FrenchyFred

New Android Sailing App : SailFreeGPS

Hello,

Sailor for 30 years, last November, I was making my first transatlantic!! Fantastic and how many memories...

But during these 15 days, I would have needed an app to see if the action of a trim (sheeting, easing, bending the mast, digging the sail, raising the tangon, ...) is positive or not.
So back, I created an Android SailFreeGPS App for smartphones or tablets that in addition to displaying COG, SOG, Compas, Position, displays graphics with speed and course history; You can thus see if the new trims are positive or not (despite the waves, gusts or calms).

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.frederic.sailfreegps

• Moreover, since the values from the GPS are too fluctuating on our smartphones (while we advance to 6 kt stable, speed fluctuates from 4 to 8 Kt), I added a "filtering function" (average of a number of points that you can adjust).
  • You can also adjust how many past you want to see (from 30s to 6h)
  • I also added a MOB function (I would not have expected to go to water in the 4-5m swell during the transatlantic) and a night mode.
  • You can see your past track on a map (google map), add Waypoints and activate goto function.
  • You can save your track to GPX or KML file and share it
  • Share waypoint by SMS, E-Mail, ... and import it into SailFreeGPS from received message (by copying it into the clipboard)
  • Record your TRIP and Max speed.
  • You can activate a night mode

Bref, you can enjoy !!! and do not hesitate to provide me feedbacks or suggestions : sailfreegps@gmail.com

Sorry for my bad english whistling.gif

Screenshot_1571031544.png

Screenshot_1559295022.png

Screenshot_1571032064.png

Screenshot_1559289878.png

SScreenshot_20190721-161810.png

• Like 2

Nice app with a nice interface.

We're currently using openCPN on Android and the interface for openCPN is a bit rough.  Sure would be nice to be able to have nautical maps like you can get in openCPN.

Thanks!!!

I use this app as the primary instrumentation in my dinghy. I wouldn't use it for serious planning due to the lack of charts, but the large numbers on the home screen are good for light duty use. I hadn't found the correct feature to keep the gps speed from bouncing around so much, this thread has hopefully directed me to the correct setting.

Looks good, but its Android so I'll wait to activate until I install OS 10 as it allows me to set location tracking to only "when in use". Its just a precaution on my side and not a criticism of the app.

Hello

New version 1.7.3 !!!

It contains a regatta menu where :
* you can set port and star mark
* it displays distance to line
* you can manage a countdown timer (with bips and flashs)

Now, you can also add a new waypoint by long click on the map. and other features ...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.frederic.sailfreegps

Fred

I installed it today and it looks interesting.  I can think of a number of ways it could be useful.  Thanks for making and sharing it.

20 hours ago, seaker said:

I installed it today and it looks interesting.  I can think of a number of ways it could be useful.  Thanks for making and sharing it.

what permissions does it ask for?

Hello

SailFreeGPS just need Location permission to run and if you want to store your track (GPX or KML) it will ask for storage perission

Fred

32 minutes ago, FrenchyFred said:

Hello

SailFreeGPS just need Location permission to run and if you want to store your track (GPX or KML) it will ask for storage perission

Fred

thanks.  i will give it a try on my tablet

Very nice display!  I start frostbite sailing in January on dinghies and used to use applications on my Pebble watch that is now dead.  Would you consider an app that sent the display to a Smart watch? (I have Samsung Galaxy watch - Tizon OS).  That way the phone stays dry in the pocket and the watch provides the necessary interface. The most needed function is start timer.  The next is wind shift but the filtered SOG and COG mirrored would be good.  On the Pebble there was a nice feature that allowed the wrist to be shaken to start the timer so no need to push buttons.

In the regatta mode, you should make a big timing sync button that moves the countdown timer to the nearest signal, for those times when you didn't quite manage to hit the button right on time.

Yeah, but that's a lot of steps when you are in a race sequence with a bunch of other stuff going on, you just want to hit a big button that syncs it - look at regatta watches, race timing systems (Velocitek's "Gun" button etc).

So your waiting for the gun and get distracted. You press start a few seconds late.

You use the countdown to keep an eye out for the next gun. When it goes off your counter is going to be a few seconds late (is 2:5s to go). Press the big button and blam it's on 2:00.

I have a Casio seapathfinder which has all the countdown functions, just not the synch button. I don't use it, bought an Optimum Time piece that does have it.

Very cool app.  Trying out at home right now.  Has some very useful features, and simple to use. 

Later today I'll see how it works in my truck.   Looking forward to trying it out on the boat next spring.  Thanks FrenchFred!

Good job Fred!. Keep developing. Just joined the beta program. Way point navigation is very good. 

Is there a way to purchase? The ads at the bottom are annoying. 

I'm sure you have a list a mile long of new features coming... but maybe consider being able to set exclusion zones via waypoints,  for lake sailors who have to avoid certain areas of the lake (shallow,  or submerged trees etc), with an alarm once entering the exclusion zone. 

Oh and an anchor alarm if it's not already there :)

Don't you all have people to manage this stuff?  You just feed them sandwiches and they are glad to help.

On 12/30/2019 at 10:57 PM, Left Shift said:

Don't you all have people to manage this stuff?  You just feed them sandwiches and they are glad to help.

It could be useful!!!

Wow, I'm impressed! Will use it when we sail on other boats, or if our nav goes down (shit happens).

Merci beaucoup,

Greg

Hello,

New small release increasing the number of available waypoints to 8
New menu containing Beaufort and Douglas scale
Few bug fix

Fred

Hello,

I have released the version 1.9 containing   anchor alarm function.
Let me know if it works correctly, may be testing it in your garden, like me !!!

Fred

3 hours ago, FrenchyFred said:

Hello,

I have released the version 1.9 containing   anchor alarm function.
Let me know if it works correctly, may be testing it in your garden, like me !!!

Fred

Awesome!!!!!. New anchor roller going on boat today. Lots of testing will be done starting in about 4 weeks.

I like it!

Sent you an email with a few ideas.

Thanks for your efforts.

I too would purchase one for a reasonable fee.

Hello,

Here it is !!! I have created a premium version with no ads and a lot of extra features.

Fred

Screenshot_1589124388.thumb.png.b8e100d5cfb3b8aa25d64a5e67299976.png

Screenshot_1589125440.thumb.png.044dab6089dd4474bc80a479f1400c11.pngersion with no

• Like 2

Speaking of ads: @Editor you gonna let Frenchy stink up the place without: a) buying an ad or b) showing us his GF tits?

Fred,  in the regatta menu after the countdown timer has reached zero,  how about flipping over to the main screen automatically after the start?   having to get to the tablet and press a button to switch screens is a pita since i usually race alone

• Like 1

Fred,

It would be really nice to have the current time shown in the status bar at the top e.g. between the hamburger menu icon and the mob icon.