Sign in to follow this  
LOLSailor

Looking For a J36:

Looking for a J36 for sale.  The 2 options on Yacht World are no longer considerations. I don’t mind a small project, but am not interested in a rebuild. Moisture on deck OK, but don’t want to get involved below the waterline.  Yes, I am very familiar with the problems these boats have.  If you have one and are considering selling, please let me know. Based in CT. 

Chris

Check Kijiji Nova Scotia. Used to be one for sale there for the longest time. Almost giving it away. Also there are two at my club that would probably sell. 

How much you thinking of spending?

MAY2019memday.jpg

My dad has one for a bit I loved that boat miss the hell out of it

Knowing the age and issues of these boats I would be willing to pay around $28,000.00 for the right boat. 

12 hours ago, PaulK said:

How much you thinking of spending?

MAY2019memday.jpg

Considering the age and issues these boats have I would spend around $28,000.00 for the right boat.  Though the boats I have seen so far are not even in the ballpark. 

13 hours ago, George Hackett said:

Being the J35 grew out of the 36,,,,aJ36 rig should work well in a 35?  

Maybe, maybe not.  Expensive experiment unless you have an extra rig and a hull lying around. Imagine if things like rod shrouds are 6” too short  from one to the other.  Perhaps you’d need new headsails, since the J measurements are different and sheet angles might not be quite right.  The engine on the J/36 is under the salon table, so balance could be affected as well. Bit of a thread wander.  We do like the fractional rig on the J/36 because in heavy winds (we’ve been out in 40+ knots) the jib can be fully furled and the boat can still work to windward under a reefed (if needed) main.  Hitting 12.5 knots dead downwind under a reefed main is also a thrill.  Maybe that’s why LOL is looking for one.

J36 was a deluxe ride in it's time.  Sailing on WAGS was a gas in the land of once upon a time.  

But that was long ago and the standard J construction issues would be well expressed in each of them by now, although some obviously more than others.  Plus the usual suspects of maintenance and operator error multiplied by time and salt. 

I would love to have one shipped in from 1982 (or whenever it was) via wormhole or Wayback Machine.  Wonderful boats. 

Wish you good luck in finding one that has been well tended rather than the more probable version.