Carrera

Cobham Sailor Fleet One antenna mounting options

Anyone out there with options for temporarily mounting a Cobham Sailor Fleet One antenna? We rent one at least once a year for a week's time but I have yet to find an antenna mounting solution that I like. The standard pole mount solution requires the installation of a large/heavy pole, which I would like to avoid since it is not a permanent installation. The only rail mount options I can find are for 1" rails and we have 7/8" rails which causes obvious problems.

Any other thoughts or ideas?

Split a heater hose to wrap the rail to increase the OD? 

You can use electrical tape and just keep wrapping it until you get the diameter you want. Then use your oversize mount.

I would not recommend either electrical tape or rubber hose. The Fleet antenna is sufficiently tall and heavy that with enough pounding, it will rotate around and become useless.

Instead, it's easy enough to build a base plate and attach that to your pulpit with suitable u-bolts.

8 hours ago, Moonduster said:

I would not recommend either electrical tape or rubber hose. The Fleet antenna is sufficiently tall and heavy that with enough pounding, it will rotate around and become useless.

Instead, it's easy enough to build a base plate and attach that to your pulpit with suitable u-bolts.

I'm starting to lean this route. I've found the base plates available for ~$100 and my thought is to make something semi-custom. My only question is do you think a u-bolt type mount will be able to apply enough friction force on the rail to prevent the unit from unintentionally rotating due to pounding in a lumpy sea-state? The 1" rail mounts are an ~3" long, 2-piece compression sleeve type device that I imagine gives a lot of clamping force that I'm not sure a u-bolt solution would give.

Another thought I had, similar to other ideas mentioned above, was to take a 3" section of a standard garden hose, split it, and use this as an "insert" in the 1" rail mount option.

You can get 3/4" u bolts. They'll give an excellent positive clamping force.

You can make a base plate from marine ply for ten dollars.