martin.langhoff

Velocitek SpeedPuck -- Battery life?

Love my speedpuck. However, it slowly drains its batteries when stored, due to the 'soft' on/off button. To avoid that, I open it and flip one battery after and before each outing. As a result of opening and fidding every time with potentially salty wet hands/gloves, sailty moisture is trapped. In addition, the flipped-back batteries perform badly, for reasons I haven't yet figured out.

As a weekend warrior, I sail ~3hs once a week. Sometimes I sneak an extra outing in the week, sometimes I skip an outing. No matter what I do, the batteries are always either reporting 'empty' on screen or actually empty (and the puck therefore inoperative).

What's the best battery strategy for a weekend warrior? Is there a fix?

I have noticed the same issue. The SP seems to suck up batteries. I switchhte battery around at home where it is drier. Failing that, the batteries are dead...

I have seven rechargeable batteries, 3 in the Speedpuck and 4 on charge (it needs 4 to work) at home. A fresh set will last a day's sailing and there's always another set ready to go. I try (to remember) not to leave them in the SP if its not going to be used soon.

@martin.langhoff, the SpeedPuck does have a small draw on the batteries even when the device is powered off. We recommend removing the batteries between uses if you're not sailing the following day. If you really want to pamper your SpeedPuck store it indoors, batteries out, and the battery compartment open.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, velocitek said:

@martin.langhoff, the SpeedPuck does have a small draw on the batteries even when the device is powered off. We recommend removing the batteries between uses if you're not sailing the following day. If you really want to pamper your SpeedPuck store it indoors, batteries out, and the battery compartment open.

Thank you! Is there any guidance on normal lifetime of batteries with the unit switched off and on?

I know it's a gnarly question - but a reference dataset would be useful. Ie: with a set of fresh batteries of brand X, we typically get N hours of use. When "off", every 24hs the unit consumes M% of a full battery, or the equivalent of P minutes of operation.

It's the kind of data that your hw team will have.

5 hours ago, martin.langhoff said:

Thank you! Is there any guidance on normal lifetime of batteries with the unit switched off and on?

I know it's a gnarly question - but a reference dataset would be useful. Ie: with a set of fresh batteries of brand X, we typically get N hours of use. When "off", every 24hs the unit consumes M% of a full battery, or the equivalent of P minutes of operation.

It's the kind of data that your hw team will have.

The capacity of an alkaline AA battery is about 1600 mAH. The SpeedPuck consumes about 0.5 mA when it is powered off. The SpeedPuck consumes about 115 mA when it is powered on.

A SpeedPuck will completely drain a set of AA batteries in about 4 months when powered off.

• Like 2

On 10/29/2019 at 4:23 PM, velocitek said:

The capacity of an alkaline AA battery is about 1600 mAH. The SpeedPuck consumes about 0.5 mA when it is powered off. The SpeedPuck consumes about 115 mA when it is powered on.

A SpeedPuck will completely drain a set of AA batteries in about 4 months when powered off.

Good to know. Thanks. What about the ProStart consumption numbers?

22 hours ago, Irrational 14 said:

Good to know. Thanks. What about the ProStart consumption numbers?

The ProStart consumes about 0.5 mA when it is powered off and about 160 mA when it is powered on.

• Like 1

As a follow up, I've changed to using Energizer lithium batteries, and I no longer remove/flip batteries between sails. Sailing weekly as usual, 2-4hs outings. The battery icon still shows full. Batteries installed late October.