Sign in to follow this  
Jules

What Cracks In Our System Has Trump Exposed?

Most every president before Trump knew their responsibility to the country, our allies and to the Office of the President.  They understood they needed to act with civility, decorum, patience, respect and honor.  No one needed to tell them there were certain lines that must not be crossed because the vast majority of them would never have crossed it.

Donald Trump seems oblivious to what even Richard Nixon was well aware of.  The lines Trump has been willing to cross have exposed the cracks in our system that allow a president far more power than many could have ever imagined.

Which ones come to mind for you?

8 minutes ago, Jules said:

Most every president before Trump knew their responsibility to the country, our allies and to the Office of the President.  They understood they needed to act with civility, decorum, patience, respect and honor.  No one needed to tell them there were certain lines that must not be crossed because the vast majority of them would never have crossed it.

Donald Trump seems oblivious to what even Richard Nixon was well aware of.  The lines Trump has been willing to cross have exposed the cracks in our system that allow a president far more power than many could have ever imagined.

2 party system.  The POTUS only has as much power as the other 2 branches of government give him/her.  This nightmare could be over quickly but Republicans are holding fast to their party,not the country.  And it can go both ways.  If it were a Democratic POTUS doing this shit I would want the Dems to put country over party as well.  Party loyalty has allowed what any reasonable person believes to be corrupt to become trailblazing.

• Like 3

The first crack I would identify is the one in our electoral system in that now minorities select the Executive. The 1922 law limiting the number of House members has altered the impact of the Electoral college to favor lower population regions.  Not new (3/5ths compromise, for example) but a crack exposed nonetheless. 

The second would be the extent to which the Executive has become an over powerful, unitary branch that overwhelms our tradition of checks and balances.  This is tied to Congressional abrogation of it's responsibilities. Without the responsibilities to actually govern, it allows partisanship to become the primary interest.

It also (but not finally, unfortunately) has exposed how large a segment of the population is willing to accept corruption in office if racial and religious intolerance is invoked. This streak has always been a part of the American character has been present but not so often been so accepted.

14 minutes ago, learningJ24 said:

The first crack I would identify is the one in our electoral system in that now minorities select the Executive. The 1922 law limiting the number of House members has altered the impact of the Electoral college to favor lower population regions.  Not new (3/5ths compromise, for example) but a crack exposed nonetheless. 

The second would be the extent to which the Executive has become an over powerful, unitary branch that overwhelms our tradition of checks and balances.  This is tied to Congressional abrogation of it's responsibilities. Without the responsibilities to actually govern, it allows partisanship to become the primary interest.

It also (but not finally, unfortunately) has exposed how large a segment of the population is willing to accept corruption in office if racial and religious intolerance is invoked. This streak has always been a part of the American character has been present but not so often been so accepted blatantly manipulated.

FTFY

Something else, the difficulty in removing a rotten/corrupt etc etc President.

I'd suggest joint  55% House, 55% senate and 4  supreme court judges

1 minute ago, Shortforbob said:

FTFY

Not so sure, the manipulations going back, at a minimum, to the 1920's were quite blatant. The difference was that in the past that level of intolerance was so mainstream that little discussion had to occur. 

34 minutes ago, hermetic said:

don't ever elect a businessman with no political experience to the office of president.  ever, ever

This :)  I think Trump has pretty clearly shown that the tactics of business and the tactics of politics aren't the same thing.

More to the spirit of the original thread, I've said before (and still believe) that the greatest boon of the Trump era is to expose the hypocrisy of our system.  He's pulled back the cover from things we'd rather not confront.

He's exposed how the media makes money by stoking conflict and 'facts' can be malleable in the hands of even a mediocre PR firm.  He's exposed how social media can be used to manipulate democratic elections.  He's demonstrated how a dedicated minority can seize power and use that power to impose their will on an apathetic majority.  He's exposed how supposedly principled people people from all political stripes WILL condone actions in the name of advancing political goals - everything from ignoring borish behavior to overlooking crimes and supporting violence - as long as its in the name of a 'greater good'.  He's demonstrated how 'friendship' is really a weak bond compared to the terrifying power of righteousness.

In short, he's demonstrated, yet again, the power and allure of authoritarianism fueled by populist rage.  And the guilty realization that individuals may object, but 'people' like it - maybe even need it - to feel good about themselves.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, hermetic said:

don't ever elect a businessman with no political experience to the office of president.  ever, ever

Agreed but Shitstain seems more con artist than businessman.

Bloomberg is a businessman and he served as major of NYC. Not the usual route but that’s sufficient for me. Buttigieg served as mayor. Qualified to run.

Colin Powell was smart enough but no elected political experience. Nope.

The Howard Schultz and Tom Steyer types, nope.

Things President Trump has exposed:

1. The new 3/5ths compromise, where illegal aliens work for slave wages, cannot vote (they vote all the time), but are still counted in the census, disenfranchising Americans in Republican states.
  2. The widespread sale of public office. For example, Pelosi steered a multi billion dollar railway to her husband that never got built. Biden steered construction towards his son and all the high profile democrats (plus Romney) have family members on the boards of energy companies. Obama just got the world's biggest book deal ($65 million) after steering $300 million to the publisher for "common core".
  3. The organized economic exploitation of America by the ruling class. One buffon was so confident that this was the new normal he proclaimed "What magic wand does he have, those jobs are not coming back!". Turns out he was really wrong.
  4. International co-operation between America, UK, Australia, Canada and New Zealand to spy on each other's citizens (Five Eyes). A british spy manufactured a document that was used by the FBI to obtain a warrant on an American, and the FBI knew it was manufactured.
  5. Rampant pedophilia all across the country. Under President Trump, arrests for pedophilia and human trafficking have skyrocketed. Last week, Paul Peterson (former elected official who was friends with Romney, McCain and Flake) was arrested for the literal sale of babies from the maldives. There was another huge bust this week, too.
  6. The deliberate colonization of America with the intent to destabalize our democracy. Obama intentionally settled Somalis in Minneapolis in an attempt to create a Democrat safe district.

I thank God every day that Trump is our president. If Hillary had won, it would have been the end of Western Civilization. Trump has breathed another 50 years of life into us, at least. If my grandchildren are going to live in freedom, we have a lot more fighitng to do.

2 minutes ago, shubrook said:

1. The new 3/5ths compromise, where illegal aliens work for slave wages  cannot vote (they vote all the time), but are still counted in the census, disenfranchising Americans in Republican states.
  2. The widespread sale of public office. For example, Pelosi steered a multi billion dollar railway to her husband that never got built. Biden steered construction towards his son and all the high profile democrats (plus Romney) have family members on the boards of energy companies. Obama just got the world's biggest book deal ($65 million) after steering $300 million to the publisher for "common core".
  3. The organized economic exploitation of America by the ruling class. One buffon was so confident that this was the new normal he proclaimed "What magic wand does he have, those jobs are not coming back!". Turns out he was really wrong.
  4. Internation co-operation between America, UK, Australia, Canada and New Zealand to spy on each other's citizens (Five Eyes). A british spy manufactured a document that was used by the FBI to obtain a warrant on an American, and the FBI knew it was manufactured.
  5. Rampant pedophilia all across the country. Under President Trump, arrests for pedophilia and human trafficking have skyrocketed. Last week, Paul Peterson (former elected official who was friends with Romney, McCain and Flake) was arrested for the literal sale of babies from the maldives. There was another huge bust this week, too.
  6. The deliberate colonization of America with the intent to destabalize our democracy. Obama intentionally settled Somalis in Minneapolis in an attempt to create a Democrat safe district.

I thank God every day that Trump is our president. If Hillary had won, it would have been the end of Western Civilization. Trump has breathed another 50 years of life into us, at least. If my grandchildren are going to live in freedom, we have a lot more fighitng to do.

Are people like you actually real? I wonder how you live when every shark in the park from the checkout operator to the person that services your car must see "Gull" tattooed on your forehead.

You're so stupid I bet you're parents charged a dollar to see your school reports.

Just now, learningJ24 said:

if Hillary had the power to end Western Civilization, how ever did she lose the election?

because of the cartel's redeeming quality: they suck donkey dick. Buckets and buckets of donkey dick.

38 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

FTFY

Something else, the difficulty in removing a rotten/corrupt etc etc President.

I'd suggest joint  55% House, 55% senate and 4  supreme court judges

That would involve amending the Constitution, harder than impeachment.  It also cracks open the WHOLE document for change, something fearful to contemplate.

4 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Are people like you actually real? I wonder how you live when every shark in the park from the checkout operator to the person that services your car must see "Gull" tattooed on your forehead.

You're so stupid I bet you're parents charged a dollar to see your school reports.

I'm verry sorry, I don't speak your cute dialect. There are no sharks in parks here.

Just now, shubrook said:

because of the cartel's redeeming quality: they suck donkey dick. Buckets and buckets of donkey dick.

Understanding that is how the current President achieved his status but you didn't address why such an omnipotent candidate could lose.

Another one of the cracks that has been exposed is the idea that a sitting president can't be criminally prosecuted.  This is not laid out anywhere in the constitution, and the supreme court hasn't ruled on it.  This essentially removes one of the two checks from the system of checks and balances.  The other check - Congress - is negated by a party willing to ignore what their *resident is doing.  As a result we currently have an executive branch that is beholden to no one.  The system has been corrupted enough that we no longer have a 3 branch government.

What Trump did in Syria is more about congress's failure to enforce their powers.  They are so worried about being elected that they have allowed the President to usurp the authority of declaring war.  And since no war is declared he is free to do what he wants without their oversight.  This is nothing new.  Trump just managed to fuck it up so badly that it became front and center.

This could be solved with the passage of a law REQUIRING congress to vote before troops are sent into actions except in extraordinary circumstances.  It would have to be ironclad and clear in what represents extraordinary.  This would have the dual effect of drastically reducing our deployments overseas.

Yet another one of the cracks that has been exposed is the court-packing that has gone on.  From the supreme court on done through the lower courts, we have a problem with the way judges are partisan-ly selected.  I do not know how you fix this.  Perhaps changing this to require a 2/3 approval to stop the party-line bullshit.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, learningJ24 said:

Understanding that is how the current President achieved his status but you didn't address why such an omnipotent candidate could lose.

Sure it does. The West was dying a slow death of corruption and organized crime. It's the sort of institutional rot that doesn't require or even encourage a competent villain: it just rewards lowering the bar an inch at a time. The uniparty thought it had a stranglehold on the Democrats, Republicans and the news Media. They had no need to be good. Now they are fucked.

Americans have had enough, so we have started raising the bar.

4 minutes ago, learningJ24 said:

That would involve amending the Constitution, harder than impeachment.  It also cracks open the WHOLE document for change, something fearful to contemplate.

you asked for cracks exposed not whether they were fixable.

9 minutes ago, shubrook said:

I'm verry sorry, I don't speak your cute dialect. There are no sharks in parks here.

No, but we've got loons who are off their meds.  It's a hard task to outdo randumb and his conspiracy theories, but you've managed it.  Bravo.  I'm forced to believe you're merely portraying a caricature of a far-right wingnut, because frankly I cannot believe that anyone who is intelligent enough to post on a forum could possible be as stupid as you appear.

1 minute ago, Grrr... said:

No, but we've got loons who are off their meds.  You're getting right up there with randumb and conspiracy theories.  Bravo.

The term 'consipracy theory' was coined by the CIA.

Everything I've listed is really well documented. If you are ignorant of it, change your search engine from google to duckduckgo (that would be point #7).

A gentlemen’s agreement breaks down when you are dealing with thugs

13 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

No, but we've got loons who are off their meds.  It's a hard task to outdo randumb and his conspiracy theories, but you've managed it.  Bravo.  I'm forced to believe you're merely portraying a caricature of a far-right wingnut, because frankly I cannot believe that anyone who is intelligent enough to post on a forum could possible be as stupid as you appear.

Check out the political forum(s) on Craigslist some time. Shubie and Dog would be towering intellects among the gibbering baboons and babbling gibbons there. Many cannot communicate anything more complex than YOU LIBTARDS SUCK!!!!!!!! Of course, that's 99% of Shubie's actual content anyway, he just dresses it up to the limits of his education.

- DSK

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

did you know than loons change their eye color from red to grey in the winter months?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, shubrook said:

Everything I've listed is really well documented. If you are ignorant of it, change your search engine from google to duckduckgo (that would be point #7).

Everything you've listed is total malarkey, straight from Alex Jones' reeking imagination

And you forgot to add how Trump saved us from nuclear annihilation at the hands of North Korea

- DSK

44 minutes ago, shubrook said:

1. The new 3/5ths compromise, where illegal aliens work for slave wages, cannot vote (they vote all the time), but are still counted in the census, disenfranchising Americans in Republican states.
  4. International co-operation between America, UK, Australia, Canada and New Zealand to spy on each other's citizens (Five Eyes). A british spy manufactured a document that was used by the FBI to obtain a warrant on an American, and the FBI knew it was manufactured. 

Nice list but it's just a rant.  What has changed with Trump that extends the life of the republic by 50 years?

The census hasn't substantially changed.  The Trump administration has argued the rules that have been instituted WON'T significantly change the count - they argued that over and over - was he lying?  Will public offices NOT be for sale after he leaves?  Have there been new ethic rules adopted?  Has the exploitation by the ruling class changed?  Are there few gated communities?  Are universities cheaper?  Is health care cheaper?  Has surveillance of the population decreased under Trump?  Are new guidelines in place or new oversight?

I'll repeat - what change has Trump made that will endure past his presidency?  Put the fear of God into Pedophiles? 

11 minutes ago, shubrook said:

you know Duck Duck Go is socialist don't you? 

uses freeware and open sourcing 

“I'll repeat - what change has Trump made that will endure past his presidency.”

Distrust of America by our friends and allies

• Like 1

Just now, jerseyguy said:

“I'll repeat - what change has Trump made that will endure past his presidency.”

Distrust of America by our friends and allies

Well to be fair, we've not trusted you much since Iraq..Obama was healing that rift.

I've changed my mind.  Shubrook isn't regatta dog.  Regatta Dog's posts were actually much more intelligent.

25 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Many cannot communicate anything more complex than YOU LIBTARDS SUCK!!!!!!!!

You do suck.

The first step is admitting you have a problem.

3 minutes ago, shubrook said:

You do suck.

The first step is admitting you have a problem.

more stupid people

https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F191018020053-05-trump-dallas-rally.jpg

1 hour ago, Shortforbob said:

Conspiracy nutters like Shubie are real. They need to blame some “cabal” for their incel status, the need to live in mommies basement, and their all-around failure in modern society. 

What cracks has Trump exposed? That the vast majority of the US is fat, lazy and entitled and just goes with the narrative that makes them feel comfortable. Whether it's stupid conspiracy theory, or raging against the duopoly, or how great a businessman being president is, the US citizens will just phone this shit in stomping their feet that THEY WANT IT NOW! Before they've even agreed someone did something wrong they are yelling at you it's not fixed yet.

1 hour ago, Grrr... said:

What Trump did in Syria is more about congress's failure to enforce their powers.  They are so worried about being elected that they have allowed the President to usurp the authority of declaring war.  And since no war is declared he is free to do what he wants without their oversight.  This is nothing new.  Trump just managed to fuck it up so badly that it became front and center.

This what prompted my question.  Congress is supposed to be the body of our government that declares war.  When our elected officials allowed the president to send troops into battle or pull them out without a declaration of war, we opened the door to a president being able to completely control the military at will.

Most likely this was allowed because it benefited the defense contractors, who are major contributors to politicians on both sides of the aisle.  But the Syria debacle exposed what could go wrong if the wrong guy was president. 

There has been no shortage of Americans who feel this undeclared war power bequeathed on the president is a violation of the War Powers Act but our bought off elected officials did nothing and fearful Americans approved of it.

1 minute ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

What cracks has Trump exposed? That the vast majority of the US is fat, lazy and entitled and just goes with the narrative that makes them feel comfortable. Whether it's stupid conspiracy theory, or raging against the duopoly, or how great a businessman being president is, the US citizens will just phone this shit in.

um..I don't think this is a newly exposed crack..and it's not USA specific. What Trump has exposed is the number of Americans that are really stupid and gullible  is higher that previously thought.

31 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Conspiracy nutters like Shubie are real. They need to blame some “cabal” for their incel status, the need to live in mommies basement, and their all-around failure in modern society. 

I'm saying paid troll.  Nobody can be that dense. 

Please tell me I'm right.  I need to believe there aren't human brains made of solid concrete. 

4 minutes ago, Jules said:

Please tell me I'm right.  I need to believe there aren't human brains made of solid concrete. 

Unfortunately they can be that dense. That level of obstinate stupidity  is often associated with acquired brain injury. I've known a few when I worked in pubs years ago. Think the drunk in the Simpsons.

23 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

um..I don't think this is a newly exposed crack..and it's not USA specific. What Trump has exposed is the number of Americans that are really stupid and gullible  is higher that previously thought.

there are plenty ostensibly smart and successful people who've proven stupid and gullible when it comes to Trump. That's the point. 4 years into his campaign and they still treat him like every other politician (most of the time) insist his business dealings are completely legal (demonstrably false) and believe both partys are at fault.

6 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

there are plenty ostensibly smart and successful people who've proven stupid and gullible when it comes to Trump. That's the point. 4 years into his campaign and they still treat him like every other politician (most of the time) insist his business dealings are completely legal (demonstrably false) and believe both partys are at fault.

I know a number of intelligent and successful people who pay little or no attention to politics.  All they know is Republicans make them richer and so they vote for them.

At the other end of the spectrum are the people who gain little to nothing from what the Republicans do but vote for them out of fear - fear the government will take away their guns, fear liberals will take away their religion, fear Communism will take over this country...  These are Americans with limited intellectual capacity and therefore can be easily manipulated.  

1 hour ago, Jules said:

Shit, I could get paid for this?

Where do I send the invoice?

1 hour ago, Jules said:

This what prompted my question.  Congress is supposed to be the body of our government that declares war.  When our elected officials allowed the president to send troops into battle or pull them out without a declaration of war, we opened the door to a president being able to completely control the military at will.

Most likely this was allowed because it benefited the defense contractors, who are major contributors to politicians on both sides of the aisle.  But the Syria debacle exposed what could go wrong if the wrong guy was president. 

There has been no shortage of Americans who feel this undeclared war power bequeathed on the president is a violation of the War Powers Act but our bought off elected officials did nothing and fearful Americans approved of it.

While I agree that a new Nye Commission would be appropriate, I don't agree that the above is the most likely explanation. More likely, in my opinion, is the changing nature of war after WW II encouraged Congress to step away from it's Constitutional duties and the non-state originators of war lately have only encouraged this. The wholesale transfer of authority to the Executive after 9/11 was the road to where we are now.

they vote all the time

Please cite.    If it's "all the time" it should be easy for you.    All the time being at least in the thousands, if not tens or hundreds of thousands.....   since it's "all the time".

2 hours ago, jerseyguy said:

A gentlemen’s agreement breaks down when you are dealing with thugs

Basically this.  This is the simple concise statement of the matter.  The US system of government contains an assumption that the elected leaders are essentially acting in good faith, so if you get an obvious bad actor in the Presidency like Trump, then even a very limited mechanism like impeachment will be invoked to remedy the situation.

It doesn't factor in if that President's party controls the Senate that they would ignore even the most obvious malfeasance to preserve the Party's short term position.

So aside from impeachment there is only another election which can be years away.  Even if an election were blatantly stolen, and the cheating proven beyond doubt, once certified there is no remedy for that except another election two or four years away.

There should at minimum be something like the capacity for a vote of no confidence or a vote to call for new elections outside the mandated ones.

• Like 1

Presidents were first granted a pension for the benefit of President Truman.   The only other living Ex President was wealthy and Republican.   The sitting President enjoyed a military pension already.   The decision was made under Republican leadership because Truman had been scrupulous as a politician never to benefit from government influence.   As an Ex President he was forced to live with his mother in law since he refused any business opportunity that might lesson the prestige of the office he once held.   He wouldn't sell his name to a Florida real estate deal, for example.    His scruples seem quaint in the modern "Greed is good" era, but even Republicans were embarrassed for his poverty.  

Meanwhile politicians, mostly on the right, have deliberately eroded all trust in the traditional media.   Shubrook, if the poor deluded man is for real, is a classic example of many uneducated peasants in the left behind regions.   People lack the ability to objectively analyze information, whether it is the new fad diet or the new conspiracy theory.    They can pick and chose their beliefs like laundry detergent brands.   When reality is constantly shifting there is no objective truth.   No common goals will be acknowledged.   There can be no compromise.  Adults believe without evidence that Hunter Biden sold his name more shamefully then the Trump family does.   It is now normal for a Republican to use the power of the federal government to coerce foreign powers to find dirt on the family of a man who dares run against him.   

We have been a dominant power for so long those in leadership have no ability to fear outside influences.    In their feeble minds they are riding the tiger.  Fear is just a tool to control the masses.   Moscow Mitch and his comrades cannot imagine their actions actually threatening democracy.   The US overthrows dissenting governments, it is impervious to weaker countries.  Being men of power from the cold war, they mistake military might for might and fail to recognize the power of economics.   Computers are tools their minions use behind the scenes, so cybervulnerability goes beyond their limited imaginations.   Thus Senator McConnel feels no pang of treason when he long delays investigation of foreign election interference.  He holds his head high in public while shamelessly helping Trump trample the US Constitution.   

We meddle in foreign affairs so frequently we are perpetually at war.   As Trump has learned, there is no good way out.   But getting into the next one is all to easy, even Trump has fallen into the Saudi trap.   Congress is learning they have abdicated too much responsibility to the President, content to enjoy the stream of influence while poking fingers at the hard decisions made by the oval office.   Now there is an irrational idiot tweeting there, no more disciplined then the masses they have long manipulated.    Weapons opportunities that seemed too profitable to resist only a few years ago are now a source of US shame.   Brave allies die, soldiers blame, politicians waving the flag have no shield from disdain.   The Senate does nothing to regain their constitutional responsibilities.   That would be unpatriotic.   It would also require them to do their jobs.    

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, BrickTopHarry said:

So aside from impeachment there is only another election which can be years away.

And when you think of all Hitler accomplished during the first four years of being chancellor, waiting for the next election may be too late.

This exposes another crack in the system.  When it has become apparent the president is not in his right mind, we have to rely on people he appointed to remove him.  Which makes the 25th extremely weak.

14 minutes ago, Jules said:

And when you think of all Hitler accomplished during the first four years of being chancellor, waiting for the next election may be too late.

This exposes another crack in the system.  When it has become apparent the president is not in his right mind, we have to rely on people he appointed to remove him.  Which makes the 25th extremely weak.

Especially when judges are promoted for party purity instead of legal competence.   How long before political officers are assigned to military units to assure loyalty?   

• Like 1

Re: the OP - a giant, unwiped butt crack.

4 hours ago, shubrook said:

:lol: You proved her point nicely.

Could you understand it better if, instead of "Gulf" she said "This Space For Rent"?

1 hour ago, Lark said:

Especially when judges are promoted for party purity instead of legal competence.   How long before political officers are assigned to military units to assure loyalty?   

First they have to spend some time "cultivating" the field of military officers, just like they did the judges.

At some point they will try to hold a purge of generals/admirals. Things will already be pretty ugly, but they only get uglier from there on. Will the political officers be from the anti-abortion-nut party, or the gun-nut party?

- DSK

7 hours ago, Jules said:

Trump has surrounded himself with Nixon acolytes (and worse- think Cohn) who have been looking for some payback, and thinking deeply on what kept them from taking the country, so I’d say every crack they can find- trump et al are not riffing on this -  it is premeditated.  And it will not be that obvious to any outside of their circle.  There are going to be more cracks exposed and exploited, but I have not spent my professional life trying to game, circumvent, or destroy the system, so I’m not in a position to point them out.  I wish I were, because it would be nice to think all this didn’t have to happen. My main point of grief is that Trump et al have been sucking off the system they are fucking, so if it goes poof, they’re going to squeal like pigs while they faaaaaaaaaall.  Kind of like the banks in 2008-  there were still guys from Bear Sterns having colloquies saying how great things were going as Lehman imploded.  

Ass cracks mostly.

Let's hope honor and patriotism prevail and we ensure this never happens again.  Though I have little our party loyalists (Ds and Rs) can overcome their party first mentality.