Sign in to follow this  
Gouvernail

J-24 Worlds Results 2019

Anyone see the race 5 incident at the 2nd weather mark rounding between the 3rd boat Rossi and 4th boat Velocidad?  I'm thinking Rossi might eat a DSQ on that one.  Anyone else?

All top boats 5000+ series hull numbers...except the double digit one.  WTF.  How does a 40 yo boat beat a 4 year old one?  Like Brady beating the much young Dak Prescott?  Wait...bad comparison...but you get the idea!

The boat in the  lead is from about 2002 . I know it sailed the whole Texas Circuit twice before 2005 because the owner decided to try J-22 in 2005. 

16 hours ago, JimBowie said:

All top boats 5000+ series hull numbers...except the double digit one.  WTF.  How does a 40 yo boat beat a 4 year old one?  Like Brady beating the much young Dak Prescott?  Wait...bad comparison...but you get the idea!

Its usually the archer and not the arrow.......

• Like 2

Interesting.., the camera  has the worst of angles for judging three boat lengths but it is possible to count seconds per boat length as the leader appears on the camera to sail one length after tacking. 
It appeared in the video The lead boat finished its tack almost exactly one length from the mark .... but... I think the camera angle is such that the lead  boat was actually much further from the mark than one boat length. The camera was above and  forward of the layline and at about 1:30 to 2 o’clock off the bow of that lead boat. 
Anyway... I counted to 3.5  while that apparent one boat length closed. 

I counted 2.5 from the time Tony Parker’s bow hid the buoy to when it appeared behind the transom. 

the lead  boat was just tacking and certainly moving a little slower than the outside weather boat that was in the protest. 
Parker has also just tacked but was accelerating to a reach 

I counted 10.5 from when bow 62 tacked until it’s bow reached the buoy. 

as the angle  is not so good for making  this call I won’t be silly enough to say I am sure of anything but here is what I think:

Bow 62 crossed “Head to wind” outside the circle . 
in fact, I think bow 62 completed its tack with its bow still outside the circle by about half a boat length to as much as four boat lengths .

meanwhile #76 was on Starboard for a long time. I do not believe #76 entered the zone before #62 either crossed head to wind or completed its tack. 

The rule is written poorly. It is not absolutely clear whether a boat that passes head to wind inside the zone is obligated with respect only to those already in the  zone or any boat on starboard tack who shows up. 

in this case I don’t think it matters because I think #62 passed head to wind well outside the zone. 

I think #76, sailing at full speed, arrived at the zone to weather of #62 about two to four seconds after #62 completed its tack and perhaps one second after #62. 

summary: I think #76 was obligated to keep clear and #62 was obligated as a boat assuming new right of way to give #76 Adequate time to respond.

Everybody played nice 

The protest was sportsmanlike:

I believe #76 could easily  have believed #62 had crossed head to wind in the zone.

My clock says #62 not only passed head to wind but finished its tack outside the zone.

i see no foul 

• Like 2

I came to the same conclusion. No foul.

The protesting crew need to learn how to promptly fly a protest flag and yell less. But I concur, no foul.

The tactician welling at the other crew is a Boy in Blue. He's more interested in justifying his $2000 a day fee to the skipper than actually following the RRS. Pathetic...

Note: I didn’t even look at the names of the sailors. I have absolutely nothing to gain or lose by saying either boat seems more correct..... except I would look foolish if I am wrong...., or like an ass if I were to be insistent about being right. 

meanwhile: the scores certainly indicate it was fantastic tight racing throughout the series and throughout the fleet.  I would  have enjoyed playing with that crowd. 
   If sailboat Racing could be like that more often the game would probably be a whole lot more popular. 

Biscayne Bay is a fantastic venue and it was an amazingly deep fleet.  Definitely looking forward to Corpus Christi in 2022!  It's a long way off, but @Gouvernail you need to help rally that strong TX J24 contingent back into action!  Never too early to talk it up.