sledracr

Good source for VPC line?

I really like New England's VPC, and have used a fair amount of it over the last couple of years, changing things over on my 6ksb.

Usually got it from APS, abusing their once-a-year 25% off sail on line and rigging stuff.  Now that they don't carry actual boat stuff anymore, I need a new source.

Fisheries doesn't sell VPC, West's price is horrible and Defender's is almost as bad (especially when you add in shipping).

Any better options?

Heh.  Not to be an ass, but... already mentioned West and Defender, and didn't bother mentioning P2 because their price is even WORSE than West's.

I know where to find VPC.  What I don't know is where to find it at a better price...

5 minutes ago, sledracr said:

Heh.  Not to be an ass, but... already mentioned West and Defender, and didn't bother mentioning P2 because their price is even WORSE than West's.

I know where to find VPC.  What I don't know is where to find it at a better price...

Oh man I failed hard. My apologies. It is that kind of day.

• Like 1

To make amends, I have been searching for you. You are right there are no better prices. I do have a question, is $8 for UPS really too much? That is how much it is quoted for 100'. Seems reasonable to me.

<lol> no amends necessary.  And, no, the shipping isn't a huge problem. 

For reference, I'm looking at getting 8mm VPC, ~120' each of red-fleck and green-fleck

West has it at $1.29/foot, so that's about $310, free shipping to store near me, but 10% (Washington) sales tax makes it ~$340
P2 has it at $1.31/foot, but shipping is cheaper than tax, so (assuming) no sales tax, that's ~$315 plus shipping
Defender has it at $1.10/foot, that's $264 plus shipping, better...

But last time I bought it from APS, I got it for $0.83/foot, shipped, no tax, $198 total.

I really want to find something like that last thing <grin>  $8 shipping doesn't bother me, but an extra $60-150 for the line does.

What about the annual Defender Warehouse sale in the spring when it's discounted down 25% or so? Also do you have any friends with Port Supply? What about Vela where it will come out to free shipping?

OOoh, forgot about Vela, thanks!  They're usually a little cheaper than West, I'll give 'em a look.

And, yeah, not in a super-hurry, so if nothing gets my heart-rate up I'll just wait for the Defender spring sale.

Thanks!

3 hours ago, woodpecker said:

Has anyone find a source with splicing work as good a APS? Every splice job I got from them was a work of art. 

Like someone who does it for work and likes doing it?

3 hours ago, woodpecker said:

APS? Every splice job I got from them was a work of art. 

Agreed.  They did the prettiest "core dependent" splicing I've ever seen.

10 hours ago, sledracr said:

Fisheries doesn't sell VPC, West's price is horrible 

West Marine at Elliot Bay is moving and selling line for 75% off according to one FB rumor.  

I prefer Samson XLS Extra to VPC for the same price. Less stretch, feels nicer in the hand, easier to splice, comes in lots of colors. I haven’t bought it in years, maybe it isn’t around anymore?

3 minutes ago, Alex W said:

I prefer Samson XLS Extra to VPC

XLS Extra got retired a few years back.  XLS3 is the current version, but I haven't used any.

I wonder if my local West store will "price match" the 75%-off at the Elliott Bay store.... hmmmm...

2 hours ago, sledracr said:

XLS Extra got retired a few years back.  XLS3 is the current version, but I haven't used any.

I wonder if my local West store will "price match" the 75%-off at the Elliott Bay store.... hmmmm...

XLS3 is just the latest colors of XLS, MLX is the product from Samson that occupies the same niche that XLS-extra did.

20 hours ago, sledracr said:

Agreed.  They did the prettiest "core dependent" splicing I've ever seen.

Wonder what the splicers who worked there are doing now. Restocking clothing racks? 
The last halyard I bought from them was $800. Hard to imagine you can't make money off of that.
I guess you can double your money on clothing?

The splicers are now working for Bacon's.  You'll have to call for line prices.  Not on the website.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2019 at 8:21 PM, sledracr said:

Guys at West Marine told me yesterday that they will only price match prices advertized and fulfilled by Amazon. No other 3rd parties. They must have struck a deal with Amazon.

What splicing technique do you use for VPC Class ! or Class 2 core dependent? Us ing it for spin halyard

Class 2. Core dependent because of the vectran 

5 hours ago, Gracious said:

What splicing technique do you use for VPC Class ! or Class 2 core dependent? Us ing it for spin halyard