bigrpowr

Vendee Globe 2020

4 hours ago, james_007_bond said:

Gabard is doing commentary on french public tv, Coville doing the same on french sport tv l’equipe.

And on the Vendée Globe Youtube Channel, French version, it was Loïck Peyron and Pascal Bidégorry... Not too shaby!

Ouch. Haven't noticed mentions about noise-cancelling headphones yet. IIRC, Morgan Lagravierre on Safran retired partly because of the noise last time.

9 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Hugo Boss reporting it is 114.24dB in the boat while at 27 knots. Yikes.

I wonder if Alex will shut down (or maybe tweek) his realtime boat data at some point in order not to provide the info to the others (especially boat speed and wind speed), already he does not provide wind direction for instance

Just now, yl75 said:

I wonder if Alex will shut down (or maybe tweek) his realtime boat data at some point in order not to provide the info to the others (especially boat speed and wind speed), already he does not provide wind direction for instance

I imagine boat data is pretty benign if there’s no way to correlate it with wind data and no one can actually change their sail plan or boat until the next edition? But it sure is fun watching the boat heel data and bow height. 

Also would be nice to to have the instant power from his PV array more than total energy (kWh) from the start, although knowing the average at the end will be quite interesting.

1 hour ago, Kenny Dumas said:

Le Cam sailing high anticipating the coming header. 

This is what I do in the virtual. Currently it does not look to pay out. Wind in 6 hrs alternating +/- 20 degrees. Lets see ... Kenny you are in lee and ahead of me - time will tell. Enjoy!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stief said:

Looks like they'll need to go through 3-4 different transition zones before they get there.  One or two look to involve light winds.  I figure he'll sail deep into a light wind header, and then park it to watch the wind shift and build while he pays his penalty.  Maybe adjust some gear and/or get some sleep.  Then resume with a more favorable wind angle and speed than when he stopped.  Certainly a significant loss, but not 5 hours' worth that way.

APICIA / Charlie Dalin is back on the tracker. Looks like he never went back. Oops, false alarm...
La Mie Caline / Arnau Boissieres is not on the tracker and shows a track back into the channel. Anything in the FR race media about him? Or did someone tie the YB to the team RIB. :lol:
Cant see the boat on the race village webcam that is still running.

1 minute ago, Your Mom said:

Looks like they'll need to go through 3-4 different transition zones before they get there.  One or two look to involve light winds.  I figure he'll sail deep into a light wind header, and then park it to watch the wind shift and build while he pays his penalty.  Maybe adjust some gear and/or get some sleep.  Then resume with a more favorable wind angle and speed than when he stopped.  Certainly a significant loss, but not 5 hours' worth that way.

Agree mostly. Will see how this plays out against the rich getting even more richer because of the foiling advantages.

51 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Hugo Boss reporting it is 114.24dB in the boat while at 27 knots. Yikes.

Yikes, at that volume the skippers have to be risking hearing damage after the race....

Yah it’s pretty much the threshold for pain to sudden noises - I’d totally be wearing hearing protection. 

6 minutes ago, minca3 said:

wait, does APIVIA also have a camera system?

Yes it does. The system was on the boat since the launch and we saw Charlie using it during the VALSO to film himself. It serves the same purpose a the ones on HB.

7 minutes ago, minca3 said:

apivia.jpg

Yes, also one on the back, by the way, is the forum stuttering or something ? :)

(some others have Flir cams as well, but not as many as HB)

5 minutes ago, minca3 said:

Have to, they basically changed the boat to a fully closed cockpit after launch.

The Pip Hare dockwalk showed that very well @14:50

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

Yikes, at that volume the skippers have to be risking hearing damage after the race....

I’m pretty sure he and others have got hearing protection if they’re seeing numbers this high considering their ‘no stone unturned’ approach. 

19 minutes ago, Chasm said:

Have to, they basically changed the boat to a fully closed cockpit after launch.

The Pip Hare dockwalk showed that very well @14:50

Thanks! Somehow missed these Dock walk videos. Also saw cameras on LinkedOut

Can't imagine what it would be lilke to sail into the first night of a Vandee Globe. Normally, I always love it when it turns dark at sea for the first night of a trip, but to know that you will have to get yourself around the world on an IMOCA... That you will be out there for the best part of 3 months. After all the emotions, the preparation, good byes, the convoy through the channel and the start. Then there is just a cold night coming up. Brave people out there.

Looks like the coming 24 hours will be challenging enough to get West. Curious to see how things look by tomorrow.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2020 at 2:16 PM, JonRowe said:

I believe AT is Doyle, some of the boats that have partial may well be older boats on mixed inventories, I though (but totally willing to be corrected) I saw a North logo on pips new main?

Pip's new main is by One Sails.

124379755_10159020506410152_8831965146617823744_o.jpg

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, stief said:

I'm confused. The rankings downloaded from the VG site is labeled "Classement du dimanche 08 novembre 2020 à 19h00 FR" but the tracker data shows 17h30/1800 hr.

(and only place I've seen "Since 30 minutes" averages).

That one refers to the 18:00 FR ( 17:00 UTC) time, I guess.

Apparently they have sticked to their trackers updates/schedules from last time which is :

05h00 09h00 12h00 15h00 18h00 22h00 FR(or CET, put -1 for UTC), so with a big 7 hours hole between 22:00 and 5:00. For me a regular 3 or 2 hours period would have been much better, even 30 minutes !

(why not get your "customers" as hooked up as you can, even if that means ruining their lives in the process :) )

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, stief said:

I'm confused. The rankings downloaded from the VG site is labeled "Classement du dimanche 08 novembre 2020 à 19h00 FR" but the tracker data shows 17h30/1800 hr.

In the spreadsheet the E column shows when the datapoint was taken and all say 18h30FR 

1 minute ago, stief said:

That is an old argument from the VOR and VG before.
The positions report are delayed to give the other ships not the advantage of spying where the most  wind, windshifts  or currents are.

Counter argument is it isn't possible for the online suporters to follow tactics like in round the bouy racing. AC or olympics.
In the argument the supporters mostly win by votes,

in the argument, the sailors themselves and race management and give preference to delayed position reports.
For technical and tactical reasons.

Back to  the race:
Jérémy Beyou with his untamed beast Charal is leading.
For how long?
1914973809_top5vendee.PNG.bc9d19710b2c28ad69b84a6f69993ccc.PNG

4 minutes ago, kass said:

Pip's new main is by One Sails.

124379755_10159020506410152_8831965146617823744_o.jpg

Looks sharp, no wrinkles. Are the non foilers in advance with low winds?
Low winds are coming up.
849987056_Vendeeglobewindyty.PNG.82d31882e0142456ef2a05f207d88452.PNG

The top 10 are basically all within visual/AIS range of each other so it is still anyone's game until the Canary Islands where the first separation will probably punt certain would be contenders into trying to finish category.

8 minutes ago, Miffy said:

The top 10 are basically all within visual/AIS range of each other so it is still anyone's game until the Canary Islands where the first separation will probably punt certain would be contenders into trying to finish category.

Will the stagering horse Charal  from Jérémy Beyou win?
Photo-Charal-05-2020_copyright-1.thumb.jpg.7c03b8a13a52f657a9b1ad0becb8d72d.jpg

• Like 1

Headsail lock problem for Fabrice. Better now than later, I suppose.

Just now, vesa said:

Is it just me ???

No, I get the same. Workaround has been to use a link from twitter (probably to avoid local cookie/cache problems on my laptop)

• Like 1

I still think the pause of tracker updates at night is to give the staff some rest at night. One or two shifts in most positions instead of a full 24h operation.
Without an update there is nothing to report. OTOH teams may decide to say something on their own if SHTF.

I think for an international audience a full 24/7 media desk would work better. Fresh news for all markets as it develops. But then I din't do the numbers.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chasm said:

I still think the pause of tracker updates at night is to give the staff some rest at night. One or two shifts in most positions instead of a full 24h operation.
Without an update there is nothing to report. OTOH teams may decide to say something on their own if SHTF.

I think for an international audience a full 24/7 media desk would work better. Fresh news for all markets as it develops. But then I din't do the numbers.

You think they type in all the positions manually? Isn't all of that (position acquisition, possible data conversion, update of tracker) done programmatically?

12 minutes ago, stief said:

Headsail lock problem for Fabrice. Better now than later, I suppose.

That sucks. Hope he can rejoin quickly

4 minutes ago, minca3 said:

You think they type in all the positions manually? Isn't all of that (position acquisition, possible data conversion, update of tracker) done programmatically?

No, I think they could provide 30mn updates by just updating a few parameters, a pity really, just allow some a few "ghost periods" decided by the skippers like in the VOR would be much better

Supposedly there is still the need to check tracker data for gross errors.

I think the bigger problem is if accidents happen. Much easier to have a full media team on hand for that with a prepared statement when the story goes out than to wake up because media from around the world was watching the tracker and is calling for info. (The emergency desk is obviously 24/7 in the VG.)

Basically what happened with Vestas in the Volvo, the reef episode. We knew mighty fast as it IIRC happened at the end of an update cycle and someone spotted it asap. VOR media was not ready with a statement for quite some time. They had to check and notify first. At that time we had it pretty much pierced together. (Not that controlled sailing into terrain is particularly hard to spot. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OTOH it is much harder to accept.)

Performance is a pretty weak argument in the VG. The boats are too dissimilar.

15 minutes ago, yl75 said:

No, I think they could provide 30mn updates by just updating a few parameters, a pity really, just allow some a few "ghost periods" decided by the skippers like in the VOR would be much better

I disagree- I think the beauty of the VG is each sailor sails their own race in their own boat with their own polars. I liked the OD close proximity of the VOR of last 2 editions, but the ghost period was such a silly gimmick that did nothing to advance the event, and the VG organizers don’t do the same bullshit VOR thing where rules for certain teams are set aside because they don’t want to punish the team that is a major sponsor from the people’s republic. 

maybe it is generational and personality but I didn’t particularly care the US election took a while to count either - the process plays itself out? I don’t need live coverage for VG. 

• Like 1

Any one having problems with the official Vende Tracker, you can go to the Alex Thompson Racing website which basically gives you the same data https://www.alexthomsonracing.com/the-hub/race/

Re the long gap in the overnight updates, that is surely to give the skippers the chance for a tactical play without the opposition being able to immediately respond.

Enjoying it all so far.

2 hours ago, JonRowe said:

From the HB  hub: “Alex will wear noise cancelling headphones to protect his ears from the loud sounds that surround him onboard the boat”

Hmm .. to wear this shit 24x7 for 2- 3 months .. I know how I feel after 12 hours flight ..

17 minutes ago, Miffy said:

I disagree- I think the beauty of the VG is each sailor sails their own race in their own boat with their own polars. I liked the OD close proximity of the VOR of last 2 editions, but the ghost period was such a silly gimmick that did nothing to advance the event, and the VG organizers don’t do the same bullshit VOR thing where rules for certain teams are set aside because they don’t want to punish the team that is a major sponsor from the people’s republic. 

maybe it is generational and personality but I didn’t particularly care the US election took a while to count either - the process plays itself out? I don’t need live coverage for VG. 

One of the reasons they can do more frequent updates for fans in the VOR, like live-ish close to shore (like when we quickly found out Vestas 11th Hour had an issue off the coat of China, but hours to know what happened) is that the communications the teams have on board is limited. They can't talk routing or tactics with shore crew, and only get certain things sent to them - no internet access. 

In the Vendee they talk about routing and tactics with the shore team who would have full access, but even the skippers could I believe with the tech they have on board. Doesn't one of the IMOCA races let them have live-ish updates the whole time? Maybe just a double handed NY-Vendee, but remember skippers saying they were glued to positions the whole time since they were there for them.

46 minutes ago, Miffy said:

But the point is to balance the level of information given to the public with the one given to the competitors with respect to themselves (knowing that this information is the same).

Now when they are within AIS reach they have more info in between themselves than the public (and the softwares like Adrena allow them them to track each rivals very precisely).

When they are not, so when they rely on the tracker like everybody else, and if they each follow their polars, why not give the public more updates if they are following their polars anyway ?

However I still think at some key point in the race, where secrecy on decisions can be important (and is also interesting), I get that you have something against China (or the PCC, or rich teams and sponsors or something ;) ) , but I don't see where or when these ghost periods have played in favor of Dongfeng in the last VOR in anyway.

Clearly, I would prefer 30 mintues updates throughout the race for the VG, with 3 or 4 allowed 24 or 48 hours "ghost periods" allowed per skipper than the current situation.

(and the skippers can choose to get glued to the trackers or mind their own business or strrategy), make it 1 hour updates maybe, but clearly not enough updates for the public right now.

Just now, yl75 said:

However I still think at some key point in the race, secrecy on decisions can be important (and is also interesting), I get that you have something against China (or the PCC, or rich teams and sponsors or something ;) ) , but I don't see where or when these ghost periods have played in favor of Dongfeng in the last VOR in anyway.

Specifically in the leg between Cape Town to Melbourne, DF needed VOR team pitching in to fix their boat despite the rules specifically saying no non-team repairs and such repairs were to be penalized so bring your own spares and conserve your boat. 

They changed the rules without comment. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Specifically in the leg between Cape Town to Melbourne, DF needed VOR team pitching in to fix their boat despite the rules specifically saying no non-team repairs and such repairs were to be penalized so bring your own spares and conserve your boat. 

They changed the rules without comment. 

Don't remember that one exactly, what was it again ? but how does it relates to updates frequency or ghost periods ?

9 minutes ago, tallyho said:

check out le cam :-) The Fox is in the hunt!

never underestimate the old foxes ;)  He deserves a new boat, not those youngsters.. 

18 minutes ago, Icedtea said:

...time to panic

Should we?

If you look at the tracker replay for HB around the 6:43 mark... something happened. He's shipped s lot of time

20 minutes ago, yl75 said:

Don't remember that one exactly, what was it again ? but how does it relates to updates frequency or ghost periods ?

I brought it up in the context of race integrity - you can have a good race, or a good show; sometimes not both. The VOR folks decided it was more important that big sponsor & race favorites not get penalized for outside assistance to keep the horse race close. 

The VG doesn't care about individual outcomes - just the integrity of the event.

12 minutes ago, tallyho said:

If you look at the tracker replay for HB around the 6:43 mark... something happened. He's shipped s lot of time

This sort of tracker has been observed before that if someone’s data reporting misses a tracking datapoint when it is in the process of being updated, it does weird things. 

1 minute ago, Miffy said:

I brought it up in the context of race integrity - you can have a good race, or a good show; sometimes not both. 

This sort of tracker has been observed before that if someone’s data reporting misses a tracking datapoint when it is in the process of being updated, it does weird things. 

Thx... so what is the word on update frequency? I have heard different timings

and update frequency would not explain HB's 2 knot average speed deficit. Seems to be sailing a higher angle but those around him have stretched. Early days but the front 3 seem to be holding much higher averages than the rest.

If you look at Charlie Dahlin in front and the boats behind to the south, you'll see a similar light patch the more southern boats encountered. 

2 minutes ago, Miffy said:

If you look at Charlie Dahlin in front and the boats behind to the south, you'll see a similar light patch the more southern boats encountered. 

yeah noticed that.. If it is just a transition I bet someone is screaming at the wind gods!

15 minutes ago, tallyho said:

Thx... so what is the word on update frequency? I have heard different timings

Updates frequency is :

05h00 09h00 12h00 15h00 18h00 22h00 FR (FR=CET (Central European Time), or UTC+1, in winter time, and GMT=UTC)

Written on top of the trackers :

https://apivia.geovoile.com/vendeeglobe/2020/tracker/

10 minutes ago, tallyho said:

thx... so nothing until tomorrow morning 05.00 CET. Is it me or is that a backwards step from last time?

No, exactly the same as last time, they might increase it at some key points (the Horn, other), and of course arrival, but this is clearly an "editorial", or race committee decision, not a technical one.

1 hour ago, troll99 said:

never underestimate the old foxes ;)  He deserves a new boat, not those youngsters.. 

FREAKING OUT the Fox is on my tail!

361F69F4-74CF-48D6-8F58-D8DD89707DAD.png

• Like 1

Zezo routing is suggesting a wide arc out into the Atlantic, completely bypassing the Canaries, and heading south well to the west of the Cape Verde Islands.

1 minute ago, staysail said:

Nothing when I clicked

Thanks. There were issues for some anarchists a year ago, and so just needed a check. I'll edit the post to just add the link.

Well, mates. Here we go again. Pretty ideal conditions for that start, once the fog burnt off.

Will be interesting to see how things develop over the next 70 days. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Well, mates. Here we go again. Pretty ideal conditions for that start, once the fog burnt off.

Will be interesting to see how things develop over the next 70 days. 

I must admit to feeling a bit nervous about this:

https://apps.ecmwf.int/webapps/opencharts/products/medium-tc-genesis?base_time=202011081200&layer_name=genesis_ts&projection=opencharts_global&valid_time=202011141200

a tropical storm predicted to form midway between the Caribbean and the Canaries and move to the east, because, hey,  it's 2020 and it isn't over yet (although my ever optimistic other half says it's getting better).  Really hope this doesn't verify.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, r.finn said:

Goddamn leech lines!

just what i was thinking... it will not last 70 days....

Apologies if it's already been asked, has anyone made a cool simple tracker like this legendary one from last time ? https://gis.ee/vg/

4 minutes ago, Alysun said:

Apologies if it's already been asked, has anyone made a cool simple tracker like this legendary one from last time ? https://gis.ee/vg/

Sadly, nothing yet that I could find. I noticed earlier on Twitter even Volodia (who built some fine trackers in the past) was asking.

FWIW, to bypass the broken links on the VG page, this works https://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/tracking-map

7 minutes ago, stief said:

Sadly, nothing yet that I could find. I noticed earlier on Twitter even Volodia (who built some fine trackers in the past) was asking.

FWIW, to bypass the broken links on the VG page, this works https://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/tracking-map

Yep. The best I've found so far. Not pretty, but serviceable.

3 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

3 retirements L"Occitane, Arkea Paprec, Groupe ApICL . and Alex gone from the tracker all together

???? Source?

2 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

???? Source?

Heheh. He had me checking, soI figure Rum line

11 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

3 retirements L"Occitane, Arkea Paprec, Groupe ApICL . and Alex gone from the tracker all together

Link?

Edit - slow internet, didn't see responses. 

Jean wants to get another good look at, Finisterre

Screen Shot 2020-11-09 at 1.09.19 PM.png

8 minutes ago, stief said:

Heheh. He had me checking, soI figure Rum line

Heh.  Good to see your name back here stief.

• Like 1

Share on other