just decided it isn't prudent to continue. Onshore routing or analysis of weather is expressly forbidden in the Vendee Globe. I believe weather data is even supplied by the RO (via GRIB files) too. So the loss of the computer is the loss of the primary routing ability and weather analysis, as well all the downsides you list (no radar, no ais). Boris for example uses his computer to interface with the alarms and other web interfaces, so the tablet would have to be on that network, and that network would also need to be on the satcom network to get email or other data. We also don't know how extensive the computer failure is, maybe he whole nav board took a dunking and theres no network left and he only has the rudimentary text entry on the satphone itself?

1 hour ago, troll99 said:

Vincent Lauriot Prevot, the LP in VPLP, was invite in the Tip and Shaft Pos Report podcast. U7nfortunately, there was no question asked about Hugo Boss...

• Like 1

By eyeballing for distance, it looks like the leading group can take a bit of rest in 48 hours .. and sailing through the breeze 

The weather below shows after 48 hr

image.thumb.png.5660d353dfd34d542f10b4f29bf7ac68.png

A good article from may 2020, on the final months in the shipyard where Jean Le Cam and Damien Seguin prepared their boats, practically together.

Gives insights into Jean Le Cam's state of mind going into the race, his expectations, and... welll, what its all about.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&u=https://sport.francetvinfo.fr/voile/vendee-globe-sa-majeste-jean-le-cam-pare-pour-laventure

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

He's not facing an emergency, he has just decided it isn't prudent to continue. Onshore routing or analysis of weather is expressly forbidden in the Vendee Globe. I believe weather data is even supplied by the RO (via GRIB files) too. So the loss of the computer is the loss of the primary routing ability and weather analysis, as well all the downsides you list (no radar, no ais). Boris for example uses his computer to interface with the alarms and other web interfaces, so the tablet would have to be on that network, and that network would also need to be on the satcom network to get email or other data. We also don't know how extensive the computer failure is, maybe he whole nav board took a dunking and theres no network left and he only has the rudimentary text entry on the satphone itself?

I totally respect his decision that it's not a good idea to carry on. I know you can't use use shore based routing, but if you were contemplating retiring bit carrying on like Sam I guess you could. The last sat phone I saw was a stand alone box with little or no display, I just connected to an iPhone.

1 hour ago, troll99 said:

VPLP has definitely left a lot of boat parts in the Atlantic, but this is an Irens design. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, r.finn said:

VPLP has definitely left a lot of boat parts in the Atlantic, but this is an Irens design. 

yeah if we stick to facts then every designer is pretty much equal. 

Wouter the router was today's guest on the Live. The Cargados Carajos Shoals are far enough north of the fleet. Bad memories.

Didn't know he was also doing weather routing for Alex and Meranda Merron.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, troll99 said:

yeah if we stick to facts then every designer is pretty much equal. 

Pretty much.  It's not like we're talking about production boats here.  I mean, could you imagine if a production sailboat company had a problem with keels falling off or something? Oh wait...

• Like 2

Erik the Viking out there lurking?    

Drop in dude - your training videos from oil rig safety/bailouts are not on your YTube list anymore?   Great stuff!   Timely given where the race is now.

”F*ckin Hell!”     Haha..Yes!!!

• Like 3
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Chasm said:

Didn't one of the boats in the last VG have an electronics/comms problem and still finished near the front of the fleet? Or was that another race?

Beyou had issues with his electronics.https://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2017/01/23/vendee-globe-jeremie-beyou-claims-third-place/

• Like 2

Nice. So comms problems instead of computer failure. IIRC relatively early and the only hint we had were sat phone interviews, no video.
Last major computer failure I can remember is on Vestas. Not enough caulking in the winch pedestals and consequently too much water in both computers.

Maybe we'll hear a bit more what went wrong once Fabrice makes it back..

• Like 1

I remember the book ..Force Nine And More: High Winds, Wild Seas – Stories of Australians Who Fought Them and Survived.   then to actually experience in the real is never the same as a book.  but forewarned you know that it will in time it will pass. ..and you will survive if you keep up on the issue that arise through that time.  ......a steady hand on and for the boat

4 hours ago, blunderfull said:

I'm not sure about a regular schedule but there are certainly big bulker and tankers passing. Normally at this time of year the Drake would be full of cruise ships but not this season! 

The Chilean navy are very efficient and well equipped. They will be on standby and I'm sure will have one or two of their offshore patrol vessels on station come the time. 

• Like 1

Fabrice Médéo gives more details on the French version of the website, that are not translated in the English version.... So here it is.

My boat is doing fine, but since yesterday, she is blind. Following a new issue on my computer, I can no longer upload weather files, use my routing software to calculate the fastest route, but also the safest route. Facing this issue, I have two options: stop my Vendée Glove attempt right here, right now, or continue. It is possible to continue the old way, without data and sail across the Southern Seas that way. You let yourself being blown by the winds and the waves for one month until you reach Cape Horn.

But our foilers are hellish in heavy seas and heavy winds, and I want to be able to sail applying one of my core principles: as a good sailor, in control of his own safety and the safety of the boat. Therefore I decided to stop my Vendée Globe at Cape Town. It has been a tough decision to make but I take full responsiblity."

• Like 3

On 12/10/2020 at 10:11 PM, TheDragon said:

Meanwhile Sodebo has passed most of the fleet far to their south.

Looks like Coville has called off the Jules Verne Trophy attempt... damaged starboard rudder. Now headed to Réunion.
https://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2020/12/11/coville-quits-jules-verne-trophy-attempt/

Lots of interesting developments in the latest tracking update (3.30 French time):

- Maitre Coq is close to taking over second position from LO and both are getting close to #1.

- Some of the following boats are heading up a bit (in particular JLC) and some already were on a more Northerly route (Boris and Dutreux), where they should find more wind (but sail more miles). Boats #1-3 are heading for some HP again (as is Burton, but he is in a slightly different pattern), but sail fewer miles. The big question: Which route is faster: Fewer miles in less wind, or more miles in better breeze? I would say JLC and Seguin might be at the right latitude, although at this point Seguin is heading south, whereas Le Cam is going up.

- Tripon gybed South, setting up nicely for hi LP zone and sailing less miles. 

- Charal is a few miles from Merci

Such an exiting race!!!

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Bebmoumoute said:

He is not belgian ?

Details :)...

He has done an amazing job the last week, making the jump from the little peloton to the leaders.

Dalin's description of his passage through the front on the VG site sound most unpleasant. Good reminder how tough it is out there, as is Ruyant's video.

Coming week the conditions should favour the foilers as the wind and sea look like they will be a bit friendlier. Curious to see if the non-foilers will start to drop back. Also curious to see whether Boris Hermann's and Benjamin Dutreux more Northerly course will bring them something. Dutreux especially has become a bit of a sentimental favourite for me.

10 hours ago, V21 said:

The last sat phone I saw was a stand alone box with little or no display, I just connected to an iPhone.

Things like an Iridium Go are not what the fully ocean racing yachts use, it has no way near the bandwidth of capacity to be used for the media requirements, and is not certified for the level of safety rules (not an expert on that one, I think you need a SAT-C certification?). If you look at the rear of the IMOCAs you will see one or two large domes, those are their sat dishes, and they'll have terminals/receivers below deck connected to the boats network. :)

17 hours ago, WLIS Jibing said:

Dalin is looking really fast on the latest sked - 23 knots.  I wonder if he is trying to regain the lead that got eaten up the last few hours.  Is he taking risks that he did not want to take just to regain that buffer?  Or is he just in better conditions?  Or a combination?

No No , Yes and Yes..!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rainbow Spirit said:

L'Occitane has made up about 500nm on Apivia since crossing the equator, very impressive.

Yes but all conditions related. He hasn't had to face the extreme weather that Apivia has had to deal with. I'm sure in the right conditions L'Occitane is the fastest boat but he is not as fast when the seas are up and it's rough. To be fair to Armel his experience in these conditions is not like some of the other skippers. I'm impressed that he has hung in there and to see him gaining is great

The numbers tell the story. Over the past 24 hours Dalin, who has lead since November 23rd  made an average of 13 knots against 17 of Ruyant. But meantime Yannick Bestaven maintained a constant average 19 knots. At 72 hours ago, Maitre CoQ IV was 360 miles behind Apivia and over 100 behind LinkedOut. Today Bestaven is virtually by side with Ruyant and a few hours of sailing from Dalin.
"I know that of course everyone has been speculating about technical issues. But my technical problem with no wind. Apivia is doing fine ” Dalin said this morning. 
“The bleeding is almost stabilized, but not completely. I'm going to continue to lose a little more." Dalin says. 

About Ruyant with the mainsail down: he had to change two mainsail-battens:

Thomas Ruyant (LinkedOut) The second placed skipper can't exploit all the potential of his LinkedOut because of its truncated port foil... And this situation is likely to last a few days as the winds forecast are not looking favourable for gybing: Thomas Ruyant will have to wait at least until Cape Leeuwin!"I passed the last obstacle 24 hours ago... It feels good to know that ahead of us, the conditions are pretty nice. It also gives me a chance to solve the little problems on board, to take some time for myself, to eat well. I slept well last night. The wind is still a little irregular, but I have blue skies! In any case, it's good to have a little break because since the beginning of the Indian Ocean, the weather has really given us something to think about. I had two mainsail battens to change yesterday: I was without my mainsail for around 2-3 hours, but it went pretty fast because I had the experience from 2016 under my belt. There are always things to do on these boats in terms of maintenance, but I am working well and LinkedOut is too!