Editor

prize givings

trophies1.jpg
We love trophies, especially good ones.  There are certainly plenty of lousy ones, but we think trophies should  be bitchin'. No matter the size or cost of your boat to go racing, getting on the podium should always be recognized with something cool to put on the mantle.

That brings to mind the trophies pictured above (from a Laser 4.7 regatta) - very creative.  The mighty A4 won this beautiful example of a great trophy this summer. 

So what do you have that's either really good or really awful? Post it.

• Like 1

Only one I've ever kept out for more than a month (the time it takes for my wife to disappear this stuff) is a half hull, from a place in Florida (Nobel?).  I also enjoy map-type plaques.  

Just now, GMiller said:

Only one I've ever kept out for more than a month (the time it takes for my wife to disappear this stuff) is a half hull, from a place in Florida (Nobel?).  I also enjoy map-type plaques.  

Noble made my wood trophy - the guy does great work!

Way back in 2001 or so we raced the "Corinthian 200" out of Marblehead. They paired us with another B-40 in what was essentially a match race to Portland Morse "A" buoy and back. 

We didn't know enough to go inside at dawn and took a 2nd behind a well sailed local boat. 

Got called up about a month later that we had missed the prize giving due to leaving to deliver home 30+ miles with sick crew. 

A very nice bowl on a wooden stand for "2nd in Class D" aka DFL. 

1 hour ago, Editor said:

trophies1.jpg
We love trophies, especially good ones.  There are certainly plenty of lousy ones, but we think trophies should  be bitchin'. No matter the size or cost of your boat to go racing, getting on the podium should always be recognized with something cool to put on the mantle.

That brings to mind the trophies pictured above (from a Laser 4.7 regatta) - very creative.  The mighty A4 won this beautiful example of a great trophy this summer. 

nice trophies,  but if they're so big, they don't go in the bookcase very well , small plaques are nice, you can hammer those to the wall..

without shilling for the guy,  but that guy making "sailing trophies" in lincoln nebraska  made some really nice acrylic trophies for us, with very fast service..  just sayin''   very happy customer

Got way too many etched tumblers and engraved monkey pod bowls.  Those laser cut metal Laser trophies would be a keepsake, that's for sure.  Props to whomever sourced them for their regatta.

I ran a couple J35 regattas out of my club here on the bay in 09,10,11 and always managed to get a photographer out on the water to get a good action photo of every boat. by prizegiving I could get prints made and framed with the regatta and place details on the glass for each boat daily and overall. these went along with some nice little plaques. I think people enjoyed the framed pics of their boat more than the plaques.

• Like 2

Lets focus on who gives out the trophies

7735598282_ac17b2d0d6_b.jpg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, VWAP said:

Mabey we neede thicke oute of boxe and rethick what a trophey cane be,,,,,,,,               :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snaggletooth said:

Mabey we neede thicke oute of boxe and rethick what a trophey cane be,,,,,,,,               :)

Those are trophies in training. Just waiting for a good offer sufficient to pay the bill for the integral pfds.

j24.thumb.jpg.9215ae52c5be1eebb8f54a9b3a5ee7b6.jpg
I"ve had this one on my shelf for a while.  Etched glass on oak base.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Frank White said:

Oakland Yacht Club gave a Lead Ingot to the winner of the Columbia 5.5 class not that long ago. 

DCD524A3-8085-4FDC-A495-2ACA4897D352.jpeg

Doubt it was "the Club" as they don't give ingots to any other class.. unless that was the weekend "tunaFest" regatta, in which case Nuff said.. though it is certainly their bar. 

(disclosure: I am a member there..) 

14 hours ago, Editor said:

trophies1.jpg

My club had the Autumn Cup (guess which one) and the Indian Summer Regatta -End of season get ready for winter winner's Library - where you could check out a book and return it in a year. Different.

DSC_0116.JPG

9 hours ago, DarkHorse said:

Image result for trophy wife costume

My friend has a Trophy Wife.  Unfortunately, it’s not First Place!

6 hours ago, Frank White said:

Oakland Yacht Club gave a Lead Ingot to the winner of the Columbia 5.5 class not that long ago. 

DCD524A3-8085-4FDC-A495-2ACA4897D352.jpeg

Kind of fitting, for Drew!  Kidding, he’s a good sailor and funny as hell!

• Like 1

My summer club has about 150 different trophies to be awarded at the dinner next week. Most are traditional silver cups, some over 100 years old. There are a few different ones though, minature rum barrel which is always awarded with a bottle of pussers rum. A silver rose Bowl that was given originally to a retiring  director Of Nottingham Forrest Football club.

You also get engraved glasses to keep.

wish I could find the images, but similar to this Kiwi product in picture - years ago I once made for one series some concrete 'tablets' (about 10x3cm mounted on timber) & another a tiara and straw (also mounted on timber - 'suck it up princess' award) ... must do it again

image.png.506a3524c641bf2e3a609f4c9ae03151.png

On 10/23/2019 at 11:37 AM, o30_oldschool said:

image.thumb.png.94fad27166ee96cd14af861dc2746291.png

Gawd awful ugly trophy! Though the backlighting helps.

The worst trophies I've seen were place mats. First got a dining table size, second, side plate and third a coaster.  Have to a gazillion race series to get a set.

• Like 1

My best trophies are the ones my wife lets me keep in the house.

1989 Prindle Classic - the local fleet in San Antonio handmade stained glass catamarans, they are by far the coolest and most beautiful trophy I ever won.  This one is a little bent after 30 years & many moves.

2007 Ruff Riders - this is 3rd place, so its pretty small the 1st place ones were much bigger.  Its a 3D model of 2 catamaran crew on trapeze, done in wood, laser cut.

2017 AYC - beautiful handmade glass tile artwork.  It came with a stand, but it looks so good in the window just by itself.

Prindle_Classic_1989.jpg

Ruff_Riders_2007.jpg

AYC 2017.jpg

• Like 1

Personally, flags are my fav because you can put em up at regattas....

Pictures with regatta details are great as well as they give the non sailor over at house some perspective as to what all the shit on the mantle is for.  

Hand painted tiles adorn quite a few bars in houses in our fleet,

Ships bells are cool for crew...

Clothing, Great for the weekend of the regatta, otherwise save em for the raffle. 

The rest..  They are what they are...  

15 minutes ago, shaggy said:

Personally, flags are my fav because you can put em up at regattas....

Do you neede a snagge flagge?  Letteme no.                                      :)

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 3:03 PM, VWAP said:

I maye notte halve beene cleare, butte I woude wearer thoise shorttes asa trophey afterwads ...............            :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snaggletooth said:

I maye notte halve beene cleare, butte I woude wearer thoise shorttes asa trophey afterwads ...............            :)

One of the twins said  all of  your junk wouldn't  fit in those shorts.

Weird, why would carry a bunch of junk with you and they have no pockets

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

The most coveted trophy of them all.

image.png.28475b6d168071c26730a6ca25b3d816.png

5 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Be careful in Key West wearing those, Gator suddenly found he had more attention than he wanted wearing his. 

Mathew Monts (skipper), Tristan DeMarzo  - F16 Nationals first place 
Robbie Daniel (coach)

Clearwater Fl

image1.jpeg

On 10/25/2019 at 5:54 PM, mad said:

Be careful in Key West wearing those, Gator suddenly found he had more attention than he wanted wearing his. 

You are meant to wear them on your head

• Like 1

University of Florida sailing team hosted a spring regatta back in the 80s and there was an old sunfish on blocks at the presentation ceremony.   As each position was called out, a person wrote it down on a section of the boat and another proceeded to cut that out with a sawzall.   The overall 1st place team trophy was the bow of the boat.   Last place points team got the transom.

I wish I had pictures from that.    That is one way to get rid of old boats!

- Stumbling

• Downvote 1

16 hours ago, Ease the sheet. said:

What are the chances of you getting another?

Zero because that race is now dead. But I won it 5 times and it is the only major offshore trophy in the country that WOXI never won. 

• Like 2

My all-time favourite and coveted trophy.  Never won it, but came fairly close a few times.

It's obviously now retired, but there are ever-boiling plans to resuscitate.

The Admiral's Cup

• Like 3

It was my summer sailing clubs prize giving and dinner last night,  here are a few of the clubs trophies 

73390763_2599219253467277_989668423296352256_n.jpg

Must go, today is the winter sailing club's dinghy and keelboat open ,  (keelboats =  no cabin up to 25ft) I have the keelboat trophy to return,  as we cannot complete this year  due to my sailing compatriot being injured. I'm on rescue boat duty instead.

• Like 2

On 10/25/2019 at 2:54 AM, mad said:

It depend on which side of Duval St you’re trolling, fella!;)

20 hours ago, LB 15 said:

(...) and it is the only major offshore trophy in the country that WOXI never won.  

Did they get  DSQ'd ?

On 10/24/2019 at 4:05 PM, jnye said:

These...

Geartester Trophies.jpg

hey, i have one of those. that was one of my favorite prizes. I use it all the time  and inside were some tools too :-)

3 minutes ago, dacapo said:

hey, i have one of those. that was one of my favorite prizes. I use it all the time  and inside were some tools too :-)

Like a Porsche. 

17 hours ago, The Q said:

It was my summer sailing clubs prize giving and dinner last night,  here are a few of the clubs trophies 

73390763_2599219253467277_989668423296352256_n.jpg

Must go, today is the winter sailing club's dinghy and keelboat open ,  (keelboats =  no cabin up to 25ft) I have the keelboat trophy to return,  as we cannot complete this year  due to my sailing compatriot being injured. I'm on rescue boat duty instead.

Lots of racing ; Lots of Pottery ;Cups ; Plaques But for me ,this Year end trophy going back a few years .And made by one of our club members ; Still is my Fave !!DSCN0215.thumb.JPG.4f282216d835e4fd21c81c2a42424a98.JPG

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fisher2 said:

Lots of racing ; Lots of Pottery ;Cups ; Plaques But for me ,this Year end trophy going back a few years .And made by one of our club members ; Still is my Fave !!DSCN0215.thumb.JPG.4f282216d835e4fd21c81c2a42424a98.JPG

verrey nice!                    :)

I always liked the Island Sailing Club's pewter pint tankards, awarded in the Round The Island Race. 

They are excellent to hang up in your favorite club or pub (or several, if you win more than one), and make a good pint of ale a bit more memorable every time.

Image result for round the island race pewter tankard

On 10/27/2019 at 12:24 AM, P_Wop said:

My all-time favourite and coveted trophy.  Never won it, but came fairly close a few times.

It's obviously now retired, but there are ever-boiling plans to resuscitate.

The Admiral's Cup

Ted Heath gave me this one in Plymouth.

Martin Illingworth Torphy

And in August this year I bagged this one with my 4 kt sh*tbox against much bigger competition

WP_20191103_19_51_40_Pro

Both worlds apart but the last one wins it :-)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Laser1 said:

And in August this year I bagged this one with my 4 kt sh*tbox against much bigger competition

WP_20191103_19_51_40_Pro

Both worlds apart but the last one wins it :-)

That is a very cool trophy.

• Like 1